• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

dlauv

So my Hyperkin Premium Genesis controller came in:

3sLydaO.jpg

This thing is great! Played through Gunstar Heroes this morning, and it performed excellent, no problems with diagonal shooting, and the buttons are very responsive. They're a bit "clicker" than the Genesis 6-Button OEM controller, and the plastic feels a bit cheaper, but otherwise it's a great alternative, and will be my go to controller considering my old Sega 6-button is broken!

I can second how awesome this is. I've been using one for a while. Buttons feel fantastic. I only wish that it had L+R buttons just for flexibility.

IrishNinja

i like wired controllers

Completed Contra Hard Corps this morning. This game has been my main focus for the past 2 weeks. I normally play as Fang, because, well....werewolf. But I found Brownie to be easier and I enjoyed using his weapon selection. This game is really great and I wish more people would give it a shot instead of just say its hard as hell. Same for Adventure of Batman & Robin.

Anyway...

watched this on IG! congrats man!

Those Logitech PS2 cordless action controllers work on Saturn through the tototek PS1 -> Saturn adapter if I remember correctly. Dunno how laggy it would be though.

Then I'd have to Saturn games using a Playstation controller. I would rather set my apartment on fire.

i like wired controllers

watched this on IG! congrats man!

I do too but my pets are nuts and keep pulling my systems down while I'm playing.

I'd definitely be interested in having wireless Genesis controllers. I recently bought the 8bitdo NES and SNES and they work very well. The Nintendo controller adds a couple face buttons so the layout isn't exactly the same and the shoulder buttons kind of get in the way with how I traditionally hold the NES controller but the SNES one is good.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Completed Contra Hard Corps this morning. This game has been my main focus for the past 2 weeks. I normally play as Fang, because, well....werewolf. But I found Brownie to be easier and I enjoyed using his weapon selection. This game is really great and I wish more people would give it a shot instead of just say its hard as hell. Same for Adventure of Batman & Robin.

Anyway...

Wow, this is an impressive feat.

About the game club, I can continue to do it, but it will probably be after the holiday. Sorry guys, like I wrote earlier, i spent two months in Paris without consoles, and with summer quickly approaching, I just hadnt had much time to spend on gaming.

Krelian

Got something exciting today!

A Sega Genesis model 1, the first time I've seen one in person, too. I've only had PAL consoles till now and I've been meaning to expand my NTSC collection for a while. Now I finally have the means to play the games as they were meant to be played -- in 60 Hz. I guess I could've modded my PAL console, but I'd rather have a real NTSC one, feels more authentic this way :)

By the way, there's an ext port on the back of the console, never seen that port before. I did a little research and judging by the FCC ID I have a "Sonic" version with TMSS, but it seems at least the sound chip is better than in later revisions.

A Sega Genesis model 1, the first time I've seen one in person, too. I've only had PAL consoles till now and I've been meaning to expand my NTSC collection for a while. Now I finally have the means to play the games as they were meant to be played -- in 60 Hz. I guess I could've modded my PAL console, but I'd rather have a real NTSC one, feels more authentic this way :)

By the way, there's an ext port on the back of the console, never seen that port before. I did a little research and judging by the FCC ID I have a "Sonic" version with TMSS, but it seems at least the sound chip is better than in later revisions.

You did good.

IrishNinja

m'man Laevateinn is right: you got the GOAT system with the right sound chip. some of the greats (gunstar, bloodlines, hard corps, moonwalker etc) have shot up in price but a ton of classics can still be had for a fair price, especially if you wanna explore a library that offers a ton of variety.

welcome to the next level!

Khaz

Anyone backed Tanglewood here? The reward survey is up and I don't know which cover to choose between the black grid and blue strip designs.

cover art
hKLHkfm.jpg

You did good! I did the same last summer when I purchased an Mega Everdrive!!

Castlevania bloodlines question for you guys.

I'm looking at grabbing a NA version of the game That's being sold locally but it's in a plastic clam shell case. Some googling shows this game in a cardboard box which makes me think all the plastic Cases out there are fake.

Can anyone confirm for me? I'm having trouble finding an answer.

Edit: seems there were 2 print runs for it with the cardboard box being the newer, cheaper, one

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Castlevania bloodlines question for you guys.

I'm looking at grabbing a NA version of the game That's being sold locally but it's in a plastic clam shell case. Some googling shows this game in a cardboard box which makes me think all the plastic Cases out there are fake.

Can anyone confirm for me? I'm having trouble finding an answer.

Edit: seems there were 2 print runs for it with the cardboard box being the newer, cheaper, one

afaik, the paper one was the Majesco reprint at Toys R Us when they sold the Genesis 3 in like 2000 or whenever.

This is what I ended up with.

Case and cover are in very good shape. How did this game get a GA rating?
YLZUwPA.jpg

Cart label is mint but doesn't look brand new if you know what I mean. Manual is complete but unfortunately stapled. The cover is color but the inside is B&W.
eDAOqfI.jpg

Marked "KONAMI made in japan" on the back
SdJyy2r.jpg

Case is even marked KONAMI.
g2EXyCd.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the purchase and I think its a "numbers matching" set.

Laws00

interesting since I got my game back in the mid 90s and my case is the card board box and my manual is in black and white i think

also got it for 25 cents at walmart lol
This is what I ended up with.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase and I think its a "numbers matching" set.

I've recently gotten into retro gaming and realized that my collection would be nothing without a Sega Genesis, which I originally got from the EB Games at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto for Christmas in 1994, bundled with Sonic 2 and Lion King. The Genesis was my first console that was my own (my dad and I shared an NES), so this has been a really nostalgic experience. I foolishly sold most of my games as I got bored of them growing up, so I have very few games and consoles from those years.

I spent a few weeks looking for a Genesis in mint condition a couple months back, then finally found one on eBay, brand new, for an incredible price of less than $100! The box was pretty beat up and was missing the controller, so I'm using the Hyperkin 6-button pads, which I'm really happy with. I try to buy stuff new or in mint condition and wasn't really interested in paying over $100 each just for a couple of OEM controllers when these work great and cost 1/10 of that. I'm running composite cables right now, waiting for the second revision of component cables from HD Retrovision to launch this summer.

FGyPXak.jpg

VHLX5UH.jpg

8BM7u2X.jpg

Here are some of the games (all CIB) I've picked up, mostly from eBay and the few retro game shops in NYC and Long Island. The in-store prices in NYC tend to be the same or slightly higher than eBay, so that's usually my best bet. The Long Island shops are pretty reasonable, but require long drives in traffic any day of the week.

ZBBivdV.jpg

The games are mostly favourites from my childhood, so don't judge for lack of quality. Below is the list of CIB games I'd like to add to my collection. Nothing too expensive other than Ristar and TMNT: Hyperstone Heist. I have Starflight, Sub-Terrania, TaleSpin and World Series Baseball on the way from eBay. I'm also looking forward to the release of Paprium!

Boogerman
Comix Zone
Earthworm Jim
Gauntlet IV
Joe & Mac
Mortal Kombat 2
Ristar
Sega 6-Pack
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
TMNT: Hyperstone Heist

If anyone has good condition CIB copies of any of these games, PM if you're interested in selling!

Noahd41

Neo Member
Anyone looking to trade for a CIB copy of Alex Kidd? I accidentally picked up a second one and it's kind of interesting because one copy I have is the Canadian variant with the long multi-language manual as opposed to the American style manual. I'm looking for Ghostbusters or Hyperstone Heist. Preferably CIB.

I haven't been too active recently but I got a Genesis copy of Duke Nukem (the TecToy port) recently and picked up a boxed copy of Wolfchild last week also. Great art for Wolfchild and it plays decent too.

Recently picked up Beavis and Butthead. Maybe it's nostalgia but I like the game. I rented it a few times back in the day but never beat it because I couldn't figure everything out. It's much easier now in the Internet age. I finally got all the ticket pieces and made it to the Gwar concert. Not much replay value but I'm glad I picked it up and it didn't tarnish my fond memories.

Also picked up Alien Storm. It's not as hard as I remembered but I can't quite beat it yet.

Leynos

Recently picked up Beavis and Butthead. Maybe it's nostalgia but I like the game. I rented it a few times back in the day but never beat it because I couldn't figure everything out. It's much easier now in the Internet age. I finally got all the ticket pieces and made it to the Gwar concert. Not much replay value but I'm glad I picked it up and it didn't tarnish my fond memories.

Also picked up Alien Storm. It's not as hard as I remembered but I can't quite beat it yet.

How is the home port of Alien Storm? I remember loving the arcade, but never got around to the Genesis version.

I've been playing Rolling Thunder 2. This game is rad. I love the music. It's pretty difficult but still a lot of fun. Overall, it reminds me a lot of the first Shinobi. I wish I could shoot while jumping or slash close.

Laws00

repost from retro thread

Been meaning to post. Got for 30 bucks about 2 months ago I think I said with some other stuff. That's when I said I should have bought that Valis 3 game for 10 bucks.

I know they're mad me....lol

Needs some intricate cleaning on the dpads some more

Shaneus

repost from retro thread

Been meaning to post. Got for 30 bucks about 2 months ago I think I said with some other stuff. That's when I said I should have bought that Valis 3 game for 10 bucks.

I know they're mad me....lol

Needs some intricate cleaning on the dpads some more
Are they more curved than the regular 6-button wired pads? They almost look like croissants.

Top Bottom