• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Teknoman

lol damn it, I was trying to hurry up and leave for work.

At any rate, need 2 more nominees:

1. Earthworm Jim
2. Crackdown
3.Shining in the Darkness
4.????
5.????

Or at least 1 more since we're running late.

IrishNinja

i already picked one! or else id say Gain Ground & Shadowrun, cause i really enjoy the former & wanna learn the latter one day

for real, i know price is a factor, but i'd love to have a game club pick that had us all learning a tricky game (Herzog Zwei, Shadowrun etc) rather than just picking the most popular game and not enough of us playing it

IrishNinja

i bought whichever version mega everdrive he sold like 3 years ago, never looked back - as a huge genny fan, it was one of my smartest purchases.

unless future versions see more stable savestates, i'm not likely to upgrade. it's a fantastic device.

b3b0p

How about DecapAttack?

decapattack.jpg

decapattack-2a.png

decapattack-4.png

decapattack-5.png

decapattack-12.png

Teknoman

Well since we got a late start, we can roll with these:

1. Earthworm Jim
2. Crackdown
3.Shining in the Darkness
4.Combat Cars
5. Decap Attack

And then plan out how December should go. I'll put together a post with the form.

gwailo

Banned
No Vikings game today, so I'm spending the morning playing the beta of Street Fighter II for Genesis (aka Street Fighter II Turbo). Falls somewhere between the arcade Champion Edition and the "special" one that was eventually the official release. A little rough (missing some of the voices and the colors are off) but still a good version. Actually quite a bit harder than the released version.

IMG_20161030_101041_zpsdtoetnm0.jpg

Galdelico

No Vikings game today, so I'm spending the morning playing the beta of Street Fighter II for Genesis (aka Street Fighter II Turbo). Falls somewhere between the arcade Champion Edition and the "special" one that was eventually the official release. A little rough (missing some of the voices and the colors are off) but still a good version. Actually quite a bit harder than the released version.

Didn't it have alot more frames of animations than the released game, though?

Teknoman

mEe9Pt2.png

Although this is fairly short notice, and its probably best to let this vote at least run until next Sunday, since we'll be to plan something more substantial for December (or at least have a longer voting period), we've got a set of 5 nominees for the November game of the month:

VSOxY2f.jpg

"He has no spine, but he's all guts! Get ready for 24 MEGS OF BLISTERING ACTION in this intergalactic action platformer!"

1jIhEK2.jpg

"Take control of crack agents Ben or Andy as you navigate maniacal mazes filled with murderous mechanical monsters to stop a mad scientist from taking over the world!"

w56ZNjz.jpg

"Keep your head in the game! Join Dr. Frank N. Stein's latest creation Chuck D. Head, in his quest to defeat the evil Max D. Cap and his demonic denizens of doom, and reunite Skeleton Island in this perilous platforming adventure!"

NILskBk.png

"Only the strong survive, Sunday drivers get wasted! In this top down, deadly destructive race to the finish, kick some asphalt and take the pole position!"

3kWGuov.png

"Tragedy has struck the Kingdom of Thornwood and the princess has been kidnapped by the evil Dark Sol! Sharpen your blade and venture into one dangerous dungeon with your friends Pyro and Milo, rescue the princess, and put an end to his treacherous plans!"

Go ahead, set the 68000 HEART ON FIRE

Teknoman

Wish I had the time / access to good footage to make the gifs though. Thats one thing I really liked about Jake's posts.

EDIT: On a side note, finished McDonald's Treasureland Adventure today. I really dont think the Treasureland in the title is referring to the search for treasure, but actually that it's the McDonald's characters someone traveled to Treasure's actual world lol. Just everything in the game is so Treasure, its crazy. Would be cool if they had the chance to make more licensed titles back then...could've seen Cap'n Crunch fighting an interdimensional battleship or something.

Conezays

Wish I had the time / access to good footage to make the gifs though. Thats one thing I really liked about Jake's posts.

EDIT: On a side note, finished McDonald's Treasureland Adventure today. I really dont think the Treasureland in the title is referring to the search for treasure, but actually that it's the McDonald's characters someone traveled to Treasure's actual world lol. Just everything in the game is so Treasure, its crazy. Would be cool if they had the chance to make more licensed titles back then...could've seen Cap'n Crunch fighting an interdimensional battleship or something.

Hah, good catch with the "Treasureland" title. I hadn't even thought of that.

gwailo

Banned
Had enough of the idiots on the MNF pregame show, so I'm killing time by killing demons in one of the best horror themed games ever, Splatterhouse 3.

IMG_20161031_192613_zpssydsmejq.jpg

I mean, it's a system-on-a-chip, and doesn't support many of the expansions the Genesis itself does (Power Base Converter, Sega CD, 32X, SVP used in Virtua Racing, lock-on with Sonic & Knuckles (!)), so it's kind of dead-on-arrival as far as I'm concerned.

IrishNinja

I mean, it's a system-on-a-chip, and doesn't support many of the expansions the Genesis itself does (Power Base Converter, Sega CD, 32X, SVP used in Virtua Racing, lock-on with Sonic & Knuckles (!)), so it's kind of dead-on-arrival as far as I'm concerned.

yeah, i know people are down on the lack of HDMI too...honestly, it's kinda neat in that i'd love to have the box for it, and at least it's better than that ATgames shit!

Real thing or gtfo. I'd never go for one of those ersatz Megadrives. They don't sound the same, they don't feel the same, they don't play the same. What's the point?

gwailo

Banned
For the AtGames ones, it's because they are relatively cheap and easily available in a lot of stores like Walmart, Target, etc. - so impulse buys for Christmas presents and the like. That's why my wife got one for me last year. Casual users really aren't going to notice or care about any differences between that and a real system. Most people aren't going to play anything more than the include games anyway. But the TecToy one is pretty expensive and you have to import it from Brazil, so I'm not really sure who it's supposed to appeal to. It does have the SD card slot, but for the price, you're better off getting an EverDrive.

gwailo

Banned
Still got that Halloween feeling. Boo! And yes I know these are janky looking repros. As Count Floyd from SCTV said "Verrry scary, kiddies!"

IMG_20161101_181006_zpsgjomzldf.jpg

I noticed a weird issue with my M1 Genesis tonight. It seems that the picture shakes, flickers, pops and sometimes the image goes out for a moment. My setup goes - Retro consoles -> SCART switch -> Framemeister -> Vizio LCD. None of the other consoles display this behavior. I'm wondering if it is my SCART cable or the power supply? It strange that I never noticed this on my PVM setup.

I decided to mess around with my Game Genie today, which I've only ever used to play imports. I saw a code online for a secret stage in Ranger X. It's pretty weird. You have to destroy the three helicopter creatures to finish it.
The Game Genie code is 9T3A-BGNT + B23A-AAEW. After you play through that stage, it'll just go to the first stage and continue like normal. If you lose and start again, it'll take you back to the secret stage.

Teknoman

I decided to mess around with my Game Genie today, which I've only ever used to play imports. I saw a code online for a secret stage in Ranger X. It's pretty weird. You have to destroy the three helicopter creatures to finish it.

The Game Genie code is 9T3A-BGNT + B23A-AAEW. After you play through that stage, it'll just go to the first stage and continue like normal. If you lose and start again, it'll take you back to the secret stage.

I've never seen that!

EDIT: Going to be ending the votes soon, so get those decisions in!

Galdelico

Shadow Dancer, great pick-up! I should seriously consider buying it soon too, as its Japanese version is getting more and more expensive.

Speaking of pick-ups, I can't believe I finally found them (thanks to an awesome friend who has good contacts in Japan)! After missing them out at Yamatoku, a couple of weeks ago, I got the chance to grab a complete set of two official Japanese 6 buttons wireless controllers. The bundle with the controller and the receiver, and the controller-only set. Both boxed, complete with instructions, carboard holders and even plastic bags. I'll be sure to post pics and impressions, once I get them.
So happy, I was looking for them since ages.

It had been a few years since I list did it, but I was inspired (thanks to a thread on Sega-16) to play through Sword of Vermilion again. I finished up and defeated King Tsarkon last night. The Red/Blue/Grey Demon bosses, at about the 80% mark in the game, are still filthy cheaters (there's a weird difficulty spike with those bosses/dungeons...its still readily apparent to me).

I still am really fond of this game...it was nice to play it on actual hardware again.

For whatever reason I never got into the Shinobi games. Not intentionally or anything, just they were in some sort of blind spot and I never even noticed them. Feels like something I should correct with how much they are talked about.

Timu

For whatever reason I never got into the Shinobi games. Not intentionally or anything, just they were in some sort of blind spot and I never even noticed them. Feels like something I should correct with how much they are talked about.
Yes, you need to correct that!!!

Teknoman

I believe so, but with how Shining in the Darkness is a shorter / dungeon crawler experience, and the NES thread has started to roll with stuff like Startropics and Crystalis, mayber shorter rpg experiences arent a bad thing? Its certainly no Phantasy Star IV.

Either way:

November 2016 Tiebreaker

Responses should only be counted for a day or so.

Until then, should we continue with the same process for December, or try something different as in setting two polls so we get games set ahead of time, or as Irish was thinking, setting up a more tricky game, and everyone getting invested in that?

With all the Shinobi talk, maybe even a franchise month could be done?

I believe so, but with how Shining in the Darkness is a shorter / dungeon crawler experience, and the NES thread has started to roll with stuff like Startropics and Crystalis, mayber shorter rpg experiences arent a bad thing? Its certainly no Phantasy Star IV.

Either way:

November 2016 Tiebreaker

Responses should only be counted for a day or so.

Until then, should we continue with the same process for December, or try something different as in setting two polls so we get games set ahead of time, or as Irish was thinking, setting up a more tricky game, and everyone getting invested in that?

With all the Shinobi talk, maybe even a franchise month could be done?

voted again!

i'm down with a franchise month or anything plp want!

thanks Teknoman again for keeping the polls updated =)

Top Bottom