• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Sapiens

This is amazing. The SVP chip is doing it all in real time and just feeding the MD tiles to show?

I'd like a deeper understanding of this too.

I don't know much more than that the SVP chip is sending those 16 color tiles every 1/15 of a second. It's a colossally cool technical achievement for a system as crusty as the MD was in 1994, chips or no. AM2 are wizards.

What is more interesting is the really unique packaging for the JPN MD release. The plastic on the case has a really nice gloss and the grey casing is also cool. And as always, those full colour manuals are beautiful...

IrishNinja

sexy post right here, following that guy now

Give it 6 years or so

...yeahhh
gotta say, at this point i'm just hoping my investor backing of green hearts & purple diamonds or whatever doesn't yield vaporware
fonzie's approach is fucking shit right up, and he's wrecking a lotta goodwill. from here on out i think i'll go back to just waiting & seeing what happens, like i did with Pier Solar

what a legend; one of the best vgm composers of all time

skrong +1

gwailo

Banned
One of the best arcade translations on the Genesis, which a lot of people slept on when it originally came out because (ironically) it was a conversion of an "old" game. This adds in a cool RPG lite mode that makes the game all the more visible as one of the main influences in the popular Diablo series and (at least to me) one of the best soundtracks on the system. Highly recommended, though you maybe have to be a little high to enjoy this as much as I do :)

2016-07-01%2018.17.02_zpsfnwnszsj.jpg

IrishNinja

^co-signed! i spent like a whole day with that one & Mrs Pac-Man a while back, just two really great arcade ports (the latter having lots of extra stuff too)

One of the best arcade translations on the Genesis, which a lot of people slept on when it originally came out because (ironically) it was a conversion of an "old" game. This adds in a cool RPG lite mode that makes the game all the more visible as one of the main influences in the popular Diablo series and (at least to me) one of the best soundtracks on the system. Highly recommended, though you maybe have to be a little high to enjoy this as much as I do :)

2016-07-01%2018.17.02_zpsfnwnszsj.jpg

I have not managed to have 4 people together at once to do it properly. The RPG-lite mode is super cool though

Gyrian

Leaning on this Gauntlet moment, I'd like to give a big shout out to Tengen's arcade conversions from back then. I never knew at the time, but have now come to appreciate their output so much! I'm rather fond of Slap Fight, Snow Bros, and Paperboy. Yes, they didn't actually code most of this, but at minimum they curated a seriously respectable set of accurate and often enhanced ports. I used to think this kind of thing really got properly started in the Saturn/PS era. :)

Shaneus

Leaning on this Gauntlet moment, I'd like to give a big shout out to Tengen's arcade conversions from back then. I never knew at the time, but have now come to appreciate their output so much! I'm rather fond of Slap Fight, Snow Bros, and Paperboy. Yes, they didn't actually code most of this, but at minimum they curated a seriously respectable set of accurate and often enhanced ports. I used to think this kind of thing really got properly started in the Saturn/PS era. :)
Road Blasters as well.

Phediuk

Pit Fighter was also about 5 trillion times better on Genesis than SNES.

Gyrian

Road Blasters as well.

So I heard! While it gets hit for missing voice samples, it's apparently damn near perfect otherwise. What got it on my radar is that it's apparently the most impressive example of Outrun-like scrolling road tech on the Genesis. I'm definitely grabbing a copy to try it!

Pit Fighter was also about 5 trillion times better on Genesis than SNES.

I played this one so much back when it was new... The nostalgia tint would let me forgive a lot from it.

I still think Sortie is the best Gauntlet IV track.

Everyone wins here, but Transparent Obstacle is the track I still can't quite believe exists at all. Sublime. To my ears, it's like Large Green Meadow from Master of Monsters: incredibly distinct sound, technically supreme, and a really great track all around. :D

gwailo

Banned
Yep, though I managed to beat the SNES version last year...it was hell!!!

I'm one of the few people that legitimately likes Pit Fighter and I couldn't play past the first couple of matches on the SNES version when I rented it back in the day, I actually returned it back to the rental store and asked for a different game.

So I heard! While it gets hit for missing voice samples, it's apparently damn near perfect otherwise. What got it on my radar is that it's apparently the most impressive example of Outrun-like scrolling road tech on the Genesis. I'm definitely grabbing a copy to try it!

I got Road Blasters a couple of weeks ago and it is really good minus the lack of voices. Plays really well. I'm a big fan of Tengen games on Genesis in general. I have a Japanese version of Rampart on the way, Pit Fighter was one of the first games I bought, and even have Hard Drivin :b I'm trying to find Paperboy but the prices are kinda high at the moment.

Gyrian

I got Road Blasters a couple of weeks ago and it is really good minus the lack of voices. Plays really well. I'm a big fan of Tengen games on Genesis in general. I have a Japanese version of Rampart on the way, Pit Fighter was one of the first games I bought, and even have Hard Drivin :b I'm trying to find Paperboy but the prices are kinda high at the moment.

I have a Japanese manual for Hard Drivin' and it is unexpectedly adorable! Much more personality than you might expect, full of cute illustrations. Paperboy turned out pretty damn great, I thought. I really want to grab Marble Madness, which is completely different (and much better) than the version we got in the US.

Timu

I'm one of the few people that legitimately likes Pit Fighter and I couldn't play past the first couple of matches on the SNES version when I rented it back in the day, I actually returned it back to the rental store and asked for a different game.
Wow, you're the only person I know who liked it. The game is broken as hell!

gwailo

Banned
The gameplay is simple and can be cheesed (especially with Ty) but there are a lot of things in the game that I like, such as being able to team up, having weapons, interactive crowds, etc. Plus I always really liked the look of digitized games.

I actually think the Genesis version is the best. The scaling in the arcade version gets to be a bit too much and makes the screen too crowded. I just wish they had used a higher memory in the cartridge so the characters could have been bigger.

Most of the other home versions are just pure ass though and they're pretty much unplayable.

RexRogers

Neo Member
A decent find at Half Price Books. I know Taz-Mania is kind of meh, but I remember seeing it in commercials as a kid and wanting it so bad! The problem was that I had made a critical error by selling my Genesis. Completel in box for $4.99 is too good to pass up.

20160811_1233390.jpg

gwailo

Banned
My local Half Price is pretty useless for Genesis stuff. Last time I was there, the only thing they had was a very battered cart only Contra Hard Corps for the small sum of $45.

My local Half Price is pretty useless for Genesis stuff. Last time I was there, the only thing they had was a very battered cart only Contra Hard Corps for the small sum of $45.

I never find Genesis stuff, but i've had some luck in general hunting stuff there. $30 bucks for PSO EP I and II Plus complete was one of the best days ever

Teknoman

I've had some decent luck. Beyond Oasis for 5 bucks there (cart only). Think it was sometime last year though. You just have to be at the right time honestly.

BTails

Didn't some of the Tengen Genesis carts have faulty ROMs in them? I seem to remember reading about Paperboy carts that became unusuable after a while...

JLynn

I'm in the middle of moving and I realize I had a lot of store credit at a retro game store I frequented. I ended up going for broke and got over $270 worth of goods and ended up paying $1.63 out of pocket. Among them was a boxed Sonic 1, Virtua Racing, and a 6 Button controller. I had my hand on a complete Atomic Runner for $50 however it was in poorer condition compared to the NES I ended up getting.

eXistor

I was finally able to get Gunstar Heroes for a semi-decent price. I never even played the game. I resisted the Sega 3D Classics version because I really wanted to have the original. I might still get that though, but I'm happy to finally have it for the collection.

jEyO8WN.jpg

I was finally able to get Gunstar Heroes for a semi-decent price. I never even played the game. I resisted the Sega 3D Classics version because I really wanted to have the original. I might still get that though, but I'm happy to finally have it for the collection.

jEyO8WN.jpg

nice pickup!

Timu

jEyO8WN.jpg
I still need to get and play that, I always forget to, lol.

BTails

Nice looking copy of Gunstar! One of my biggest gaming regrets was back around the time Playstation was getting big, my local video game store started clearing out their Genesis rentals, and they were selling Gunstar complete for $10 CAD. I told my friend that it was there, and after gettig home, begged my parents for $10 to buy it.

They gave me the $10 and I went back, but of course my friend had already been there and picked it up. We still played it all the time at his place, but that one stings.

Nice looking copy of Gunstar! One of my biggest gaming regrets was back around the time Playstation was getting big, my local video game store started clearing out their Genesis rentals, and they were selling Gunstar complete for $10 CAD. I told my friend that it was there, and after gettig home, begged my parents for $10 to buy it.

They gave me the $10 and I went back, but of course my friend had already been there and picked it up. We still played it all the time at his place, but that one stings.

I still have my childhood copy, but the Fruit-Roll Up is long gone : (

eXistor

Aaand finished! Played on normal, easier than I expected, but maybe it's supposed to be played on hard or expert? Anyway, the game was goddamn amazing. So much variety and very little slowdown. Very impressive technically. The game also oozes charm, which is a Treasure trademark of course, but I still loved all the little details. It pretty much became an instant favorite. Definitely playing this again soon, with the other character and on higher difficulties. Perfect lenght too.

Nice looking copy of Gunstar!

The box is a great shape, the manual is alright, but has a few creases and the cart also has a small tear in the label on top. So overall not in perfect condition, but decent enough.

gwailo

Banned
I know sports games posts usually generate a yawn, but I'm hyped that I got a CIB and sealed Japanese MD version of NBA Jam for $12 via a solid eBay seller. I have been wary of eBay in the past bit I have gotten some good deals lately. Very cool. Gonna fire up the wayback machine this evening and have a few drinks tonight while dunking on fools with Bill Clinton. HE'S ON FIRE!!!

2016-08-10%2018.02.52_zpsjp6yj03g.jpg

NBA Jam is so fun. Cool seeing the JP version; reminds me of the time I got blindsided by Barkley no Power Dunk (Barkley's Shut Up and Jam) on Super Famicom

Galdelico

I know sports games posts usually generate a yawn, but I'm hyped that I got a CIB and sealed Japanese MD version of NBA Jam for $12 via a solid eBay seller. I have been wary of eBay in the past bit I have gotten some good deals lately. Very cool. Gonna fire up the wayback machine this evening and have a few drinks tonight while dunking on fools with Bill Clinton. HE'S ON FIRE!!!

2016-08-10%2018.02.52_zpsjp6yj03g.jpg

How do western games such as NBA Jam play, in their Japanese version? Are they full english? Since I still have to get an adapter for my Japanese MD2/MCD2, sometimes I feel tempted to import some of them - Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Thunderhawk, Eternal Champions... - but I wonder if they'd come fully translated, or maybe even changed due to the different market.

Everyone wins here, but Transparent Obstacle is the track I still can't quite believe exists at all. Sublime. To my ears, it's like Large Green Meadow from Master of Monsters: incredibly distinct sound, technically supreme, and a really great track all around. :D

Oh good, so I guess I found the geeking out over Genesis Hitoshi Sakimoto GAF thread that I've been looking for

Fun Fact: Gauntlet IV was M2's first game.

IIRC, I think I've read that M2 were only teenagers when they made that port? Apparently they were getting advised on Gauntlet IV by Jun Amanai, who also programmed the (highly arcade-accurate) Japanese Mega Drive version of Marble Madness and TurboGrafx version of Klax, as well as a bunch of other arcade-perfect Atari Games/Tengen home ports that never got released that he's been posting footage of to YouTube this year.

gwailo

Banned
How do western games such as NBA Jam play, in their Japanese version? Are they full english? Since I still have to get an adapter for my Japanese MD2/MCD2, sometimes I feel tempted to import some of them - Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Thunderhawk, Eternal Champions... - but I wonder if they'd come fully translated, or maybe even changed due to the different market.

Depends on the game. Most arcade or action games tend to have a lot of English or at least enough that you can play the game ok. NBA Jam is in English except for the messages between quarters. Street Fighter is in English except for the text between matches and at the end. Usually its when you get into adventure or RPG territory where you'll have the whole game be in Japanese only. As for gameplay, usually there aren't huge differences but there's stuff like Contra that adds a health bar, Bare Knuckle 3 is easier and has a boss with bad gay stereotypes, etc.

Galdelico

Depends on the game. Most arcade or action games tend to have a lot of English or at least enough that you can play the game ok. NBA Jam is in English except for the messages between quarters. Street Fighter is in English except for the text between matches and at the end. Usually its when you get into adventure or RPG territory where you'll have the whole game be in Japanese only. As for gameplay, usually there aren't huge differences but there's stuff like Contra that adds a health bar, Bare Knuckle 3 is easier and has a boss with bad gay stereotypes, etc.

Thanks sir.
Yeah, I'm familiar with import gaming on the MD, I collect for the system since almost two decades now :D and my collection - even though it isn't neither huge or exceptionally impressive - is entirely made of Japanese games (I own a MD2 and a MCD2, both unmodded).

My question - sorry I couldn't explain myself better - was about Japanese releases of originally Western-developed games. Titles such as NBA Jam, Eternal Champions, Thunderhawk on the Mega-CD, Jaguar XJ, Aladdin... I watched some videos of the Japanese version of Thunderhawk for the Mega-CD, and it seems like it's completely dubbed in Japanese, making me wonder if the mission objectives would still be clear and understandable, for instance.

I asked because on the one hand I'm still procrastinating the purchase of a Game Genie for my Mega Drive, and a similar device for the Mega-CD too, and on the other one, I often stumble across NTSC-J copies of Western games such as Mortal Kombat CD, Soulstar, Wolfchild, and I feel tempted to grab those, instead of an adapter basically.

Top Bottom