• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
For whatever reason I never got into the Shinobi games. Not intentionally or anything, just they were in some sort of blind spot and I never even noticed them. Feels like something I should correct with how much they are talked about.

Stop being a slacker and get on that!

Shaneus

I believe so, but with how Shining in the Darkness is a shorter / dungeon crawler experience, and the NES thread has started to roll with stuff like Startropics and Crystalis, mayber shorter rpg experiences arent a bad thing? Its certainly no Phantasy Star IV.
All good! I literally know nothing about SitD so it could well be a perfectly suitable game for this month, but I just saw the "Shining" and figured it'd be a long, long haul.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I believe so, but with how Shining in the Darkness is a shorter / dungeon crawler experience, and the NES thread has started to roll with stuff like Startropics and Crystalis, mayber shorter rpg experiences arent a bad thing? Its certainly no Phantasy Star IV.

Either way:

November 2016 Tiebreaker

Responses should only be counted for a day or so.

Until then, should we continue with the same process for December, or try something different as in setting two polls so we get games set ahead of time, or as Irish was thinking, setting up a more tricky game, and everyone getting invested in that?

With all the Shinobi talk, maybe even a franchise month could be done?

I think we should adopt the system from the Nes-thread, where we decide a month in advance so everybody has the time to get the game. We have no already decided for december there, and are going to decide for january in about a week.

KC-Slater

Forgive me if this has been posted/discussed, but it looks like Tectoy is releasing yet another Mega Drive, that looks like the original, plays carts and supports ROMs via an SD card.

It sounds like it is FPGA-based.

It comes with the following 22 games:

ALEX KIDD
ALIEN STORM
ALTERED BEAST
ARROW FLASH
BONANZA BROTHERS
COLUMNS
DECAP ATTACK
E-SWAT
FATAL LABYRINTH
Flicky
GAIN GROUND
GOLDEN AXE
GOLDEN AXE 3
JEWEL MASTER
KID CHAMELEON
LAST BATTLE
OUT RUNNERS
SEGA SOCCER
SHADOW DANCER
SHINOBI 3
SONIC 3
TURBO Outrun

I suppose there are worse things you could buy in the checkout line at Urban Outfitters?

Shaneus

Forgive me if this has been posted/discussed, but it looks like Tectoy is releasing yet another Mega Drive, that looks like the original, plays carts and supports ROMs via an SD card.

It sounds like it is FPGA-based.

It comes with the following 22 games:

ALEX KIDD
ALIEN STORM
ALTERED BEAST
ARROW FLASH
BONANZA BROTHERS
COLUMNS
DECAP ATTACK
E-SWAT
FATAL LABYRINTH
Flicky
GAIN GROUND
GOLDEN AXE
GOLDEN AXE 3
JEWEL MASTER
KID CHAMELEON
LAST BATTLE
OUT RUNNERS
SEGA SOCCER
SHADOW DANCER
SHINOBI 3
SONIC 3
TURBO Outrun

I suppose there are worse things you could buy in the checkout line at Urban Outfitters?
Do you think it's FPGA-based where it says it has a 68000 and Z80 in the one chip? Others seemed to think that it's just using system on a chip, but I guess we won't know until it comes out.

Doesn't have RGB capabilities though, so it seems kind of pointless. Unless it can be modded, but who knows?

Teknoman

Then Shining in the Darkness / earthworm Jim current vote is for December?

November, just got a slightly late start, but I figure its not that late.

I think we should adopt the system from the Nes-thread, where we decide a month in advance so everybody has the time to get the game. We have no already decided for december there, and are going to decide for january in about a week.

Yeah the double vote system seems to work. That way you have two titles out of the way, and are ahead of the game.

That being said:

TkElTxK.png

Looks like the game of November has been decided!
(full post incoming, and we'll start nominations and voting 2 weeks from now.

Until then, if anyone has any other ideas, keep them coming.

EDIT: Jake from state farm is back!

This just came in. Got it in a super cheap eBay auction:

I'm not even sure if it works but seller says it does. I'll have to find an ac adapter and av cables to find out. Oh and a game. I think I have a spare controller somewhere.

It has an ext. port. I've never seen a Megadrive with one before. Had to look it up to find out what it does. (Absolutely nothing unless you wanna hook up a modem.)

This was more of an impulse purchase so I wasn't thinking about it much, but I think this is a Megadrive with the better sound chip?

Did I do good, retroGAF?

Remember when I posted about getting this Megadrive? Well, I finally got all the requisite cables in, and it runs perfectly! Well, except for the fact that it has some sound distortion if you output stereo sound through the front stereo jack. Is there anything I can do about that? I googled it up and it looks like it's normal but it really sucks hearing it every time the Konami logo comes up.

The first power adapter I tried with it was also inadequate, but no surprise there. It was the one I was using for my Famicom/Super Famicom and only gives 1A whereas the Megadrive needs 1.2A. So I repurposed an old PSone power supply I had cut up and modded for my Twin Famicom (I got a proper adapter for that now), switched the polarity and bob's your uncle.

KC-Slater

Do you think it's FPGA-based where it says it has a 68000 and Z80 in the one chip? Others seemed to think that it's just using system on a chip, but I guess we won't know until it comes out.

Doesn't have RGB capabilities though, so it seems kind of pointless. Unless it can be modded, but who knows?

You're right -- it's likely a SoC due to the production scale. It's disappointing that it only supports composite. It will be interesting to see what's inside after it comes out.

Morfeo

November, just got a slightly late start, but I figure its not that late.

Yeah the double vote system seems to work. That way you have two titles out of the way, and are ahead of the game.

That being said:

TkElTxK.png

Looks like the game of November has been decided!
(full post incoming, and we'll start nominations and voting 2 weeks from now.

Until then, if anyone has any other ideas, keep them coming.

EDIT: Jake from state farm is back!

Tekno, since this is an rpg, and its already getting almost halfways through the month, why dont we do Shining for november+december, then you organize voting for january in about a week?

Edit: or do we do Jim for December? Im fine either way btw.

Shinings not too long iirc, 20-25 hours. Since were already 1/4 of the way through November, how about Jim for November and Shining for December? That gives everyone the full month. I'm sure most already have Jim in there collection as opposed to Shining. This gives people more time to pick it up. Or we could just leave it :)

Morfeo

I actually never liked EWJ either that much, but think Im gonna use this month to check out the sequel for the first time.

KC-Slater

EWJ looks beautiful at the expense of its gameplay. It suffers from the same experience as the Perry-developed Aladdin, in that there is a disconnect between knowing where the collision detection begins and ends with its platforming elements. With both titles, I found myself as a child miscalculating jumps, or presuming an element was something I could stand on when it wasn't. (Or maybe I'm just bad at games?) I'd be interested in revisiting this as an adult for a second impression.

Morfeo

EWJ looks beautiful at the expense of its gameplay. It suffers from the same experience as the Perry-developed Aladdin, in that there is a disconnect between knowing where the collision detection begins and ends with its platforming elements. With both titles, I found myself as a child miscalculating jumps, or presuming an element was something I could stand on when it wasn't. (Or maybe I'm just bad at games?) I'd be interested in revisiting this as an adult for a second impression.

Yeah I agree on both those games. They looked really good at expense of the gameplay. A trend that is unfortunately very prevalent these days.

eXistor

That's always been my issue with those games (that and the level-design isn't that good imo). It's too animated. It looks good, but it detracts a lot from the platforming.

I've never had that problem with either game.

Well, Aladdin's Up+B attack is pretty flimsy, but generally his sword attack has such high priority that you can just spam B to get through most swordfights. Platforming niggles, though? Not in Aladdin, and certainly never with Earthworm Jim...

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

A lot of platformers in the mid-90s had that problem. DKC comes to mind.

Timu

39097-Slaughter_Sport_(USA)-1459583947.png

This is considered to be one of the worst Genesis games and fighting games ever. Back when I 1st played it I couldn't even get past the 1st opponent. Now that I replayed it again, I got past the 1st one and managed to get through most of the game. Some opponents I was able to beat on my 1st try. That goes to show how much I improved myself.

However, this game just keeps on getting worse as I play through it. For starters there are no continues, just 3 lives, once you lose all 3 it's game over and back to the start of the game. The controls are horrible. Normally in fighting games you automatically face your opponent. Not in this one as you have to manually do it, which is frustrating. Even more frustrating is when you get knocked down you face the opposite direction of the opponent so you have to readjust to facing the right away. It's stiff when it comes to movement and jumping and hard to connect attacks to the opponents even. You can't even block in this game, yes, a fighting game where you can't even block!!! Overall the controls kill this game.

What kills this game also is having to buy health each match. Yes, you need to refill your health with your own money in order to stand a chance against anyone. A fighting game that doesn't automatically refill your health to max between matches is a messed up game. It's annoying because you have to rely on increasing your attack power and whatever powerups you want using the same money to increase your health to full. The powerups range from useful to why is this powerup even in the game. One of the cheapest ones is to prevent the opponent from attacking at all. I mean, wow, how many fighting games have it so that you can prevent the opponent from attacking for a period of time? This is the only one I know, and I can't imagine competitive play like that.

Speaking of competitive play, there's nothing competitive about fighting the opponents. The enemy a.i. is relentless if you fight them head on, so the only way to really fight them is to fight them like an SNK boss, or just spam the same move over and over and hopefully you'll win. And funny enough, it works pretty much everytime as long as you get it down right. Some opponents can be defeated by just crouching or staying in a corner while you mash the same attack over and over again until he/she is defeated. The a.i. is just horrible, broken and unbalanced in this game.

The music is horrible and just when they couldn't get any lazier, they recycle the same exact opponents you already fought but are just palette swaps. After that you fight the final boss, type in your name and there's no credits either.

Overall it's just abysmal!!!

dubc35

Dammit I thought "Blaze" was a secret character you could unlock somehow and it was a playthrough featuring that character only. Which was mindblowing as I had no idea there were multiple playable characters in Revenge of Shinobi.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing but with Blaze from Streets of Rage!

Timu

Finally beaten Slaughter Sport...I still stand by my statement on this game, lol this is easily in my top 10 worst Genesis games of all time, and fighting games too.

gwailo

Banned
Speaking of bad games...

Time for crappy gametime Friday.

This time it's Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (aka Mortal Kombat 5) which is a terrible bootleg translation of what is regarded to be one of the worst PS1 games.

I'm gonna need more beer.

IMG_20161111_185646_zpsnhdt7ahw.jpg

Galdelico

Awesome pick-up. Umetsu's box art is pretty great too. :)

Thank goodness I bought that ages ago, when it was still priced like your regular import MD game. I cry inside a little, everytime I realize I still want Vampire Killer and Alien Soldier in my collection.

IrishNinja

did the puncher of bans TM really just catch a hot one for defending MGS V's Quiet fanservice outfit

bruh

this is why you don't ride against crazy taxi right here, it's all connected

Shaneus

Speaking of bad games...

Time for crappy gametime Friday.

This time it's Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (aka Mortal Kombat 5) which is a terrible bootleg translation of what is regarded to be one of the worst PS1 games.

I'm gonna need more beer.

IMG_20161111_185646_zpsnhdt7ahw.jpg
I got my Everdrive a few days ago and fired this up. WITAF.

Top Bottom