• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Hey that's cool. I'd be interested in one, if we can make it happen here. I don't have a nintendoage account. But I'm scared of worldwide shipping. Does it come with a clamshell? Or is it a cardboard?

You did great, but red Genesis label ruins everything imo.

Yeah, its all Paypal invoices for us anyways. This is a cardboard style box, much like the later Genesis releases.

Also the homebrew we are doing has the blue stripe.

IrishNinja

so yeah, went & ordered a copy of the next run of Beggar Prince (since everyone else wants like double for it), got a paypal confirmation but nothing from the site - emailed them to ask if there's a ballpark on when it might ship, got a letter back from Brandon himself saying "it ships in 2016" so uh cool

In today's "only in Japan" file, we have Mahjong Cop Ryu. If you can't tell why this game is batshit crazy from the title and art, here are a few more reasons why:

1) It's a mahjong game, something which I still cannot really understand despite me being a semi degenerate gambler and watching God of Gamblers and all the sequels.

haha, glad to know it's not just me winging it in yakuza games

3) Your opponents are a collection of barely skirted copyright infringements, including Robocop and (as pictured here) the wrestler Sting. No Ric Flair unfortunately.

...i was interested right up till this point =/

Khaz

so yeah, went & ordered a copy of the next run of Beggar Prince (since everyone else wants like double for it), got a paypal confirmation but nothing from the site - emailed them to ask if there's a ballpark on when it might ship, got a letter back from Brandon himself saying "it ships in 2016" so uh cool

Eh, I'm waiting for the actual release instead of preordering myself, I'm not keen to preorder this sort of stuff. I should get an email whenever the game is available, and Megadrive-GAF should go crazy about it so I should notice.

IrishNinja

Eh, I'm waiting for the actual release instead of preordering myself, I'm not keen to preorder this sort of stuff. I should get an email whenever the game is available, and Megadrive-GAF should go crazy about it so I should notice.

that's a smart move, honestly..you'd think i'd learn after Project Y, but here we are

Galdelico

Aside from this scene not being accessible in the final game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD8xKErGhyA
There wasn't much in the way of censoring.

Although....Don't read unless you want a rather clever joke spoiled.
There's a bordello in one of the towns. In the Western version, it was changed to a Ballet Studio. However, the writers did a great job of making the protagonists as well as the player think otherwise.

Haha, yeah, I know about that place too. :D

And... I didn't know an Action Replay code could restore (or allow you to access to) that scene, at least according to the YT video itself. Anyone had the chance to try it and see if it works? I don't understand if the video is actually showing the effect of said code, or just some rom hack where the scene has been put back in and translated.

Khaz

I just got myself a copy of PAL Soleil (US Crusader of Centy) for not as much as I planned to. In English! Even though the game is completely unoptimised and plays the way it was meant to at 60Hz, there is a lock screen at boot so I need to start the console in 50Hz and switch back during the SEGA logo. Not a big deal, but American players can't enjoy it without a mod. Sad, considering the crazy prices of Crusader of Centy.

The game is one of the few that was translated in French and German, so if you're a language learner it can't do you any harm ;) ebay is filled with cheap German copies that no one wants, and also French copies that no one wants either, but greedy French still want to believe :/

896831SoleilChronoTest04.jpg

Chao

I just got myself a copy of PAL Soleil (US Crusader of Centy) for not as much as I planned to. In English! Even though the game is completely unoptimised and plays the way it was meant to at 60Hz, there is a lock screen at boot so I need to start the console in 50Hz and switch back during the SEGA logo. Not a big deal, but American players can't enjoy it without a mod. Sad, considering the crazy prices of Crusader of Centy.

The game is one of the few that was translated in French and German, so if you're a language learner it can't do you any harm ;) ebay is filled with cheap German copies that no one wants, and also French copies that no one wants either, but greedy French still want to believe :/

896831SoleilChronoTest04.jpg

One of my favorites on Mega Drive, the music in this game is something else!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah I own the german version, even though i dont really know german, its close enough to norwegian that i could get through it fine and even get something out of the story. A beautiful, but not great game imo.

Gyrian

Guys, apologies for the ad, but I am sharing this here because I think you're exactly the crowd to value it. I'm selling a rather large amount of JP Mega Drive games, cases, inserts, and manuals. Extremely handy stuff if you're looking for replacements, upgrades, or maybe re-uniting a game into a complete set.

Here is the Google Doc link listing everything. I have a thread with full details over at Neo-Geo.com, but that's not going to be helpful to you if you're not already a member there. I'll figure out a way to share that piece with GAF without creating another thread, if you're all interested. Let me know if you have any questions!

A few images of what's for sale:

5fC0VvZ.jpg

Euu7JLI.jpg

rgkMHW1.jpg

tzwNNbG.jpg

udlALbq.jpg

Gyrian

Years ago, I picked up a huge lot of Mega Drive cases complete with inserts and manuals but without the games (there were around 75 in total, as I remember it). The idea was to have replacements, upgrades, and hopefully hunt for loose games to complete sets. In this spirit, and because I would have loved an option like this back then, I am offering up everything individually.

Gyrian

I'm thankful for these rather obvious bootlegs. It sucks that this will still work on some, but it remains a lazy deception. If you want to see truly horrifying, read up on NEO GEO AES bootlegs.

gwailo

Banned
Picked up a couple of Japanese Mega Drive shumps as a birthday present for myself. I'm not that great at the genre but I dig the games. Yeah yeah before you say anything I know it's not MUSHA but this version was less expensive and I like the cover art better. The ebay seller threw in TFII as a freebie - very cool to get a bonus like that, especially after dealing with a potential scammer lately.

2016-08-23%2017.15.04_zpsqfgayyn5.jpg

Galdelico

Wow, congrats! JP Aleste - other than being pretty awesome - is quite expensive too, so you may have gotten a very good deal on it. Prices range widely, but it's still around the $150 mark iirc, ignoring those random sellers who just push it through the floor with 300+ price tags, because hey why not.

oh wow! thunder force II for free! that's one of my favorite games because it's challenging and the first 16-bit shooter i played ever =)

compared to nes shooters like gradius, this was another level for a home console. i always got annoyed with the rate of fire with early shooters (gradius' two bullet shot limit per screen) especially when getting a gradius "double" i hated.
thunder force II rate of fire and the number bullets shots that can be fired at one time just floored me.

Gyrian

Gyrian makes me want to print out JP covers for like my whole collection, damn those are sexy

They are fantastic, and the authors know it! Many of the earlier games actually credit the illustrator on the back cover. :D

Picked up a couple of Japanese Mega Drive shumps as a birthday present for myself. I'm not that great at the genre but I dig the games. Yeah yeah before you say anything I know it's not MUSHA but this version was less expensive and I like the cover art better. The ebay seller threw in TFII as a freebie - very cool to get a bonus like that, especially after dealing with a potential scammer lately.

I hate to ask given your last sentence, but are these reproductions? The cases are not standard, and the insert colors look a bit off (could easily be the picture, however). Unlikely for TF2, but MUSHA Aleste is definitely being bootlegged left and right now.

Shaneus

When's the vote going up for next month? Unless it's already unanimous that the next game is going to be Sub-Terrania, which I'm totally cool with FWIW.

BTails

I got some free time this evening, and instead of playing McDonalds (Yeah, I know...), I had a blast with Sunsoft's Batman. Being a huge fan of the NES and Gameboy Sunsoft Batman games, I never played the Genesis entry.

...It's awesome! Great music, graphics are good for an early Genesis title, and it's just fun to beat down wave after wave of enemies. Figuring out patterns for a couple bosses was satisfying, though being able to spam Batarangs to defeat others was welcomed.

I made it close to the end in what I believe is the final stage: I got through a "boss rush", and was climbing the Cathedral spires when I finally got Game Over with no continues left. I'm guessing The Joker was pretty close.

I may revisit this one later on and try to complete it... It was pretty darn enjoyable.

Khaz

Maybe at this point we can say that the fifth game has to be one that was nominated earlier (but not last month)? So that people will be less wary of nominating a previous nominee.

Bar81

I got some free time this evening, and instead of playing McDonalds (Yeah, I know...), I had a blast with Sunsoft's Batman. Being a huge fan of the NES and Gameboy Sunsoft Batman games, I never played the Genesis entry.

...It's awesome! Great music, graphics are good for an early Genesis title, and it's just fun to beat down wave after wave of enemies. Figuring out patterns for a couple bosses was satisfying, though being able to spam Batarangs to defeat others was welcomed.

I made it close to the end in what I believe is the final stage: I got through a "boss rush", and was climbing the Cathedral spires when I finally got Game Over with no continues left. I'm guessing The Joker was pretty close.

I may revisit this one later on and try to complete it... It was pretty darn enjoyable.

It doesn't hold up in retrospect (it was awesome back in the day - still remember some dude in Toys r Us checkout line showing me the import screens in a JP mag he had before it was confirmed for the US) but it's still enjoyable if you temper expectations.

I hate to ask given your last sentence, but are these reproductions? The cases are not standard, and the insert colors look a bit off (could easily be the picture, however). Unlikely for TF2, but MUSHA Aleste is definitely being bootlegged left and right now.

Agreed that they don't look right - colors are off and cases are wrong not to mention you can see the frayed edges on the TFII insert where they unprofessionally chopped it. Highly suspect.

gwailo

Banned
Ugh. I'm color blind so I didn't catch that. I think I'm done buying stuff from the internet for a while. Need to play more of the stuff I already have anyway.

Bar81

Ugh. I'm color blind so I didn't catch that. I think I'm done buying stuff from the internet for a while. Need to play more of the stuff I already have anyway.

I'm assuming you purchased from ebay or via paypal. Just file a claim and return them.

And... I didn't know an Action Replay code could restore (or allow you to access to) that scene, at least according to the YT video itself. Anyone had the chance to try it and see if it works? I don't understand if the video is actually showing the effect of said code, or just some rom hack where the scene has been put back in and translated.

The scene was never actually removed from the game.
An NPC is placed in front of the entrance to her room, so you can't get in.

Before the ESRB, Sega of America had the Videogame Rating Council. This began in June 1993. Landstalker (released shortly afterwards) in the US had a "GA" rating, which is basically kids to adults. What likely happened is that the scene was translated, but then word got out about the new rating system. Leaving that somewhat provocative scene in the game probably would have gotten it slapped with an MA-13, limiting its possible appeal/sales.

IrishNinja

: (

I'm willing to try it again, but i just can not get into that game, and i've tried.

same
its one of those i dig cause it's doing things differently, but i haven't come around to that different way just yet! see also: shadowgate, herzog zwei, maybe gain ground

ps why is Flicky not like a $5 game

BTails

same
its one of those i dig cause it's doing things differently, but i haven't come around to that different way just yet! see also: shadowgate, herzog zwei, maybe gain ground

Shadowgate? Fam, that shit is lit. You need to revisit it.
But Uninvited is the GOAT MacVenture

IrishNinja

it's on my list! i really do gotta figure out how to survive the first few hours though

*edit whooops i meant shadowrun, hahaha

Uninvited is great but im totally stuck, saved without enough time to do much and i just keep dying. might move onto Deja Vu sometime!

Gyrian

Sorry to rip that bandaid. Better to know now. And definitely consider Bar81's advice: if this was on eBay/PayPal, you will be fine. I'm still at a loss that someone would bootleg TFII? Maybe they just replaced a ruined insert with a bad printout? Makes me hesitate on my long distance diagnosis. If you have pictures of the cartridges & manuals, we can better help you authenticate.

Conezays

The guy admitted that they're boots so I'm just gonna file a claim with eBay.

Do Everdrives work with model 2 Genesis?

Sorry to hear you've had some bad luck. Furthering this, if you're thinking about getting an Everdrive I'd order from https://krikzz.com/store/ just to mitigate the chances of more BS for you. There definitely are a few knockoffs on Ebay floating around, etc.

Galdelico

That's one thing I started noticing on Italian ebay too... Loads and loads of 'speacial/custom/PLEASE-READ-DESCRIPTION' dodgy MD auctions. On the one hand, it's pretty much impossible to buy a bootleg accidentally, but on the other one, those things are everywhere. Neo Geo aside, is it the same for other consoles?

PS - Sorry to read your story, gwallo. It's sad that some nasty scammer is leading you to quit collecting original carts.

Bar81

Sorry to hear but glad you bought on ebay so you can get your money back. Given how prices are going, if you just want to play the games the everdrive is the way to go.

Top Bottom