• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

I just recently picked up Altered Beast and played through it. As a kid I never got the appeal, it just seemed so stiff and the atmosphere and color palette kind of creeped me out. But I have to say I've come around on it. I finally figured out the strategy to beat the fourth boss with the tiger form and actually breezed through the final level. Never realized the game was so short, either.

I never bothered to get good at Altered Beast because the game over music is easily the best part of the game.

BTails

I just recently picked up Altered Beast and played through it. As a kid I never got the appeal, it just seemed so stiff and the atmosphere and color palette kind of creeped me out. But I have to say I've come around on it. I finally figured out the strategy to beat the fourth boss with the tiger form and actually breezed through the final level. Never realized the game was so short, either.

Been playing Altered Beast on and off for the past couple months: I love the game. I still haven't been able to beat the last boss without continues... I can get to him without dying the whole game, but I still haven't been able to conquer him.

Congrats! Also glad to see i'm not the only one trying to play franchises in their release order

Haha, I hear ya. I bought graph paper in preparation for Shining in the Darkness. The problem comes after beating Shining Force: I already own Shining Wisdom for the Saturn, but my desire for CiB Genesis games means I'm going to pay a pretty price for Shining Force 2 before I get to Wisdom.

Khaz

Haha, I hear ya. I bought graph paper in preparation for Shining in the Darkness.

I tried to beat Shining in the darkness several times, but my mapping skills are just not up to par it's embarrassing, I keep getting lost and giving up after a while.

ElTopo

Banned
I love oldschool games (Golden Axe 1 still holds up very well I think) but Altered Beast just does nothing for me. I think I played it back in the day and even then I didn't like it. Sonic games being the pack in title was the best decision Sega ever made.

entremet

I was considering getting a Sega CD, then I looked up the prices on games I was interested in from watching Youtube and said, "Nope"

Some games are going for 200 disc only :D

I was considering getting a Sega CD, then I looked up the prices on games I was interested in from watching Youtube and said, "Nope"

There just being a handful of good games and not many of them made made it real easy for a low amount of people to control the prices of them. Sucks, but what you are in for with Sega CD.

There just being a handful of good games and not many of them made made it real easy for a low amount of people to control the prices of them. Sucks, but what you are in for with Sega CD.

You can mitigate the cost somewhat by tracking down JP releases, but then you'd need JP hardware or a flashcart that can spoof the hardware region AND deal with any potential language barrier. Not a big deal for some games like Robo/Dennin Aleste if you want the cheaper versions, but still a hassle.

You can mitigate the cost somewhat by tracking down JP releases, but then you'd need JP hardware or a flashcart that can spoof the hardware region AND deal with any potential language barrier. Not a big deal for some games like Robo/Dennin Aleste if you want the cheaper versions, but still a hassle.

Couldn't you just back it up and patch the ISO to run on a US system, or is that highly illegal?

entremet

Couldn't you just back it up and patch the ISO to run on a US system, or is that highly illegal?

Not if you bought the game originally.

Heck, in terms of illegally questionable territory, many early CD systems didn't have copy protection and you could just run off CD-Rs.

But I like the real thing.

alf717

Nah I don't think so. I know if this was my only method I would be OK with it cause I'm only using the original data for my own personal use. However I'm sure a cart that works like a Saturn 4-1 cart would be a better option for some.

I finally own my first Sega CD game. Hurray!!! I bought the Sega Classics 5 in 1 pack with Ecco for under $10. Honestly got it for Super Monaco GP alone but I'm sure the other will add to the value of the purchase.

Heck, in terms of illegally questionable territory, many early CD systems didn't have copy protection and you could just run off CD-Rs.

That's great, because the Armageddon that is disc rot will rain down misery on SEGA CDs pretty soon.

I originally typed in dic rot and it made me laugh

thomasos

That's great, because the Armageddon that is disc rot will rain down misery on SEGA CDs pretty soon.

I originally typed in dic rot and it made me laugh

I think there must be some environmental variable at play when it comes to disc rot. I see people talking about it all the time, but I've yet to see a single case of it with hundreds of Sega CD and Saturn discs.

IrishNinja

things i don't believe in:
1) dic disc rot
2) region enforcement
3) ethics of playing burned games from pre internet eras

I tried to beat Shining in the darkness several times, but my mapping skills are just not up to par it's embarrassing, I keep getting lost and giving up after a while.

oh man, i cant find mine but i swear Sega had some free ones if you called them, just like Phantasy Star 1. but youre right that it's essential! ill check my genesis guide when i get home, if it has any ill recommend that book.

Bought a copy of Starflight, complete with the long manual.

Outstanding game.

one of my favorites, congrats! and so jelly, the copy i bought back lacks both that book and starmap so it's not fit for actual replaying yet, as those are so important.

PROTIP: i know its stupid expensive but the sooner you can save up for that better mineral scanner thing, the quicker the game opens up for you. honestly, youll make your investment back so many times over & that'll be the time to really outfit your ship and start dealing with those asshole Uhleks

jesus, there should only be a handful of those though: Snatcher, Popful, Keio's, Cobra etc. I know Lunar 1/2 sadly jumped up but many should still be in more reasonable territory no?

Mzo

I love the Sega CD.

I just bought a handful of "replacement cases" for Saturn/Sega CD for a few bucks each and they ended up being games. Three of them were sealed NHL '94s (whatever) but one was Sega CD NBA Jam and the other is Sega CD Brutal: Paws of Fury. I already had Jam but how bad can Brutal be? I gotta try it out soon.

The Sega CD is one of my favorite systems. It has way more good games than it gets credit for. My next two purchases are probably going to be Wirehead and Wild Woody.

Skulldead

Is it bad that I don't want to get into Sega CD collecting
because of disc rot? :(

This is a valid argument. But you know Nes/Snes Game with battery acid can damage the board of cartrige. We never know what can happen with the game for long term. I remember rot was my biggest fear when collecting Sega-CD game... and none of my game have rot yet and they are place where the humidity is low so...

Peagles

This is a valid argument. But you know Nes/Snes Game with battery acid can damage the board of cartrige. We never know what can happen with the game for long term. I remember rot was my biggest fear when collecting Sega-CD game... and none of my game have rot yet and they are place where the humidity is low so...

I've never seen a battery leak in a cart yet. I've seen plenty of discs go belly up though not always to disc rot. It's very humid here in NZ.

thomasos

I love the Sega CD.

I just bought a handful of "replacement cases" for Saturn/Sega CD for a few bucks each and they ended up being games. Three of them were sealed NHL '94s (whatever) but one was Sega CD NBA Jam and the other is Sega CD Brutal: Paws of Fury. I already had Jam but how bad can Brutal be? I gotta try it out soon.

The Sega CD is one of my favorite systems. It has way more good games than it gets credit for. My next two purchases are probably going to be Wirehead and Wild Woody.

Yes, the Sega CD is awesome and easily the greatest add-on in video game history. It has so many great games. I always hated that it got lumped in with the 32X as one of Sega's "failures."

Funnily enough, I also purchased a sealed NBA Jam recently for the purposes of a replacement case.

Khaz

I don't know if it's a bad fighting game per se, but damn if it isn't noob-friendly. I keep getting my arse kicked by the computer on the first level, in easy.

Mzo

Yes, the Sega CD is awesome and easily the greatest add-on in video game history. It has so many great games. I always hated that it got lumped in with the 32X as one of Sega's "failures."

While I appreciate the sentiment and the Sega CD is indeed awesome, you can't say things like that in a world where the PCE CD exists.

The worst was hearing Retronauts shit on it at that panel a couple of years ago. Granted, Parish was absent from it but it broke my heart.

BosSin

While I appreciate the sentiment and the Sega CD is indeed awesome, you can't say things like that in a world where the PCE CD exists.

The worst was hearing Retronauts shit on it at that panel a couple of years ago. Granted, Parish was absent from it but it broke my heart.
I found out a while ago that the retronauts podcast consists of 50% nintendo loving and 50% talking out their ass. That's why I stopped listening

IrishNinja

eh, if discs rot, they rot. most times it's trickier finding the manual/case than the discs for me, and god knows i'll burn em in the meantime if i wanna play.

everything falls apart eventually brehs, make peace with it & enjoy the time you get!

fuck, as a retronauts fan this is the kinda thing makes me wish we had more voices out there

Khaz

eh, if discs rot, they rot. most times it's trickier finding the manual/case than the discs for me, and god knows i'll burn em in the meantime if i wanna play.

What he said. Data is forever protected thanks to the Internet, you will always be able to play the stuff, one way or another. Boxes and manuals are the real collectors items.

Khaz

I've never seen a battery leak in a cart yet. I've seen plenty of discs go belly up though not always to disc rot. It's very humid here in NZ.

I'll quote again , I didn't see the humidity bit..
A long time ago I used to live in a very humid area (on Welsh coast) and I kept a handful of CD-R in the car to play without fearing for the originals. Well, after a while I found out that quite a few literally rot, as in had spots of mould in between the layers of plastic. I have no idea how they got in there or what they fed on, but they were successful in killing my music. Don't keep your precious CDs in a damp area.

Teknoman

Well I will say Lunar 1 isnt as awesome as some make it out to be, but its a decent game still. I havent played 2 yet, so maybe that'll really grab me. Final Fight CD is awesome. Earthworm Jim CD (still want it even though i've got the genesis cart) is the definitive version I think. Shining Force CD is great. Robo Aleste and Android Assault look good.

And of course you've got stuff like Snatcher and Popful Mail. If CJ Iwakura and team ever finish the Shadowrun (JRPGish take on Shadowrun) translation, then that'll be another RPG to add.

Im sure there are other games i'm forgetting, and sure there are some worthwhile JRPGs that could get translated.

EDIT: The hell? Good lord that is lucky! I wonder if it was just listed under Sega Genesis? I have several bookmarks saved for different system categories+newly listed...but wow.

IrishNinja

man, Lunar 1 was fucking magical when i was searching through the then-barren wastelands of Sega-CD software for a good RPG! its fairly short, i mustve replayed it like nearly 5 times. the PSX version is great too but certain major plot changes happen.

i can see it not necessarily holding up as well though, but 2 is so fantastic i think it ages like fine wine. plus rebuying 1 on craigslist a year or two back ended up making me another friend...actually, i met my current roommate in college cause of the Lunar re-release, heh.

what i'm saying is Lunar brings people together~

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Are there any easily identifiable NTSC-U versions of Sonic 1 that include the tweaks made to the Japanese version (more parallax, water effects, spike bug fix, etc.)?

entremet

things i don't believe in:
1) dic disc rot
2) region enforcement
3) ethics of playing burned games from pre internet eras

oh man, i cant find mine but i swear Sega had some free ones if you called them, just like Phantasy Star 1. but youre right that it's essential! ill check my genesis guide when i get home, if it has any ill recommend that book.

one of my favorites, congrats! and so jelly, the copy i bought back lacks both that book and starmap so it's not fit for actual replaying yet, as those are so important.

PROTIP: i know its stupid expensive but the sooner you can save up for that better mineral scanner thing, the quicker the game opens up for you. honestly, youll make your investment back so many times over & that'll be the time to really outfit your ship and start dealing with those asshole Uhleks

jesus, there should only be a handful of those though: Snatcher, Popful, Keio's, Cobra etc. I know Lunar 1/2 sadly jumped up but many should still be in more reasonable territory no?

Yeah, those are the ones I'm interested in playing. Especially Snatcher. I remember Snatcher from before Kojima hit it big with MGS, but I only had a Genesis.

alf717

Man I suck at Lightening Force. I can manage to get to the stage 1 and 2 boss but get my butt kicked. So much stuff going on on screen.

Top Bottom