• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega brags about major and growing mobile success, 20 new mobile games this fisc year

so which of their mobile games are actually good?

I thought the picture in the OP made it pretty obvious which games are good

Big Hits = Big good

Xr7JUIS.png

Alebrije

Good for Sega , this will help them release Dreamcast 2 on the near future, just hope they include shenmue 3 as bundle.

All is going according to keikaku.

Mandoric

Banned
It's a little sad that all those game icon's looks like they could simply be character select icons, from about two different games.

You missed the memo, this is "mobile games art is too inconsistent!" week where we call card games trash because the cards have different artists. Next week is "mobile games art is too samey!" week.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm happy it's going well for Sega so far (if the smartphone market doesn't crash in the next few years lol) but I only buy Sonic games from them nowadays and I would be very disappointed of they stop making them :(

xehanort

I actually liked Chain Chronicles. It is a nice strategy game, though a lot of IAP. It is definitely playable for free. I also liked Sonic Dash. One of the better endless runner out there.

Sega brags about a thing that isn't something one should brag about: "We failed super hard in one business, but don't look at that! Lookit this! We're a big success in an area you don't actually care about!"

Steel

Banned
Hey, whatever works for them. Good for Sega!

Lol at 300k a month being a failure tho

They pharse it as stalling, so one might assume that these titles might have been in the hits section at some point in time before now and have decreasing revenue.

baterism

As happy as I was about VC going to PC, I was a little dismayed when I heard it only sold 250,000 copies.

Well 250,000 copies with $5 profit each digital copy sold means around 1.25 mil USD which is 150 mil yen which equal to... one month of mobile hits.

Dayum. Mobile sure rake a lot of cash.

Shengar

Good for them, bad for me.
I want to keep my phone as low tech as possible just to spite all of this.
Yes I am that bitter.

sibarraz

Banned
I didn't know that SEGA bought the studio that made Marvel Puzzle Quest

That game was fun, hope to see something like that under the sega banner.

I wonder how much money does Sonic Dash for SEGA? The game doesn't had IAP that are much neccesary to keep playing, so I wonder if the ads are doing them good money or they found some whales that somehow find ways to spend lots of money on it

Synth

Sega brags about a thing that isn't something one should brag about: "We failed super hard in one business, but don't look at that! Lookit this! We're a big success in an area you don't actually care about!"

I think it can be pretty convincingly argued that more people care about these titles than the stuff you "actually care about".

Don't get me wrong. I miss classic arcade Sega more than most, but the lack of people like us would be the reason Sega "failed super hard in one business". I don't begrudge them shifting strategies in order to survive.

Like it or not, the number of people who play games on mobile devices dwarfs the number of console gamers out there. And that divide only grows by the day.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Like it or not, the number of people who play games on mobile devices dwarfs the number of console gamers out there. And that divide only grows by the day.

Many who play games on mobile devices might have consoles too. Or just play on consoles too. my 15 yo daughter doesnt actually own any consoles, but she has them by default because of me and her brothers. She plays Fashion Story, Candy Crush, Bubble Witch, etc on her phone and Galaxy Tab as well as Watch Dogs on my PS4. A 3DS, a 2DS, a soon to be replaced Vita....she gets her mobile and console gaming on in many different ways.

I loaded up Candy Crush and its cousins the other day.....Angry Birds too...later that night I played some GTA V, Kill Zone, Call of Duty on my PS4.

A success is a success, no matter what ones think about it or if they care about it. Pretty sure ppl that play games on mobile care about it tho. Even if you dont play mobile games exclusively.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Their console successes are conspicuously absent from this bragging. I wonder why. On a totally unrelated note, why won't SEGA do an HD remake of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PS4 and localize it?

They may want to consider selling their console games at the same cheap prices they offer on other platforms. Maybe then they'd find the same success.

Negator

To think this is how video games end. The pursuit of reeling in the whales at the expense of everyone else, with the taxidermied corpse of everyone's hopes and dreams.

Canucked

Farewell sega. I'm not running through the airport to stop this flight. I hope your new destination makes you as happy *sniffle* as you made me.

Overside

Banned
the arcade lives again. bring your space credits

This is literally how ive viewed (Non exploitative garbage) mobile for a considerable amount of time.

This audience has always been around, they just haven't been served since the death of arcades. Now they have an incredibly convenient content delivery system.

Genuine, serious question: are any of them actually good? (as in they have respectable gameplay mechanics that would look good outside of mobile)
Or are they all the usual energy bar skinnerboxes/gambling mechanic games or match 3 games (or a combination of both)

sibarraz

Banned
Genuine, serious question: are any of them actually good? (as in they have respectable gameplay mechanics that would look good outside of mobile)
Or are they all the usual energy bar skinnerboxes/gambling mechanic games or match 3 games (or a combination of both)

Sonic Dash and Sonic Jump are fun games if you had friends who you could compete for the high score. Problem is that money could give you a good advantage over others.

Now if you don't care for others high scores but just you, they are fun games to play while you are boring outside your house, but as a console experience, not of those games are good, but as time wasters they are great

I'm about as personally invested in this topic as I am in the financial fortunes of a slot machine company. That said, kudos to Sega for clawing its way out of a losing business situation. It would have been preferable if they'd done it by making good games, but that alone is not enough to succeed in the industry today. I can't blame them for not taking the risk.

I would actually be interested in playing Puyo Puyo Quest. Too bad that hasn't been localized. Wasn't that impressed with what I played of Dragon Coins, and not really familiar enough with the others. I've heard Chain Chronicles starts out as a pretty fun game at least.

Regardless, good for them.

I've come to accept we'll never get another Crazy Taxi or Jet Set Radio, but all I'm asking for is a decent Sonic game like Colors or Generations on consoles. Let Sonic Team make Sonic games that aren't mobile.

roknin

I mean I ain't even mad. Good for them, rather that than just disappearing from the map.

Not adverse to mobile games, though. Would much rather see a world where mobile and console can co-exist.

...Nintendo and Sega come together to form the glory that will be Dreamcast 2. Mark my words.

Can... can I just drop in and say how I kinda' secretly dreamed for that years ago? :-(

Haunted

so which of their mobile games are actually good?
So here's a question a large part of this forum is going to have to wrestle with in the future.

If games are shitty by all traditional measures of game quality that we GAFers care about as players ourselves, yet they're bought and played (and presumably enjoyed) by a large amount of people and perform very well in the marketplace - can we really complain about companies continuing down that path?

These sorts of mobile games are the Justin Biebers and Miley Cyruses of the gaming industry. And as much as traditional music media and music enthusiasts are ragging on them every single time the topic comes up, they're still among the most popular and sought after acts of today, put in the spotlight, put in front of audiences and marketed and publicised again and again.

Ugh, it's gross to see a companies way of thinking in black and white like that. 'Big Hits' 'Hits 'Likely to be Hits' 'Failure'. Just reminds me of the music industry back in the day, if it isn't a 'hit' then we don't care.

geordiemp

The issues facing the mobile game development will come to bear.

If it is not difficult to pump out 20 games per year, there will be a lot of games and very easy to get lost in the noise, and it will only get worse.

At some point, the noise will get so great, with 1000's of samey games every year, then what ?

Not every company is going to catch the whales....Going to be in interesting ride to observe

mAcOdIn

So here's a question a large part of this forum is going to have to wrestle with in the future.

If games are shitty by all traditional measures of game quality that we GAFers care about as players ourselves, yet they're bought and played (and presumably enjoyed) by a large amount of people and perform very well in the marketplace - can we really complain about companies continuing down that path?

These sorts of mobile games are the Justin Biebers and Miley Cyruses of the gaming industry. And as much as traditional music media and music enthusiasts are ragging on them every single time the topic comes up, they're still among the most popular and sought after acts of today, put in the spotlight, put in front of audiences and marketed and publicised again and again.
I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Whether you're a Justin Beiber fan, Prince fan, whomever, it doesn't matter, a concert of your favorite act gets you roughly the same enjoyment of a concert of my favorite act, a cd gets us all roughly the same content and enjoyment. Mobile gaming is gambling in a nutshell and as much as I hate Beiber and Cyrus neither are outright scams. You pay your money for their cd and you get it, you pay to see a concert and you see it same as any other music fan. We can argue over the actual artistry of these acts but they all provide a service or product for an agreed upon fee and deliver just like most game companies.

To even attempt to use your music analogy I'd say that with console/pc gaming you get the full performance, with mobile you may, perhaps, depending on the benevolence of the individual act be able to hear the entire CD or see the entire performance over the entire course of the game before it's pulled but most likely you'll just pay money for chances to hear a snippet of their newest cd or concert just to lose and never experience the full product. Or put another way, with Prince you buy Purple Rain and you get the whole CD, with Justin Beiber you buy a mystery CD that contains a somewhat random selection of his songs, most likely the crappiest ones(how that's determined is beyond me) with a super small chance of getting a good song on the CD and you can't complete the Beiber album until you've purchased it several times over.

JNA

Banned
Not surprised that Chain Chronicles is killing it for Sega.

It's a fun game and pretty addicting.

Too bad the Western version is kinda crap cause Gumi is running it.

Indeed. When I played the Japanese version after the Global, the difference is HUGE. Despite not understanding a single word, I found that version more playable than the Global version.

Gumi is terrible. Made me quit playing the game a while ago.

Their console successes are conspicuously absent from this bragging. I wonder why. On a totally unrelated note, why won't SEGA do an HD remake of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PS4 and localize it?

Sega doesn't have Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae bundled with it to force people to buy it so it would bomba

Sami+

All I really want out of SEGA these days are good Sonic games and another Jet Set Radio. I think one of these is a much more reasonable request than the other, but I've kind of come to terms with the fact that neither of these are happening any time soon. :v

Haunted

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Whether you're a Justin Beiber fan, Prince fan, whomever, it doesn't matter, a concert of your favorite act gets you roughly the same enjoyment of a concert of my favorite act, a cd gets us all roughly the same content and enjoyment. Mobile gaming is gambling in a nutshell and as much as I hate Beiber and Cyrus neither are outright scams. You pay your money for their cd and you get it, you pay to see a concert and you see it same as any other music fan. We can argue over the actual artistry of these acts but they all provide a service or product for an agreed upon fee and deliver just like most game companies.

To even attempt to use your music analogy I'd say that with console/pc gaming you get the full performance, with mobile you may, perhaps, depending on the benevolence of the individual act be able to hear the entire CD or see the entire performance over the entire course of the game before it's pulled but most likely you'll just pay money for chances to hear a snippet of their newest cd or concert just to lose and never experience the full product. Or put another way, with Prince you buy Purple Rain and you get the whole CD, with Justin Beiber you buy a mystery CD that contains a somewhat random selection of his songs, most likely the crappiest ones(how that's determined is beyond me) with a super small chance of getting a good song on the CD and you can't complete the Beiber album until you've purchased it several times over.
My music analogy was mostly concerned with perceived quality vs popularity and not the respective business models of F2P skinner boxes vs traditional full games. :D

But I see what you're saying and I feel like that's you pretty much imposing your values on other people and other marketplaces. Many mobile fans would probably just straight up laugh in your face if you try to tell them that you paying $60 up front for a single game is actually preferable to them downloading the game (and twenty more exactly like it) for free and then dropping a dollar or two every time they feel like it.

gelf

This is literally how ive viewed (Non exploitative garbage) mobile for a considerable amount of time.

This audience has always been around, they just haven't been served since the death of arcades. Now they have an incredibly convenient content delivery system.

I don't like this comparison with arcades. While I accept the similarities in pricing model, if more mobile games actually played like the arcade credit munchers of old then I'd be much more satisfied by them. But I haven't found any that aren't ports. Please somebody correct me and tell me of those that do as I'd be more then willing to play them.

mAcOdIn

But I see what you're saying and I feel like that's you pretty much imposing your values on other people and other marketplaces.
Well yes and no. I am not against gambling myself, I have no problem with card game booster packs, mobile free to play games or straight up slot machines. I do of course have a preference.

Many mobile fans would probably just straight up laugh in your face if you try to tell them that you paying $60 up front for a single game is actually preferable to them downloading the game (and twenty more exactly like it) for free and then dropping a dollar or two every time they feel like it.
I dunno about that. Frankly, who drops a dollar or two? And is it really "when they feel like it?" If someone laughed at me over that I'd laugh right back. People should learn to recognize when they're being played. There's no difference between me paying 60 up front and someone else paying 60 bucks during a limited time Godfest or to continue during a limited time stage except I'm not fooling myself over my choice. These games are designed so that those who do like the game feel pressured to spend money at certain times, the only ones who actually have a real choice are the ones who actually don't like the game at all. It's kinda like being a battered wife.
I don't like this comparison with arcades. While I accept the similarities in pricing model, if more mobile games actually played like the arcade credit munchers of old then I'd be much more satisfied by them. But I haven't found any that aren't ports. Please somebody correct me and tell me of those that do as I'd be more then willing to play them.
I don't accept the comparison with arcades at all really. In arcades time was your currency, you were paying for time. In retail you're paying for time essentially too, just full on ownership. In mobile you're essentially paying for virtual currency. Well, you could pay for time in a mobile game but that's generally your worst use of your money in a Japanese f2p game, best to use it towards the gambling gatcha roll machine.

I haven't really played western f2p games but I guess that's ok since we're talking about Sega.

Top Bottom