• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

I would, but I honestly dont know the first thing about how its done.

Also is Ghouls 'N Ghosts pretty accessible?

yeah me neither or i would've volunteered a while back. Jake From State Farm really went all out. if you're reading this Jake, we appreciate your work =)

i pm'd Irish and he's tied up this week but will try and help hopefully next week if he's free, maybe you and him can get this game of the month poll back up and running.

Ghouls N' Ghosts complete is about 35-45 USD so cart only is definitely around low 20's

i'm down for that as well as sixteen-bit's nomination:

edit: i just saw your post Irish
I was gonna nominate Crack Down, but this is perfect for October!

Game of the Month nominees:
1. Decap Attack
2. Ghouls N' Ghosts
3. Crack Down

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Would you guys object to us nominating Master System-games as well? I guess most people here either own a Power Base Converter or Everdrive.

IrishNinja

Eh, there's an SMS thread but sadly it'll never see a GOTM club thing, so personally I don't mind!

Really do like October for horror games though, maybe I shoulda said Ghostbusters

Morfeo

i don't mind SMS eother, what game are you thinking of?

1. Decap Attack
2. Ghouls N' Ghosts
3. Crack Down
4. General Chaos

I was thinking about Golvellius, since I just got that. But the Master System has loads of underrated games that would be fun to play. But Im nominating that if Im allowed!

I was thinking about Golvellius, since I just got that. But the Master System has loads of underrated games that would be fun to play. But Im nominating that if Im allowed!

i just threw it in (i hope that's okay with everyone) just making up a list till we get a voting poll functional =)

1. Decap Attack
2. Ghouls N' Ghosts
3. Crack Down
4. General Chaos
5. Golvellius (Sega Master System/Mark III)

Gyrian

October really deserves a game with some kind of horror theme. Irish, I will 100% back you up for a Crackdown nomination for the next month. :)

Eh, there's an SMS thread but sadly it'll never see a GOTM club thing, so personally I don't mind!

Really do like October for horror games though, maybe I shoulda said Ghostbusters

October really deserves a game with some kind of horror theme. Irish, I will 100% back you up for a Crackdown nomination for the next month. :)

Irish you want to change horror theme game? i'm so good with anything for October =)

man, splatterhouse 2,3 and genesis Ghostbusters commanding huge monies... i don't think i can afford those! (i don't have everdrive but have been purchasing each game of the month faithfully)

everyone still ok with the $30 and under limit?
crosses fingers in hope =P

Galdelico

Any of you guys with a Powerbase Mini FM can confirm if it runs PAL Master System games on an NTSC Genesis/Mega Drive, without the need of additional adapters?
And... If so, does that produce any major bugs/glitches (I have no idea if/how many PAL MS games were optimized, or if they ran slower/with squashed ratio in general)?
Thanks in advance!

yeah, im not sure if ghostbusters is still sub $30 but if so, please make that my nom! and agreed, that cap on game value is a good idea

It's not.
it looks like average sold prices of ghostbusters complete is 60-75
35-45 cart only

i'll just throw Ghostbusters for Crackdown, unless we have another suggestion

Shame Sub-Terrania was never made the official September game, I feel like a few people missed out :(

i think alot of us voted for sub terrania last month, the volunteer who normally creates the monthly poll + asks the mods to update the page had to step away due to being really busy at the moment.

hopefully this month goes smoother.

1. Decap Attack
2. Ghouls N' Ghosts
3. Ghostbusters
4. General Chaos

Conezays

1. Decap Attack
2. Ghouls N' Ghosts
3. Ghostbusters
4. General Chaos

Nice picks! Curious to try out Decap Attack as others have mentioned a few times.

Side point: Sonic on the Master System is pretty fun IMO (gotta love Genesis backwards compatibility). An interesting change of gameplay compared to the Genesis ones and nice graphics/music; I remember playing the Game Gear versions lots when I was young. A quick and dirty pic:

Timu

i just checked sold listings on ebay and see what people have been paying for.
I tend to use buy it now for current prices, and well, there aren't that many copies left, though price ranges are around it, most are still 40 and above. I've already played and beaten the game years ago and enjoyed it so I guess that's ok if higher than usual for what we do here.

Amazon prices are scary right now for this game.

Cody_D165

Banned
Well gaf, no manual, but I had to snag it at that price.

L7KSDgJ.jpg

Looking forward to this one =)

gwailo

Banned
Spending Friday night playing one of the worst Genesis games ever - and this is coming from someone that has Pit Fighter in their top 5. Even the delicious Spotted Cow imported from cheesehead land isn't helping.

2016-10-07%2017.49.41_zpsatpw4go7.jpg

Timu

Spending Friday night playing one of the worst Genesis games ever - and this is coming from someone that has Pit Fighter in their top 5. Even the delicious Spotted Cow imported from cheesehead land isn't helping.

2016-10-07%2017.49.41_zpsatpw4go7.jpg
Yeah it's one of the worst Genesis games ever based on an arcade game(that's better but still not good), but Genesis also has Rise of the Robots, Slaughter Sport, Sword of Sodan and Dark Castle as the worst games on the system.

gwailo

Banned
Oh shit, I had to play Sword of Sodan tonight. Forgot it was one of the games that I tried to return to Blockbuster because it was so horrible. Fuck that potion system and those spikes would kill you for jabbing your big toe.

Yeah it's one of the worst Genesis games ever based on an arcade game(that's better but still not good), but Genesis also has Rise of the Robots, Slaughter Sport, Sword of Sodan and Dark Castle as the worst games on the system.

Wait, did Rise of the Robots hit the Mega Drive in PAL

Cause it never happened in the US

I swear to God I remember seeing it for the Sega CD at a Babbage's as a kid, too. Saw the cyborg guy getting impaled through the chest on the silver T-1000-esque bot's scythe-like appendage, which turned me off to the game entirely. (Just as well, because the game's shit.)

There's only one problem with this story: Rise of the Robots never came out on Sega CD. And yet, the image is pretty vivid in my memory - it was definitely a Sega CD longbox. Might've been a preview case for a version that was in development and thus available for pre-order, but never came to pass, I dunno.

Morfeo

What was the september-game? And the october-game? I havent been able to play Mega Drive for a while since I broke mine a while ago, but it is now with a local guy for soldering back some wires, so I will hopefully be able to join for the november-game.

Lynd7

So I have a PAL MegaDrive II. Getting a 60hz switch installed would play US games correctly yes? No downsides compared to a Genesis?

Top Bottom