• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

They replied to someone on Twitter saying,

"We’re a touch busy watching #Wimbledon at the moment... but we’ll have a new title ready for you this coming week!"

So it's a safe to say it will be Virtua Tennis or something like that.

Yup, Virtua Tennis Challenge has been updated for the service as of today.

Rlan

Yup, Virtua Tennis Challenge has been updated for the service as of today.

Cool to see them update a game like this. The game hadn't been updated since 2012, just after the iPhone 5 screen size changed. It would have been killed with the 32-bitocalypse coming up soon. Guess it was worth keeping around with ads!

Hopefully they can do this with some of the previous iPhone games, like the Super Monkey Ball titles, Chu Chu Rocket and Jet Set Radio.

Well, it's cool they added another game, particularly something as great and unloved as Virtua Tennis (which as I recall was THE tennis game back in the day) - but seriously Sega, you need to fix all your other shit.

It's all well and good saying in interviews "we're listening", but you're letting something that could've been potentially amazing crash on impact.

Big update to Sega Forever soon please. Also include all the games in a single app.

Well, it's cool they added another game, particularly something as great and unloved as Virtua Tennis (which as I recall was THE tennis game back in the day) - but seriously Sega, you need to fix all your other shit.

It's all well and good saying in interviews "we're listening", but you're letting something that could've been potentially amazing crash on impact.

Big update to Sega Forever soon please. Also include all the games in a single app.

Yep and yep. No sign of acknowledgment that their games are buggy, and so much for the listening. I would bet any money I have that Shenmue is easily their most requested game on Twitter at least. So I don't know what record they are listening to.

Also, absolutely these should be withing a single app hub. One big yellow square to hit, and in we go. All the games in there to download within app. Also not hard to add a little news tab or a coming soon tab, instead of relying on dripfed random news outlets to know a new game has dropped.

I don't have an issue with the games themselves, or the model they are being released in. That's a business decision, and I can see the reasons. But for a venture that's trying to promote Sega in a new light, they have handled this like.....Sega.

Yep and yep. No sign of acknowledgment that their games are buggy, and so much for the listening. I would bet any money I have that Shenmue is easily their most requested game on Twitter at least. So I don't know what record they are listening to.

Also, absolutely these should be withing a single app hub. One big yellow square to hit, and in we go. All the games in there to download within app. Also not hard to add a little news tab or a coming soon tab, instead of relying on dripfed random news outlets to know a new game has dropped.

I don't have an issue with the games themselves, or the model they are being released in. That's a business decision, and I can see the reasons. But for a venture that's trying to promote Sega in a new light, they have handled this like.....Sega.

Agreed on all points! This absolutely should be a single app - they'd get thousands more downloads if that was the case. I really hope they're listening to feedback and have taken that idea on-board; this is how the concept should have launched. Your ideas are pretty great too, in terms of the news and coming soon tabs. I guess the hopeless optimistic in me is hoping they're reading online feedback and plan to implement awesome shit like this - though realistically speaking the best we can hope for is a performance/bug fix update.

As for Shenmue, personally I'm hoping that Shenmue 3 sells like, upwards of a million units and Sega then think "damn, we should have listened to the fans and fucking funded that".

fester

Banned
Sega does what Nintendont.

You're right, Sega releases its retro games on a questionable mobile platform. Meanwhile Nintendo creates a NES and SNES mini system that has demand through the roof. If Sega wanted to really cater to the retro market, they'd make something similar in the likeness of a Genesis. Mobile generates zero nostalgia for me and lack of physical buttons is a deal breaker.

You're right, Sega releases its retro games on a questionable mobile platform. Meanwhile Nintendo creates a NES and SNES mini system that has demand through the roof. If Sega wanted to really cater to the retro market, they'd make something similar in the likeness of a Genesis. Mobile generates zero nostalgia for me and lack of physical buttons is a deal breaker.

Exactly, Sega puts out retro games in a manner that pretty much anyone can enjoy for free, Nintendo in a manner a million or so can at varying levels of greater cost. Well I guess I'm just repeating what you and clo1_2000 said, Sega does what Nintendon't.

Exactly, Sega puts out retro games in a manner that pretty much anyone can enjoy for free, Nintendo in a manner a million or so can at varying levels of greater cost. Well I guess I'm just repeating what you and clo1_2000 said, Sega does what Nintendon't.

In theory and concept, this is Sega > Nintendo for the reasons you mentioned.

It's just that Sega gonna Sega and they fucked up in execution. For now at least. Hoping they have an update/soft relaunch planned.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How come I never heard of this before today?

I am ok with this.

Cant beat free.

Time to grab Phantasy Star 1 and 2..

I only see 2, :-( They gotta release 1.

Got word on Sonic Retro that apparently Comix Zone got an update that improves the emulation/sound quality - so Sega might finally be starting to get their shit together.

Anyone know if anything else has been updated?

Got word on Sonic Retro that apparently Comix Zone got an update that improves the emulation/sound quality - so Sega might finally be starting to get their shit together.

Looks like they've all been updated with better sound emulation and cloud save fixes and improvements.

Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, and Altered Beast just got updates pushed through to my phone for better sound and cloud save fixes.

In theory and concept, this is Sega > Nintendo for the reasons you mentioned.

It's just that Sega gonna Sega and they fucked up in execution. For now at least. Hoping they have an update/soft relaunch planned.

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with this program but given it is Sega I won't bat an eyelash at whatever happens. That being said a botched software launch is a lot easier to fix than a botched hardware one. We'll see if they fix it, though we already know that Nintendo won't.

Baleoce

I just downloaded and tried out Phantasy Star II. All in all I think they've done a good job with this.

You have a choice of business model. Free with ads, which aren't there while you're actually playing the game, it does it while you save, and requires cloud saving so it can serve you the ads. Or alternatively, and in this games case at least, pay £1.99 (which considering what the competition charges for its legacy games seems very fair) to ditch the ads and allow local saving. And it supports bluetooth controllers as well so people who want that physical controller response don't have to worry. I'm kind of impressed tbh. I like the fact that you get a choice of business model. Playing the free one didn't really bother me at all. Although I'll have to play for longer to see if the ad implementation is consistent.

muteki

I just downloaded and tried out Phantasy Star II. All in all I think they've done a good job with this.

You have a choice of business model. Free with ads, which aren't there while you're actually playing the game, it does it while you save, and requires cloud saving so it can serve you the ads. Or alternatively, and in this games case at least, pay £1.99 (which considering what the competition charges for its legacy games seems very fair) to ditch the ads and allow local saving. And it supports bluetooth controllers as well so people who want that physical controller response don't have to worry. I'm kind of impressed tbh. I like the fact that you get a choice of business model. Playing the free one didn't really bother me at all. Although I'll have to play for longer to see if the ad implementation is consistent.

I think the business model is great but the performance and selection is lacking.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If I pay the $1.99 in one game, does that unlock all the games? Or just the one?

just the one. still a good deal compared to Wii/Wii U VC. Not so good compared to any of the PC bundles.

I'd be in in a heartbeat on most of these if they'd include Apple TV compatibility. Still NO idea why they don't. QA testing aside, the coding effort is realistically about 45 seconds.

Ludist210

I'd be in in a heartbeat on most of these if they'd include Apple TV compatibility. Still NO idea why they don't. QA testing aside, the coding effort is realistically about 45 seconds.
Yeah, this. It's technically Android TV compatible, but I use that term loosely.

I downloaded three of the games to my Shield TV from the Play Store on the web, and none of them work particularly well. I can get Kid Chameleon to work about...one in four times that I load it. The rest of the time my controller gets mapped strangely and I can't get past the main menu.

...the spider man version ? wow

I think that was just for the video. Although it's weird because the title screen is the version with the redrawn face to remove the Sonny Chiba resemblance, while the rest of the footage is the version with almost all famous bosses/enemies intact (Godzilla, Arnie, Spidey).

But yeah, I'm pretty sure we are going to get the Wii revision with pink Spidey lol.

The true feel of classic portable gaming, cheap plastic clip on accessories and all.
Handy_Boy_ad_for_original_Game_Boy.jpg

Nothing says quality like a company called STD.

Fukuzatsu

This isn't the game-changer for Sega that it thinks it is...Imagine if they brought out a Dreamcast Mini!

What would that be I wonder?

Jet Set Radio
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
House of the Dead 2
Street Fighter III Third Strike
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Capcom vs SNK 2
KOF 2000?
Crazy Taxi (2?)
Metropolis Street Racer (or Sega GT)
Space Channel 5
Samba de Amigo
Virtua Tennis 2
Virtua Fighter 3
Soul Calibur
Power Stone (2?)

RedToad64

What would that be I wonder?

Jet Set Radio
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
House of the Dead 2
Street Fighter III Third Strike
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Capcom vs SNK 2
KOF 2000?
Crazy Taxi (2?)
Metropolis Street Racer (or Sega GT)
Samba de Amigo
Virtua Tennis 2
Virtua Fighter 3
Soul Calibur
Power Stone (2?)
You forgot Space Channel 5!

Is it just me, or is the emulation quality in Ristar significantly better than the other games?

Sega mentions on it facebook that Saturn games wiil be ported instead emulated. Is this new info?

We are talking about a native Android version of Panzer Dragoon Saga here

RAIDEN1

Why Sega never bothered going with their own official Genesis/Megadrive mini is baffling, instead of outsourcing it, when they can clearly see the Super Nintendo Mini being as popular if NOT MORE than this Sega Forever programme...

Top Bottom