• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Timu

cool! a shooter on youtube, share a link when it's up. i definately watch it =)
You can view it here. It took like 30 some tries to do this. There's a 4k option as well, hell all game vids from June 2016 and onward no matter the system will be in 4k.

1CCing the game was mostly easy for me so I attempted to beat it without dying since I was determined to do it since I mastered most of the stages in just 2 days after beating the game for the 1st time last week. This game didn't seem so bad to me besides Stages 4 and 8 so I'm glad I made this my 1st one on the channel to prove that I can beat a scrolling shump without dying once. As for other scrolling shumps, well, deaths are gonna happen! Still though I'm happy that I'm able to do it.

BTails

You can view it here. It took like 30 some tries to do this. There's a 4k option as well, hell all game vids from June 2016 and onward no matter the system will be in 4k.

1CCing the game was mostly easy for me so I attempted to beat it without dying since I was determined to do it since I mastered most of the stages in just 2 days after beating the game for the 1st time last week. This game didn't seem so bad to me besides Stages 4 and 8 so I'm glad I made this my 1st one on the channel to prove that I can beat a scrolling shump without dying once. As for other scrolling shumps, well, deaths are gonna happen! Still though I'm happy that I'm able to do it.

I'm so watching this later so I can beat the game this month!!

Nice job! I was waiting for this so I could see the ship selection and power up for Stage 4. I see now we both had the same, I just need teh skillz lol

nice! and thanks for the link.

yeah i need to beat the game, i'm gonig to watch this after.

Conezays

Awesome job! I 1cc'd practice mode for what it's worth, haha.

Timu

Pro tip: I recommend using the yellow weapon for bosses as it kills them quicker.

Nice job! I was waiting for this so I could see the ship selection and power up for Stage 4. I see now we both had the same, I just need teh skillz lol
It's really the best ship in the game, heck it's the only ship with a homing weapon.

nice! and thanks for the link.

yeah i need to beat the game, i'm gonig to watch this after.
No problem, and have fun, despite some frustrating sections it's a good time.

Awesome job! I 1cc'd practice mode for what it's worth, haha.
My playthrough is on normal, so it's not as impressive as say harder difficulties but then again the 1CC is what counts the most.

Congrats on the 1CC, Timu
Thank you, I will try to 1CC more shumps, though no death is not guaranteed, definitely if I play something like Lightening Force, because that game is brutal even on normal!!!

Dave's in for a fun ride

Rocket_Knight_Adventures_(SMD)_03.gif

BTails

Rocket Knight is an absolute gem. I didn't play it back when it was new, but a few years later. I was in High School (probably around 2001/2002), and my friend had found his Sega Genesis, and he had a copy. We ended up playing it all night, I remember being annoyed when I hit the "wall" on Easy mode where you can't continue.

By the next morning, I had beat the full game. What a great ride.

gwailo

Banned
Picked up this repro of an unofficial Chinese release of The Battle of Red Cliffs, which is based on a conflict from 280 AD that has been adapted into several novels, TV series, and movies, including John Woo's 2008 2 part epic.

The game is a decent brawler that seems to use the same assets and engine from another unofficial Chinese game based on historical characters, Yang's Warrior Family. Both games use elements from Capcom beat em ups, most notably Knights of the Round.

20160711_170641-1_zpsryl70xko.jpg

Reposting, because only a handful of people have voted so far. Everyones more active this time of year so it's understandable that the votes are so low.

35d5c7D.png

Crue Ball

ATTENTION HEADBANGERS! The Ultimate Heavy Metal Pinball Concert is about to begin! You just got front row tickets to a no-holds barred, totally rockin' Metalfest. It's up to you to blast the anti-rock forces and crank up the volume to the max. Crue Ball gives you a backstage pass to the ultimate pinball tour. Blistering soundtrack features three Motley Crue hits! Nine rippin' volume levels (that's play levels, dudes)! Special appearance by Motley Crue's Alister Fiend! Loads of skill shots and nasty enemies!

Devilish

Anyone can break through a couple of brick walls, right? Well, breaking through barriers is only a small part of this mission. Tons of beasts, bodies, blockades, and other bad seed await you as you travel through a series of eight daring and challenging stages.
Dodge through graveyards and waterfalls, slide through a world of ice, and with a little luck, you'll reach the Evil Temple, where you'll come face to face with your most evil nemesis, Gamma.
But Gamma doesn't even expect you to make it to the end, because he has placed plenty of his best beasts and boobie-traps on each level to aid in your demise. And at the end of each level, you must battle one of Gamma's most devoted creatures of darkness before you can move on to the next challenge.
But don't worry. We've equipped you with our specialized dual-paddle system. And there are four different paddle formations to give you maximum control of the Power Orb.

Echo: Tides of Time

Ecco is older, stronger and engulfed by dangers! The evil Vortex has shattered the mystical Asterite. Ecco and Trellia, a beautiful dolphin of the future, cross 100 million years of time to save the dolphins and all life on Earth! Ecco morphs! Charge a metasphere to become a shark with all its fighting power! Change into a seagull and fly! Safely swim past dangers as a jellyfish! Over 40 levels of spectacular aquatic adventure, with password save. Five levels of challenging 3-D travel, through the vast waters of the open ocean!

Syndicate

Mission Briefing: Sources indicate that a rival syndicate has developed a dangerous new computer program and our research boys want it. In the year 2096, the world is divided into regions controlled by a handful of massive corporations, struggling for dominance. Prepare yourself for the ultimate corporate takeover!

McDonald's Treasureland Adventure

Based on the McDonald's fast food franchise and four of its corporate mascots from McDonaldland (Ronald McDonald, Hamburglar, Grimace, and Birdie the Early Bird), the game follows the adventures of Ronald McDonald in an attempt to find four pieces of a treasure map, and ultimately, the treasure to which it leads.

I know some people do not like Price Charting. If thats the overall consensus then I'll remove it. I figure at a quick glance we can get an idea on pricing.

BTails

That's a nice, clean looking copy of RKA you've got there David!

Having problems voting on my iPad right now, and I'm away from home for the next little while. If I remember to, I'll probably vote for
Devilish
as I think it looks cool.

Picked up this repro of an unofficial Chinese release of The Battle of Red Cliffs, which is based on a conflict from 280 AD that has been adapted into several novels, TV series, and movies, including John Woo's 2008 2 part epic.

The game is a decent brawler that seems to use the same assets and engine from another unofficial Chinese game based on historical characters, Yang's Warrior Family. Both games use elements from Capcom beat em ups, most notably Knights of the Round.

20160711_170641-1_zpsryl70xko.jpg

Out of curiosity, where did you grab that? There is a chance i may have made that for you haha

I am on holiday, so havent touched BioHazard yet, will in about a week though!
i started it today and it's a pretty good game.!
That's a nice, clean looking copy of RKA you've got there David!

Having problems voting on my iPad right now, and I'm away from home for the next little while. If I remember to, I'll probably vote for
Devilish
as I think it looks cool.
thanks BTails

Nice! All of your pickups look minty.
the ebay seller gave me a nice best offer on both biohazard and rocket knight league (shipped a week apart)

Try to 1CC the game like I did as well.=p
man... stage 3 and 4 is a bit harder than i thought. i got through it ok but used up all my continues at didn't advance past stage 4 boss.

i was only using the first character with blue.

gwailo

Banned
Yep, that's me (well, me and a couple other people). I don't tend to bring it up, but i get excited when people get the weird stuff.

TBH I didn't have a good experience and the workmanship on the cart isn't good, so I won't be buying from there again. Gave a 2 star review on Etsy and I think that is generous especially seeing how much you charge.

TBH I didn't have a good experience and the workmanship on the cart isn't good, so I won't be buying from there again. Gave a 2 star review on Etsy and I think that is generous especially seeing how much you charge.

We genuinely try to not let that happen. If you wanna PM me, I'd be glad to fix any issues. Id much rather fix things then with cart issues.

Timu

man... stage 3 and 4 is a bit harder than i thought. i got through it ok but used up all my continues at didn't advance past stage 4 boss.

i was only using the first character with blue.
Use yellow ship, best ship in the game.

Use yellow weapon on bosses. Always mix between the weapons in the stages, blue and orange are the most useful.

Blue is very useful on stage 4. I can almost finish Stage 4 without dying.

On a side note, the Genesis looks absolutely stunning on the XRGB. This freaking thing is amazing, I never thought it would be this much of a difference! Streets of Rage 2 just pops on the screen, hell just about everything does. Speechless.

I'm gonna try out/stream Bio Hazard Battle on Saturday before i kick into EVO. I have a feeling i won't get too far (i'm horrible with shooters) but i'm excited to check it out, since its one i barely know anything about.

Yep, that's me (well, me and a couple other people). I don't tend to bring it up, but i get excited when people get the weird stuff.

Place you work have a name change? Thought it was something like 8bitevolution or something. Would explain why when I was looking for it the other day I couldn't find it anymore.

Use yellow ship, best ship in the game.

Use yellow weapon on bosses. Always mix between the weapons in the stages, blue and orange are the most useful.
orange? i guess my tint is different. i have blue, yellow, red and green.

i'll try the yellow ship next time!

Blue is very useful on stage 4. I can almost finish Stage 4 without dying.

On a side note, the Genesis looks absolutely stunning on the XRGB. This freaking thing is amazing, I never thought it would be this much of a difference! Streets of Rage 2 just pops on the screen, hell just about everything does. Speechless.
it's weird, i can finish stage 3 w/o dying or if i do die, i do it in bunches.
same with stage 4, the first try i made it to the boss but then died. once i started the stage all over i kept dying and losing credits till i ran out.

when a stage is new i'm really alert and my dodge instincts are sharp but when i die and replay a stage i'm not as attentive and die more often till i end up memorizing all the bullet and enemy patterns to advance. by then my instincts are dull and i'm doing it from auto pilot. =)

i was thinking of getting an XRGB even though i have a Sony BVM..

dogen

How about, both were inspired by [URL=" Remorse from Metallica Kill 'em All
1983. About 1:30ish. Some will say the beginning of [URL=" of Puppets[/URL] close, but, no.

Well, you're right about doom, but I'm pretty thunder force is supposed to be this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKF5R8doqDE

They didn't even bother coming up with a new name lol.

gwailo

Banned
I liked:

Doom
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing Deluxe
Mortal Kombat II
After Burner
Space Harrier
Star Wars Arcade
WWF WrestleMania
NBA Jam
Metal Head

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I liked:

Doom
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing Deluxe
Mortal Kombat II
After Burner
Space Harrier
Star Wars Arcade
WWF WrestleMania
NBA Jam
Metal Head

Kolibri first. After that, there is some other good stuff like Blackthorne and Metal Head, but Kolibri before anything else.

Shadow Squadron is fun and cheap. NBA Jam is the best. Tempo is pretty cool
I'll check these out, thanx!

no games
But VF1 32X looks so charming
tumblr_no3vctbRMs1slig2vo1_500.gif

Chaotix remains an interesting curiosity. The level design's a little too uninspired and repetitive for me to call it a good game outright (it has its moments, but doesn't build on them very well), but the presentation is stellar and the special stages are arguably the best in the series.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's better than the orginal Saturn Version.
yup! locked 30fps too right?
Chaotix remains an interesting curiosity. The level design's a little too uninspired and repetitive for me to call it a good game outright (it has its moments, but doesn't build on them very well), but the presentation is stellar and the special stages are arguably the best in the series.

Music tho?

Top Bottom