• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Gagaman

Seems like a good place to let Dreamcast fans know about this: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2013/09/dreamcast-user-top-100-round-2-vote-for.html

We did a poll for a Top 100 user-voted Dreamcast list back in 2009 which led to this article and are currently doing an updated recount (including all recent indie games) which will led to a top 200, which means we will have a chart that should cover every good game on the system.

The poll is here. The more people join in the more comprehensive this list will be so please share this around with any Dreamcast fans you know.

Please vote for Lack of Love.

Mzo

If anyone really wanted a Sturmwind LE and missed out, redspotgames has limited stock up for sale again.

It's all the LEs that were returned with any sort of damage or for whatever other issues. They've been brought up to snuff and are being sold again. With shipping to the US it comes out to around 80 euros.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Replaying JSR already, this time on the Japanese DX version. Jet-ranking Fight or Flight is such a god damn struggle.

Can't tag the rooftops without being shot to death. Can't get to enough green arrows and still finish within the time limit.

Gotta watch a Youtube walkthrough and map out an entire optimal route in my head.

Mzo

Replaying JSR already, this time on the Japanese DX version. Jet-ranking Fight or Flight is such a god damn struggle.

Can't tag the rooftops without being shot to death. Can't get to enough green arrows and still finish within the time limit.

Gotta watch a Youtube walkthrough and map out an entire optimal route in my head.

I had the same issue recently playing the HD version, which prompted me to go back and 100% the original DC release. That's easily one of the hardest Jets in the game, if not the hardest. Those damn jetpack guys are so annoying. There's probably an optimal route that gets you the most sprays and leaves some easy tags for the end before they're triggered.

Does that come with the Mega Drive VMU?

6nRcSy7.jpg

That is so cool. I like that the VMU has the Sega Master System Base Converter red plastic at the bottom, indicating that the VMU is a 8-bit cartridge going into a Mega Drive 16-bit controller. Should be a Mega Drive themed Dreamcast controller too!

Edit: I just realised the red part was imitating the Japanese and US MD consoles red stripe. Stupid me.

How rare is the DX version? I recently heard out they only sold around 3600 copies.

Today I went into my loft and grabbed my DC storage box full of spares and games I stuck up there in 2010, it was filled with my old broken DC, spare pads and more then one copy of my games that I won from ebay years ago, as I was sorting out the games to CD wallet them all I noticed one of the pads was mint and new still, so swapped my older controller with the new one, feels really nice to have a brand new fresh pad.

It's a good thing that I did this because a lot of my games were getting damp somehow, can't let Shenmue get ruined now! or blue stinger...

Currently going over some golden oldies like Fur Fighters, I forgot that this game plays more or less like a 3rd person quake with platforming, great training level music too.

Oh shit! Did not know that =P

image.php

Nor did I until I double checked youtube videos, the PAL power board has an extra piece to it I did not recognized in a video so did a pal info search, the metal connectors are mirrored for some reason despite being built in japan like the other model dreamcasts.

IrishNinja

qTdOGqV.png

6147.jpg

/unfollowed - late on this, but for real, i like chrontendo (and especially turbo) but he had a clear pattern of shitting on the SMS, which i kinda get for many games (even if he never gives sega its due for nearly holding it down solo)...this was really putting it out there though: if you can't even give it up for the DC's fantastic library inside of what, 2 years?, then...i don't even know what to say

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Not really sure where to put this as afaik there isn't an OG XB megathread but you DC guys might appreciate it.
I got JSRF today and I'm having fun with custom graffiti

G0523

I don't know if this has been asked or addressed before but I looked on multiple websites and found nothing so here it goes:

I have a Dreamcast VGA cable from Racketboy from a few years back and while everything looks so much better on my HDTV compared to composite, for some reason sound only comes out of the right speaker. I'm not sure what to do, if there's a trick to make sound come out of both speakers or what, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I even plugged in my headphones directly into the auxiliary port of the VGA cable but I'm still just getting sound from the right side. Is there a way through this or around this?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't know if this has been asked or addressed before but I looked on multiple websites and found nothing so here it goes:

I have a Dreamcast VGA cable from Racketboy from a few years back and while everything looks so much better on my HDTV compared to composite, for some reason sound only comes out of the right speaker. I'm not sure what to do, if there's a trick to make sound come out of both speakers or what, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I even plugged in my headphones directly into the auxiliary port of the VGA cable but I'm still just getting sound from the right side. Is there a way through this or around this?

Sounds like the 3.5mm jack is fucked.

Is it the VGA box or cable? If it's the box you might get away with using red/white phono leads for audio.

Sixfortyfive

http://www.twitch.tv/sixfortyfive

Gonna test out Jet Set Radio on my new capture card until either I get bored/tired or my computer breaks. Give it a look and let me know if anything seems off.

EDIT: Give me a heads-up in stream chat if you want to be heard. Not gonna be refreshing GAF much.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Question for all you DC fans...

I have the following Dreamcast related stuff...

• Dreamcast System that works perfectly fine, has plenty of use (me)
  • A 2nd Dreamcast System that has barely any use, and still has most of the retail packaging
  • 3-4 Controllers and Memory Cards to go with them. I am not sure if the 2nd system has 2 controllers and it is packed away ;P
Along with this I have in retail games...
  • Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver
  • Space Channel 5
  • ChuChu Rocket
  • Jet Grind Radio
  • Tomb Raider Chronicles
  • Elemental Gimmick Gear
  • Seaman
  • Grandia II
  • Shenmue
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Silver
  • Blue Stinger
  • Pen Pen Triathalon
  • Crazy Taxi

I also have another 23 games that were rips of friends games, or backups of games I traded away, etc.

My question is this.

Does this have any trade value anymore? I mean it all just sits in a box in my garage these days and never gets played. I would like to trade it for something useful lol.

If it has no real trade value I will consider other options to unload it all of course like some sort of GAF contest to just give it away ;P

And by trade I mean for either new game stuff, PC stuff, etc.

kunonabi

• A 2nd Dreamcast System that has barely any use, and still has most of the retail packaging
  • 3-4 Controllers and Memory Cards to go with them. I am not sure if the 2nd system has 2 controllers and it is packed away ;P
  • Space Channel 5
  • ChuChu Rocket
  • Jet Grind Radio
  • Tomb Raider Chronicles
  • Elemental Gimmick Gear
  • Seaman
  • Grandia II
  • Shenmue
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Silver
  • Blue Stinger
  • Pen Pen Triathalon
  • Crazy Taxi

I also have another 23 games that were rips of friends games, or backups of games I traded away, etc.

My question is this.

Does this have any trade value anymore? I mean it all just sits in a box in my garage these days and never gets played. I would like to trade it for something useful lol.

If it has no real trade value I will consider other options to unload it all of course like some sort of GAF contest to just give it away ;P

what kind of use has the second dc seen? i'm in the market for a console to play phantasy star with so if it doesn't have a pso serial number assigned to it i'd be interested that.

i'd be willing to trade my modded gc for that.

I was playing around with the Passport disc of Shenmue. Man the graphics are still gorgeous! The amount of detail in the faces of the characters is just amazing! I always thought Dreamcast looked better than PS2 even though PS2 came out AFTER Dreamcast.

The passport models are much higher poly than the in-game models.
PS2 definitely outputs more geometry than DC, but I always thought DC had much better textures.

G0523

• Space Channel 5
  • ChuChu Rocket
  • Jet Grind Radio
  • Tomb Raider Chronicles
  • Elemental Gimmick Gear
  • Seaman
  • Grandia II
  • Shenmue
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Silver
  • Blue Stinger
  • Pen Pen Triathalon
  • Crazy Taxi

My question is this.

Judging from my calculations, I'd say you'd get about $200 from everything. If you have the microphone for Seaman, your collection could get bumped up to $250. The rips of games are worthless. It also kind of depends on how good condition everything is as well, especially that second Dreamcast. The most expensive games you own in your collection are Skies of Arcadia by a wide margin (about $40-50) with EGG and Grandia II in second for about $20 each.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I was re-arranging a closet yesterday and came upon my Dreamcast stuff. It's been literally years since I'd even hooked it up, and I was curious to see how it looked on my 61" Toshiba HDTV that I bought four years ago. So I hooked it up via the standard RCA cables just to mess around with a few games for nostalgia's sake. Sure enough, five hours later at around 1 AM I finally turned it off.

I played some Soul Calibur, a little bit of Sonic, did a few runs with Crazy Taxi, listened to the title screen music of Skies of Arcadia, ran a few races of Test Drive LeMans, challenged a few racers in Tokyo Extreme Racer, and swam around some with Ecco the Dolphin.

And now I know how I'm going to spend my entire weekend, lol.

I think I need to play through Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue again, it's been too long.

One thing though, the graphics really didn't look super with my DC hooked up to my HDTV via the standard cable from Sega. Today over lunch I looked into buying the good old SVGA adapter and Holy Shit, I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money. Are there any other alternatives, or am I destined to playing my DC via the good old yellow/white/red cables?

petran79

Banned
Decided to put the Dreamcast next to the PC for 2 player games with my brother.
I connected it to the TV, not monitor.

Emulation is nice and all but I prefer the original for games such as Soulcalibour, Virtua Tennis 2, WWF Royal Rumble, Ready 2 Rumble, NBA Jam, Virtua Fighter 3 and Virtua Striker. Those were some of the best gaming moments with my bro

Console works fine, despite the age. Maybe I have to connect the PSU pins to avoid resets once in a while but no problem so far

So I was re-arranging a closet yesterday and came upon my Dreamcast stuff. It's been literally years since I'd even hooked it up, and I was curious to see how it looked on my 61" Toshiba HDTV that I bought four years ago. So I hooked it up via the standard RCA cables just to mess around with a few games for nostalgia's sake. Sure enough, five hours later at around 1 AM I finally turned it off.

I played some Soul Calibur, a little bit of Sonic, did a few runs with Crazy Taxi, listened to the title screen music of Skies of Arcadia, ran a few races of Test Drive LeMans, challenged a few racers in Tokyo Extreme Racer, and swam around some with Ecco the Dolphin.

And now I know how I'm going to spend my entire weekend, lol.

I think I need to play through Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue again, it's been too long.

One thing though, the graphics really didn't look super with my DC hooked up to my HDTV via the standard cable from Sega. Today over lunch I looked into buying the good old SVGA adapter and Holy Shit, I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money. Are there any other alternatives, or am I destined to playing my DC via the good old yellow/white/red cables?

There's S-Video, which doesn't look bad. If you don't want to spend $50+ on VGA and you're not equipped for SCART RGB, then S-Video is as good as you can get.

It's wild how the price of entry for VGA has increased. I remember getting mine for what, $15?

Yeah. Racketboy really publicized them and drove up demand (not to mention everyone getting LCDs/Plasmas), and then when he ran out of stock it left people wanting VGA but not able to get it. Kind of exploded from there. There are guys making new cables and boxes (Hanzo on the Assemblergames forums, etc), and I think that's the best route vs. paying eBay prices for old stock. But that's still a lot more costly than what it was years ago.

Teknoman

Speaking of trades, think anyone would want to trade Blue Stinger or Carrier for Rayman 2?

Unfortunately the Rayman 2 doesnt come in its actual case, and has a good amount of scratches, but plays perfectly. I've come to realize I like 2D Rayman (Rayman 1, Origins, Legends) more than 3D.

Mzo

/unfollowed - late on this, but for real, i like chrontendo (and especially turbo) but he had a clear pattern of shitting on the SMS, which i kinda get for many games (even if he never gives sega its due for nearly holding it down solo)...this was really putting it out there though: if you can't even give it up for the DC's fantastic library inside of what, 2 years?, then...i don't even know what to say
Chrontendo is pretty great but Dr. Sparkle is so anti-Sega it's ridiculous. There was one Chronsega episode where he just tried to shit on Phantasy Star the entire time and I just could not abide... and now the Dreamcast? Some crazy fanboy bullshit is going on in his head.

In other news, I think Ace Ventura delivered this package to my house by the looks of it:

The trip from Germany was not kind. Luckily the contents were largely undamaged:

I'll post some impressions after I spend some time with it =]

IrishNinja

^god yes, he shat all over PSII and unlike any other JRPG of its era its never "very good for its time" type of thing. by the time he sniped Ys on master system for PC engine having a better version i almost hurt my eyes rolling them

that's gorgeous though! damn i wish idve gone in on it...and please do, still curious if its worth hunting down!

Toxa

Guys I need help I trying to play shenmue (US disc) on a french dreamcast using utopia boot disc but I'm always stuck at 98%

any ideas ?

Sixfortyfive

Bought the US Dreamcast version, wondered what the hell I waited a decade for, trial-and-errored my way to 100% in a few days and had a blast the whole time.

A few weeks pass, I feel like playing some more, so I buy the Japanese DX version because why the hell not, and I do it all over again.

A few more weeks pass and I pick up the XBLA version specifically for leaderboards. Haven't had something that scratches this particular itch that well in a really long time. I'm shooting for at least top 10 on something (and I'm close on at least a few right now).

Thinking on it, JSR really reminds me a lot of NiGHTS into dreams, just with a lot more depth to it. The same core qualities are there: time-based score-attack gameplay all about maneuvering as efficiently and stylishly as possible, with some great music and art direction for the backdrop.

Sixfortyfive

Anyone ever figure out one for Center Street (the Shibuya area where you tag the Love Shockers)? That's the only stage I couldn't find one in. Not unless you also count that 4th area of Kogane that doesn't really matter since you have access to the other 3 areas in that stage anyway. There doesn't seem to be any good way to move uphill in either one and I couldn't find a smaller isolated loop anywhere.

Top Bottom