• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Use blue, and yellow at certain parts.

i did, i used the yellow ship as you suggested and yellow power up for the battle ship on stage 6. wiped it out so fast =)

Stage 7 i used blue for almost every stage. but got a yellow bubble by accident. (the power up bubbles just bounce around.) and died.

Timu

i did, i used the yellow ship as you suggested and yellow power up for the battle ship on stage 6. wiped it out so fast =)

Stage 7 i used blue for almost every stage. but got a yellow bubble by accident. (the power up bubbles just bounce around.) and died.
If you are having trouble with Stage 7(which I don't find to be that hard) you will hate the last stage. Keep at it though!

Slermy

Chaotix remains an interesting curiosity. The level design's a little too uninspired and repetitive for me to call it a good game outright (it has its moments, but doesn't build on them very well), but the presentation is stellar and the special stages are arguably the best in the series.

I think the presentation and solid gameplay still classify it as a "good game"' to me, even if it doesn't hit the highs os 1/2/3&K.

I'd rather play Chaotix than Sonic CD

So, with regards to voting on the games every month, what is this actually for? Is it just picking which game people like more, or do people play that game for the month?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
favorite covers?

GqJ4gEah.jpg

Rich!

Earthworm_Jim_2_(EUR).PNG

my fave. amazing game.

bought the saturn version, played through it with eager amazement and happiness....until I got to the ISO90001 stage. Why the fuck is the scottish grandma soundtrack playing? It should be Lorenzo's Soil! Fuck you, shiny entertainment!!!!!!!!!!11

Khaz

bought the saturn version, played through it with eager amazement and happiness....until I got to the ISO90001 stage. Why the fuck is the scottish grandma soundtrack playing? It should be Lorenzo's Soil! Fuck you, shiny entertainment!!!!!!!!!!11

Uh? There's a mix up in the tracks in the Saturn version? I've never heard of it.

Teknoman

The intro to Biohazard Battle is just so good. I cant think of many games today that let you play through a full decent from space. The way the music constantly evolves from Stage 1 to 2 also really drives that feeling of "reemergence" if that makes any sense.

i'm gonna buy a 32X
what games are worth having for it?

The 32X's library is small, but most of the games are interesting in some way, I think... my favorites are Shadow Squadron, Space Harrier, and Virtua Racing, but there are at least a couple dozen 32X games definitely worth a look.

As for the 32X CD games, though, only buy any of them if you like FMV games. And even then, only buy Supreme Warrior if you want to suffer, because it's hilariously terrible!

The intro to Biohazard Battle is just so good. I cant think of many games today that let you play through a full decent from space. The way the music constantly evolves from Stage 1 to 2 also really drives that feeling of "reemergence" if that makes any sense.

When I first heard Bio Hazard Battle's soundtrack after turning the game on, I was very impressed that the Genesis could actually do that... it's got really great techno music! It isn't the best soundtrack on the Genesis in that genre, my favorite is Adventures of Batman & Robin, but it's one of the better ones for certain.

Bumhead

Banned
Been on a real retro kick recently, and bought a Mega Drive on eBay which arrived yesterday. Was pretty impulsive as I originally wanted to focus on the PS1; the first system I owned for myself and therefore the one I have the most nostalgia for. But I played Mega Drive a lot at friends houses as a kid so I still have a ton of nostalgia for that too, and decided to buy one on the spur of the moment (was drunk when I hit the buy button, too).

It's a Mega Drive II model in good condition, a few surface scratches on the system itself but nothing major, and the controller is perfect. It's got the 60hz switch mod and came with a Scart cable. Not sure if it's the RGB Scart people recommend for retro systems, but it seems to do the job.

So, so glad I bought it. I'm super impressed with the clean image quality, even on a 50" HDTV. It's a real apples to oranges example, but I played Dino Crisis on my PS1 the night before testing Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament, and the difference in general screen quality is night and day. Micro Machines looks genuinely really smart. Like an intentionally pixel art indie game that could just as easily be released today on PSN. By comparison, Dino Crisis (and the other PS1 games I've tried) look every bit like near-two decade old games. I was all set up for 2D pixels to hold up better than the PS1's early 3D, obviously, but I'm kinda shocked how nice the Mega Drive holds up and looks on my TV.

This is a rabbit hole I can see me falling pretty far down now. Want to check out my local used game store today to see what's hiding in there.

Yeah the music is catchy. And I agree, it's a pretty damn good, I wish I played this when I was a kid.

Khaz

That video is the SNES version.

Try the ultimate debug code. That has a level select.

It's... not?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/earthwormjim/earthwormjim2.htm
The background is from the 32bit version, and the music, unless I am mistaken, is the correct one.

I don't know if it's my game or if I'm just incredibly stupid, but no codes are working, neither the passwords nor the cheat codes to enter during pause. I'm playing the PAL release, original disc.

Rich!

It's... not?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/earthwormjim/earthwormjim2.htm
The background is from the 32bit version, and the music, unless I am mistaken, is the correct one.

I don't know if it's my game or if I'm just incredibly stupid, but no codes are working, neither the passwords nor the cheat codes to enter during pause. I'm playing the PAL release, original disc.

seems like you're not gonna take my word for it sadly, so I've taken a video that proves it:

https://youtu.be/ObuA_eBipks

Both my Saturn and PS1 versions are the same. Saturn version is NTSC, PS1 version is PAL. Both played on real hardware. Both have the bagpipe music set on the ISO9000 level. It's pretty obvious that the music was changed in the 32bit version from lorenzo's soil to the bagpipe music for some music...so i'm not sure why we're arguing this! Either way, it's not exactly a great choice...its a fucking terrible fit.

Khaz

seems like you're not gonna take my word for it sadly, so I've taken a video that proves it:

https://youtu.be/ObuA_eBipks

Both my Saturn and PS1 versions are the same. Saturn version is NTSC, PS1 version is PAL. Both played on real hardware. Both have the bagpipe music set on the ISO9000 level. It's pretty obvious that the music was changed in the 32bit version from lorenzo's soil to the bagpipe music for some music...so i'm not sure why we're arguing this! Either way, it's not exactly a great choice...its a fucking terrible fit.

We're not arguing lol, I can't even see it on my own copy. I was just surprised by the claim that I never read about. How do you explain the video I linked, though? It's not the SNES version, and it has the correct music playing.

Rich!

We're not arguing lol, I can't even see it on my own copy. I was just surprised by the claim that I never read about. How do you explain the video I linked, though? It's not the SNES version, and it has the correct music playing.

I have no idea. This is odd...maybe it's just certain pressings of the disc?

Rich!

It may be from the PC version, now that I think of it.

The PAL Saturn has the bagpipes in iso 9000 :D

That reminded me - I bought both games from gog.com ages ago. Just tested EWJ2 PC version and it doesn't have the bagpipe music on that stage

I think that solves the mystery

Fucking bagpipes

gwailo

Banned
Playing Mortal Kombat 6... at least according to some Chinese hackers who tweaked MK1. Not surprisingly the promised 28 people in the roster are mostly pallette swaps. I picked Jax and I got a version of Johnny Cage named Black Glass. Alrighty then.

20160717_093904-1_zpslgu7hirg.jpg

BTails

So, my plans to do all those mods/repair this week went out the window when on Tuesday, my wife and I welcomed our baby daughter into the world! Since then, I've had (understandably) NO time for gaming, though late night GAF was happened on a few occasions, haha.

Well, tonight I got a chance to do at least one mod: Stereo out on the back of the Model 1. I followed the guide on RetroRGB.com, and opted for the easiest method: a headphone extension cable sticking out of the EXT port.

VBqhdKZ.jpg

It works amazing, though I snapped the LED power cable while working... A small price to pay for how insanely good this thing sounds now. With 5 minutes to test, I played a quick level of Gunstar, and watched the rad opening to Lunar the Silver Star. Not only did the mod make the Genesis more aesthetically pleasing (no wire out the front!), but it actually sounds clearer/less distorted than the headphone jack. Plus, no more interference like I was having, and possibly less hum as well.

Can't wait until I have more time to mess around with it... Maybe in another week or so?

So, my plans to do all those mods/repair this week went out the window when on Tuesday, my wife and I welcomed our baby daughter into the world! Since then, I've had (understandably) NO time for gaming, though late night GAF was happened on a few occasions, haha.

Well, tonight I got a chance to do at least one mod: Stereo out on the back of the Model 1. I followed the guide on RetroRGB.com, and opted for the easiest method: a headphone extension cable sticking out of the EXT port.

VBqhdKZ.jpg

It works amazing, though I snapped the LED power cable while working... A small price to pay for how insanely good this thing sounds now. With 5 minutes to test, I played a quick level of Gunstar, and watched the rad opening to Lunar the Silver Star. Not only did the mod make the Genesis more aesthetically pleasing (no wire out the front!), but it actually sounds clearer/less distorted than the headphone jack. Plus, no more interference like I was having, and possibly less hum as well.

Can't wait until I have more time to mess around with it... Maybe in another week or so?

Congrats on the newborn and the successful mod! Enjoy the time with your daughter, they're out the door before you know it. Mine is a sophomore in college & I still don't know where the time went.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

VBqhdKZ.jpg

Congrats on becomming a father!

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone know if Sega Mega Drive/Genesis multi-taps are region free? I want to purchase a Japanese one and I use a PAL system.

Also, I want to use the tap to play 4 player Micro Machines using the everdrive MD. Anyone know if micro machine games work with a multi-tap (even if they were J-Carts?)

Also, I want to use the tap to play 4 player Micro Machines using the everdrive MD. Anyone know if micro machine games work with a multi-tap (even if they were J-Carts?)

Doubt it. There's also 2 different types of multitaps on Mega Drive. Make sure you get one that supports both EA mode and Sega mode :p

http://segaretro.org/Team_Player

Edit: Actually... Looks like it'll work with some versions of the games?
http://segaretro.org/File:MM2_MD_EU_Box_NoJCart.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
There's not a lot of info about this. Ideally I'd like to pick up a multitap and just play MM off the everdrive but it looks like I'll just have to dig out my old J-carts.

Khaz

Well you could use the pad sharing option to have four players play on two controllers. Who cares about speed control when you can yank the controller off your mates hands?

Galdelico

Finally the retro-setup is finished (I just have to re-arrange it, really, due to some moving around), and I've enjoyed some Mega Drive gaming, during the weekend... Power Instinct is actually pretty solid - it can be a bit underwhelming at times, graphically speaking, and it's heavily bordered too, but it plays surprisingly well - and I found out my Sonic 3 cart can still save data. It looked almost brand new, and I don't know how much longer it will hold up, but it's cool to know nonetheless. I also played some Bare Knuckle III - I love it, it's one of my favorite games on the system - Raiden and Tatsujin, and had my ass kicked by Contra Hard Corps and Ghouls'n Ghosts in a way I wont easily forget. :D

I wish I had a nice PVM/monitor to go with, instead of my actual Trinitron flatscreen. It's still doing a more than decent job, especially since everything does RGB, but the geometry isn't as perfect as I'd wish. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to replace it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally got to play some Biohazard Battle, and it seems decent enough. But is there some hidden depth here I have yet to discover? So far I am only blasting away and doging like any other shooter, which is fun for sure.

Finally got to play some Biohazard Battle, and it seems decent enough. But is there some hidden depth here I have yet to discover? So far I am only blasting away and doging like any other shooter, which is fun for sure.

Other than selecting the right ship and weapon combo, thats about it. My go to is the yellow ship, bottom right & red seeker power up most of the time. Use yellow for bosses and I pick blue for certain areas with a lot of enemies and tight spaces. Caves in stage 4 for example.

Timu

Other than selecting the right ship and weapon combo, thats about it. My go to is the yellow ship, bottom right & red seeker power up most of the time. Use yellow for bosses and I pick blue for certain areas with a lot of enemies and tight spaces. Caves in stage 4 for example.
Yep, go yellow or else you'll have a tougher time with the game.

BTails

So I purchased a 3-in-1 power supply for the Genesis 1/Sega CD/32x today. Not the Retro Trio, but the one linked below, as recommended in the Sega CD
aka Brutal Bear
thread.

http://en.retrogamesupply.com

I also grabbed a PSU for my AV Famicom too. Should be nice to get rid of a lot of those giant bricks.

Top Bottom