• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega brags about major and growing mobile success, 20 new mobile games this fisc year

Synth

I don't accept the comparison with arcades at all really. In arcades time was your currency, you were paying for time. In retail you're paying for time essentially too, just full on ownership. In mobile you're essentially paying for virtual currency. Well, you could pay for time in a mobile game but that's generally your worst use of your money in a Japanese f2p game, best to use it towards the gambling gatcha roll machine.

I don't really like the comparison either in general, however in something like Sonic Dash aren't you literally paying for continues?

I don't think the arcades can be summed up simply as "you pay for time" as the same amount of payment buys a wildly varying amount of time based on you performance... and in some cases (such as one run an you're off racers) that amount of time can actually decrease as you become more proficient.

old

Awesome. Looks like more publishers are embracing mobile. Good times ahead for gaming. With mobile and PC, I don't know if I'll ever buy another console or portable system again. Buying dedicated platforms expressly for gaming is so last decade.

Einbroch

Banned
GUMI killed Chain Chronicle for me. Sega needs to localize and release their own games here, because if they keep farming them to companies like GUMI they won't stand in the west. I want to feel like when I buy an IAP I'm supporting a fair developer, not a greedy twat.

Mandoric

Banned
There's no difference between me paying 60 up front and someone else paying 60 bucks during a limited time Godfest or to continue during a limited time stage except I'm not fooling myself over my choice. These games are designed so that those who do like the game feel pressured to spend money at certain times, the only ones who actually have a real choice are the ones who actually don't like the game at all.

Isn't this true of the standard arcade experience, too? I don't think I've ever seen a mobile title animating your character in the process of being brutally executed if you refuse to buy more energy like, say, Final Fight did, but it does share a lot with the "insert coin to continue" option that became near-universal in arcades after the mid-80s.

The problem with making universal judgments about its relative psychological effect is that you're assuming the console gamer's completionism, honed even more now by a decade of OS-level cheevos, is natural and shared. Whales are so rare precisely because people can love games and still not be completionist, not care about maximising plays during an event, just like serious arcade players adapted the one-credit clear as a personal standard even (especially?) for machines that didn't reset score on continue.

Top Bottom