• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

I have the unpopular opinion of preferring the Genesis tunes to Jacques' soundtrack, but the real killer is the Saturn's load times.
Funny, I thought my opinion that the Jacques soundtrack was overall better was the unpopular one, given how much love you see the Genesis soundtrack getting.

Can't really knock it, though, Tatsuyuki Maeda is a good composer, and Jun Senoue's contributions are... well, outside of the special stage theme and Spring Stadium, they're workable. But, well, the Saturn version has Rusty Ruins, so...

Oh, as far as load times go, though, there's always the old Windows 98 version. Install to hard drive, and boom, load times gone. Though, I think you need DXWindower or something to get it to work on modern computers, and even then, its special stages aren't as good as the Saturn version's (still above the Genesis version's, though, man those are crap).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
musha aleste get!

ggpJMpw.jpg

bonus pic: every get!

finally getting close to grabbing every md game i really wanted since i started. new job definitely helped kick it into gear :)

Galdelico

Great collection!
You own several titles I'm still looking for to add to my collection... Leynos (which is getting oddly expensive, now), Zero Wing, and the two Puyo Puyo (which are not really that easy to find complete, with all their odd registration cards and extra papers included).

Also, is MWIV playable/beatable, in Japanese?

Galdelico

if you don't know japanese?...mostly. there is one part later in the game with a bunch of riddles that you probably couldn't finish without a faq. that's it though, really.

That doesn't sound too bad. I bought the XBLA collection, but I never really played MWIV on there, because I wanted to experience it on the Mega Drive.

Maybe the the Leynos price increase is due to the PS4/PC remake?

Eh, it could be the case, even though it's going up since quite a while now...

gwailo

Banned
Thought I was getting the Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) version but got the English version instead. It's an ok game but gets pretty repetitive and missing the blood spurts after each kill takes things down a notch. Probably should quit drinking and bidding on eBay.

2016-08-09%2009.56.34_zpsurvd5tfa.jpg

Khaz

So there's this thread about the Castle of illusion remake being delisted tomorrow, how does it compare to the original?

So there's this thread about the Castle of illusion remake being delisted tomorrow, how does it compare to the original?

So, im working on a video for the game right now, and i can say that the remake is really solid. I do feel that 3D does take a bit away from the art style, but the platforming is good, the music is fantastic, the boss fights are a bit better, but the levels feel a bit more generic.

Thought I was getting the Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) version but got the English version instead. It's an ok game but gets pretty repetitive and missing the blood spurts after each kill takes things down a notch. Probably should quit drinking and bidding on eBay.

2016-08-09%2009.56.34_zpsurvd5tfa.jpg

awesome game!!!!

AmyS

Here is International Outlook and a 2-page spread on Air Buster from EGM #20 -- March 1991.

EJDsX0f.jpg

oyXigcV.jpg

Edit: That seems to be the second version of Heavy Unit on the Mega Drive, the one by Toho. It was titled Heavy Unit: Mega Drive Special.

The first version was also previewed in International Outlook - EGM #10 -- May 1990.

izDeiAp.jpg

Air Buster fact-file:

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here is International Outlook and a 2-page spread on Air Buster from EGM #20 -- March 1991.
Hey Amy, sorry if this is off-topic, but I want to ask, since you're always digging up those old EGMs...

I have a question about Bubsy 3D. xD According to Wikipedia, they gave 3.25/10 to the game and trashed it, but the blurb on the game cover seems to quote a favourable review. Was the quote strongly edited and taken out of context? Do you happen to have that actual EGM issue with that review in it?

AmyS

Hey Amy, sorry if this is off-topic, but I want to ask, since you're always digging up those old EGMs...

I have a question about Bubsy 3D. xD According to Wikipedia, they gave 3.25/10 to the game and trashed it, but the blurb on the game cover seems to quote a favourable review. Was the quote strongly edited and taken out of context? Do you happen to have that actual EGM issue with that review in it?

Had to guess what month EGM reviewed Bubsy 3D. Turns out it was in EGM issue 89 - December 1996. Link.

Retromags had the issue. I downloaded it and will post the review in the PS1 appreciation thread.

Edit: Here

Timu

I think them praising the game on the cover was fake, giving that game a good score is impossible!!!

The Genesis Road Rash games... I know they're popular, but I have never liked them much myself. The terrible framerate and often frustrating gameplay do not go well together.

The CD game is the first one right? I don't have the Genesis version so might as well check it out. Bit pricey though, so I may have to wait on it a bit

What do you mean, 'the first one'? The Sega CD Road Rash game is an original title, not a port. It's sort of a down-port of the 3DO game, as it shares that games' music, interface, and level themes, but the SCD game's Genesis Road Rash-style gameplay and in-game visuals makes it completely different (and not quite as good) as the 3DO game. And versus the Genesis games, gameplay is similar but the level settings are different. Performance-wise, while it does use some of the SCD's hardware power for sprite scaling, unfortunately the framerate is barely any better on SCD than it is on Genesis, and unlike the second or third Genesis games there is no split-screen multiplayer support. It is the only version which allows the licensed soundtrack during races, though; the 3DO version and its ports stream the track data, so they can't stream the soundtrack too.

noquarter

Yeah, sorry, the Sega CD is supposed to be a port of the 3DO game and is supposed to be the same as the PS game and Saturn game.

It doesn't have split screen, but became my favorite version because you get the soundtrack when you olay the game.

For 2-player I always preferred Road Rash 2, but would rather just pass the controller and listen to the soundtrack.

The Genesis Road Rash games... I know they're popular, but I have never liked them much myself. The terrible framerate and often frustrating gameplay do not go well together.

What do you mean, 'the first one'? The Sega CD Road Rash game is an original title, not a port. It's sort of a down-port of the 3DO game, as it shares that games' music, interface, and level themes, but the SCD game's Genesis Road Rash-style gameplay and in-game visuals makes it completely different (and not quite as good) as the 3DO game. And versus the Genesis games, gameplay is similar but the level settings are different. Performance-wise, while it does use some of the SCD's hardware power for sprite scaling, unfortunately the framerate is barely any better on SCD than it is on Genesis, and unlike the second or third Genesis games there is no split-screen multiplayer support. It is the only version which allows the licensed soundtrack during races, though; the 3DO version and its ports stream the track data, so they can't stream the soundtrack too.

Oh I see, that's interesting. Always assumed that was just a port of the first genesis game. I'll probably pick it up then next time I have more money to burn; never really played split screen in this game anyhow

Rich!

Everdrive MD seems to be out of stock everywhere apart from Krikzz...exchange rate to GBP isn't hot right now.

Wish I had bought one a couple of months ago when I intended to originally

did you get your copy on steam? how is it?

my ps4 pre-order status from amazon hasn't moved =/

Not yet. Taking the plunge tonight.

Here's an explanation about the Amazon situation.
FYI, if you preordered from Amazon, according to one of their reps they have been sold out of stock since August 5th and aren't expecting new stock to arrive from the manufacturer until 15 days from now, so if you preordered it after the 5th there'll be a delay getting it from Amazon at that 15.99 prime price. Looks like some third party sellers have it up though.

If you're on Prime, you might get a free month extension out of it.

Conezays

So uh, Jake has sort of disappeared, are we just forgoing a Game Club pick for September?

Hope everything's alright with Jake. Surely nothing more pressing in one's life than Genesis Game of the Month :p

I'm down for anything, so whatever people want to go with. I think shorter platformers/shmups are always nice as more people can get on board and actually finish some of them.

Well, since he's not here to say otherwise... I guess it's Sub-Terrania!

Hope everything's alright with Jake. Surely nothing more pressing in one's life than Genesis Game of the Month :p

I'm down for anything, so whatever people want to go with. I think shorter platformers/shmups are always nice as more people can get on board and actually finish some of them.

i think Jake is still with us... hmm perhaps he's on vacation but i do miss his layouts of the game of the month polls =)

Not yet. Taking the plunge tonight.

Here's an explanation about the Amazon situation.

If you're on Prime, you might get a free month extension out of it.

oh thanks for the tip! i saw that it's 10% off on steam store direct

Seeing the prices of Mutant League Hockey and thinking back to that one time I was at funcoland and saw a bunch of copies for just a couple bucks each is killing me right now.

I bought 3D Ballz with the few dollars I had at the time.

ugh

Top Bottom