• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Game Gear Appreciation Thread: Separating The Men From The Boys

Rezae

Game Gear perhaps gives me my fondest memories of my younger years gaming.

I saved up for it on my own with paper route money and bought around 10 games for it. I had a nice official case to hold it all in and kept everything super organized, like this (not my pic):

4FfNkun.jpg

I was very much in the Game Gear camp over Gameboy. The color screen made the Gameboy seem archaic. Luckily I had an AC adaptor which was never much of a hassle laying around the house with it. I recall really loving Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi on it, along with the Sonic games. I never did get the TV tuner.

Very underrated system and kind of reminds me of the Vita these days - just didn't catch on but a gem for those who owned it.

It was a great little device that really helped me enjoy my handheld when I only had a couple of games for it. Being able to play all my console games on the go was a boon.

For all the add-ons Sega made, I wish there was a way they could have made Gear to Master converter. The library pretty much goes untouched nowadays because of faulty hardware.

Khaz

For all the add-ons Sega made, I wish there was a way they could have made Gear to Master converter. The library pretty much goes untouched nowadays because of faulty hardware.

The colour palette will forever forbid it. They could have manages to make a cheap adapter had they designed the 32X differently, but as it cuts access to the SMS compatibility in the Megadrive it just won't happen.

God dammit decided to hunt down my game gear after seeing this thread , found it but cant find my game gear carts, popped in the batteries and it wont turn on .. :( , i don't remember but does it only power when a cart is in ?

No, without a cart it displays a white screen. So your Game Gear is probably broken :(.

Drat rip :(

games i played a lot was Aladdin, lion king, the mickey mouse games, terminator and road rash.

The gameboy was popular but for the few hours that battery lasted lasted people would gather around to see the color screen.

The shining force games on the game gear seem to be very good but i never found the carts for it , getting them on sega cd was easier

Khaz

It's probably only the screen capacitors that died. Once out, the screen stays shut permanently. You could try using earphones to ear if the game is running, but 1) the sound capacitors may have gone bad too and 2) the audio socket is flaky and you may not get contact without giggling the plug in a lot.

tl;dr it can be revived with a bit of work.

Mega

Banned
Cross posting from the Retro thread. Thanks to Jake from State Farm for notifying me of this thread!

Game Gear with McWill's LCD mod is a revelation. It's amazing how unappealing the original screen makes the game library and how unbelievably attractive they look with the new LCD. I didn't expect such a dramatic difference. It's a bigger leap than OG GBA to backlit SP.

I'm posting a few screenshots here and more in the Scanlines thread... the mod has seven scaling modes, three with VERTICAL lines that do a very convincing job of imitating the original screen (minus the crappiness).

Cross posting from the Retro thread. Thanks to Jake from State Farm for notifying me of this thread!

Game Gear with McWill's LCD mod is a revelation. It's amazing how unappealing the original screen makes the game library and how unbelievably attractive they look with the new LCD. I didn't expect such a dramatic difference. It's a bigger leap than OG GBA to backlit SP.

I'm posting a few screenshots here and more in the Scanlines thread... the mod has seven scaling modes, three with VERTICAL lines that do a very convincing job of imitating the original screen (minus the crappiness).

Did you get it with the VGA output? Also how long did it take?

Mega

Banned
Did you get it with the VGA output? Also how long did it take?

The seller on eBay has them ready to go. I asked about putting in VGA output and he mentioned not having the tools to make a clean opening for the VGA connector. That's fine with me as I want this one untethered and could get the VGA put in later if desired. I'm separately trying to obtain a consolized GG with RGB output and a controller port, one that I can leave plugged in to my CRTs and keep with my consoles at all times.

The seller on eBay has them ready to go. I asked about putting in VGA output and he mentioned not having the tools to make a clean opening for the VGA connector. That's fine with me as I want this one untethered and could get the VGA put in later if desired. I'm separately trying to obtain a consolized GG with RGB output and a controller port, one that I can leave plugged in to my CRTs and keep with my consoles at all times.

Would you be able to let me know the sellers ebay Id? I'd very much like to grab one of these myself, it'd be nice to have a GG with a far superior screen, it'd make playing several of my favourite games far easier to play!

I liked Game Gear, but it was amazing how many games that came out on both Game Gear and Master System. I found out many years later that Game Gear was pretty much a lower resolution Master System with more colors.

My question is, is there a list of games that were exclusive to the platform and not ported to Master System?

I liked Game Gear, but it was amazing how many games that came out on both Game Gear and Master System. I found out many years later that Game Gear was pretty much a lower resolution Master System with more colors.

My question is, is there a list of games that were exclusive to the platform and not ported to Master System?

yeah, on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Sega_Game_Gear-only_games

edit: this might be more comprehensive
http://l-lists.com/en/lists/s0r0ug.html

Onemic

Game Gear was the first gaming platform I owned. That thing was so ahead of its time....wasnt its graphics only upended by the GBA?

Game Gear was the first gaming platform I owned. That thing was so ahead of its time....wasnt its graphics only upended by the GBA?

Wonderswan Color before GBA imo

Of course, handheld gaming always had to balance performance with battery life.

You also had portable home hardware like Turbo Express and Nomad too if that counts. Turbo Express released around the same time as Game Gear and it surpassed the GG graphically imo.

Honestly, the Lynx might beat GG too thanks to its scaling and rotation capabilities.

Mega

Banned
^Turbo being graphically superior is more than personal opinion, it's fact :p

There was a thread about gaming hardware that was ahead of its time. Popular answers were PSP, Neo Geo, Nomad and Game Gear. TurboExpress alone obliterates the argument for Sega handhelds (same year as GG, years before Nomad).

Not counting portable consoles (wouldn't the SMS-like GG be in this category?), the Lynx edges it out. If that's too close of a comparison, then it has to be the Neo Geo Pocket Color which came out in 1999, two years ahead of the GBA.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

This is what Im looking for, hope somebody starts producing them soon!

Hey guys and gals!

Stupid question for you. I have two Game Gears, one black and one blue, but both have busted capacitors. The first's screen went completely dark while the other has no sound.

I know the OP has do it yourself links but anyone know a great repair service?

Makes me wish Hyperkin would get off their asses and release that GG adapter for the retron5 already...

I used to have a Game Gear until it got stolen when I moved to California back in 94. I never got around to buying another one, wish I owned one now.

NesFe

Haha, seeeing this thread made me search for my game gear (I knew I didn't get rid of it back in the day) and I found it alongside a couple of games.

Nv9rFlI.jpg

I think I also have a sonic game somewhere in the house but I can't find it :( I'm going to get some bactteries tommorow and see if the thing still works.

Game Gear was my first video game system ever. Before that, I'd only ever played on my friend's Master System, so getting the Game Gear and being able to play exactly the same games was pretty cool, although obviously I just took it for granted at the time.

The only issue was, I received the Game Gear for christmas 1996, and as everyone will know, the handheld was totally discontinued the following year. I remember going to GAME to get a new game for it, then going back a couple of months later and the Game Gear section having totally disappeared. The next few years (until April 2000, when I got a Gameboy Color) was spent searching high and low for any Game Gear games I could find- often at flea market type places, or left over stock in big shops.

I ended up with a really weird selection of games because of this (I remember loving some football game called Super Kick Off), and I was never able to get Sonic Triple Trouble, which is what I wanted the most. Still a great system though.

Thinking back, it's very endearing how little I, or my parents, knew about video games. I remember my mam randomly asking me if I wanted Streets of Rage 2 for my birthday, solely because it was advertised on the back of the Sonic 2 manual. I remember my dad buying the wrong AC adaptor for the Game Gear and hitting the end of it with a hammer to try and make it fit. And most embarrassingly of all, I remember booting up Sonic Chaos for the first time, and refusing to press any buttons on the character select screen as I thought it was 'loading' and pressing buttons might make it crash.

Well, after a year I got most of the titels I wanted, still missing 6 titles, but we'll see about those...

So this is my collection after a year (started with 3 titles)

IMG_20161002_141226013.jpg

And these are my latest additions:

14632946_10210559941616487_3284619567659359309_n.jpg

So fingers crossed I get those other 6 next year...

Finding this topic has brought up bittersweet memories for me. I let my sister borrow my Game Gear for an extended amount of time and then when I tried to get it back, found out that she had sold it. I had Puzzle Popils for it too! Sigh...

Anyways... I'm definitely wanting to grab another one of these beauties. I'm kinda scared to ask but how much were those McWill mods when they were available?

Mknzy

I'm planning to start collecting GG, probably not going to worry about getting the games boxed, loose carts are ok for me. The questions I'd like to ask are 1) What are the more expensive games to get for the system, and 2) How much are you generally looking at to get the McWill LCD mod done to a system? I have seen one or two on Ebay, and they are going for about 500 bucks, so I'm hoping I don't have to spend that kind of money on it. Would love any information you can share!

I'm planning to start collecting GG, probably not going to worry about getting the games boxed, loose carts are ok for me. The questions I'd like to ask are 1) What are the more expensive games to get for the system, and 2) How much are you generally looking at to get the McWill LCD mod done to a system? I have seen one or two on Ebay, and they are going for about 500 bucks, so I'm hoping I don't have to spend that kind of money on it. Would love any information you can share!

I've seen the McWill Mods done for cheaper... around $380-$400. The most expensive games are Mega Man, Urban Strike, Shining Force, Tails Adventure etc... According to Game Value Now a Complete loose set could be had for about $1600

Mknzy

Thanks for the info! I actually may be getting lucky on the mod, I work in an auto dealer, and one of the techs is taking a look at my system, he may be able to do the mod, which would mean I would just have to buy the kit, and no installation cost. I have about 20 games so far, including Shining Force. I'm looking forward to building this set!

So I got my first ever Game Gear last month. Found it at a local flea market for a whopping €1,5. Came with a cartridge of Sonic The Hedgehog too. I figured that the cart alone was worth more than that in case the console was broken.

Turned out it still worked just fine as well, so I decided to get some more games for it. These arrived today. I got a couple more on the way.

As a collector I typically like my games complete in box, but I'm not going to bother for the Game Gear. Gonna have to figure out a way to properly store my carts though.

JsxtWXm.jpg

E3gDPda.jpg

As a collector I typically like my games complete in box, but I'm not going to bother for the Game Gear. Gonna have to figure out a way to properly store my carts though.

I have this issue with Gameboy games. At least those stack nicely like a deck of cards, unlike GG games. Mine are stored in a GameGear carry bag for now. like the one at the top of this page

I always think about getting into game gear and making a consolized one but it's low on the priority list. Does anyone have any experience with patched GG Roms running on a SMS? I'm wondering how accurate and stable it is. I imagine the pallets will be tweaked to try and match the original.

Sanjuro

I consider the Game Gear largely my second console. Just aesthetically, hate when they switched to the purple branding.

Top Bottom