• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Galdelico

It seems the problem is mainly with the first model, I have no problem with my Megadrive 2.
I see, thanks for clarifying that too. I'll definitely check it out, though.

Also, guys... Anyone here's rocking some wireless 6-buttons controllers? I feel tempted everytime I see them on ebay, but I actually have no clue on how well they actually work.

BTails

How much of an improvement is the RCA audio jack mod?

No clue, but I'm getting some nasty interference from the headphone jack on the front of my Mega Drive, so I figure since I have the system open, and my supplies out, why not? It looks pretty easy for sure.

Incidentally, I got Bio Hazard Battle as part of the big Genesis bundles on Steam.

I don't really like it. Not really a shmup person, admittedly, which is probably a big part of it, but... yeah.

Timu

Just beaten Bio Hazard Battle, I actually liked it and I did like the final boss which is probably one of my fav fights in the whole game. I did like how the game actually did get easier after the 4th stage. Solid game overall and I want to 1CC it for a youtube playthrough.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
My Genesis is getting an overhaul next week... On the docket:
  • Full cap replacement
  • Audio mod - with RCA jacks mounted in the back
  • Lift pin 6 and ground it, no more jailbars

Gonna be a LONG afternoon, what game should I play to celebrate? And what should I be drinking? Haha.

Come on, you have to play Biohazard Battle for the club of course!

BTails

Come on, you have to play Biohazard Battle for the club of course!

Oh, I've already put some time into BHB. Got stuck on that (now infamous) Level 4. Good to know that the rest of the game is easier afterwards, gives me motivation to go back.

Timu

Oh, I've already put some time into BHB. Got stuck on that (now infamous) Level 4. Good to know that the rest of the game is easier afterwards, gives me motivation to go back.
Stage 5 is funny enough harder than the stages after it but not as hard as Stage 4, and it's boss isn't too bad but not too easy. Stage 6 and 7 are some of the easier stages(though not as easy as 1-3) and have some of the easiest bosses(Stage 7 has the easiest "boss" in the whole game). Unfortunately while Stage 8 isn't too hard, the boss is definitely one of the hardest in the game as it drags on and on and on if you die multiple times, but kinda expected.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Let me know how it goes! Any comparison shots you can do would be appreciated too, curious to see how they turn out.

Sweet! I got the HD Retrovision cables in the mail today and immediately ripped it open and plugged it into the Genesis. Some pics...

The cable plugged in.
20160707_173809.jpg

20160707_1738240.jpg

Now for some comparison pics.

HD Retrovision
20160707_173912.jpg

Composhit, I mean, composite. And this really is as sharp as it gets.
20160707_174217.jpg

HD Retrovision
20160707_173937.jpg

Composite
20160707_174232.jpg

HD Retrovision (Do I even need to say this?)
20160707_174330.jpg

I know they used dithering to make up for lack of color palette, and it definitely works here with composite.
20160707_174247.jpg

And then the proof.
20160707_174349.jpg

Shaneus

Sweet! I got the HD Retrovision cables in the mail today and immediately ripped it open and plugged it into the Genesis. Some pics...

The cable plugged in.
20160707_173809.jpg

20160707_1738240.jpg

Now for some comparison pics.

HD Retrovision
20160707_173912.jpg

Composhit, I mean, composite. And this really is as sharp as it gets.
20160707_174217.jpg

HD Retrovision
20160707_173937.jpg

Composite
20160707_174232.jpg

HD Retrovision (Do I even need to say this?)
20160707_174330.jpg

I know they used dithering to make up for lack of color palette, and it definitely works here with composite.
20160707_174247.jpg

And then the proof.
20160707_174349.jpg
FUUUUCK. They look way better than I was hoping, after missing out :( Well done on the score though, they look just crazy.

That's on a plasma/LCD?

Shaneus

I wonder if there's a way to still use the RGB cable, but throw in some post-processing box to kind of blur the pixels that are meant to be blurred. I imagine the transparent waterfall effect in the Sonic games disappears with those cables, too.

Morfeo

That looks awesome, but would be even more interesting to see it compared to rgb where the difference is probably smaller?

Shaneus

That looks awesome, but would be even more interesting to see it compared to rgb where the difference is probably smaller?
It *is* RGB. Unless you mean something else?

Side question: Is it possible to get S-Video out of the MD? Maybe that gives me the right combo of clarity *and* a little blurriness for dithering.

Morfeo

It *is* RGB. Unless you mean something else?

Side question: Is it possible to get S-Video out of the MD? Maybe that gives me the right combo of clarity *and* a little blurriness for dithering.

Ah ok, I thought it was something else, since component cables usually gives YPbPr, but what do i know, maybe that is just a different name for rgb? In all cases, your pics looked amazing!

Shaneus

Ah ok, I thought it was something else, since component cables usually gives YPbPr, but what do i know, maybe that is just a different name for rgb? In all cases, your pics looked amazing!
Oh wait, my mistake... I get those two confused. You're probably right on this one, ignore my post! I usually fail to differentiate between RGB and YPbPr :( Apologies!

gwailo

Banned
Yes, you can get every game ever on an everdrive, but I've been getting into more of the oddities lately? Why the hell not? Kinda of a unique case here, more of a slip on that saves some space on your shelf for more games ;)

The game itself is a fun (but totally brainless) brawler with brief shooter levels. I like the oldschool character designs, especially classic red and gold Iron Man.

One of the big draws, the "real" digitized voices telling the story are terrible though! But maybe in an unintentionally bad but so good way. Sounds like someone just took Hunter Thompson ether rag for a hit.

IMG_20160707_214552_zpswerxhuh4.jpg

Timu

I'm trying to 1CC Bio Hazard Battle but Stage 4 still gives me trouble...seriously, fuck that stage!!! Hope I can get it done next week!

BTails

The game itself is a fun (but totally brainless) brawler with brief shooter levels. I like the oldschool character designs, especially classic red and gold Iron Man.

I played through Captain America and the Avengers a little while ago, a day before going to see Civil War. It's a fun brawler, especially if you like Marvel comics! Also, having played a ton of the SNES version growing up, the Genesis release is way better.

There's a great palette hack for it too that does wonders for the graphics.

Rich!

Just setting off to a market and car boot sale...it'll be interesting to see what Sega stuff I can pick up, there was a lot there last time

Just hope I don't regret that I chose not to drive there. I've got a pretty big shoulder bag to put junk in but it's a 7 mile walk each way.

Edit: they had fuck all. But I bought a really odd SNES/MD controller hybrid...

You should, it's a pretty good game and not as tough as many other shumps.

i'm so glad the game of the month is a shooter. Not that i want a shooter every month, but every once in a while doesn't hurt =)

Yes, you can get every game ever on an everdrive, but I've been getting into more of the oddities lately? Why the hell not? Kinda of a unique case here, more of a slip on that saves some space on your shelf for more games ;)

One of the big draws, the "real" digitized voices telling the story are terrible though! But maybe in an unintentionally bad but so good way. Sounds like someone just took Hunter Thompson ether rag for a hit.

IMG_20160707_214552_zpswerxhuh4.jpg
i used to play this at my local arcade all the time. for some reason, everyone used Vision.

I like the music in stage 3 on Bio Hazard Battle & got to stage 4. To busy dodging little worms and green rocks to really appreciate the music on that stage lol

Rich!

This is the odd mega drive controller I got yesterday for 99p

lhJeZ6ch.jpg

It's actually...good! The dpad is basically a SNES dpad. It's actually exactly the same to the point where you can swap it with an official Nintendo dpad. And it feels the same to use too. Buttons are fine.

Shoulder buttons are both mode buttons...which is a weird decision. I might rewire them as X and Y but not sure if I should.

Rich!

I mean, you're probably gonna want a Mode button for the games that need it

Like The Lost Vikings

I can put in a small push button at the top next to the cable and wire it to MODE.

The shoulder buttons are really good...it'd be a shame to never make use of them.

I prefer:

Unfortunately coming across it is incredibly difficult.

Note: I love my Genesis too, I just don't have a box!
Oooo looks nice with the Saturn box

What a great start to my weekend.
damn. i need to get one of those..

I can now confirm that Bio Hazard Battle will be the 1st scrolling shump on my youtube channel!
cool! a shooter on youtube, share a link when it's up. i definately watch it =)
CiB and clean af

my BHB is missing the manual
i got it from a nice guy on ebay. also from the same seller, i have Rocket Night coming in =)

yeah, i'm missing a manual for strider and thunder force IV (lightening force)

alf717

Picked up Sonic & Knuckles and had some issues with the game. Sprites would load up looking garbled randomly and the game would freeze. Cleaned up everything, the 32x, the model 2 as well as the carts. I had one lock up since. Hope this cart isn't gonna give me anymore issues. Is it common for the game to glitch like this?

gwailo

Banned
Picked up a couple of multi-cart bootlegs. Bad Chinese craftsmanship at its "finest".

The top one has James Bond: The Duel (labeled as James Pond with artwork from Die Another Day), Bare Knuckle (with art from Virtua Fighter, plays as Streets of Rage on my US system), Sunset Riders, and Chase HQ II.

The bottom one is supposed to be 19 games in 1 but it is the same 6 repeated under different names: International Superstar Soccer, Tecmo World Cup, Sunset Riders, Super Hang-On, Block Out, and Omega Race. If I had paid more than 4 bucks, the deceptive labeling might have angered me ;)

2016-07-09%2015.47.10_zps1wrajuyc.jpg

20160709_153825_zpssnejvpoj.jpg

Top Bottom