• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

mclem

seb said:
Well there's BC and BC. Wouldn't you rebuy FF12 HD ala GOW HD ?
I *really* need to get around to setting up Backloggery or similar. I'm sitting here thinking "Do I already have FF12? I... I don't remember..."

jett

D-Member
We don't know anything about this supposed emulator. If I had to guess what it really is that it's not an emulator but more of a streamlined process of porting PS2 games to the PS3. Emulating that thing is such a fucking bitch, not even half of my PS2 games run properly or at all on PCSX2.

seb said:
Well there's BC and BC. Wouldn't you rebuy FF12 HD ala GOW HD ?

You're asking someone that can't tell the difference between SD and HD. :p

androvsky

SlipperySlope said:
It does sound to me like the emulator will be only for downloaded games. I'd like confirmation on this.

Keep in mind these are notes from a publisher's meeting, they probably don't care if existing discs are playable or not. Even with that, there's still no hint that it's download-only, let alone re-purchase only.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It's going to be interesting seeing Sony work this back into their PR, my guess is they are going to go the "You asked for it, and we always listen to our consumers demands" angle.

Still, I have a BC Ps3, but I can't be bothered to go around looking for obscure PS2 games I want to play, but can't find a copy of. Plus I don't have enough room on my shelf :(. So you bring up Ps2 'classics' for 9.99-19.99, and you'll get some of my money.

stuburns said:
PSO working on PSN is the obvious mega hit though, the PS3 actually has nothing like that worth playing at the moment.

This would make me pretty much ignore my 360 if this happened. I would play this constantly unless they of course charged for it.

lyre

Thrakier said:
That's true, I would love a downloadable version of nocturne though. ;)
Only if it had true 720p non-last gen graphics, consistent 60 frames a second, a new hat and true 7.1 digital sound or the hell with the game up its ass.

DCharlie

Banned
So you bring up Ps2 'classics' for 9.99-19.99, and you'll get some of my money.

i think the "import store" is going to be of more value to people, seeing how the PS1 library has worked out for Eu/US and how it's been pretty good for JPN.

I dunno - the PS1 roll out of games has been a mixed bag and that thing has BC in every machine, so i am not holding out much hope for a huge dump of PS2 games (and i still think this report is fake or details are plain wrong , i don't care where it was at - though not for PS2 emu reasons)

Madman

stuburns said:
I guess people think that because we don't know if emulation in that manner is even possible. It might be that to do this they need to do something to the games on an individual basis, that being the case, it could be very possible only the PSN releases would work for non-BC units.
It seems they that BC on an individual basis is the most likely idea. The interview about the God of War ports on IGN seem to say that:
IGN said:
Let me start with some more generalized questions because the hot issue these days is backwards-compatability with PlayStation 2 games. So to clarify first off, is this package a "port" where you actually went in and changed the code to work on the PlayStation 3 as a PS3-specific title, or is this something that's running inside of an emulator?

John Hight: Well, I don't necessary agree with just the terminology "port", but given those two limited options, then we'd have to put it in the "port" category. We haven't developed general purpose code that would now work for every PS2 title out there. Basically what we wanted to do was we wanted to remaster [the games], and we've done a lot of things to not only have it run on the PS3 but also make it look better, perform smoother and have a little bit extra functionality.

So how difficult was it for you to move it over to the PS3? A lot of people wanted to see God of War go there, but also things like the Team ICO stuff and a lot of other classic PS2 games. How difficult was it to move the game over, and do you think that this would be something feasible for other studios to do?

John Hight: Well, that goes back to how games were developed in the first place. For us, it wasn't too difficult because, and I'll brag on our engineering team, but the code they developed is pretty straightforward, well-documented, we don't do a lot of assembler programming, it's all straight C… Some teams have developed their own scripting language or whatever that would then require a translation of that interpreter over to the PS3 - we don't do that, it's straight C, so it made that aspect a lot cleaner. Plus, the other thing is that we've had very little attrition in our engineering team in our history of this studio, so the guys that originally wrote the code for God of War 1 are right here. Some of them worked on the port, some of them were able to offer, "Oh yeah, this is what's going on here. This part of the code's important" or "Don't worry, that part of the code's not important, you can ignore that", so it made it go a lot smoother, to have those guys around.

HUELEN10

lyre said:
Only if it had true 720p non-last gen graphics, consistent 60 frames a second, a new hat and true 7.1 digital sound or the hell with the game up its ass.
You do know that if that happens, the "purists" will raise hell, right? :lol

yurinka

I think in addition to reduce PS3 cost, they removed PS2 BC because PS2 HW was still generating profit, and PS3 HW was loosing money with every console sold.

Once they start generating profit with PS3 HW and the PS2 HW stop selling (I think it will happen in 2010), I think PS2 BC will be back (maybe in 2010/2011).

Seeing how fast runs PS2 emulated in PC, I think memory bandwith won't be a problem applying Sony's HW knowledge. Maybe it won't be stricly emulated, and maybe won't happen with 90%+ PS2 library like with HW BC, but it will happen.

PS2 gaming library has tons of potential profit as paid downloadable games, and would be stupid to ignore it.

Some of my friends say with the current console price and game library they would buy a PS3 if it was BC. So after recent pricecut, the upcoming AAA releases and services (movie store, etc) I think PS2 and DC BC (or downloadable only) will be the next PS3 sell point in addition to 3D games+3D movies and Wand.

After that the next one would be a $50 price cut in 2011. So I think both 2010 and 2011 will be another time The year of the PS3. :p

Madman said:
It seems they that BC on an individual basis is the most likely idea. The interview about the God of War ports on IGN seem to say that:
Well, as a I game programmer I understand it in other way:

I think it's ported more than emulated.

But their original GOW1 & 2 code was good enough to not to be very hardware dependent and well documented to port it without a lot of effort.

Sounds like they already had ported (and enhaced, obviously) their engine / toolkit to PS3 for GOW3, so some things from GOW1 & GOW2 would work directly. And they say the original coders are there, helping where needed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
lyre said:
No one cares about last gen games when they can play PS3's awesome library of exclusives in true HD and 7.1 sound.™
Bah. 7.1 is old news, bring on the 10.2!
102.jpg

Oh, and since I still have it open, and the doc is down, here is what it said in full if anyone wants to see:
SCEA Meeting Aug 5th Notes
Aug 6 2009 – DRAFT FOR COMMENTS

Objectives of Meeting
 Dyer agreed to regular quarterly meetings with SOA

Sony PS3
 SCEA reiterated plans to sell 13 million PS3s this year
 Big announcement back half of year they can’t talk about (potentially price cut of PS3 to reach hardware goals)
 SCEA commented on indexing between PS3 and 360 SKUs, should be around 2:1 to garner most favorable treatment.

Motion Controller
 Spring 2010 launch (March in JP)
 No bundle/pricing details yet, should come Sept 1
 Plan on selling 4-5MM units WW
 SCEA agreed to provide a list of Sega IP that would work well with the motion controller, Virtua Tennis was an example
 Motion Controller support allows easy way to differentiate PS3 SKU
 Other differentiation opportunities include PSP/PS3 interoperability – think of features that would make users want to buy both PS3 and PSP SKUs.

Alpha Protocol
 Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. “Mass Effect felt more RPG.”
 Review notes sent to John Merlino a few weeks prior. After meeting Gerald mentioned AP is a high priority for his team.

Planet 51
 Sell in of PS3 SKU – SCEA noted that other movie titles on PS3 had underperformed as well (inc. Transformers) this cycle.
 Dyer suggests contacting Susan at Walmart and asking what she wants in the pack to sell this SKU (movie tix etc)
 Other possibilities are Hybrid movie disc (BD 25 or 50 with Game and Movie on same disc).

Bayonetta
 Collectors edition with Bayonetta Action Figure
 Novo recommended launching PSN demo around Xmas based off a Jan 5th Ship date with 2-3 week run out to launch.
 3-4 weeks is usually ideal demo timing with fresh content every week leading up to launch (trailers, insider video about PG heritage, video blogs).

Vancouver 2010
 HOME, Olympic destination would garner a lot of positive attention from SCEA
 Should be doing same with Bayonetta, Marvel etc. Easy to launch in all territories.
 HOME merchandizing opportunities (clothes etc).

Sonic Racing
 Open to DLC to differentiate PS3 SKU – not ratchet and clank but other characters
o maybe characters from Rare or Fable universes

Yakuza
 Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).
 Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.
 SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.

AVP
 Another great HOME candidate
 AVP avatars
 Hybrid BD disc with movie

Iron Man 2
 Great candidate for HOME space – explore Tony Stark’s lab etc.
 Should have one for Marvel in general.

PSU2
 Could do bundle at GameStop with PSP 30-35K units on UMD, Go, or both.

Valkyria 1937
 Could bundle with PSP as well.

Vanquish and Aliens: CM
 Opportunity for PS3/PSP interoperability (see Eidos Batman, Army of Two, Assassin’s Creed for good examples).
 If we offer that SCEA would be really interested in having us at their booth next E3.

Thor
SCEA would like a look at the code soon.

Sonic Anniversary
 Could put out collectors edition with all old sonic games on one BD disc.
 “Best of Sonic” for around $99.
 SCEA would love PSN exclusive power ups/different game modes (like Castlevania’s flip it over/backwards)

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
 SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)
 For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc…

London Olympics
 Perfect opportunity for Motion Controller integration.

DC Digital Titles
 If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
 If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

PSP Titles
 For SKU differentiation it’s best to offer features that are slightly different from PS3 version.
 Titles that are coming up on PSP are Assassin’s Creed II, GTA China Wars, Resident Evil, Little Big Planet – all massive franchises.
 SCEA has a specific PSP deck which they can send up with their hardware director for a chat.

I like how the objective is "Someone agreed we had to have a meeting" and not a real objective :lol

There are some very interesting things (like digital "imports" and DC emulation) teased in this leak, but every single fucking person at Sony can die in a fire if they actually decide to add a PS2 "store" without re-enabling disc BC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
charlequin said:
There are some very interesting things (like digital "imports" and DC emulation) teased in this leak, but every single fucking person at Sony can die in a fire if they actually decide to add a PS2 "store" without re-enabling disc BC.

It's not like flicking a switch.

If the games are 'ports' then you can forget about it.

If however it's an emulator in the traditional sense I'm sure it'll work with discs.

yurinka

charlequin said:
At least in PC, when emulating PS2 the performance changes a lot from a game to another.

So it would make sense to have a very limited (like in 360) PS2 software BC with both store and disc games, or make them store only because it would need some changes to run properly in PS3.

But right now we know every emulated BC game (PS1 in all and PS2 in old SKUs) runned from both store and discs. And I don't see this changing unless they need to rework the games.

Raistlin

charlequin said:

If it's not a generalized emulator (ie. the ROM's need some modification to get them to run) ... I don't see why you're pissed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't really get this line in this context
Yakuza
 Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).
 Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.
 SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.
How wouldn't it be exclusive? Was Sega planning to port the game to the 360?

Drkirby said:

more like they want a real deal with Sony. i don't really think SEGA has ever thought in releasing any RGG for 360.

duckroll

Drkirby said:

While the heading is under Yakuza, I think the entire section is a discussion on imports on PSN, period. It's more about the overall idea rather than specifically any title.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
charlequin said:
I'm normally not big on the up in arms things over these moves...But I honestly think that would be the first thing for the generation to tremendously piss me the fuck off.

gofreak said:
If the games are 'ports'

Then every person at Sony can die in a fire. Which part of that was I not clear about? :lol

Onix said:
I don't see why you're pissed.

Yeah, it's a real fucking mystery why removing a brand-defining feature from a system then turning around and trying to push a version of it as a pay-per-entry feature would be irritating.

Tiktaalik

charlequin said:

If it takes them time and money to develop software backwards compatibility why should they give it away for free?

charlequin said:

It amazes me that people actually think there's a chance Sony is NOT going to do this. :lol

Of course they are going to sell PS2 games on PSN and of course they will not put effort into re-enabling PS2 BC! Sony makes ZERO money from the used PS2 games you buy at GameStop and they will make pure profit from selling digital copies of the same games. What they hell else do you expect them to do?

Arnie

PS2 emulation makes me ecstatic. If true it is another great move by Sony. I would love to rebuy SotC and possibly the Yakuza games for a reasonable price. I wouldn't even be bothered if they were in their original resolution also.

charlequin said:
Yeah, it's a real fucking mystery why removing a brand-defining feature from a system then turning around and trying to push a version of it as a pay-per-entry feature would be irritating.

I absolutely hear ya, but that ship sailed long ago.

Alpha Protocol
 Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. “Mass Effect felt more RPG.”
 Review notes sent to John Merlino a few weeks prior. After meeting Gerald mentioned AP is a high priority for his team.

Less an RPG than Mass Effect? What a bummer.

Zeliard

RadarScope1 said:
It amazes me that people actually think there's a chance Sony is NOT going to do this. :lol

Of course they are going to sell PS2 games on PSN and of course they will not put effort into re-enabling PS2 BC! Sony makes ZERO money from the used PS2 games you buy at GameStop and they will make pure profit from selling digital copies of the same games. What they hell else do you expect them to do?

To allow people to use their existing PS2 libraries, maybe? I know, that's over the line.

minus_273

Banned
Guys, this looks like it is real. For starters, it wasnt made by SEGA it was made by EDS. A person faking it wouldn't have thought to use EDS and for that matter the name of an actual employee working there.
segametadata.png

Taken from here

HUELEN10

red shoe paul said:
'“Best of Sonic” for around $99'

Anybody else think this is a total rip off?
If it includes the advance games and 3D games, as well as all the genesis games and more, it sounds pretty damn fair to me. I would buy it day one.
minus_273 said:
Guys, this looks like it is real. For starters, it wasnt made by SEGA it was made by EDS. A person faking it wouldn't have thought to use EDS and for that matter the name of an actual employee working there.
segametadata.png

Taken from here
So does that mean this "Darren Wiles" gets fired? :lol Just kidding, it's just an honest sorry fuckup. I hope nobody gets fired, though I doubt it... :(

yurinka

Drkirby said:

I would say it means SCEA would pay marketing costs for this title in USA if Sega signs timed exclusivity in another thing not related to this game (maybe DC games, PS360 title, PS360 DLC, emulation of old Sega consoles/arcades, etc).

Yakuza is basically a Japan-only series, and I doubt a 360 port cost would be profitable to sell it mainly in Japan.

RadarScope1 said:

So why they still have enabled PS1 BC, why they had PS2 BC in previous models, and why they are working on PS2 emulation after they oficially stopped PS2BC(seeing their patent files)?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
red shoe paul said:
'“Best of Sonic” for around $99'

Anybody else think this is a total rip off?
Depends. Do I get the Adventure games, a PS3 ports of the Wii games, and the Good version of Sonic 06?

minus_273 said:
segametadata.png

Taken from here
The fact it was on Sega's own FTP server wasn't a giveaway enough?

nyprimus2

Downloadable Dreamcast titles on PSN and XBLA (I hope XBLA, it wouldn't make any sense not to just throw it on both services to maximize profits, plus I only have 360 :D).

Jizzinmypants.gif

Tiktaalik said:
If it takes them time and money to develop software backwards compatibility why should they give it away for free?

It took them time and money to develop ps1 emulation on psp and ps3 as well. We don't pay an extra fee for it, nor are we limited (in the case of the ps3) to ps1 games that Sony sells on the store.

And this report talks about compatibility for 'all' ps2 games on ps3. That sounds like general emulation to me.

minus_273

Banned
Drkirby said:
Depends. Do I get the Adventure games, a PS3 ports of the Wii games, and the Good version of Sonic 06?

The fact it was on Sega's own FTP server wasn't a giveaway enough?

It could have been a forgery placed on the server by a 3rd party.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
nyprimus2 said:
Downloadable Dreamcast titles on PSN and XBLA (I hope XBLA, it wouldn't make any sense not to just throw it on both services to maximize profits, plus I only have 360 :D).

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk106/DrakeFrost_IV/Jizzinmypants.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]
[quote][b]If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.[/b][/quote].
[QUOTE=minus_273]It could have been a forgery placed on the server by a 3rd party.[/QUOTE]
Yes, and I have a working beta from the Kirby Game shown back at E3 2005.

minus_273

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Poor Darren. Would Sega Europe really be putting this file together?

he's just some random guy working for a 3rd party who last edited the document after the meeting. It has nothing to do with the leak.

yurinka

minus_273 said:
he's just some random guy working for a 3rd party who last edited the document after the meeting. It has nothing to do with the leak.
Yes, and as "company" appears Sega America. And it was in Sega's FTP. It doesn't look a fake.

HUELEN10

Drkirby said:
69dgs3.png

You know, there really is a Sonic Comic for everything! XD

RadarScope1 said:
What they hell else do you expect them to do?

Think beyond the cartoonishly greedy level of "we can make people rebuy stuff!!!!!" and realize that actual BC remains a potentially appealing way of strengthening their brand and encouraging purchases from people with a big PS2 library?

The fact that PS1 BC works for discs, and that the 360 supports its BC games on both disc and store, makes me hopeful that there will be an announcement of the right kind about this, but all three manufacturers have fucked their customers over enough times this generation that I don't want to assume.

RagnarokX

HUELEN10 said:
If it includes the advance games and 3D games, as well as all the genesis games and more, it sounds pretty damn fair to me. I would buy it day one.

So does that mean this "Darren Wiles" gets fired? :lol Just kidding, it's just an honest sorry fuckup. I hope nobody gets fired, though I doubt it... :(
I dunno, you can already get all of the good Sonic games for $40... Even if we concede that Sonic Adventure was decent, that's only another $20 or so. The Advanced games are all pretty lackluster (though at least the first one tried to be like the Genesis games).

painful fart said:
The PS2 library is 2000+ titles, not counting the different versions for the different regions. *shrug*

Welp looks like Sony has a lot of work to get started on then. I'm sure if they asked nicely all of the surviving publishers of those 2000+ titles would be willing to lend a hand.

EDIT: *shrug*

Top Bottom