• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

user237

Can anyone give me a quick run down on what I need to get VGA going with my dreamcast? Is it a physical modification I have to make? A cable?

You just need to get a VGA box. No modification is necessary, but some people have modded their system to move the internals of a VGA box into the Dreamcast itself for cosmetic reasons.

Search for Dreamcast VGA box on ebay. You should find plenty there.

Komo

Banned
You just need to get a VGA box. No modification is necessary, but some people have modded their system to move the internals of a VGA box into the Dreamcast itself for cosmetic reasons.

Search for Dreamcast VGA box on ebay. You should find plenty there.

Not too sure if it's true or not, but I think I heard that cheap VGA boxes from ebay usually cause issues in terms of picture quality and color balance. Hopefully I'm wrong though, considering I'd like to get one myself.

Anyone had any experiences with Retro-Bit branded VGA Boxes?

Persona7

Banned
The cheap VGA boxes I tried were trash BUT there are several different ones so maybe some of them might be good. Does anyone know anything about the cheap VGA cables?

IrishNinja

yeah, first cheapy one i used had a purple tint, current one (i think i got it from racketboy years back?) is way better, especially over HDMI!

koopas

This thread eventually pushed me over the edge to become a member! Being lurking around these parts for awhile. Just started collecting for the DC, think I'm off to a good start so far (pics incoming).

I have a question that I've received a few different conflicting responses from - so is JoJo's VGA compatible or not? The back of the case indicates its VGA cord compatible. Pretty sure I have a vga cord and I'm still getting the dreaded error not compatible message! Bah

Persona7

Banned
This thread eventually pushed me over the edge to become a member! Being lurking around these parts for awhile. Just started collecting for the DC, think I'm off to a good start so far (pics incoming).

I have a question that I've received a few different conflicting responses from - so is JoJo's VGA compatible or not? The back of the case indicates its VGA cord compatible. Pretty sure I have a vga cord and I'm still getting the dreaded error not compatible message! Bah

No, it is not compatible. However, if you can find the "For matching service" version it is compatible.

Capcpcom

koopas

I just find it strange how a lot of DC games make no mention of VGA compatibility on the back on the case, yet support it (and look beautiful I might add) yet JoJo's says specifically 'VGA Cord' with the little icon and no support.

Someone had mentioned to me that VGA cord compatible and VGA box compatibility are two entirely different things which I am confused by...

FaintDeftone

I picked up a copy of Crazy Taxi over the weekend. I missed playing this game so much and I snatched it up rather cheaply (it isn't necessarily rare or anything).

I popped it in tonight and did a couple of runs as B.D. Joe and it brought back so many memories. This game is on basically every platform ever yet I hate to play it without it's original music.

Wereroku

I finally got a copy of EGG for a decent price that claimed it was complete. Hope its true so I don't want to have to get a refund since it is such a hassle. Anyway the game looks really fun does anyone know if the dreamcast version of worms is any good?

kunonabi

I finally got a copy of EGG for a decent price that claimed it was complete. Hope its true so I don't want to have to get a refund since it is such a hassle. Anyway the game looks really fun does anyone know if the dreamcast version of worms is any good?

its probably the most played version of worm in my group. Tons of fun and certainly worth it if you ask me.

Persona7

Banned
I picked up a copy of Crazy Taxi over the weekend. I missed playing this game so much and I snatched it up rather cheaply (it isn't necessarily rare or anything).

I popped it in tonight and did a couple of runs as B.D. Joe and it brought back so many memories. This game is on basically every platform ever yet I hate to play it without it's original music.

You can even get a sealed copy for under 30 bucks or so. Totally worth it.

koopas

Picked up that Spawn game based off a recommedation. Never thought a Spawn game could be this good I'm impressed. Didnt cost me an arm and i leg grabbed it for under $30 complete. I'm pretty sure I spot some Times New Roman on the cover however lol.

IrishNinja

^ah, didn't know that one was getting up there...on a related note, i was noticing how few legit DC games i have since selling some & a roommate jacking the others, sadly. looking to replace them later this year, it looks like only Sonic Adventure 2, Skies, Cannon Spike & a few others are gonna cost me (i need to look up a bunch like Crazy Taxi 2 etc), I wanted to get a legit Cosmic Smash but man that's not cheap either...has this scene moved up much in recent times?

Need some help with VGA cable usage.

Recenty I bought a VGA cable for my DC, the one I have ordered comes with a Red and White audio connectors, but the monitor I am using has no input for these, can I just hook up some speakers using a 3.5 mm jack and get sound that way?

Nikodemos

Recenty I bought a VGA cable for my DC, the one I have ordered comes with a Red and White audio connectors, but the monitor I am using has no input for these, can I just hook up some speakers using a 3.5 mm jack and get sound that way?
Does your monitor have speakers and a 3.5mm input? You could get an RCA to 3.5 cable and plug in in your display.

koopas

Well having only been seriously collecting DC for a year or so, I've only had a year of following price trends for the console. That being said, I've noticed the price disparity amongst titles can be a huge gap. For instance a Power Stone 2 or like you mentioned above Cannon Spike can hit the 100+ dollar range at times, yet grabbing a similarly good game like Crazy Taxi or Soul Reaver can be had factory sealed for a fraction of the price.

I will say that I have watched Shenmue rise in the past year I've been following prices. Picked a CIB for 15-20 dollars back six months ago. Its nearing the 30-40 range now depending on where you look. I would probably jump on that one soonish. Another one that has seen a price spike since I've been following is Illbleed. The game's quality is up for debate however it's looking to be one of the more pricey ones these days.

Does your monitor have speakers and a 3.5mm input? You could get an RCA to 3.5 cable and plug in in your display.

Yeah the monitor does have a 3.5 mm input, I have a set of external PC speakers hooked up to it.

I just did some digging on an AV forum and I ordered a RCA to 3.5mm adapter from Amazon, this should work with my monitor.

Guess it's back to using the RGB scart cable for a few days until I get the adapter.

I adore this game. And despite being on everything, Dreamcast really is the perfect console port. Dem triggers.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I adore this game. And despite being on everything, Dreamcast really is the perfect console port. Dem triggers.

Yep. I almost bought the Steam version of Crazy Taxi until I read that it does not have analog control at all. Even if you use an Xbox pad it only reads the analog stick as a digital input. That plus the missing Offspring music made me decide to just keep playing my DC version instead. It's just the best version available.

Yep. I almost bought the Steam version of Crazy Taxi until I read that it does not have analog control at all. Even if you use an Xbox pad it only reads the analog stick as a digital input. That plus the missing Offspring music made me decide to just keep playing my DC version instead. It's just the best version available.

YEAH-YEAH-YEAH-YEAH-YEAH

koopas

Picked up Pen Pen TriIcelon, this game is awesomely weird. Pen Shark's voice actor is so very Japanese it's great. Very fun game however a little light on content, would like to see a GP mode or something to that effect. Highly recommend picking this up, fun and bizarre party game.

A question to those who've played it, what is with the load screens featuring the real life photos of mailboxes and outdoor advertisements - and is the text in German? Had a very wtf moment when those popped up

Well having only been seriously collecting DC for a year or so, I've only had a year of following price trends for the console. That being said, I've noticed the price disparity amongst titles can be a huge gap. For instance a Power Stone 2 or like you mentioned above Cannon Spike can hit the 100+ dollar range at times, yet grabbing a similarly good game like Crazy Taxi or Soul Reaver can be had factory sealed for a fraction of the price.

I will say that I have watched Shenmue rise in the past year I've been following prices. Picked a CIB for 15-20 dollars back six months ago. Its nearing the 30-40 range now depending on where you look. I would probably jump on that one soonish. Another one that has seen a price spike since I've been following is Illbleed. The game's quality is up for debate however it's looking to be one of the more pricey ones these days.

I've kind of noticed that Illbleed's been gaining a bit of a cult following last couple years...not sure exactly why.

koopas

I've kind of noticed that Illbleed's been gaining a bit of a cult following last couple years...not sure exactly why.
I really like the ideas presented by illbleed. The horror heartrate mechanic and the general camp and wacky characters are funny also - then I played it.

Ironhorse

Neo Member
Reading this thread has given me an itch to go rummaging through my closet to dig out the Dreamcast. I did buy some controller extension cables last year since the original controller cords are on the shorter side.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Reading this thread has given me an itch to go rummaging through my closet to dig out the Dreamcast. I did buy some controller extension cables last year since the original controller cords are on the shorter side.
This is a huge problem with Dreamcast lightguns especially.

onionfrog

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about picking up another dreamcast. I sold mine during college to pay for books. I regret it a lot now. :(

Luckily systems seem to be dirt cheap. I can get a console with a controller for only $30, although that doesn't include a VMU.

While looking around online, it seems that the japanese copies of many of my favorite fighting games tend to be considerably cheaper than the US versions...

Is there anywhere that I could send a Dreamcast to get it modded to be region free for a reasonable price? (In the US).

I know that I could just use swap discs. But if I could get one modded fairly cheaply that would be preferable.

Played a bit of Godzilla generations. Pretty fun game (kind of like a cross between Iron soldier and Rampage, if you need an idea. The camera angles change automatically, so it required a bit of time to get used to how it controls. It is a little difficult to find EVERYTHING that is destructible, but I would imagine it will get easier with repeated attempts. The music is CLASSIC Godzilla (from the Japanese movies) Not sure if it has the music from the American version when you unlock him.. but, so far, a lot of fun destroying buildings..... Gets a little tough when tanks, jets and helicopters begin their attack.. but rewarding feeling when you shoot 'em down..

Fox Mulder

I don't get Sega. Licensing was supposedly the issue with the music, but the mobile version of the game has the original soundtrack and is half the price of the xbla version.

...plus they never re-released chuchu rocket anywhere besides mobile.

IrishNinja

^i didn't think so based on my attempts a year or two back, but recent people in this & other threads have sworn to me that it's good to go these days. when i tried it then, i had problems with the geometry where you could basically see through any building (or even Ryo) at the wrong angles, but i'm hoping that's now fixed.

onionfrog

yeah thats how i played my import ikaruga (my first import ever, lol) before i had a japanese dc.
I'd like to add that Gameshark CDX will also work for imports. That's what I used on my old dreamcast back when I still had it.

Damn I need to get a new dreamcast! Time to troll eBay for some deals.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
To its credit, the XB version had the English voiceovers including the cast from the previous installment, and it's like $7 these days.

Yaaaay, Moero Justice Gakuen just arrived!
... in truth I don't really know anything about it other than that I adore the style and people say it's awesome. Really, really looking forward to trying it out though.

also this party mode sounds bonkers and I need to round up some people to try it out.

You absolutely need Typing of the Dead.

hodgy100

hey, Ive had a dreamcast for a while and have a fairly small library for it :( my DC "collection is as follows though:
console + 2 controllers
2 light guns
fishing controller
Keyboard
2 vmu's 1 memory card and 1 rumble pack

games:
Sonic Adventure 1 + 2
Sega Bass Fishing
HotD 2
Confidential Misson
Jet set radio

I'm wanting to pad out my collection so I'm going for a copy of shenmue 1 and 2 on ebay, what else shall I get gaf?

Top Bottom