• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Game Gear Appreciation Thread: Separating The Men From The Boys

I always think about getting into game gear and making a consolized one but it's low on the priority list. Does anyone have any experience with patched GG Roms running on a SMS? I'm wondering how accurate and stable it is. I imagine the pallets will be tweaked to try and match the original.

(Weird, I posted in here, but somehow my post disappeared, lol.)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that you also have the option of the RetroN 5 with the Game Gear adapter: http://hyperkinlab.com/hyperkin-ret...me-gear-master-system-and-master-system-card/

Not my personal solution of choice, but it's out there and probably works good enough.

Edit: and there is my post again... what just happened?

(Weird, I posted in here, but somehow my post disappeared, lol.)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that you also have the option of the RetroN 5 with the Game Gear adapter: http://hyperkinlab.com/hyperkin-ret...me-gear-master-system-and-master-system-card/

Not my personal solution of choice, but it's out there and probably works good enough.

Edit: and there is my post again... what just happened?

I appreciate the post but I'm definitely not interested in the retron 5

Somebody found a PAL version of Ninja Surfers. Nowhere is there a mention on full set lists for this title. Good fake or genuine? Also has pictures of the instruction manual and cart...

sf_173.jpg

If it's true, then nobody has a full set yet. :eek:

Mknzy

I've started working on my collection, up to almost 90 games so far. Got my modded system as well. Really having a lot of fun with it. Watching a few of the rare titles on ebay is amusing. For Panzer Dragoon Mini there are a handful of boxed copies asking 270-380ish, then one loose cart copy with a stock photo where the guy is asking closer to 750. Good luck selling that *laughs*

Khaz

I need to get myself a new GG. The one I had as a child is just completely worn out: the dpad is coming off, the screen is scratched beyond repair and the audio socket switch is forever on (no hp sound) and the PSU needs to be held at a very specific angle to work. I took that console with me everywhere I went and it served me very well.

I've been considering consolising it someday, but I want to give it a good shell for it. The cut-in-half shoddy work I've seen online is not appealing at all.
I need to learn 3D modelling and printing

Just saw this tweet in my feed:

tweet2eoe4.png

Google translate:
"It was pretty good at first look ww It seems that it was a game using Gawa's Gawa w This is amazing. That's excellent. #MI68"

The pics in the tweet:

Are they running MSX games on a Game Gear?! They both have Zilog Z80 processors so I guess it would work.

bionic77

I remember being blown away by the Game Gear but even more by the TurboExpress.

I didn't know anyone with a TE but I knew a decent amount of kids with a GG. Everyone and their fucking mom had the gameboy. Being first and having Tetris made a big difference.

cireza

Got back my LCD modded Game Gear a few days ago, mod done by McWill.

This is some very good quality stuff, I am very happy with the results. I have been playing some games. I love this console. It is very comfortable to hold because of its big size.

Played some fighting games and the console really has some good offerings in this category. My favorites are Fatal Fury Special, the two Power Rangers games and Mortal Kombat 2.

Power Rangers games make a very good use of the color palette, have a lot of characters, a story mode and lots of special attacks. Big sprites and everything plays well. Great stuff.

Mortal Kombat 2 is an impressive port. The sprites are huge, the colors for the characters are pretty good. Game is a bit slow, but it is still very enjoyable. Sadly, I can't find how to do the pit fatality with Mileena.

And Fatal Fury is a very good port considering the hardware, the sprites are small, but the game plays very well.

Also played some Aleste 2, fantastic shmup. Highly recommended.

Galdelico

Hey guys, I've been looking up a bit about this online, but I thought to check in here as well... There's still no way to (relatively) easily connect a Game Gear to a modern TV/monitor, right? I mean, aside from buying a RetroN 5 - something I'm not willing to do - or an McWill-modded system...

I didn't follow the latest news on that consolized Game Gear project, so I don't know if it's been abandoned or if it came out in such limited quantities that it didn't even get mentioned here in the end.

cireza

Hey guys, I've been looking up a bit about this online, but I thought to check in here as well... There's still no way to (relatively) easily connect a Game Gear to a modern TV/monitor, right? I mean, aside from buying a Retron 5 - something I'm not willing to do - or an McWill-modded system...

I didn't follow the latest news on that consolized Game Gear project, so I don't know if it's been abandoned or if it came out in such limited quantities that it didn't even get mentioned here in the end.
The console does not have any video output so a mod looks pretty much inevitable. Otherwise, you can always emulate the system.

ffvorax

I lost it... :(
Still have the games...

My first and only sega console, impossible to play on the go (battery consumption was insane), but loved to play with it plugged on the wall... XD

LittleDovah

Neo Member
*Slides in a year and a half later*

Hi everybody! I'm having a hard time finding the source data on how many Game Gear Units Sega sold. Does anyone have an idea where it could be? Everyone on the internet keeps repeating 10.62 million units, but nobody knows where that number came from. :messenger_persevering:

Top Bottom