• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

ElTopo

Banned
Light Crusader sucked hard. Easily the worst Treasure game on the system. Possibly the worst Treasure game.

All of Fang's weapons are ridiculous. I think he's easily the most powerful character.

I have to disagree. I thought Fang from Hard Corps was the worst character because he has two weapons that greatly limit his movement. And I did some testing and they don't seem to do that much damage in comparison to everyone else. Fang certainly looks cool and he easily has the best upgraded machine gun weapon. But I wouldn't say he's the most powerful.

Mzo

Light Crusader sucked hard. Easily the worst Treasure game on the system. Possibly the worst Treasure game.

There are the Treasure "tech demos" like Stretch Panic and Tiny Toons: Scary Dreams which are barely games at all (and are also not very good tbh.)

Vark

So I had been combing through my closet of genesis stuff (unfortunately mostly to part with.) But it's had the effect (of course) of assembling the voltron monstrosity and playing through a few things. (though the sega cd isn't attached right now because my temp shelf is uh... precarious).

genesis1.jpg

I've been using my genesis 2 for years because I like the way it matches the sega cd and the 32x but holy hell is the sound better on the 1 (Which was coincidentally my sisters). I was more of a PC gamer at the time but i'd rent Genesis games across the street and have to play them in her room when she was out being all sportsball-ey and non-vitamin D deficient.

Anyway. I never did get Hanzou in my squad so I'm revising Shining Force.

shining_force1.jpg

It kind of sucks that the only real drive I have to bring all of this stuff out of the closet anymore is when I'm thinking of getting rid of it. There's a lot of good memories over the 20 years.

XNarte

There are the Treasure "tech demos" like Stretch Panic and Tiny Toons: Scary Dreams which are barely games at all (and are also not very good tbh.)

I just looked up this game and it's giving me Astro Boy Omega Factor vibes, so I might actually like this one! It's on the radar now. It obviously looks painfully simple in terms of level design, but the bones of what would become Omega Factor are in there, and that's cool.

And to try and keep on topic, I wonder how it compares with my current favorite Tiny Toons game, Buster's Hidden Treasure for the Genesis. (It won't be better)

Mzo

I just looked up this game and it's giving me Astro Boy Omega Factor vibes, so I might actually like this one! It's on the radar now. It obviously looks painfully simple in terms of level design, but the bones of what would become Omega Factor are in there, and that's cool.

That's exactly what it is.

Vark

"Voltron monstrosity" is a good description of the Genesis with all of the add-ons.

Even though it doesn't match I kind of like the Genesis 1 now because it forces you to use an extra adapter cable on the 32x AND the extra plastic support on the Sega CD 2 so that's two extra pieces of complexity on an already needlessly complex system. Oh, and the audio out on the front so it's just a mess at that point.

And to try and keep on topic, I wonder how it compares with my current favorite Tiny Toons game, Buster's Hidden Treasure for the Genesis. (It won't be better)

Not only was that game great, the Acme All-Stars game was great for a goofy sports game. Soccer and Basketball, plus minigames, with plenty of different characters and special moves? Hell yeah. That game is super underrated.

I actually kind of like Light Crusader.

I mean, yeah, we totally should've gotten Alien Soldier instead, and it's certainly not one of Treasure's finest games ever, but it's not really a bad game. Quite perfunctory and fun in its own right.

I actually kind of like Light Crusader.

I mean, yeah, we totally should've gotten Alien Soldier instead, and it's certainly not one of Treasure's finest games ever, but it's not really a bad game. Quite perfunctory and fun in its own right.

We did get Alien Soldier tho. Shoutouts to digital distribution.
93ZvKJ5.gif

we need to make up our minds for the good of humanity

is fang easy mode or hard mode

team easy over here

although brownie is pretty much super weenie hut jr mode

ElTopo

Banned
I'd say Fang is hard mode. I'm too tired right now but I'll try to do a Fang run and see if I can survive.

Without a doubt Brownie is easy mode. Tiny hitbox (he doesn't even have to crouch certain attacks) with a double jump. His weapons aren't as good but he's definitely easy mode.

It saddens me that Light Crusaders hate. It wasn't the best treasure game, but the puzzles are quite fun and visually it has that Treasure's edge.

Personally I prefer Light Crusader to Dynamite Headdy anyday

BTW, my top Treasure games are:

Alien Soldier
Sin & Punishment
Ikaruga
Gunstar Heroes
Astro Boy

It's just sad to see Treasure today, tied to Capcom third tier games

Tain

My top Treasure games are probably Ikaruga, Alien Soldier, Radiant Silvergun, Gradius V, and the S&P games. Not quite sure what order, yet, but I'm betting Ikaruga and Alien Soldier stay on the top.

Gunstar Heroes and Guardian Heroes are okay. Haven't put much time into Dynamite Headdy or Silhouette Mirage, but they seem cool. I don't like Astro Boy. I haven't played or have only barely touched the rest.

ElTopo

Banned
My top 5 Treasure:

Gunstar Heroes
Alien Soldier
Ikaruga
Sin & Punishment (have yet to play the sequel)
Guardian Heroes

Edit: and I stand corrected. Fang in Hard Corps does A SHITTON more damage. He can easily kill bosses twice as fast when compared to everyone else. I still think his charge shot isn't very good except for specific situations (and it sucks that in the first level you get it as you have to deal with endless waves of enemies). But overall all of his weapons do tons of damage. I'd still say Brownie is easy mode because of his tiny hitbox and his ability to double jump.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ok, i really wanna know why. I mean, maybe itll get me interested enough to try and finish Light Crusader, because whaaaaaaaa

I don't think Light Crusader is amazing; I just think Astro Boy is garbage. I own literally every game by Treasure except their 3DS output and I'd put this one near the bottom of the entire list. Their "tech demos" generally at least don't wear out their welcome as quickly.

1) The leveling system hurts it more than almost anything else. All the powers and abilities are fun at a core level, but several of them are way too weak to be effective in the late-game unless you focus on grinding just one or two attributes, which makes the combat super monotonous.

2) The level design is a joke. You're repeatedly and constantly forced to stop in your tracks and clear out all of the inconsequential bottom-tier enemies before you can make further progress, instead of just being allowed to keep progressing through the level like almost any reasonable sidescroller would permit. Combine this with the above and the entire game just becomes an insufferable chore.

EDIT: I also want to reiterate that I've lectured people in the past to not use hyperbole when trashing good games just because they're not as good as their best peers. This isn't one of those cases. I think this game is genuinely awful.

My absolute favorite Treasure game has to be Sin and Punishment 2. It's pretty much all gold from start to finish. Maybe it's a little overlong for an arcade-style game but I can't blame them for throwing every idea they had into it, really. I'd probably put Alien Soldier right after that.

CptSlow

Neo Member
I've been playing Rocket Knight Adventures recently and I'm not sure I like it that much. It's ok I suppose but something about the physics just seems off for whatever reason. Plus I dislike whenever games put the checkpoints too far before the boss fights which this seems to do occasionally. It's weird, I feel like I'm supposed to love this game but I just don't. Hope that's OK, Internet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've been playing Rocket Knight Adventures recently and I'm not sure I like it that much. It's ok I suppose but something about the physics just seems off for whatever reason. Plus I dislike whenever games put the checkpoints too far before the boss fights which this seems to do occasionally. It's weird, I feel like I'm supposed to love this game but I just don't. Hope that's OK, Internet.

It's not. >=(

CptSlow

Neo Member
It's not. >=(

Sorry!

Disliking RKA is excusable. Disliking RKA but preferring any of the sequels is not.

Fair enough. I thought about it some more and another part of the problem is that the game is kinda unfair in some parts, like silly one-hit deaths. Contra Hard Corps for instance never feels unfair, it's just hard. Still, I haven't given up quite yet and I would love to beat it before putting it down. I suppose you have to play on Hard to get the best ending?

lazygecko

The animations in RKA feel kinda weird to me. Like the way the walking animation sways about makes it feel as though the frame offsets aren't properly aligned or something. It's hard to describe. Castlevania Bloodlines has this problem as well sometimes.

CptSlow

Neo Member
Hey, I won't say anything bad about Gunstar Heroes. That game is awesome!

Protip for people who want Gunstar Heroes without paying quite so much for it: get the Classics Collection instead! Gunstar Heroes, Flicky, Alex Kidd and Altered Beast on one cart costing less than half of what Gunstar Heroes costs by itself.

Great deal in my book unless you absolutely have to have the standalone release. In that case just cough up the money, I suppose.

meanspartan

So the small podcast I do with a friend, "Multiple Lives", is gonna have an interview with Blake J Harris, author of the Console Wars book that came out last year that is supposedly going to be made into a movie (though no idea on the status of that).

I literally just took a shot in the dark messaging on Facebook and he said he was down to be interviewed, so that's cool.

Anyway, I'm here to get your guys' suggestions on some questions to ask him. Give me some ideas!

I guess I'll also post this in the SNES thread.

IrishNinja

on page 124, we sacrifice golden calves

so mad at myself; i had my genesis & mega ED on just to test profiles/settings on my XRGB last night, totally forgot & left it on till this afternoon. i was all worried at it being warm till i remembered how many nights i left my old one running so i'd not lose my game, man shit was built to last when the parts were simpler haha

v1perz53

on page 124, we sacrifice golden calves

so mad at myself; i had my genesis & mega ED on just to test profiles/settings on my XRGB last night, totally forgot & left it on till this afternoon. i was all worried at it being warm till i remembered how many nights i left my old one running so i'd not lose my game, man shit was built to last when the parts were simpler haha

Yea that's one thing I miss about old consoles. Hell, even as far as my PS1 I remember leaving on for like two weeks cause I didn't have a memory card and wanted to beat Crash Bandicoot 3.

Makes sense though, consoles haven't really changed in size much, but the difference in what they can do now vs then is staggering, so the heat generation went up to match. Thats why all those old consoles didn't even need a fan in the case.

Rydeen

Hey, I won't say anything bad about Gunstar Heroes. That game is awesome!

Protip for people who want Gunstar Heroes without paying quite so much for it: get the Classics Collection instead! Gunstar Heroes, Flicky, Alex Kidd and Altered Beast on one cart costing less than half of what Gunstar Heroes costs by itself.

Great deal in my book unless you absolutely have to have the standalone release. In that case just cough up the money, I suppose.
PAL / Euro-only though, NTSC is out of luck and has to bite the bullet.

Noahd41

Neo Member
I've got doubles of Shinobi III loose and Fire Shark CIB, does anyone want to trade?

I wouldn't mind Streets of Rage 2 or Phantasy Star III CIB or any other shooters.

I love Gunstar Super Heroes and think it's sorely underrated, but I still think Gunstar Heroes was the better game.

Super Heroes has the better space shmup segment, at least.

ElTopo

Banned
I prefer the original over Gunstar Super Heroes. The shmup levels suck and it's just not quite as good as the original. It's worth checking out but it doesn't topple the original.

Top Bottom