• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Rydeen

It's impossible to post a top 5 must haves. You need to up it to 10.
Agreed. looking at your list I totally forgot about MUSHA and Mega Turrican, and I was torn about not including Alien Soldier, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Shadow Dancer and Comix Zone. So yeah, top 5 is pretty much impossible for the Genesis lol.

Soltype

Agreed. looking at your list I totally forgot about MUSHA and Mega Turrican, and I was torn about not including Alien Soldier, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Shadow Dancer and Comix Zone. So yeah, top 5 is pretty much impossible for the Genesis lol.

I usually leave out Alien Soldier because it's so expensive, but it's my favorite game on the system.

IrishNinja

You can get the FM Powerbase converter, so you get FM on the Mega Drive.

Then you only lose SG1000 compatibility.

by the way, guy who made the FM powerbase is on sega-16 saying neither his nor the OG sega ones work through the 32X, as that (for whatever reason) kills SMS playthrough. startin to think ill just hook the 32X up from time to time, SMS library too skrong to sleep on

Since nobody's explicitly stated this, the reason you can't use a Power Base Converter or play SMS ROMs on a flash cart through the 32X is because the pins that the PBC uses to signal to the Genesis "hey, I need you to run in SMS backwards compatibilty mode, bro" aren't connected to anything on the 32X. The required connection is physically not there.

v1perz53

While not a straight list of the "best" games on the system, racketboy's "games that defined" series is a pretty good starting point for Genesis games. It hits all the major players that I think many people associate with the system.

Here's a link if you want to check it out:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/best-games-that-defined-sega-genesis-megadrive

Sadly, my parents didn't really like me playing video games that much as a kid, so my Genesis experience was mostly defined by the games contained on the 6-pack hah. Though those are pretty awesome in their own rights, quite an epic collection to start with. Also might be why I prefer Streets of Rage 1 to 2, just my own nostalgia goggles.

IrishNinja

racketboy lists are thorough

Since nobody's explicitly stated this, the reason you can't use a Power Base Converter or play SMS ROMs on a flash cart through the 32X is because the pins that the PBC uses to signal to the Genesis "hey, I need you to run in SMS backwards compatibilty mode, bro" aren't connected to anything on the 32X. The required connection is physically not there.

ah, figured it was something like this...appreciate the clarification though

Khaz

Castle of Illusion is the better game. World of Illusion is garbage.

Nah, it's a fun game. It's best in coop with someone who don't know much about videogames like a young kid or a girlfriend. Not very challenging on your own though, I'll give you that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Castle of Illusion is literally one of my earliest gaming memories. But I tried World of Illusion and was turned off on it like, instantly.

Noahd41

Neo Member
So I am working on building up my Genesis cart collection. I just bought Streets of Rage 2 (I never played it....I know, I know) but other than that, what are the Top 5 Genesis "must have" games?

I won't order mine but I'll give you a few that I've got in my collection. Shining Force II, Truxton, X-Men 2: Clone Wars, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Shinobi (any, but preferrably 3), Gunstar Heroes and Contra: Hard Corps.

Mzo

I usually leave out Alien Soldier because it's so expensive, but it's my favorite game on the system.

I have a repro with a really nice case and b/w manual that I no longer need since I waited until a seller accepted my "lowball" offer on eBay on the real thing. Anyone here that just wants to play the game is welcome to PM me and offer whatever they think it's worth; I am pretty easy to deal with.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I am working on building up my Genesis cart collection. I just bought Streets of Rage 2 (I never played it....I know, I know) but other than that, what are the Top 5 Genesis "must have" games?

Just 5? :( I really can't, sorry. Gonna have to go with 10 like someone else said (even that is hard):

1) Shining Force II
2) Phantasy Star IV
3) Shinobi III
4) Beyond Oasis
5) Ristar
6) Gunstar Heroes
7) Castlevania: Bloodlines
8) Vectorman
9) Sonic 3 + Knuckles
10) Wonder Boy in Monster World (aka Wonder Boy 5 aka Monster World 3)

Those are my favourite Genny games anyway. And that's leaving out Alien Soldier, Landstalker, Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone, Contra: Hard Corps, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Sonic 2, Castle of Illusion, Rocket Knight Adventures, Alisia Dragoon, James Pond 2, Thunder Force III and IV, and many more...

Gunstar Heroes has fantastic bosses and a really well-made player character, but I don't think that really comes together in a way that makes it a truly great game in the end (largely because the stage design is really lacking). I still think it's really good but it doesn't quite compare to Alien Soldier if we're comparing it to other Treasure games.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You can tell who games alone when Gunstar comes up in the discussion.

I usually prefer Alien Soldier or Hard Corps when i'm in Serious Business shooter mode myself, but Gunstar is a strong contender for top 5 co-op game across my whole collection. It never fails to impress.

I sort of feel the same way about World of Illusion. Not the most remarkable platformer in the Genesis library, but the way the stage layouts change so much in 2P mode and force you to use a variety of co-op techniques to clear them makes it more than worth a look.

Tain

It's true, I'm usually playing old 2D action games alone unless it's a fighting game or, like, Windjammers. Or belt scrollers.

That said, I have played Gunstar co-op and it's one of the better experiences I've had in co-op with the genre fwiw.

Allow me to brag about a find I made a few years ago. I was going through my old Photobucket pictures and found this one...

This was a Craigslist find here in Houston. I responded to an ad placed by a woman who said the games were her boyfriend's/husband's. On the phone, she said they were mostly "wizard games." My interest was peaked. Anyway, I got to the house and (bad idea, I know) and the trash hillbilly husband says there were no games for sale and he didn't know about any Craigslist ad. I called the number I responded to originally right in front of him and the lady was like "OH, YES THEY ARE!!" He was really wishy-washy about selling them. I had to flash the $50 in his face and he let me in to look at them. There was a Sega Genesis/Sega CD in the box and these games piled on top:

DSC_0192-sizedjpg.jpg~original

DSC_0191-sizedjpg.jpg~original

Stupid and dangerous, I know, but I was single dumb and addicted to the hunt at the time.

Peltz

I have a repro with a really nice case and b/w manual that I no longer need since I waited until a seller accepted my "lowball" offer on eBay on the real thing. Anyone here that just wants to play the game is welcome to PM me and offer whatever they think it's worth; I am pretty easy to deal with.

Sending you a PM now.

Edit: PM sent.

graffix13

The best part about Gunstar Heroes is how Konami saw it, went "alright Treasure, I see you, I see you" and then made the illest fucking run and gun of all time, Contra Hard Corps.

I played Contra on NES and then the Contra game on SNES back in the day. I never knew Genesis had a Contra game. So I just checked out Hard Corps gameplay on youtube.

You can play as a wolfman with a gatling gun grafted on your arm? Yes, please.

I must have this game.

Peltz

Gunstar ain't even a top 5 Treasure game for me.

Nice tech demo tho.

Certain weapon combos are over powered and game-breaking. But the music is pretty dope and there were some cool concepts in the game too.

For example, the board game portion and the shmup portion were examples of true ingenuity. The level with the cart and the transforming boss is also a highlight for me.

IrishNinja

Nice tech demo tho.

ibfQo0f13XIDqB.gif

Dat Crusader of Centy doe.

:phew: almost too minty

The best part about Gunstar Heroes is how Konami saw it, went "alright Treasure, I see you, I see you" and then made the illest fucking run and gun of all time, Contra Hard Corps.

Nobuya Nakazato doing big things in the early to mid 90s

preach

Soltype

I ended up buying a JPN copy around 5 years ago for about 100 dollars.

Yeah Konami really outdid themselves with Hard Corps, the game is pretty much perfect.

I played Contra on NES and then the Contra game on SNES back in the day. I never knew Genesis had a Contra game. So I just checked out Hard Corps gameplay on youtube.

I must have this game.

The Genesis has the best Contra game, man!

Timu

I must have this game.
The wolfman is the hardest character to use, but with skill can be deadly.

lazygecko

Hardcorps is another one of those games that just got swept into obscurity by the widespread dismissal of the Genesis in mainstream retro culture. I remember reading a huge retrospective on the Contra series in a big gaming magazine back when Shattered Soldier was new. The majority of that multi-page article was spent fawning over Contra 3 while Hardcorps was reduced to a mere footnote. It seems that in later years people have started to wise up to just how good Hardcorps is though.

Timu

I hate his slide but his charge beam (weapon D?) is ridiculous if you can use it correctly.
Yes, I believe that's the one.

Hardcorps is another one of those games that just got swept into obscurity by the widespread dismissal of the Genesis in mainstream retro culture. I remember reading a huge retrospective on the Contra series in a big gaming magazine back when Shattered Soldier was new. The majority of that multi-page article was spent fawning over Contra 3 while Hardcorps was reduced to a mere footnote. It seems that in later years people have started to wise up to just how good Hardcorps is though.
Hard Corps>Contra 3...one reason is that it doesn't have the shitty top down stages.

Peltz

I remember S&K being the first Genesis game that had a cardboard box. I was pretty disappointed by the sudden change in packaging.

By the way, it was very hard to locate S&K back then if you didn't pick it up at launch. I asked my parents to grab it for my birthday about year after its release and we drove all over the NY area looking for it. It took us a few weeks (or months) to find it.

Looking back, I was lucky to have parents that cared so much. Games were much harder to track down in pre-internet days.

IrishNinja

I remember S&K being the first Genesis game that had a cardboard box. I was pretty disappointed by the sudden change in packaging.

By the way, it was very hard to locate S&K back then if you didn't pick it up at launch. I asked my parents to grab it for my birthday about year after its release and we drove all over the NY area looking for it. It took us a few weeks (or months) to find it.

Looking back, I was lucky to have parents that cared so much. Games were much harder to track down in pre-internet days.

ahh see i always forget that, PS IV was one of my first cardboard box games but S&K did predate that...and i totally had it at launch, didn't know it was tricky to find for a bit though!

The S&K I picked up recently was fairly okay on the cardboard box exterior, if a little bent. The inside cardboard that held the cartridge on the other hand was a nasty ripped up affair. I fucking hate cardboard boxes for games.

Nice tech demo tho.

laughter.gif

I'd give Alien Soldier and possibly Sin And Punishment at best. I'm assuming for you Bangai-O and Guardian Heroes too, but after that, i have no idea.

If you really wanna get my motor running, tell me you prefer Light Crusader over it. I'll never understand how Treasure made that game. Probably my biggest letdown of any Sega Genesis game.

Teknoman

Allow me to brag about a find I made a few years ago. I was going through my old Photobucket pictures and found this one...

This was a Craigslist find here in Houston.

Why didnt I use Craigslist then? WHY?!

Cant complain now of course, but i'd have been in heaven at that find.

D.Lo

laughter.gif

I'd give Alien Soldier and possibly Sin And Punishment at best. I'm assuming for you Bangai-O and Guardian Heroes too, but after that, i have no idea.

If you really wanna get my motor running, tell me you prefer Light Crusader over it. I'll never understand how Treasure made that game. Probably my biggest letdown of any Sega Genesis game.
Silvergun
Gradius V
Mischief Makers
Astro Boy
Bangai-O DC
Alien Soldier
Sin and Punishment

My first ever console.. Games were super expensive back then.. My main motivation in elementary school - my dad will buy me a game after each major exam..

These are all my games and I seriously loved all of them
- Shining Force 2
- Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons
- Crusader of Centy
- Streets of Rage 1 - 3
- Wonderboy in Monster Land
- Mini Toons Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
- Mini Toons Adventures: ACME All Stars
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
- Altered Beasts
- Ghosts 'n Goblins
- TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
- Golden Axe

Silvergun
Gradius V
Mischief Makers
Astro Boy

Bangai-O DC
Alien Soldier
Sin and Punishment

I mean, yeah, i can't argue with those.Astro Boy is honestly, secretly my favorite Treasure game outside of Gunstar. They are all so good though.

Anyways, back on Genesis, i'm finally close to done with Landstalker. I really wish this game hadn't been isometric, i feel i would have loved it so much more if it hadn't been.

XNarte

I mean, yeah, i can't argue with those.Astro Boy is honestly, secretly my favorite Treasure game outside of Gunstar. They are all so good though.

Anyways, back on Genesis, i'm finally close to done with Landstalker. I really wish this game hadn't been isometric, i feel i would have loved it so much more if it hadn't been.

Hey buddddddy. ;)

Astor Boy Omega Factor is probably both my favorite Treasure game and Game Boy Advance game. So good.

I gave up on Landstalker about halfway about 2 years ago because the jumping puzzles were too much of a pain in isometric view. Funny though, I didn't have as much of an issue with Dark Savior on the Saturn which also had the same perspective.

Khaz

I gave up on Landstalker about halfway about 2 years ago because the jumping puzzles were too much of a pain in isometric view. Funny though, I didn't have as much of an issue with Dark Savior on the Saturn which also had the same perspective.

Dark Savior allowed to turn the camera a bit, that helped immensely to understand if two platforms were aligned.

WITHE1982

Fantastic thread guys. Just subbed and spent the last hour or so reading the OP and a few pages to try and catch up.

First many thanks to the OP for some excellent advice. I've just spent the last couple of weeks taking my first tentative steps back into retro gaming. I've been threatening to start a collection for a few years now and thought now was as good a time as any.

I managed to pick up:

• Mega Drive 1 (the newer version not the HD one but I am planning on picking one up when I can) came with 3 controllers
  • Sony CRT TV for pennies
  • RGB Scart
  • SMS converter
Games boxed:
Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap (MS)
Flashback
Toejam & earl
Desert Strike
Cosmic Spacehead
Italia 90
Decap Attack

Games Unboxed:
Road Rash
World Of Illusion
Super Kick Off
Mega Games 6

I live just off a street full of 2nd hand shops (Thrift stores) but I'm finding it difficult to pick up any bargains as the majority have deals set up with collecters/dealers who grab every retro piece going. I've been having to rely on ebay/amazon and retrogames.co.uk to buy games so if any of you know of anywhere I should be looking in the UK that would be much appreciated.

Also, after I grab all the games from my childhood I'm open to suggestions on the top games I should be looking for. I know Gunstar Heroes (already on my wanted list) and Shinobi 3 get a lot of love on here but are there any other I shouldn't miss out on?

Top Bottom