• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Console RPG Appreciation Thread; or, why the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast rock

GhaleonEB

<3 this thread. I own:

Phantasy Star II
Sword of Vermillion
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force II
Beyond Oasis
Lunar the Silver Star
Lunar Eternal Blue
Shining the Holy Ark
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Legend of Oasis
Dark Savior
Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia

So much old-school goodness in there, and in the case of Panzer Dragoon Saga what I consider to be incredible game design. Love that game to an absurd degree. I still go back and play through a bunch of those games every few years.

Crusader of Centry was called Soliel over here. It also ranks as possibly my favourite Megadrive game. Wonderful music, charming visuals (with great animation, too) and some really nice ideas (the equiping of animals for new abilities was awesome, especially when you started combining them together to make awesome new techniques). I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

S-Wind

Awesome thread man!

It's nice to take a trip down memory lane. A lot of good memories there!

However I cannot let this obscenity go unanswered:
ethelred said:
VAY - Game Arts
Here's another Game Arts RPG, though this one isn't as widely known as Lunar or Grandia. It's the weakest of the three franchises, but it's still got plenty worthwhile about it. Once again, Game Arts and Working Designs show that a solid cast of characters can really help a game excel.
109318348705of1.png
109318348702gn9.png

109318348707kv3.png
109318348600qx6.png

Contrary to all-too-common misbelief, Game Arts HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS POS GAME WHATSOEVER!
This sorry excuse for an RPG was made by SIMS.

If vic hadn't been in the habit of deleting the developers' logo from the game startup and replacing it with wd's logo, then perhaps this abominable misconception wouldn't be so prevalent.

I aprove this thread. PSIV was the first console RPG I've played, back then I never thought I could save my progress into a cartridge so when I died or had to turn off I had to start all over again, good times.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I still have fond memories of spending a summer to beat PS2. I remember the first weekend we got the game we played it for almost 24 strait hours. Near the end of the game weeks later we took shifts leveling our guys up to finish the game. The ending to PS2 still pisses me off today lol. I would buy and system to play a true PS2 sequal. The 2 things I will remember most about PS2 is just being blown away by the game. From the story to the epic dungeons it just blew me away. The second thing is difficulty god damn was that a hard game. To this day there are very few games were I can walk into a dungeon and get my ass handed to me several times like in PS2.

Hunahan

Banned
Yeah...it's funny, when my friend lent me a copy of Final Fantasy II back in the day, because I just "had" to play it, I remember telling him as I gave it back "it's ok...but it's no Phantasy Star."

Oh how times have changed.

Great post, it was nice for a trip down memory lane (and also a peak at some of the Japan-only oddities that I'd missed along the way), but it also makes me kind of sad. Sega really should have it's name still up there with the RPG elites, but it's basically dead in the water due to one mediocre "Action RPG" sequel too many.

eXistor

First off, compliments to a great thread, it made me teary-eyed it did :(

I gotta say while i did play quite a lot of games on the list I haven't done so in quite a while. I'm just hoping the VC will be home to many of these great games sooner or later.

Also while not a great game by any means, I did enjoy Mystaria: Realms of Lore quite a bit at the time. It had all been done before and better too by the likes of Shining Force, but I still liked it.

255px-Mystaria_cover.jpg

gentils.jpg
sort.jpg

Beezy

Prime crotch said:
I aprove this thread. PSIV was the first console RPG I've played, back then I never thought I could save my progress into a cartridge so when I died or had to turn off I had to start all over again, good times.

:lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This just reminds me about how I need to play Segagaga.

I've played and beaten most of those, the one I'm most proud of is probably Shining the Holy Ark because when I beat it I was still young and had little patience for that style of game.

I miss Sega :(

I enjoyed Mystaria though by the endgame my team was running riot over everything. Sure the enemies level up with you but by the time you get all of the best abilities you can easily crush everyone into tiny tiny pieces.

Riglord Saga 2(or Mystaria 2 if it ever happened)- Improves on basically everything(towns aren't just a single road anymore for one) but eh JPN barrier is making it a rough going for me. It keeps the rather non-linear nature of the first game but I think the level-matching is gone so most of the battles I get into are with guys like 20 levels above me cause I don't know where to go next. :(

Oh and another contribution:

cyberdoll-f.jpg

http://www.c-games.info/panel/foto/screeny/Cyber_Doll_121564/snap3559.jpg

Cyber Doll. This is a really cool RPG(imo) which can be had for like $5-10 off ebay. Essentially you're a cyborg detective or something killing off criminals and taking their parts for your own. Instead of leveling up you improve your stats by grabbing the parts of enemies after you kill them. Arms, legs, chests, and even brains(?) can be collected and by swapping out your old model parts you can replace them with newer parts with better stats.

http://www.c-games.info/panel/foto/screeny/Cyber_Doll_121564/snap3501.jpg

Combat is handled closest to a Front Mission game. You attack the enemies via a variety of weapons(handguns, shotguns, rocket launchers, flame-throwers, etc) and you can even aim for specific body parts to do damage. For example if you shoot out the legs the enemy can no longer move(and since a lot of weapons are only useful at a specific range you can thus make it impossible for the enemy to counter-attack), or you can shoot out their arms so they lose the use of whatever weapons they have in their hands. The only places you can actually kill an enemy at are the chest and head so you can take them out anyway you choose(I prefer torturing them slowly and painfully before punching their head off)

Surprisingly there's quite a bit of english in the game. The CG intro is voiced in English so you get the gist of what's going on. The weapon shop and pretty much all of the important info(stats and such) is in english as well. Course progressing through the story is still rather difficult and good luck finding an FAQ on this game.

Edit: Well that sucks the gameplay images aren't showing. Well good luck finding any other pictures of the game! :lol

Good job, Ethel.

I sure missed out on a lot being a poor, one console owner back in the day. Seeing this made me more sad than happy. I miss the Sega vs. Nintendo days.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Good job, Ethel.

I sure missed out on a lot being a poor, one console owner back in the day.

Thankfully my one console back in the day was a Genesis.

Also ebay can be your friend. I own most of the games mentioned in this thread in their original format. Really wasn't that hard(though a trifle pricey)

Shining Wisdom is definitely worth a look due to all of the cool little items you can find. One of my favorites is the one that looks like the Hornet from Daytona USA. Yes you can actually drive a little car around in the game..no idea why it's there but whatever!

J_Mourinho said:
There's a translation patch coming for Segagaga hopefully sometime this year.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/09/gamesetinterview_deltaheads_ja_1.php

So awesome...I wonder if my dreamcast still works? :(

eXistor said:
First off, compliments to a great thread, it made me teary-eyed it did :(

I gotta say while i did play quite a lot of games on the list I haven't done so in quite a while. I'm just hoping the VC will be home to many of these great games sooner or later.

Also while not a great game by any means, I did enjoy Mystaria: Realms of Lore quite a bit at the time. It had all been done before and better too by the likes of Shining Force, but I still liked it.

255px-Mystaria_cover.jpg

gentils.jpg
sort.jpg

=0 I had that! It was like one of the only RPGs on the Saturn that made it to the UK (as far as I could find, anyways) and I snapped it up. I loved it, but never got very far. I'd love to find it again but it's disappeared from everywhere.

Never made up for the lack of real RPGs though...

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
This isn't 19th century Britain; or, society doesn't use alternate titles anymore and "or" is no longer, and honestly never was, helpful.

Anywho, I love your thread regardless. The Sega love train, 6 years after it announced it would leave the console business, is nothing short of miraculous. If anything, it seems like Sega brand recognition is as strong as ever.

The experience I had playing Phantasy Star Online for the first time will never, ever be duplicated again by any other game, unfortunately.

Krowley

Diablohead said:
This thread is 100% win.

yeah it's a great thread. I'm a huge fan of sega rpg's but the only sega console i ever owned was the genesis.

There are a lot of games in this list that i need to try.. A lot of these are completley unknown for me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Holy crap...I think ALBERT ODYSSEY: LEGEND OF ELDEAN is a game I played when I was younger, never finished and wanted to play again. I forgot the name though....now I know

ethelred rocks <3

Skies of Arcadia is one of the best RPGs of all time. If only they could have toned down the random attacks on the boat when flying from one place to another, it would have been truly legendary.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Was browsing and found this in UKR's archive..

tgs5.jpg

Kind of depressing really...since the PSP port of Landstalker was killed off. :(

It really does blow. I was looking foward to it too ;_;

bionic77

Skiptastic said:
Skies of Arcadia is one of the best RPGs of all time. If only they could have toned down the random attacks on the boat when flying from one place to another, it would have been truly legendary.
I liked the game, but I hated the gameplay. Felt a little too slow for me. The game felt so damn original that I was pretty angry at how crummy the gameplay felt to me.

I thought I played most of the US releases of Sega rpgs, but I had never even heard of a third of those games. This probably has to do with the obscene prices of carts from the 16 bit era and me being a kid with no source of income. Awesome thread though, brings back a lot of awesome memories of the PS series and nice to know that someone else appreciates the awesome that is Warsong!

And since we are talking about Sega rpgs. Anyone else feel the second disc of Grandia was a huge letdown after the first?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Absolutely incredible thread... the reason why I put up with so many console wars and sales arguing, is to get a quality thread like this one. Me and SEGA go ways back, ever since a friend of mine showed me Phantasy Star on SMS. I fell in love with the game, and then for my next Christmas gift, I got a Genesis and PS2 and 3. The offline PS series is my favorite video game series of all time - PS2 stands as my favorite game of all time, and Skies of Arcadia is up there, too.

Nice to see a lot of obscure mentions... Warsong (the first SRPG I've ever played), Crusader of Centy, Light Crusader, Shining in the Darkness, Dark Wizard, Shadowrun.

Some other ones, that I haven't played:

Sorcerer's Kingdom (GEN)
Fatal Labyrinth (GEN)
Fhey Area (Sega-CD)
Terra Phantasia (SAT)
Baroque (SAT)
Anearth Fantasy Stories (SAT)

And others that I have played that sucked, but we'll throw them in for continuity:

Miracle Warriors (SMS)
The Fairy Tale Adventure (GEN)
Might and Magic (GEN)
Princess Quest (SAT)
Evolution 1 and 2 (DC)

M3d10n

Dave Long said:
This thread needs some Wachenroder.

wachenroder-f.jpg
wachenroder-b.jpg

WoWset.jpg

wr-01.JPG
wr-02.JPG

wr-03a.JPG
wr-04b.JPG

wr-04d.JPG
wr-04j.JPG

No... it needs even more Wachenröder!

The FMVs in that game were fantastic, since they used a mix of real life models and CGI, and the video codec was incredibly clean to boot.

128fs459275.jpg

R0nn

This thread makes me want to travel back in time and buy a Genesis and Saturn with many of the games mentioned here.

JadedOne

ethelred said:
EGG: ELEMENTAL GIMMICK GEAR - Hudson
Check out those incredible backgrounds. Hey, the game's fun, too -- how can you go wrong with a game where the mechs are designed like giant eggs?
18997286ya8.jpg
87821181dy0.jpg

54151615xy8.jpg
67345058xu6.jpg

This game is amazing guys! It's for the Dreamcast and its one of the best action RPG's I've played. You're this dude that awoke from like a hundred year slumber and have to explore this giant ruin called Fogna that's creepy as hell and plans to end human existence. But that's not the only place the game takes you to. You go to a mechanical city in the sky, an underwater laboratory and even the moon! You get many powerups and elemental spells along the way. The graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is moody and fantastic.
This game is great and it's a shame it's been under the radar. If you guys like very challenging(for real) and fun games, try this one out. You'll like it! Hudson should make a sequel to this.

Saying these systems rock for their RPGs is like saying the GBA rocked for its first-person shooters. I love the systems and all, but let's not deceive ourselves: action is where their strengths were.

But, yeah, good games, etc. I have copies of Chaos Seed and Shadows of the Tusk that need some lovin'.

AntMurda said:
Genesis Shadowrun was not the best... SNES one all the way. Thank you goodbye.
No the Genesis was closer to the pen and paper rpg. more classes to choose from, and the virtual world and combat was better.

Android18a said:
=0 I had that! It was like one of the only RPGs on the Saturn that made it to the UK (as far as I could find, anyways) and I snapped it up. I loved it, but never got very far. I'd love to find it again but it's disappeared from everywhere.

Never made up for the lack of real RPGs though...

I plan to sell it on e-bay in a week. It the American verison. Anyway, the saturn had a few rpgs . It never had alot rpgs, but some good ones.

sega4ever

dont forget the saturn had ports of ogre battle and tatics ogre, does anyone know if they are any differnent than the playstation ports?

ethelred

jiji said:
Saying these systems rock for their RPGs is like saying the GBA rocked for its first-person shooters. I love the systems and all, but let's not deceive ourselves: action is where their strengths were.

Er, I'm not deceiving myself -- these systems did rock for their RPGs, and I think the first three posts in the thread pretty clearly demonstrate that.

I'm not saying they weren't great for action games, too, and hey, maybe that's what you loved most about them, but they definitely delivered so far as RPGs were concerned.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Good job, Ethel.

I sure missed out on a lot being a poor, one console owner back in the day. Seeing this made me more sad than happy. I miss the Sega vs. Nintendo days.

R0nn said:
This thread makes me want to travel back in time and buy a Genesis and Saturn with many of the games mentioned here.

That's partly why I made it. For one, for folks who did play these games and loved them to get nostalgic and remember some of the awesome games (some of the memories that come back to me looking over those pictures are incredible)... but it was also for folks who never got the chance to play these games, to give them a little hint on some of the stuff they missed out on (and still have the chance to experience, if they choose to).

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
sega4ever said:
dont forget the saturn had ports of ogre battle and tatics ogre, does anyone know if they are any differnent than the playstation ports?

Don't know about Ogre Battle, but the Saturn Tactics Ogre is a LOT better than the Playstation one. No stupid loading times, much better music (actually sounds better than the SFC version instead of worse) and voice acting (I think).

This thread wins my approval very heavily. I do very much love Square-Enix RPGs, but it's almost shameful that so many people who grew up with the SNES don't know anything outside of Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana.

eXistor

I'm just glad my parents were rich enough and willing to buy most of the shit I wanted when I was a kid. Spoiled me for life, but I got to play a lot of these great games. Sucks I live in Europe though. I still own most of 'em too and reading this thread has made me hot for some of the games posted...so hot.

JayDubya

Banned
Hrm. Time to fire up the old emulator.

Unfortunately, I got a bad .ROM for PSIV because everytime I defeated one of the major bosses (and it's been so long I can't recall the plot anymore, or his name), the emulator would crash. I need to go back and try all the PS games.

ethelred said:
In fact, though I know it's a controversial stance, I'd go so far as to say that strictly comparing English releases, the Genesis was just about even with the SNES in terms of RPG quality
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'll never get the SNES Shadowrun love, I didn't saw it more as an ok game most people talk about it like the Western FF6 or something.

Top Bottom