• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Okay, more EGM on Mega CD!

uYKeAo6.jpg

0MaHL0x.jpg

wPOobZl.jpg

Eat your heart out ^ SNES Mode 7, lol.

Wow I totally remember staring at these screens in my EGM when I was a kid. Holy memories. Thanks for posting these!

Teknoman

So by some coincidence, classic EGM I ordered off ebay a couple days ago, ended up being the same issue Amy is posting stuff from.

One thing I never noticed back in the day: These mags are PLASTERED with mail order catalog pages and shops from West/East coast.

Luna was originally a brunette? MIND OFFICIALLY BLOWN!!! I had this magazine, and remember this aticle getting me excited for the Sega-CD, but did not remember that Luna didn't have blue hair in these shots.

Those preview pages are cool. One of the things I liked about the Genesis/Sega-CD as well as the Turbo was that a lot the the third party suppost for those systems came out of the Japanese PC development community. I mean it's not that the Super Famicom didn't have any stuff from say, Falcom, Compile, or the Nihon Telenet trio, but it wasn't a big part of that system's identity.

It just sucked for us because games like Nostalgia were PC ports with a TON of text, hell it's a minor miracle that we got Snatcher over here, and its not like that game set the world on fire and opened up the ADV genre.

I also have to love the text in the Lunar preview: Detailed battles like Dragon Quest V? Look Dragon Quest V may be one of the greatest RPGs ever made, but let's be honest the SFC release of that game was UGLY. Lunar's battles were a lot more impressive graphically, hell Phantasy Star III wasn't much of a looker but its battles destroyed DQV as far as looks went.

Does anyone have a link to the really cool video that came with the system showing it off?

The music was like "du du...du du...d d d d d d...du du brrrggghhhh"

So by some coincidence, classic EGM I ordered off ebay a couple days ago, ended up being the same issue Amy is posting stuff from.

One thing I never noticed back in the day: These mags are PLASTERED with mail order catalog pages and shops from West/East coast.

Yeah, i wish getting imports was that easy nowadays. Plus reading the prices for so many of the games :(

EGM holds up so much better then most other classic gaming mags. Best parts were when they reviewed games we never ended up getting (Like Gimmick)

Vlaphor

Had a neat experience recently. About 20 or so years ago, a local grocery store was selling off their rental Sega CD games for $3 each. I buy 5 of them, four of which I remember right now (Lunar, Keio, Fatal Fury Special, and Night Trap), just because the box art for them looked cool (and I was familiar with FFS and Night Trap). I didn't not have a Sega CD at the time, and wouldn't for another seven years. The games are in special cases, where the original box and manual were torn up somewhat to fix into their rental boxes, but the discs are in decent shape. Anyway, I forget about the games, but I do hold onto them. A few weeks back, I watch an episode of Game Sack where they mention that Keio has become ultra valuable. I check online to confirm this, then try to find my copy, which I find a few days later, buried in a box at my mom's house.

I get the disc buffed to make it look nicer, confirm the game works properly, then put it on Ebay with a starting bid of $125 and a Buy It Now of $200...and it sells in 5 minutes. I knew I probably could've asked for more, but I didn't think to, since the box was in such bad shape that in terms of collecting, it's pretty much disc only. Still, not unhappy with a 66x ROI (not counting ebay fees), so yeah, that's my rare Sega CD game story.

Teknoman

I'm gonna tell this story forever. 8th grade, hitting up the local dollar store with my mom to buy some stuff for a project. This place had a stack of like 30 or so Shining Force Cd, complete and mint in the same case at the front with yo yos, lasers, and junk. I only ask if I can get one since I just figured out Sega cd emulation on gens the night before.

1 dollar each. Why didn't I man up and just ask her to get the whole lot x_x, she still likes Shining Force to this day, and probably would've said yes. I ended up selling that one copy on gaf about a year after I became a member...for like 60 bucks because "I'd never find a working Sega cd". I wonder what happened to the rest of the games....and why were they in some dollar store on the corner in the first place?

IrishNinja

$3 Keio, what a time to be alive

yeah, some of the prices are a trip to look at in those too

Yeah, i wish getting imports was that easy nowadays. Plus reading the prices for so many of the games :(

EGM holds up so much better then most other classic gaming mags. Best parts were when they reviewed games we never ended up getting (Like Gimmick)

ehh i loved the hypebeast that EGM was but they weren't as on about cult stuff as GameFan, and if i want in-depth stuff it's hard to beat Next Generation. but man, EGM is a trip down memory lane for sure.

AmyS

$3 Keio, what a time to be alive

yeah, some of the prices are a trip to look at in those too

ehh i loved the hypebeast that EGM was but they weren't as on about cult stuff as GameFan, and if i want in-depth stuff it's hard to beat Next Generation. but man, EGM is a trip down memory lane for sure.

That's why I read EGM and Next Generation regularly (was subscribed to both) and only glanced at GameFan once in awhile on the newstands.

Khaz

I'm playing Lunar II now, and like with every other RPG, I love my controller setup. I'm playing it with an Ascii Grip controller for the Playstation, and a PS1 to MD adapter. The button placement is identical to the Saturn Ascii Grip:

C is the pink buttons, A and B are on the back (A is red, B is purple), Start is on top. I don't know if the adapter maps X Y Z and Mode.

These one-handed controllers exist for the SNES, Saturn, PS1 and PS2. Awesome controller to free one hand and do whatever with it, and works perfectly on the first try as long you don't play a game with twitch controls.

Maou

I'm playing Lunar II now, and like with every other RPG, I love my controller setup. Awesome controller to free one hand and do whatever with it
SUPERB. Use that extra hand to keep your hat from flying off your head in amazement over how perfect Eternal Blue is!

I'm playing Lunar II now, and like with every other RPG, I love my controller setup. I'm playing it with an Ascii Grip controller for the Playstation, and a PS1 to MD adapter. The button placement is identical to the Saturn Ascii Grip:

C is the pink buttons, A and B are on the back (A is red, B is purple), Start is on top. I don't know if the adapter maps X Y Z and Mode.

These one-handed controllers exist for the SNES, Saturn, PS1 and PS2. Awesome controller to free one hand and do whatever with it, and works perfectly on the first try as long you don't play a game with twitch controls.

I played through Suikoden with the ASCII Grip. Great controller, and I'm surprised no one else makes them, especially for differently-abled or older gamers. Nowadays you usually only see one-offs and Ben Heck style hacks.

I've never seen this controller, but that looks great for RPGs. Phantasy Star grinding would certainly be less of a pain.

Khaz

I've never seen this controller, but that looks great for RPGs. Phantasy Star grinding would certainly be less of a pain.

It most definitely would. I wish it existed for the Megadrive, but the PS1 with an adapter is the next best thing.

[edit] wtf Kevin Bacon? Why?

Tiktaalik

At the time growing up in Canada the Sega CD was completely not part of the discussion amongst my group of friends. Maybe because it was too expensive or the marketing was showing off the wrong games, or because there was already chatter about the 32X and Sega was starting to get a bad reputation for not supporting their platforms.

The marketing must have been off, because I feel like my knowledge of the system was really centred around FMV games like Sewer Shark and Night Trap. I didn't even know Lunar 1 and 2 existed until they were re-released on PS1. As a kid in the 90s I was a massive JRPG fan, owning basically every single game of note on the SNES. Had I known there were those two great JRPGs on the Sega CD I certainly would have saved up to buy one back then.

Khaz

Did you know that in Lunar II, if you try to open the magic leveling menu while your party is disbanded, there is a bug that freezes your game? I didn't either. And thanks to their stupid save system mod that costs money, my last save is from a long time ago.

Maou

Did you know that in Lunar II, if you try to open the magic leveling menu while your party is disbanded, there is a bug that freezes your game?
The great thing about that American-created glitch is that it's famously part of the process for accessing dummied-out items that are otherwise inaccessible in-game. Lunar-Net tells all. Caused quite a ruckus in the early days.

cj_iwakura

The great thing about that American-created glitch is that it's famously part of the process for accessing dummied-out items that are otherwise inaccessible in-game. Lunar-Net tells all. Caused quite a ruckus in the early days.

Wow, I never knew about that.
(I also find it funny that I think there's more Lunar talk here than in the community thread, heh.)

Maou

(I also find it funny that I think there's more Lunar talk here than in the community thread, heh.)
Haha, you're right, I keep forgetting that this is the MCD thread! In a way it's not too surprising, since Lunar showcased the very best of what the system had to offer. It's like talking about Mario 64 in an N64 thread.

IMACOMPUTA

We gotta get a better title banner set up for you :p

Also people need to play Dungeon Explorer!

dungeon-explorer-sega-cd.jpg

Just listen to this:
https://youtu.be/aIvLCzO47BY
https://youtu.be/xwE9W_Gljlg

Tell me you don't feel like going on an adventure.

Man, there is a quality to these songs that is REALLY familiar. Who did the music on this game? All i can find is the TG-16 version, and it sounds like they might be completely different.

The first track reminds me of PSO haaaaaaaardcore. They both do.

Teknoman

Man, there is a quality to these songs that is REALLY familiar. Who did the music on this game? All i can find is the TG-16 version, and it sounds like they might be completely different.

The first track reminds me of PSO haaaaaaaardcore. They both do.

I'll see if I can dig something up. Honestly, there seems to be a lack of info/videos about the game in general.

Also was I just projecting, or did Lunar 1 have an Adol cameo?

I'll see if I can dig something up. Honestly, there seems to be a lack of info/videos about the game in general.

Also was I just projecting, or did Lunar 1 have an Adol cameo?

I came to find that out when i was doing research for a panel. There is barely any good footage on Youtube, and practically no discussion or buzz on any Sega fansites.

Which is mind-boggling, because its cooler Gauntlet.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Dungeon Explorer SCD was made by Westone, the Wonder Boy/Monster World devs, and the music is by their usual composers: Shinichi Sakamoto and Jin Watanabe.

Khaz

Haha, you're right, I keep forgetting that this is the MCD thread! In a way it's not too surprising, since Lunar showcased the very best of what the system had to offer. It's like talking about Mario 64 in an N64 thread.

There is a Lunar thread?

Yeah I keep talking about it because I'm currently playing it, sorry about that.

btw I just arrived at Pentagulia, and while I have no problem with the narration in general, I found there was a massive fail in the script:
the party had loads of adventures together and had time to bond. Now we arrived at Pentagulia, our final destination, with Leo. Lucia hopes to see Althena and clear up any misunderstanding with Leo's orders, but Leo swore he would kill her on the spot if ordered to, as it was his mission all along. Now we step off the boat, and the party cheerfully disband to attend their own, non-pressing matters, all while saying "have fun with Althena, come back soon!". Seriously people, can't you like wait five minutes so that you can know if your dear friend is going to be executed or not? Your mother / lover / karate master can wait. Jeez.

You know, i was looking through my old Sega Visions, and i remembered wanting to play this game really bad, since i loved the Incredible Machine so much:
RiseManuals.jpg

Always hoped a Prototype would pop up, but no such luck yet : (
No idea it had Jim Cummings and Rob Paulsen at the time either, was too young to really know voice actors well. Could have been crap, but i've always wanted to know what could have been...

IrishNinja

damn, i got dungeon explorer on the cheap a while back, still yet to give it a go but it looks/sounds cool

Did you know that in Lunar II, if you try to open the magic leveling menu while your party is disbanded, there is a bug that freezes your game? I didn't either. And thanks to their stupid save system mod that costs money, my last save is from a long time ago.

wow, that sucks...glad i never did this in the day, sorry khaz

...legit didnt know there was a Lunar thread

cj_iwakura

Nice, I may post over there if
I find something interesting to say

Jean
just changed clothes, and damn,
went from the most useless in the group to the most badass fighter.

Lunar II is great at subverting tropes. The first guy who joins you is a healer, the most badass fighter in your team is a former dancer.

Teknoman

So I finally get a Sega mouse, try to see how it works with Eye of the Beholder...and then i see my disc has some pretty good radial scratches on it...

Either I didnt test the game or check it when it arrived long ago, or somehow i've messed up the disc...even though its been sitting on a shelf for awhile. The game works of course, but the music after the voiced intro, skips heavily.

Guess I gotta find another buffer or another copy of it disc only.

Teknoman

So does Dark Wizard actually have attack animations, and everyone who has made videos of the game just has them turned off?

Never saw the point in turning off SRPG animations if thats the case.

The loading times and whatnot make it rather cumbersome compared to most games, especially after you've already seen all the units and whatnot.

Yes, Dark Wizard does have attack animations.

Like Electric Thunder said, it's pretty cumbersome...especially compared to something like Shining Force where those attack animations are both zippy, and can be sped up.

When I played through the game I turned them off pretty quickly.

EeaDoAE.jpg

Picked the entire lot up for £200, was originally going to be £100 but someone on gumtree informed the seller Snatcher was a rare game... Still £200 for a Mega Drive, Mega CD, Snatcher, Earthworm Jim CD and ALL those others is insane. I have to sell a few bits and pieces bit i'm keeping Snatcher for sure. So overwhelmed..don't even know what to play first.

Better picture coming tomorrow!

Top Bottom