• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

BTails

About 30 minutes into Snatcher. Presentation and music are fantastic so far! Looking forward to playing more.

30 minutes only? Make sure you set aside a couple hours for your next play session: once you go on your first mission, you'll be so hooked that you won't want to put it down!

lazygecko

tumblr_o27nw20UiZ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Conezays

30 minutes only? Make sure you set aside a couple hours for your next play session: once you go on your first mission, you'll be so hooked that you won't want to put it down!

Don't worry, I was just taking a break to post. An hour in now; spending a fair amount of time just reading
the computer

How can you not like this intro song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7VTw1E3b4

EDIT: 2 hours in now. Great stuff so far.

cireza

This game is a masterpiece.

It is amazing how some nice pixel-art pictures and simple musics can create an incredibly deep mood and atmosphere.

I also remember a pretty great conversation with some girls after getting tissues.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
About 30 minutes into Snatcher. Presentation and music are fantastic so far! Looking forward to playing more.

I played it earlier this year and was extremely impressed how ahead of its time the game was, thematically and with '4th wall breaking' and all that other stuff Kojima is known for. It's got that annoying J-ADV flaw of 'check everything multiple times until new options open up', and the 'whack a mole' fight sequences are ehhh, but other than that it's such a stunning title that I didn't want to put down.

Conezays

Beat Snatcher and enjoyed it quite a bit. The ending being a bit long-winded as per typical Kojima and having to read every piece of info, relevant or not, to move forwards dialog options were my only two minor gripes. The presentation, music, and pacing were all great; the inappropriate flirting was also hilarious.

Adding a little more to my "mini-review," really enjoyed how a lot of the game mechanics were tied to the story. Without going into spoilers, when seeking to find out information about someone/something you are given the ability to do so in an organic way versus feeling really forced and "gamey." You actually feel like you are investigating without constant hand-holding, even if the game is fairly linear. Also, the music is perfectly suited to a variety of character moments and set pieces. When you call
your ex-wife, Jamie
you get appropriately somber and longing music.

Just a couple aspects I found really effective in the game. Hope others enjoy(ed) the game; it's a shame it's not available on modern devices for people to play. Its discussion of topics like xenophobia, global warming, etc. feel ahead of its time and arguably more relevant in today's sociopolitical landscape.

I finally got my X'Eye back to running condition. A new laser and about 50 capacitors later, I'm back to playing Sega CD and Genesis games like a champ.

A CHAMP!

6XMypkVl.jpg

IrishNinja

^gorgeous!

Beat Snatcher and enjoyed it quite a bit. The ending being a bit long-winded as per typical Kojima and having to read every piece of info, relevant or not, to move forwards dialog options were my only two minor gripes. The presentation, music, and pacing were all great; the inappropriate flirting was also hilarious.

congrats man! its been years so i look forward to replaying it sometime, possibly with the efnorcer this time.

also if you like expensive-ass VN-like gameplay like that, Space Adventure Cobra is cool!

Conezays

^gorgeous!

congrats man! its been years so i look forward to replaying it sometime, possibly with the efnorcer this time.

also if you like expensive-ass VN-like gameplay like that, Space Adventure Cobra is cool!

Thanks for the recommendation! I also feel like I need to check out Policenauts now. Too bad I can't play it natively on the PVM (in English). Oh well!

I finally beat Midnight Raiders this morning. I played that game way more than it deserved but it is finally finished. One stupid enemy near the end kept me from finishing the game a lot earlier because I kept dying to him and that equals game over and having to restart from the very beginning. It was at least better than Microcosm.

I just got this game in today. You don't hear much about it because of Brutal (deservedly so) but I'm willing to give it a shot.

74zuneQ.jpg

edit: nvm found out what to do

edit 2: apparently not.

So I'm just trying to get the best sound out of my Sega CD Model 2/ Model 1 genesis and I found out the headphone jack on my model one doesn't work right.

Is there another way to get stereo/the cd quality audio working out of this or do I have to buy a model 2.

If so I'm glad I bought both of them last year. :p

... The biggest problem, of course, is that while playing actual import SCD discs on a PC emulator is easy, on an actual system you either need to use a copy anyway with the region switched to your system's region, or you need a region-breaker cart. And unfortunately, I don't have one; I think I've heard that Genesis Everdrives can do it, but they're expensive things...

I finally beat Midnight Raiders this morning. I played that game way more than it deserved but it is finally finished. One stupid enemy near the end kept me from finishing the game a lot earlier because I kept dying to him and that equals game over and having to restart from the very beginning. It was at least better than Microcosm.

Congratulations, I guess. I mean, actually sticking with the game long enough to beat it is impressive, but is it really worth the time? I gave up on Midnight Raiders pretty much as soon as I got to level two and realized that once you reach that point, if you get shot once you have to restart the entire game from the beginning. That's insane game design, how in the world did it actually ship like that? Through the first level the game is amusingly bad enough to stick with, thanks to the awful acting and simple but okay gameplay, but... one hit and you restart the game is horrible.

The games on those two discs aside (and they are just the downloadable stuff, so it's very basic games), one thing they didn't mention in the video is that it's amusing how the two "Games Can" releases' names are very literal -- each disc comes in a square outer clear plastic box with a round metal can inside, blue for one game and red for the other. There is an insert covering the back and front and back sides, but the can is visible through the front plastic. Then the disc is inside the can, with foam sheets to protect it from scratching. Odd but interesting stuff!

Just got my Sega Component Cables in!

Not sure the best way to take pics of a CRT screen but in person it looks beautiful.

That looks delicious! Would like some tips on taking screens of CRT's too, I just get these horrible dark and light areas going on as my iPhone camera goes bananas over seeing something so old.

cireza

If so I'm glad I bought both of them last year. :p

... The biggest problem, of course, is that while playing actual import SCD discs on a PC emulator is easy, on an actual system you either need to use a copy anyway with the region switched to your system's region, or you need a region-breaker cart. And unfortunately, I don't have one; I think I've heard that Genesis Everdrives can do it, but they're expensive things...
Use a Mega Cart. That's the best way to do it.

Pretty sure you can use an Everdrive to change the region. The only other way I'm aware of would be to rip the game then edit the iso for the JP region then play your backup.

Congrats on the Wondermega. It's a gorgeous system but no RGB is a shame.

Ban Puncher

So if I cram a Mega EverDrive X5 or X7 into my WonderMega, I can play Sega CD and PAL Mega CD games? Hot dang.

Better yet, I should just buy a Mega CD 2 unit and get RGB out of my Mega Drive.

Khaz

- rip the CD, change a file to match the region of your system and burn it
- use an everdrive to load the BIOS matching the region of your game
- mod the console with a new BIOS and never worry again

So if I cram a Mega EverDrive X5 or X7 into my WonderMega, I can play Sega CD and PAL Mega CD games? Hot dang.

Quite a few PAL CD games are optimised and won't behave on a 60Hz console. The three-way switch mod is a must have on the Megadrive.

cireza

I have a Everdrive and tried the bios trick but it does not always work. Depends on the game. I am pretty sure that some games have problems with this method.

Ban Puncher

I ain't playing filthy ripped discs. I paid the astronomical prices on these games and by George I'm going to use them and plaster my dirty fingerprints all over my copy of Snatcher.

Will look into an Everdrive.

Top Bottom