• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Mzo

Don't know how many of y'all care about The Completionist, but I figured that some of y'all might be interested in The Completionist's Top 10 Genesis games.

In the first set of clips, Secret Stars and that version of Altered Beast are SMS games.

Fucking LOL Sonic Spinball, I'm out!

I'm surprised he even knew about popular Genesis games.

edit: I came back to it. Bloodlines: "for a Genesis games, the sound effects aren't piercing to the ears." Highest praise. Respect for Rocket Knight, though.

Man, this Completionist channel is really ticking off as much as they can off the "Shitty Youtuber" checklist.

takes almost exactly a minute to get to the god damn content of the video
jacks other people's content for use in the video (likely without asking permission)
no attempts at humor land
social media plug in the middle of the list (how much more forced can you get)
"I haven't played this since I was a kid, but I remember it being really difficult" and then just moves on to the next game
dumbass parter who chimes in with useless comments
"oh, (game title)"

Anyway, seeing Spinball on the list made me realize something: Why didn't they just use the Sonic 2 engine for the game instead of the weird floaty engine they made for the game?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Anyway, seeing Spinball on the list made me realize something: Why didn't they just use the Sonic 2 engine for the game instead of the weird floaty engine they made for the game?

It was probably quicker to just make something new, seeing as no-one on the Spinball team had prior experience with the engine and everyone that did was knee-deep in Sonic 3 at the time (aside from Mark Cerny who had left by then, I think).

Spinball was conceived as a stopgap game after Sonic 3 was delayed, basically--they needed a Sonic game to put on the shelves that Xmas, so they knocked out Spinball in a hurry and that was that.

BTails

It was probably quicker to just make something new, seeing as no-one on the Spinball team had prior experience with the engine and everyone that did was knee-deep in Sonic 3 at the time (aside from Mark Cerny who had left by then, I think).

Spinball was conceived as a stopgap game after Sonic 3 was delayed, basically--they needed a Sonic game to put on the shelves that Xmas, so they knocked out Spinball in a hurry and that was that.

I hate how slow Spinball is; everytime I decide to play it, I usually turn it off in the second level, the framerate is so terrible that I get frustrated and move on to something else.

entremet

Spinball 30FPS was so weird at the time.

I actually had fun with it since I knew what I getting into and that it wasn't a mainline Sonic.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The bulk of Spinball's development was also completed in like 4 months or something.

It's a pretty solid game for how rushed it was.

ElTopo

Banned
Sonic Spinball is probably the hardest Sonic game (if we're counting any game with Sonic in it). Took me about a year on and off to complete it. The problem is just the randomness of it and the lack of continues or passwords.

For shits 'n giggles here's my top 20 list for Genesis. I was fortunate to have a NES, SNES and Genesis growing up but I don't like RPG's and prefer action games. And for the most part Genesis definitely had the better action games.

Gunstar Heroes
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Sonic and Knuckles 3
YuYu Hakusho Makyo Toitsusen
Splatterhouse 3
Comix Zone
Streets Of Rage 3
Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra: Hard Corps
Earthworm Jim
Elemental Master
Golden Axe
Rocket Knight Adventures
Adventures of Batman and Robin
Alien Soldier
The Haunting: Starring Polterguy
Shinobi 3
Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy’s Invention
Alien Storm
Ristar

Roughly half of these games I discovered much, much later while I was almost in my twenties.

Teknoman

Sonic Spinball is probably the hardest Sonic game (if we're counting any game with Sonic in it). Took me about a year on and off to complete it. The problem is just the randomness of it and the lack of continues or passwords.

For shits 'n giggles here's my top 20 list for Genesis. I was fortunate to have a NES, SNES and Genesis growing up but I don't like RPG's and prefer action games. And for the most part Genesis definitely had the better action games.

Gunstar Heroes
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Sonic and Knuckles 3
YuYu Hakusho Makyo Toitsusen
Splatterhouse 3
Comix Zone
Streets Of Rage 3
Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra: Hard Corps
Earthworm Jim
Elemental Master
Golden Axe
Rocket Knight Adventures
Adventures of Batman and Robin
Alien Soldier
The Haunting: Starring Polterguy
Shinobi 3
Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy’s Invention
Alien Storm
Ristar

Roughly half of these games I discovered much, much later while I was almost in my twenties.

Give Mega Turrican a shot.

Huggers

Just grabbed a pal copy of Demolition Man which is pretty rare, for an absolute bargain price. Really happy as I sold my first copy and always regretted it

entremet

The Completionist is more a SNES guy. His channel is decent.

I've been watching a lot of Game Sack of late. Someone put me on to it here. Famtastic channel.

IrishNinja

yeah, i may knock some opinions here & there/dave's execution once in a while but honestly, their production & knowledge are so many levels above most YT stuff that they really shine, especially on more obscure stuff like the X68000 ep. any system/genre/etc they touch, you're bound to learn about a game or two you didn't know about

and then weep when you look at ebay prices, 90% of the time

Foxix Von

Game sack is great, aside from the random skits lol, but the good faaaaar outweighs the rest.

Even then the skits have their own... sort of charm...?

Ehhhhhhhhh....

Still a great channel. Very glad that they're finally starting to gain some recognition around here.

Verendus

Banned
I remember going to a shop that sold used games as a kid, and seeing Sonic and Knuckles. I spent the next several weeks saving up money to buy the game. When I finally went back there, it was no longer available. It was a sad day.

Peagles

Bought a copy of Soleil from a local online auction site today. Cost me $55 NZD but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than eBay UK once I add overseas shipping. Looks like a local release too (AU/NZ copy) so kinda interested in that aspect of it too. Anyone know if I can just flick the switch to play in NTSC or is it one of those crummy PAL optimised games?

IrishNinja

not sure, but congrats Peagles! running through that one has been on my list for a bit, the time i've spent with it has been fantastic.

Lettuce

Someone needs to kickstart a production run of megadrive replacement game cases!

Got a few MD games over the last few weeks and the case have come in a variety of conditions, ever so slight creases on the plastic cover, broken cart tabs, and the one that pisses me off the most the hang tag missing...why would people rip these off there no way they would fall off themselves

Peagles

not sure, but congrats Peagles! running through that one has been on my list for a bit, the time i've spent with it has been fantastic.

Thanks! I don't really have the money at the moment but I couldn't pass it up. They don't get listed very often here and I think last time I got out bid at over $60 NZD. When it first popped up it had a $45 start but a couple of hours later I got an email to say they had added a buy now price. Usually this means somebody has requested it but that wasn't the case, either way I snapped it up.

If it's optimised I'll just use my Everdrive so no biggie. Can't find an answer so far but I'll keep looking or just wait and test it out.

Khaz

Someone needs to kickstart a production run of megadrive replacement game cases!

Got a few MD games over the last few weeks and the case have come in a variety of conditions, ever so slight creases on the plastic cover, broken cart tabs, and the one that pisses me off the most the hang tag missing...why would people rip these off there no way they would fall off themselves

I don't put my games on display hooks, ready to be bought.
Why would you keep it on, it's so ugly and can be annoying on a shelf.

Bar81

I don't put my games on display hooks, ready to be bought.
Why would you keep it on, it's so ugly and can be annoying on a shelf.

Takes up space and like you said pretty useless for home display. Having said that I'm still surprised at how many cases have the hang tab cut off - it just doesn't strike me as something that really needs "fixing". Need those hang tabs if you're a collector though lol (yes, I'm one of those).

arit

All hail superior european 2nd gen cases :D

CYptYBg.png

Mzo

Most of my JP Mega Drive games don't have hangtags by design. And they're official Sega.

I don't mind Mega Drive games not having hang tabs, and I don't mind US games that have hang tabs. I mind them getting bit off or whatever by people leaving some uneven, ragged remains behind.

I cut all hang tabs off.

This reminds me, I have a few that still need trimming, like Shining Force and Lightening Force that I received recently.

Mzo

The controls have always been loose in Battletoads games. Also, they give you much more lives in the Genesis version.

I'm not speaking in generalities but comparing it directly to the NES game, where they feel better. The controls in the Genesis version feel looser than in the NES version.

Holding down+a+b and pressing start in the NES game gives you 5 lives, too.

The Genesis game does this weird thing at the Wookie Hole, too, where it stops scrolling while you're beating on a raven carcass basically guaranteeing every extra life juggle.

I also remember that some flies were basically inedible because they messed something up about their patterns. I'd have to play them back to back for more details, but there are definitely a lot of changes and most were bad.

ElFly

I don't care about the hang tabs either way, but the Genesis cuadriculated black boxes are the greatest videogame packaging of all time.

At least for a consistent style of packaging.

I did it! I beat ghouls n ghosts on normal. I beat Loki and saved the princess

Woop woop!

Always thought Beelzebub was the real final boss. He is so fucking crazy hard.

entremet

Is a Game Gear worth getting? I know the battery life is horrendous. Are there any decent games for it?

I remember reading that it's basically modular SMS hardware.

Top Bottom