• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Shaneus

I'm in the middle of listening to an episode of Back in my Play where they cover a tonne of awesome Genesis music.

Now I'm hunting down games I really can't justify buying. Thunder Force IV is only $50 boxes with manual, damnit. PAL though :/

gwailo

Banned
The rare instance when drinking and driving is not only okay, it's encouraged. I miss the digitized voices from the arcade version, but after a couple glasses of this 10.3% imperial IPA, I won't care :)

2016-08-01%2023.44.02_zpsyoyrijup.jpg

Shaneus

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the cover art for Roadblasters on MD. That's crazy, looks exactly like something out of They Live!.

The MD/Gen version is regarded as being one of the better ports of it, yeah? Without the voices obv.

BTails

That's a tasty looking growler. Plus, I love me some strong IPAs. There's a few of us on here that are fans of rhe 'ol "Craft Beer and Retro game" pairing.

gwailo

Banned
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the cover art for Roadblasters on MD. That's crazy, looks exactly like something out of They Live!.

The MD/Gen version is regarded as being one of the better ports of it, yeah? Without the voices obv.

Yeah it's pretty much spot on, which makes the missing voices all that more obvious. Even the Lynx version had them. Did they seriously need the extra 8K of space on the cart? Weird.

That's a tasty looking growler. Plus, I love me some strong IPAs. There's a few of us on here that are fans of rhe 'ol "Craft Beer and Retro game" pairing.

MN has finally been relaxing some of their old "blue laws" so we can finally buy growlers on Sundays, plus this place is only about a couple of miles for me, so it works out great. Now only if some of these brewpubs would throw in some oldschool games...

gwailo

Banned
Definitely a legend for video game soundtracks (except for SoR 3... ech...). I used to record tunes from his soundtracks onto cassettes back in the day.

Holy crap! I was playing Light Crusader and I got the stupid rare Gold Armour!
https://www.twitch.tv/pepsiman4mayor/v/81544175
(skip to 35:05)
(Forgive the bad stream quality. Like a dumbkopf, I was watching the stream while streaming.)

Just to give an idea of how rare this item is, I've played through Light Crusader over five times, and even spent hours farming for the drop, but never got it before.

Holy crap! I was playing Light Crusader and I got the stupid rare Gold Armour!
https://www.twitch.tv/pepsiman4mayor/v/81544175
(skip to 35:05)
(Forgive the bad stream quality. Like a dumbkopf, I was watching the stream while streaming.)

Just to give an idea of how rare this item is, I've played through Light Crusader over five times, and even spent hours farming for the drop, but never got it before.

Ok, this is 100% an honest thing, since you like this game (i'm assuming):

As a Treasure fanboy, this is the only game i can not get into. Its the only one i haven't beaten, and i just cant seem to find the appeal. Help sell me on this game. No sarcasm, i really feel like someone who understands and likes the game might be able to help get me in through the early parts into what makes this game good.

Ok, this is 100% an honest thing, since you like this game (i'm assuming):

As a Treasure fanboy, this is the only game i can not get into. Its the only one i haven't beaten, and i just cant seem to find the appeal. Help sell me on this game. No sarcasm, i really feel like someone who understands and likes the game might be able to help get me in through the early parts into what makes this game good.
I can't sell this game very well.
It's a guilty pleasure.

There are some nice qualities. The controls are good. I like how the game combines the isometric perspective with eight-way movement. The puzzles are very solid, and fit the genre well. The soundtrack and graphics are pretty neat, and the game does play around with some interesting themed areas later on. There are also some neat secrets like a
goblin disguise you can wear.
Combining magic is cool as well.

HOWEVER, the combat in this game is way too finicky, and the bosses are messy and lame. They're some of the worst I've seen in a game by Treasure.

To be honest, I can't blame anyone for not sticking with it.

lazygecko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaXsqKHnzxg

"You see, the track follows an algorithm which
tells the notes to slowly climb the scale forever and
ever. However, after about six minutes, it
reaches the limits of the Genesis' soundchip,
and errors begin to creep in. But this doesn't
stop the machine from trying to climb even
higher! What follows is a disasterous computer
meltdown."

Shaneus

Yeah it's pretty much spot on, which makes the missing voices all that more obvious. Even the Lynx version had them. Did they seriously need the extra 8K of space on the cart? Weird
I've never done a ROM hack before and wouldn't know where to start, but maybe it's possible to add the voices?

Side note: Did Klax have voices? I know it did on the Lynx, and they're both Atari/Tengen titles.

Josh5890

So I'm about to start a Phantasy Star 2 playthrough for the first time. I played it a little bit on PS2 but never got very far at all with it. This will be played through Steam. Any tips? Is there a lot of grinding to do?

BTails

So I'm about to start a Phantasy Star 2 playthrough for the first time. I played it a little bit on PS2 but never got very far at all with it. This will be played through Steam. Any tips? Is there a lot of grinding to do?

A lot of grinding is an understatement. The game is practically all grinding.

My suggestion: don't use maps for the dungeons. Map them out yourself. The benefit of doing it this way is that each dungeon takes longer to complete, so you tend to gain more experience and the grind doesn't seem AS bad.

Phenomenal game though. Soundtrack is 110%.

Absolutely! I've really got into the SOR soundtracks, including a DJ set he did with it. I've also enjoyed Revenge of Shinobi's soundtrack too. Any others people recommend around here?

Koshiro is a treasure trove of obscure bangers.

Misty Blue - Hold Me Tonight
Algarna- Patron's Mountain / Fuck Awesome SOJ Arrangement
7th Dragon - Battlefield Swords Bursting / 8-bit

I'm biased as fuck tho; I'd have to search hard to find any Yuzo track I don't love. Fanboy total.

lazygecko

Phantom 2040 doesn't seem bad at all as far as licensed platformers go. The core mechanics are pretty good with the grapple hook and multi-directional aiming. Whether the rest of the game/level design can keep up is another question.

610122-phantom-2040-g8gsom.png

BTails

So I purchased a 3-in-1 power supply for the Genesis 1/Sega CD/32x today. Not the Retro Trio, but the one linked below, as recommended in the Sega CD
aka Brutal Bear
thread.

http://en.retrogamesupply.com

I also grabbed a PSU for my AV Famicom too. Should be nice to get rid of a lot of those giant bricks.

Got this in the mail today... Pretty quick shipping from France!

cnm5yUj.jpg

Haven't tested the AV Famicom PSU yet since mine's still getting modded, but the Sega power supply works great! I used a spare laptop cable (ordered mine without it for a bit of savings), hence why part of the cable is grey.

Still haven't tested 32x power yet since I need to do some maintenance on my 32x, but the Genesis and Sega CD work perfectly! So nice to retire the giant power bricks...

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Phantom 2040 doesn't seem bad at all as far as licensed platformers go. The core mechanics are pretty good with the grapple hook and multi-directional aiming. Whether the rest of the game/level design can keep up is another question.

610122-phantom-2040-g8gsom.png

I own the Snes-version, is it basically the same game?

SKINNER!

Banned
Got this in the mail today... Pretty quick shipping from France!

cnm5yUj.jpg

Haven't tested the AV Famicom PSU yet since mine's still getting modded, but the Sega power supply works great! I used a spare laptop cable (ordered mine without it for a bit of savings), hence why part of the cable is grey.

Still haven't tested 32x power yet since I need to do some maintenance on my 32x, but the Genesis and Sega CD work perfectly! So nice to retire the giant power bricks...

haha, I just ordered my AV famicom PSU yesterday. But yea, their plugs are flawless man!

gwailo

Banned
I've never done a ROM hack before and wouldn't know where to start, but maybe it's possible to add the voices?

Side note: Did Klax have voices? I know it did on the Lynx, and they're both Atari/Tengen titles.

I'm not sure about Klax (it's pretty much unplayable to me because I'm partially colorblind) but all of the other Tengen translations of Atari titles that I've played like Rampart, Gauntlet, and Paperboy all have voice samples so it's odd that RoadBlasters doesn't.

So i'm working on a Disney retrospective for my Youtube channel, and i replayed the Genesis Castle Of Illusion and finally played Castle Of Illusion on the Master System.

Holy crap, i'm surprised no one talks about the Master System version, its really solid in its own right (the picking-up mechanic they added in the 8-bit ports gave it some needed variety) . Plus, the music is still fantastic, though not as good as the Genesis version.

Speaking of, outside of the boss fights themselves (The boss music is so good), the Genesis version still holds up really well too. Game still looks fantastic, it controls really well, and well its not Quackshot, its does what it does well. Its simplistic, but i enjoyed most every level.

lazygecko

I only owned the SMS version and always assumed that I simply prefered it out of biased childhood familiarity. But many people who discovered it later on also seem to have a preference for it.

I think I tried Castle of Illusion on the Game Gear exactly once and got stymied by an autoscrolling section that my 5-year-old brain couldn't keep pace with.

Land of Illusion on the Game Gear, though, that was my shit.

Peagles

I only owned the SMS version and always assumed that I simply prefered it out of biased childhood familiarity. But many people who discovered it later on also seem to have a preference for it.

Same here. I did play the Mega Drive one later but didn't like it as much even as a kid.

We also had Land of Illusion which we loved too, but I haven't replayed that recently like I have with Castle of Illusion. One of the most delightful things for me with both of those games is the weird muscle memory I have for secrets. I started cheaping out Mizrabel without even meaning to :p

Same here. I did play the Mega Drive one later but didn't like it as much even as a kid.

We also had Land of Illusion which we loved too, but I haven't replayed that recently like I have with Castle of Illusion. One of the most delightful things for me with both of those games is the weird muscle memory I have for secrets. I started cheaping out Mizrabel without even meaning to :p

I actually was shocked how good Land Of Illusion was, given the constraints. Master System version for PAL territories is the best way to play it. It also made the letdown that was Legend Of Illusion all the worse.

However, i still love Castle of Illusion, and i think it may have a bigger meaning and importance on the Genesis, but objectively i think the 8-bit version is better.

Beartruck

Was at a game shop this weekend and found a copy of legend of oasis, whip rush and Uncharted waters: new horizons. Whip rush is pretty mediocre but the other 2 games are great!

Still haven't found castle of illusion, but World of illusion was good fun. I think I would almost prefer it since you can play as Donald.

gwailo

Banned
Music is the weapon! As told to you by a 2 second long postage stamp sized "video" of Steven Tyler, who was already irrelevant and looking like your creepy uncle at this point. Hold on, I'm gonna sign in to my AOL account and fire off an angry email.

https://youtu.be/MIE0FBnWSdw

Sweet! Followed him immediately after hearing this. He also has this sick remix of the first stage from The Revenge of Shinobi.

https://soundcloud.com/yuzo_koshiro/shinobi_stage1_remix-sor-style

QONVIyz.gif
Ohh nice find!
Koshiro is a treasure trove of obscure bangers.

Misty Blue - Hold Me Tonight
Algarna- Patron's Mountain / Fuck Awesome SOJ Arrangement
7th Dragon - Battlefield Swords Bursting / 8-bit

I'm biased as fuck tho; I'd have to search hard to find any Yuzo track I don't love. Fanboy total.
I'll be checking these out!

Galdelico

Latest MD pick-up:

VR_zpsbck4faz2.png

I was really curious to try V.R. and I must say, it plays surprisingly well. Actually, It blows my mind to think it's a Mega Drive - even with all the extra chip help - handling all the stuff that happens on screen.

Sapiens

Latest MD pick-up:

VR_zpsbck4faz2.png

I was really curious to try V.R. and I must say, it plays surprisingly well. Actually, It blows my mind to think it's a Mega Drive - even with all the extra chip help - handling all the stuff that happens on screen.

What's really neat about VR MD is that you're still looking at a bunch of 8x8 tiles that are creating the illusion of shifting polygons in real time. Pretty incredible achievement.

What's really neat about VR MD is that you're still looking at a bunch of 8x8 tiles that are creating the illusion of shifting polygons in real time. Pretty incredible achievement.
This is amazing. The SVP chip is doing it all in real time and just feeding the MD tiles to show?

Top Bottom