• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

cj_iwakura

I've been doing some research for a write-up on the crazy depth in Night Trap, and it looks like the past year has caused some kind of resurgence in the Night Trap community. There's all kinds of video rips, compilations, and even a prototype android version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOgFajmUZA

Looks like the KS failure lit a fire.

Does the Everdrive work well as a region/bios loader for the Mega CD? As in, do games play fine, with no glitches or issues?
I own a Japanese MCD2, and finally started collecting for the US SEGA CD too, and I was waiting for some retroGAF feedback, before buying an Everdrive cart.

The Everdrive X5 and X7 work as a region/bios loader for the Mega CD. I've loaded up the Sega CD bios on mine with no issues that I've seen. Sonic has loaded and Silpheed has loaded, then I've switched over to playing JP Popful Mail and Final Fight and Soul Star by reloading the cart and just booting into my normal Mega CD2 bios. I do have a region switch on my MD1, but I haven't had to use at all since the Everdrive handles all of that internally.

Galdelico

The Everdrive X5 and X7 work as a region/bios loader for the Mega CD. I've loaded up the Sega CD bios on mine with no issues that I've seen. Sonic has loaded and Silpheed has loaded, then I've switched over to playing JP Popful Mail and Final Fight and Soul Star by reloading the cart and just booting into my normal Mega CD2 bios. I do have a region switch on my MD1, but I haven't had to use at all since the Everdrive handles all of that internally.
Awesome, thank you!

Apparently some games with stricter protection don't work, but the ones that do work play fine.
I didn't know about that. Is there a list of such games?

Apparently some games with stricter protection don't work, but the ones that do work play fine.

Oh wow, so even if you are loading the bios file for that region the game won't work? Say loading a Sega CD 1/2/CDX bios and running the US game on a JP Mega CD or running a Mega CD 1.0 bios on a Sega CD etc?

Oh wow, so even if you are loading the bios file for that region the game won't work? Say loading a Sega CD 1/2/CDX bios and running the US game on a JP Mega CD or running a Mega CD 1.0 bios on a Sega CD etc?

You probably also need to trick the Genesis into thinking it is from another region as well. That's why I use a region switch.

Also, no bear.

I can now reliably get to the last stage in Final Fight CD and make it up the elevator. It's only a matter of time now. I hadn't played in about a month but came back to it better than ever.

You probably also need to trick the Genesis into thinking it is from another region as well. That's why I use a region switch.

Also, no bear.

With the Everdrive that wouldn't be necessary though. I have a Mega CD2 and what you do is load the Bios file from the SD card. I see what you are saying now. Normally if you didn't have an Everdrive yes, you would have to use a language switch and use either a Mega CD or a Sega CD to play Mega/Sega CD games. The Everdrive is awesome in that it eliminates the need to have to do that. Just make sure you have the corresponding bios file on your SD card, load it up and it will load just fine. I've done this with no issue whatsoever.

Voliko

I read it on assemblergames, I would link you but it's down right now.

I don't think anyone cared enough to compile a list.

Yes, I think it was something along the lines of what Laevateinn was talking about

Ok, doing some more research, it's apparently about how the game acts with some of the biosseses. Snatcher is one for example, doesn't display text on a JP Wondermega 1 even if you use a all-region bios on an Everdrive. You'd have to patch the disc. Interesting!

Galdelico

With the Everdrive that wouldn't be necessary though. I have a Mega CD2 and what you do is load the Bios file from the SD card. I see what you are saying now. Normally if you didn't have an Everdrive yes, you would have to use a language switch and use either a Mega CD or a Sega CD to play Mega/Sega CD games. The Everdrive is awesome in that it eliminates the need to have to do that. Just make sure you have the corresponding bios file on your SD card, load it up and it will load just fine. I've done this with no issue whatsoever.

Ok, doing some more research, it's apparently about how the game acts with some of the biosseses. Snatcher is one for example, doesn't display text on a JP Wondermega 1 even if you use a all-region bios on an Everdrive. You'd have to patch the disc. Interesting!

Very interesting indeed, thanks for clarifying.
So far, I've only got Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side, and pretty much all the titles I have in my buy-list for the SEGA CD are action games. Looks like - after I've finally been able to get a complete Game Genie for some Genesis gaming on my Japanese MD2 - the next purchase will be an Everdrive.

SKINNER!

Banned
I know the Everdrive struggles with some CD32X titles like Fahrenheit and NightTrap if you're using different region hardware. Hook up a US 32X, PAL Sega CD with 60Hz/US mode activated, region change via everdrive and then insert the US version of a CD32X title (say Fahrenheit) = Black screen after Sega/Sonic logo. My friend mentioned that he had a weird glitch with his US copy of Snatcher when he loaded it on a PAL Sega CD system via Everdrive. Game loads fine but there's no text shown on screen at all. Dunno if this is consistent based on all Mega Drive Everdrives but I get the sense that the fool proof way to play region free on Sega CD is to go down the hardmod route. But Everdrive option is still a great feature to have. I believe it has high compatibility with most games form other regions.

IrishNinja

I know the Everdrive struggles with some CD32X titles like Fahrenheit and NightTrap if you're using different region hardware. Hook up a US 32X, PAL Sega CD with 60Hz/US mode activated, region change via everdrive and then insert the US version of a CD32X title (say Fahrenheit) = Black screen after Sega/Sonic logo. My friend mentioned that he had a weird glitch with his US copy of Snatcher when he loaded it on a PAL Sega CD system via Everdrive. Game loads fine but there's no text shown on screen at all. Dunno if this is consistent based on all Mega Drive Everdrives but I get the sense that the fool proof way to play region free on Sega CD is to go down the hardmod route. But Everdrive option is still a great feature to have. I believe it has high compatibility with most games form other regions.

ah, never heard this - ive only played a handful of JP mega-CD titles on my US model 1, but yeah, using the mega ED for another region's BIOS has worked for me on everything so far: Annet Again, Ninja Warriors, SMT etc

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Also, no bear.

I knew something was missing:
revbearp6suy.gif

Finished Lunar: The Silver Star today.

Pretty easy overall and the ability to pretty much save anywhere was awesome. And without the backup cart. One of my biggest gripes was not knowing the stats of weapons and armor in the shops.

Anyone play Eternal Blue? Is it more of the same... or more importantly, is it worth the money?

cj_iwakura

Finished Lunar: The Silver Star today.

Pretty easy overall and the ability to pretty much save anywhere was awesome. And without the backup cart. One of my biggest gripes was not knowing the stats of weapons and armor in the shops.

Anyone play Eternal Blue? Is it more of the same... or more importantly, is it worth the money?

Yes. YES.

It's much more difficult, has more to do, optional dungeons, and a fantastic story. It's better on every level.

And that music.

IrishNinja

^co-signing everything m'man cj here just said. i loved the crap out of Lunar 1 in the sega-CD days, and 2 just blew me away. you're in for a treat!

StarPhlox

Thank you OP for making this thread and letting memories of Popful Mail flood my brain. Would that game EVER get any kind of re-release?! I think I would still enjoy it today

I was semi lucky and someone had listed eternal blue for the silver star price. I actually liked Silver Star more because of how easy and charming it was. It was a great time from beginning to end. Eternal Blue is really good too though.

I was semi lucky and someone had listed eternal blue for the silver star price. I actually liked Silver Star more because of how easy and charming it was. It was a great time from beginning to end. Eternal Blue is really good too though.
Maybe I'll just sell my loose Centy cart to pay for it.

Hey I'm a little late to the party since I'm new on NeoGAF. But I couldn't resist this thread, I myself love anything SEGA. I have about all of the consoles except SegaCD, Mega 32X, and Nomad.

I subbed and I'll definitely be lurking this thread on the nostalgia train.

Maou

Yes. YES.

It's much more difficult, has more to do, optional dungeons, and a fantastic story. It's better on every level.

And that music.

^co-signing everything m'man cj here just said. i loved the crap out of Lunar 1 in the sega-CD days, and 2 just blew me away. you're in for a treat!
Joining the Eterna Blue task force. To put it in GAF/fantasy-appropriate terms, Eternal Blue is the Lord of the Rings to Silver Star's Hobbit, or the Empire Strikes Back to Silver Star's Star Wars. Multiple layers of depth added to a cheerful and delightful base, and more moving in many ways.

Could always borrow my copy if you take good care of it, lol.

I always take care of games especially when its not mine. Anyway, thanks for the offer, but something like that I would have way too long. I'm usually really slow going through RPG's . Right now I'm going back to my 33+ hour save file from over a year ago, for Shining The Holy Ark. After that I'll jump in to Shining CD. Been sitting on that for awhile now.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hey I'm a little late to the party since I'm new on NeoGAF. But I couldn't resist this thread, I myself love anything SEGA. I have about all of the consoles except SegaCD, Mega 32X, and Nomad.

I subbed and I'll definitely be lurking this thread on the nostalgia train.

Welcome to retro-gaf! You should check out the first post in this thread for more retro-related threads. Retro-gaf is definitely best gaf!

I've been doing some research for a write-up on the crazy depth in Night Trap, and it looks like the past year has caused some kind of resurgence in the Night Trap community. There's all kinds of video rips, compilations, and even a prototype android version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOgFajmUZA

Looks like the KS failure lit a fire.

If they had something like this to show off during the failed kickstarter campaign, I bet it would have gained more traction. This proof of concept android game appears to be built in the Unity Engine, which means that it would be very easy to adapt to multiple platforms, including The Switch, iOS, PS4, Xbox One, Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. I think it would be cool to get some of the old Digital Pictures games on modern consoles. This looks really well done. The new UI looks really well done for a touch screen device.

Hopefully someone sends this video to Tom Zito, or some of the other people who worked at Digital Pictures.

cj_iwakura

If they had something like this to show off during the failed kickstarter campaign, I bet it would have gained more traction. This proof of concept android game appears to be built in the Unity Engine, which means that it would be very easy to adapt to multiple platforms, including The Switch, iOS, PS4, Xbox One, Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. I think it would be cool to get some of the old Digital Pictures games on modern consoles. This looks really well done. The new UI looks really well done for a touch screen device.

Hopefully someone sends this video to Tom Zito, or some of the other people who worked at Digital Pictures.
He's very much aware of it. ;)

He's very much aware of it. ;)

I didn't realize that video was uploaded in 2016 until after I made that post. ><

But all the same, it is still news to me.

Also, I am surprised that I missed this news from a few months ago...

Does this mean Night Trap and Sewer Shark are in the works for mobile? I would prefer to see them on PC or home consoles, but this is interesting news none the less.

Laws00

When I was younger I never knew Time Gal was an interactive movie. I thought it was a real good animated cartoon game that I could play.

For some reason I thought the same for Dragon Lair. I also didn't know they were released in the 80s either. I was too young to even notice these games. I only remember seeing Dragons Lair in the arcades.

Dragon's Lair looked waaaaaaaay ahead of its time when it was in the arcade.

I also remember it being probably the first game that I preferred to watch someone else play then play myself. It's not that I couldn't play it properly, it's that I found it kind of boring gamewise and would rather just watch it like it was a cartoon.

I also remember it being probably the first game that I preferred to watch someone else play then play myself. It's not that I couldn't play it properly, it's that I found it kind of boring gamewise and would rather just watch it like it was a cartoon.

I remember when this game was on sale, I thought it was a cartoon as well, never got a chance to play this game but didn't it spawn some sequels?

I remember when this game was on sale, I thought it was a cartoon as well, never got a chance to play this game but didn't it spawn some sequels?

Yeah, there was a cartoon produced by Ruby-Spears in 1983: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTyCxKBinLI

There was also a successful indiegogo campaign by Don Bluth last year to produce a proof of concept animated short for a Dragon's Lair movie: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dragon-s-lair-returns-movie-cartoon#/

One, and spiritual successors.

There were quite a few quasi-sequels, including a cell shaded 3D action-adventure game that was released for the Xbox, PS2 and Game Cube in 2002.

drignkinslir3dgc4-458089_640w.jpg

Mega-CD GAF, hope you can help me on this.

Do you know if The NinjaWarriors for the Japanese Mega-CD was supposed to include the Zuntata mini CD by default, or if that was a limited print bonus?
I could get a good deal on a MIB copy (spine card, reg card and warning note are all in), which doesn't have the CD.

Thanks in advance guys. ^_-

I had the game from new and it never came with a mini CD.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
There were quite a few quasi-sequels, including a cell shaded 3D action-adventure game that was released for the Xbox, PS2 and Game Cube in 2002.

drignkinslir3dgc4-458089_640w.jpg

They also recorded someone playing this cel-shaded game and released it as an FMV game with traditional Dragon's Lair controls on DVD and PC as Dragon's Lair 3.

It's apparently a low point in the series. I've been meaning to order it for kitsch value, and I am ashamed to admit I just gave in to the impulse.

cj_iwakura

Top Bottom