• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Seeing the prices of Mutant League Hockey and thinking back to that one time I was at funcoland and saw a bunch of copies for just a couple bucks each is killing me right now.

I bought 3D Ballz with the few dollars I had at the time.

ugh

Darkest timeline

Edit: So, i'm playing a bunch of the Disney Sega games for videos i'm doing, and i finally made it back to The Lion King. I'd just like to say, even as an adult, The Stampede level is still one of the most tense sequences in any 16-bit game for me. The sound, the music (which sucks in the SNES version), the look, the quick reaction times needed, and that end when Scar just goes "Kill Him" leading into one of the worst levels in the game. I have so many memories of that sequence, as i played it at night and i just got enveloped into the game. I really need to beat it though, for 6-year old me (The Level In Question)

Beartruck

Seeing the prices of Mutant League Hockey and thinking back to that one time I was at funcoland and saw a bunch of copies for just a couple bucks each is killing me right now.

I bought 3D Ballz with the few dollars I had at the time.

ugh

If it makes you feel any better, I once passed on a copy of Gun Nac for $25. Now it's worth $200.

gwailo

Banned
It's Shinobi Saturday! Getting some quality day drinking in while playing the SMS version of Shinobi via my new Everdrive. A bonus is that I had to get a real Genesis (scored a model 2 for $1 on eBay) to use the Everdrive instead of the AtGames clone I was using, so the games look and sound a lot better.

20160903_121154_zpslljef2e0.jpg

BTails

It's Shinobi Saturday! Getting some quality day drinking in while playing the SMS version of Shinobi via my new Everdrive. A bonus is that I had to get a real Genesis (scored a model 2 for $1 on eBay) to use the Everdrive instead of the AtGames clone I was using, so the games look and sound a lot better.

Plus, you can't go wrong with a Goose Island beer either!

So I've been playing a lot of different sports games, just because nobody cares about them, and I just found how disposable they normally are sort of interesting

And I got PGA tour III.

It's a pretty great golf game. But the swinging in it is kind of hilarious. Like, you have to line up your shot pixel perfect. If you are one off, you shot fucking FLIES into the stratosphere into the complete opposite direction. Some of it I think is part of the genesis' difficultly accurately displaying 3D space, because the ball never seems to go as far off track as the drive view makes it look like it is; but it is still pretty funny watching you nearly perfectly time your swing only for it to look like it freaking flew 88 MPH back in time

noquarter

Got Fire Shark last week and played it some, decent shooter. Really like most everything about it, especially the way that the plane lands at the end of the level and than takes right back off. Also sort of like that death happens a second or two after being hit, like your plane is crashing, so you can take out a few more things before dying. Only played for about 15 minutes since I was getting ready to go out, but look forward to going back to it.

Question for the big shmup fans in here, is MUSHA five times better than Robo Aleste? Thinking about trying to get a copy, but don't know I I cam really justify spending that much money on it.

Also, thanks to the Road Rash mention above played the Sega CD version some. Think my save might have been on my other system, but don't mind starting over. Still think the soundtrack makes that game, and has made Road Rash and grunge the same as Crazy Taxi and Offsping to me.

Got Fire Shark last week and played it some, decent shooter. Really like most everything about it, especially the way that the plane lands at the end of the level and than takes right back off. Also sort of like that death happens a second or two after being hit, like your plane is crashing, so you can take out a few more things before dying. Only played for about 15 minutes since I was getting ready to go out, but look forward to going back to it.

Question for the big shmup fans in here, is MUSHA five times better than Robo Aleste? Thinking about trying to get a copy, but don't know I I cam really justify spending that much money on it.

Also, thanks to the Road Rash mention above played the Sega CD version some. Think my save might have been on my other system, but don't mind starting over. Still think the soundtrack makes that game, and has made Road Rash and grunge the same as Crazy Taxi and Offsping to me.

The soundtrack plays a huge part into why i like the Sega CD version so much.

Also, i always preferred Robo Aleste to MUSHA.

Bumhead

Banned
I had a lovely copy of Streets of Rage arrive today from eBay.

What a game this is.

You're a dude. Here's 3 lives and some levels, go beat up other dudes. There's some pipes and bottles, chicken if you need health, and if you get real stuck this here button calls in a tactical air strike of the whole area. Oh and the music is awesome.

Conezays

Is MUSHA worth getting on Wii Virtual Console?

If you're playing on CRT/PVM, yes. I liked it enough to recommend it to my brother who lives in a different city. I legitimately couldn't get through stage 1 due to the lag on his HDTV playing MUSHA, lol. I had to send a video to him of me playing it back home on my setup to prove that I wasn't completely useless at the game.

noquarter

I grew up with Robo Aleste : (

Is MUSHA worth getting on Wii Virtual Console?

I prefer Robo Aleste as well. It's just an all-around better game, price aside, though the much lower price is nice as well.
Didn't even realize it was on the Wii Virtual Console, thanks. Looks like I should pick it up there first and see for myself. Played the shit out of Robo Aleste when I got it like 20 years ago.

Teknoman

Its odd that there arent alot of "recent" reviews for the game. Im surprised Bullet Heaven hasnt touched on it. Its got to be a great game with everyone mentioning it all the time for Genesis shooters, but what makes it so good exactly (just fishing for someone to write a detailed post lol)?

That being said, I havent played Gunstar Heroes in a really long time, but when I do, I usually play with Free Shot Hero. Been playing abit today with Fixed Shot, and while it takes some getting used to, he's actually pretty fun to use / makes you use melee moves more.

Hell, I had no idea Bravoo Man regenerated energy when he does that flippy flying spin move.

i mean
of course ABF likes robo aleste better

I didn't play either game in the '90s, so my opinions of both are based on having first played them in emulation in the early '00s, and of course after that on actual consoles (though I don't have Blazing Lazers for Genesis, it's too expensive, but that Wii VC release is very nice...). My first impression of Robo Aleste was that I really liked it, while MUSHA was more like 'this is good, but Robo Aleste seems better.' And that impression stuck.

But yes, both games are really good. All of Compile's 4th-gen TV console shmups are incredible, or at least all of the vertical ones are, for sure. Blazing Lazers is one of the best HuCard TG16 games, etc.

Teknoman

So finally beat Gunstar Heroes for the first time. Golden Silver's first appearance was here? Great high action run n gun of course. The background animations and details are great, especially the sunset and space stages. I've got a few nitpicky parts about the end. The last couple of levels went on for too long, and there should've been checkpoints in between the final boss rush.

Glad there are infinite continues, I cant see 1CC'ing this at all. I wonder what the Hard / Expert mode differences are.

So finally beat Gunstar Heroes for the first time. Golden Silver's first appearance was here? Great high action run n gun of course. The background animations and details are great, especially the sunset and space stages. I've got a few nitpicky parts about the end. The last couple of levels went on for too long, and there should've been checkpoints in between the final boss rush.

Glad there are infinite continues, I cant see 1CC'ing this at all. I wonder what the Hard / Expert mode differences are.

Hard mode is the only right way to play, since its the only time Seven Force is truly SEVEN Force. Worth it for that alone. Though there are not any major differences i can think of outside of that.

The game definitely in its second half, even though the presentation of the boss rush level is top notch, and the shooter segment is a nice break, but even as my favorite game, i can understand its (few) flaws and issues

Hard mode is the only right way to play, since its the only time Seven Force is truly SEVEN Force. Worth it for that alone. Though there are not any major differences i can think of outside of that.

The game definitely in its second half, even though the presentation of the boss rush level is top notch, and the shooter segment is a nice break, but even as my favorite game, i can understand its (few) flaws and issues

i have a feeling you like gunstar heros =D not sure why though..... =)

gwailo

Banned
Probably the last repros I will get. Tired of dealing with sketchy sellers and the prices are getting too high, plus having an Everdrive now renders these things kinda obsolete.

2016-09-03%2016.39.01_zps3jfkw31k.jpg

Top Bottom