• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

BTails

Hmm, not sure what to vote for yet... I did, however, get some time to try out Bio-Hazard Battle today:

s4omV6w.jpg

Damn, I forgot how bad I am at shooters! Like, REAL bad. And no, it wasn't the Jack Daniels (Though Jack and Cherry Coke, yum yum yum, happy Canada day drinkie!)!

Stage 2 gave me a LOT of trouble until I switched to the Blue Weapon, which made things easier. Stage 1 and 3 were cakewalks. Stage 4 I played a few times, before getting frustrated.

Is there any good way to get through the crystals that shoot out of the ceiling and ground of Stage 4? I lose at least 3 lives every time at that section!

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
So I've decided to play the classic Phantasy Star games. I'm not really an RPG guy, the only games in the genre I've put serious time in was FFT and VC1.

Starting with the first game. Any tips before I dive in?

IrishNinja

havnet spent much time with biohazard battle, nice pick!

IrishNinja-level misunderstanding

oh say word

And here's how the ol' Genesis collection is looking these days (with special appearance by my paltry Game Boy collection).

some greats, nice shelf too man!

You'd think with all the free disposable income you could buy yourself a phone with a camera released in the last five years.

so were you a cunt before the neogeo forums or nah b

Galdelico

Assuming you have the right codes to boot respective games I believe that should be fine based on what I've read.
Thanks duder. I forgot to mention I'd be using the Game Genie mainly as a JP-to-US adapter - to run Genesis carts on my Japanese console - rather than hacking/cheating with my actual games.

Played some Bio-Hazard Battle earlier. I love the aesthetics and forgot how creepy and unsettling the soundtrack was. Graphically it's really impressive too, with lots of multi-segmented enemies and nicely animated explosions. I could only make it to stage 4 legitimately during the session. I picked ray looking bioship (same as the one from the title screen) and cycled between red (homing) and blue (power) pickups mostly as that seemed to work best for me. Really fun game and I'll try for the 1CC by August.

thomasos

The problem with my previous collection pic wasn't my phone so much as the fact that I took the photo at night. These should be better.

LFnIfUh.jpg

JGKpKLy.jpg

Dat Alien Soldier, thomasos... :Q

And, considering it's not cheap regardless its version, can I ask you why Streets of Rage 3, instead of the uncensored/generally superior Bare Knuckle III?

Well, I already had the US versions of the first two games, and I'm just weirdly reluctant to pick up import versions of games that were released in the US.

Played some Biohazard Battle, and you can add me to the club of people who really suck at shooters. It's fun, though!

Conezays

The problem with my previous collection pic wasn't my phone so much as the fact that I took the photo at night. These should be better.

Well, I already had the US versions of the first two games, and I'm just weirdly reluctant to pick up import versions of games that were released in the US.

Played some Biohazard Battle, and you can add me to the club of people who really suck at shooters. It's fun, though!

Very nice collection! Looks like your copy of Sonic is signed too?

LFnIfUh.jpg

JGKpKLy.jpg

i see Thunder force II and IV, where's III? is it on another shelf?

Teknoman

So I've decided to play the classic Phantasy Star games. I'm not really an RPG guy, the only games in the genre I've put serious time in was FFT and VC1.

Starting with the first game. Any tips before I dive in?

Like as in the Master System game?

Are you an expert on japanese culture by any chance?

Nice! I need to play this game finally. Go Treasure!

The moon stage bgm is great.

Galdelico

Totally understand, and in a way it's the same with me, as always I tend to go for the Japanese version first, if it exists and it's playable (I'm not much of an RPG/adventure games player, so I'm fine 99% of the times). Congrats again, great collection!

Finally got my Sega stuff unpacked, feels good. This shelving is sooooo much better than what I had. Now I can pick up Bio Hazard Battle.
Wow, you all seem to have MASSIVE collections, guys. I'm jealous. :D

Phediuk

Hi guys, I put together a compilation of 100 Genesis music tracks and thought I'd share. I made a similar list last November, and as with that one, I used two criteria to pick tracks

1. One track per composer.
2. One track per series/franchise.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4PRwmwbvE

Tracklist (timestamps included in video):

1. Addams Family Values – Credits – Keith Tinman, arr. Peter Hennig
2. Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer – Stage 1 -- Cube, Yoshiaki Kubotera, Masanori Hikichi, Isao Mizuguchi, Noriyuki Iwadare
3. Altered Beast – Altered Beast -- Tohru Nakabayashi, arr. Kazuhiko Nagai
4. Arrow Flash – Stage 5-1 – Hanauri-musume
5. B.O.B. – Non-tech stage theme 1 -- Michael Bartlow, arr. Alex Rudis
6. Barver Battle Saga: Tai Kong Zhan Shi Mo Fa Zhan Shi – Battle -- Yishen Liao
7. Battle Golfer Yui – Finale -- K. Nakayama, Kentakun.yada, Kei Maruyama, Masayuki Nagao
8. Battlemaster – Main gameplay theme -- Nick Pelling
9. Bill Walsh College Football 95 – Title screen -- Joel Simmons, Jim Simmons
10. Body Count – Stage 2 -- Steve Collett
11. Bubba ‘n Stix – Spaceport -- Martin Iveson, arr. Nathan McCree
12. Coach K College Basketball – Title screen -- Jeff van Dyck, Michael J. Sokyrka
13. Columns 3 – Column Dive -- Morihiko Akiyama
14. Contra: Hard Corps – Last Springsteen -- Hiroshi Kobayashi, Akira Souji, Kenji Miyaoka, Michiru Yamane, Akira Yamaoka, Hirofumi Taniguchi
15. Cool Spot – Bonus stage -- Tommy Tallarico
16. Cutie Suzuki no Ringside Angel – New Face, White Snow -- Akihiko Mori
17. David Crane’s Amazing Tennis – Intro -- Mark van Hecke
18. Davis Cup World Tour – Title screen -- Michel Winogradoff
19. Daze Before Christmas – Stage theme 3 -- Kim M. Jensen, Geir Tjelta
20. Deadly Moves – Russia – Hideki Suzuki
21. Decap Attack – Chase theme -- Fumito Tamayana
22. Devilish – Prairie – Hitoshi Sakimoto
23. Divine Sealing – Introduction – unknown composer (Studio Fazzy)
24. Dragon’s Fury – Herzog Zwei: A Breach of Contract -- Naosuke Arai, Tomomo Otani, arr. Toshiharu Yamanishi, Takeshi Yoshida, Naosuke Arai
25. Dune: The Battle for Arrakis – Command Station -- Paul S. Mudra, Frank Klepachi, Dwight Kenichi Okahara
26. Eliminate Down – Round 2-1 -- Tatsuya Matsumoto
27. Exile – Baccus Song – Shinobu Ogawa, Tenpei Satou, Hiroaki Kai, Hiroto Ohtsubo, Minoru Yuasa, Masayasu Yamamoto
28. Exo-Squad – Stage 7 -- Zsolt Dvornik
29. The Faery Tale Adventure – Attack -- David Joiner
30. Fantastic Dizzy – Puzzle -- Matthew Simmonds
31. Fatal Fury 2 – Italy – Toshio Shimizu, Yoko Osaka, Yoshihiko Kitamura, YLF.Communicate, Paciorek, Masahiko Hataya, arr. Kazuyuki Oikawa, Koujirou Mikusa
32. Fatal Labyrinth – Credits -- E. Fugu
33. Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge – Menu 2 – Dandy, Hirotoshi Moriya
34. Gadget Twins – The Crystal Lake – Barry Leitch, Ian Howe
35. Gain Ground – Genesis ~Causing~ (Brave Men’s Themes) -- You Takada, Katsuhiro Hayashi, arr. Szk
36. Generations Lost – Main theme -- Josh Gabriel
37. Golden Axe 3 – The Vast Field -- Naofumi Hataya, Tatsuyuki Maeda, Haruyo Oguro, Tomonori Sawada
38. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York – Dark Streets -- David Delia, Paul Gadbois
39. Honou no Toukyuuji Dodge Danpei – Russia – Izuho Namata
40. Instruments of Chaos starring Young Indiana Jones – Egypt -- Rolf Weber, Clifford Falls
41. James Pond 3: Operation Starfish – Enclosed Skulduggery -- Richard Joseph
42. Jewel Master – Jewel Master -- Motoaki Takenouchi
43. Jim Power: The Arcade Game – Mutant Forest -- Chris Huelsbeck
44. John Madden Football – Title screen -- Rob Hubbard
45. Junction – Ocean – Shaka
46. Jungle Strike – Campaign #3 ending -- Brian Schmidt
47. Kawasaki Superbikes – Title screen – Mike Ash
48. Madou Monogatari – Floors 1-10 – Toshiaki Sakoda, Masanobu Tsukamoto, arr. Tsuyoshi Matsushima, Nobuaki Yamasaki, Tatayuki Hirono
49. Mamono Hunter Youko: Dai-7 no Keishou – Flower Field – Keiichi Yamamoto, Kayoko Maeda, Atsuhiro Motoyama
50. Marble Madness (Tengen) – Practice -- Hal Canon, Brad Fuller, arr. Kenji Yokoyama
51. Ma Qiao E Mo Ta: Devilish Mahjong Tower – Track 1 -- composer unknown
52. Marsupilami – The Alps, stage 3 -- Matthew Owens
53. Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein – Arctic ice floes -- Ronnie Shahmoon, Shahid Ahmad
54. Mega Bomberman – Slammin’ Sea -- Jun Chikuma, Hajime Ohara, Takashi Morio
55. Mega SWIV – Stage 5 -- David Whittaker, arr. Ken Murfitt, Charles Robson
56. Mercs – Arcade mission 2 -- Manami Matsumae, arr. Yoshiaki Kishima
57. Metal Fangs – Race BGM 3 -- Hiroshi Kawaguchi
58. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie – Go Go Power Rangers – Ron Wasserman, arr. Hikoshi Hashimoto
59. Mr. Nutz 2 – Water -- Rudolf Stember
60. Mystical Fighter – Boss -- Kaneda
61. Nobunaga no Yabou: Bushou Fuuunroku (aka Lord of Darkness) – Ashikaga’s theme -- Yoko Kanno, arr. unknown
62. Olympic Summer Games: Atlanta 1996 – Title screen – Mike Ortiz
63. The Ooze – Plague Factory -- Howard Drossin
64. Pete Sampras Tennis ’96 – Title screen -- Tim Bartlett
65. Pier Solar and the Great Architects – Major boss -- Zable Fahr, Tulio Adriano Goncalves, Tiido Priimagi
66. Pirates! Gold – What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor? -- Jeffrey L. Briggs, Roland J. Rizzo, Scott L. Patterson
67. Prime Time NFL starring Deion Sanders – Title screen -- Andy Armer
68. Pro Striker Final Stage – BGM 5 -- Tomoyuki Hamada, Hiroyuki Hamada, Masaru Setsumaru
69. The Punisher – Bonus stage -- Yoko Shimomura, Isao Abe, Toshio Kajino, Shun Nishigaki, Nobuhiro Oouchi, arr. Unknown
70. ResQ – Ending – Matt Furniss, Shaun Hollingworth
71. Rings of Power – Seas -- Alexander Hinds, Jon Medek
72. Shadow Dancer – Round 2-1 -- Keisuke Tsukahara
73. Shadowrun – Bar 2 -- Sam Powell
74. Shaq Fu – Shaq’s theme -- Raphael Gesqua
75. Shui Hu: Feng Yun Zhuan – Stage 5 – Shui Hu
76. Snake Rattle ‘n Roll – Ending -- David Wise
77. Snow Bros.: Nick & Tom – Floors 41-49 -- Osamu Ohta, Tatsuya Uemura, Mikiko Suzuki
78. Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time – Track 20 – Attila Dobos, Attila Heger, Gabor Kis, Andras Magyari, Steve Zuckermann
79. Streets of Rage 3 – Dub Slash -- Yuzo Koshiro, Motohiro Kawashima, Hideki Koyama
80. Strider – Grandmaster -- Junko Tamiya, arr. XOR
81. Sub-terrania – Level 4 -- Jesper Kyd
82. Super Hydlide – Main theme -- Shigeru Tomita
83. Surging Aura – Boss battle -- Kamo, Andy, Kaji Kaji, Kid
84. Super Daisenryaku – Prot It – M. Asatomi, M. Nii, arr. Tokuhiko Uwabo
85. Superman – Stage 5 -- Kenji Yamazaki, Junichi Ueda, Hiroshi Tsukamoto
86. Taiheiki – Track 4 -- composer unknown
87. The Tick – Tension Bed -- Paul Tonge, Tony Williams
88. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure – Pirate ship – Shinji Tasaka, Tsuyoshi Sekito, Hideto Inoue
89. Top Gear 2 – Canterbury Plain -- Patrick Phelan, Ashley Bennett, arr. Neil Biggin
90. Toxic Crusaders – Intro – Frederic Mentzen
91. Toy Story – Main menu -- Randy Newman, arr. Patrick J. Collins, Andy Blythe, Marten Joustra, Allister Brimble
92. Viewpoint – Mes Volutes Bleues – Shizuyoshi Okamura, Megumi Matsuura, Masaki Kase
93. Virtua Fighter 2 – Ride the Tiger -- Takayuki Nakamura, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Akiko Hashimoto, Kazuhiko Kouchi, arr. Hitoshi Ohori, Tomohiro Endou, Shougo Sakai
94. Wacky Worlds Creativity Studio – Haunted graveyard -- Ted Allen, John Baker, Jim Donofrio, Mark Miller
95. Waialae no Kiseki – BGM 1 -- Yumi Kinoshita, Shigekazu Kamaki, Yusaburo Shimojyo, Shunsuke Minomiya, Hiroshi Morita, Akira Tamada
96. Waterworld – On Trimaran -- Jason Page
97. World Class Leaderboard Golf – Title screen -- John Hancock
98. X-Men – Mojo’s Future Crunch -- Fletcher Beasley
99. Yu Yu Hakusho – Sub-space 2 -- Satoshi Murata, Katsuhito Suzuki, Aki Hata, Norio Hanzawa
100. Zan: Yasha Enbukyoku – Strategy Phase 2 -- Motoi Sakuraba

Enjoy.

Shaneus

God damn it, those HD Retrovision component cables went on sale today, and sold out within minutes :( Was hoping for some clarity with my MD, now I'll have to wait!

Congrats to the guys selling them though, obviously the demand is there!

RexRogers

Neo Member
I own and have beaten the PC-version, can somebody tell me how the genesis port compare? What about the Snes-version?
Don't know about the Genesis to PC comparison, but the Genesis version is definitely superior to the SNES version. The SNES suffers from servere slowdown, is missing music, and has a bit of censorship. I've got both, but there's really no reason to ever play the SNES version.

RexRogers

Neo Member
God damn it, those HD Retrovision component cables went on sale today, and sold out within minutes :( Was hoping for some clarity with my MD, now I'll have to wait!

Congrats to the guys selling them though, obviously the demand is there!
I snagged one of each of the new Genesis and SNES cables. I've been talking to the HDR guys for a few years as the cables were being developed. I even got a prototype SNES about 2 years ago and let me tell you that they are indeed worth it. If your TV accepts 240p, of course. I'll be making sure every future TV I own works with them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Don't know about the Genesis to PC comparison, but the Genesis version is definitely superior to the SNES version. The SNES suffers from servere slowdown, is missing music, and has a bit of censorship. I've got both, but there's really no reason to ever play the SNES version.

Nice to know this as well! I remember reading the favourable reviews of it in Nintendo-Magasinet (scandinavian Nintendo Power-equivalent) back in the day, and had my dad pick it up for the PC when it hit the bargain bin later. I was never able to beat the second level, but played it again about five years ago, and completed it. Starts great, but gets very repetitive with the boring combat in the end imo.

Shaneus

I snagged one of each of the new Genesis and SNES cables. I've been talking to the HDR guys for a few years as the cables were being developed. I even got a prototype SNES about 2 years ago and let me tell you that they are indeed worth it. If your TV accepts 240p, of course. I'll be making sure every future TV I own works with them.
Let me know how it goes! Any comparison shots you can do would be appreciated too, curious to see how they turn out.

thomasos

Wow, that must've been a great experience.

Yeah, for someone who grew up a Sega kid, it was pretty cool. I also got to interview him for this "Power Profile," which was always one of my favorite sections in Nintendo Power. (And yes, a self-professed Sega kid ended up working at Nintendo's official publication.)

xjo2Z44.jpg

B9jVF1p.jpg

i see Thunder force II and IV, where's III? is it on another shelf?

It's on the "to buy" list, for sure. I just haven't come across a nice copy at a reasonable price yet!

b3b0p

Whenever console pinball games are mentioned and especially Genesis pinball games I'm instantly reminded of:

DinoLandUSBoxShotGenesis.jpg

I thought it was awesome! Haven't played it in a while though.

Noahd41

Neo Member
Darn. I haven't kept up at all with the monthly game but Biohazard Battle is great.

I've been side tracked with my ps1, 2 and psp collections lately and I've completely struck out on any good finds locally.

Teknoman

Nice dude. That's a solid collection.

Does nobody organize their collection by type of spine like this (ignore Wings of Wor):

That actually seems like how someone would do an NES box set (Black box, Konami silver, then everything else).

Isnt there a Sega CD version?

Rich!

just bought this for £50 (free postage) to celebrate getting a new job today after a successful interview (totally out of the blue, didn't even apply for it but was contacted by a recruitment firm who found my CV and it just so happened to be a company in my town I wanted to work with for years now).

Thought £50 was a good deal - asian MD1 with RGB cable, controller, PSU and game.

a2Mmg2tl.jpg

rvxfUZAl.jpg

z3vmfkFl.jpg

VdCp99jl.jpg

hooray

I'll be adding a 60hz/region switch to it of course - seems too easy not to. I'm just happy that now I've finally rebuilt my console collection. I had to sell up everything in 2014 after the breakup with my ex, loss of my house, but now things are better than ever

Top Bottom