• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new game. Exciting!

Hi everyone,

Official statement below:

Thank you to all of our fans for waiting while we worked hard to get this issue solved. While SEGA may need to remove videos in rare cases, we’re happy to confirm that there are no further plans to remove Shining Force videos uploaded to Youtube by users living in North American and European territories. Additionally, if you live in these territories and your video was removed, please get in touch with us at communityteam@sega.com so that we can look into it for you.

SEGA believes strongly in our fans and we apologize for any inconvenience. You all are what keep us going – thank you!
So, uh, what was the reason in the first place? The statement implies that while there are no further plans to do so, there were plans before? It wasn't a mistake, it was actually intentional?

rvy

Banned
Hi everyone,

Thank you to all of our fans for waiting while we worked hard to get this issue solved. While SEGA may need to remove videos in rare cases, we’re happy to confirm that there are no further plans to remove Shining Force videos uploaded to Youtube by users living in North American and European territories. Additionally, if you live in these territories and your video was removed, please get in touch with us at communityteam@sega.com so that we can look into it for you.

SEGA believes strongly in our fans and we apologize for any inconvenience. You all are what keep us going – thank you!
That's nice.

Now localize Yakuza 5.

EXGN

Haha, only Japan would do this. Meanwhile, EA, Riot, Ubi and a bazillion other publishers give YouTube content makers free swag to do this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So, uh, what was the reason in the first place? The statement implies that while there are no further plans to do so, there were plans before? It wasn't a mistake, it was actually intentional?
It would seem that way. I'm getting a "Oops, sorry, we have decided it is best to only spit in the face of Japanese fans" vibe since that is where the new Shining games are being released. It's nice to know it is safe to post videos, but the communication here is still lacking.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Only Japan or only Sega?
Only Japan I presume, because meanwhile, the Western branches of Sega are perfectly happy with letting the fans spit in their faces over Colonial Marines on YouTube (how else would we have gotten that GIF?), completely free of repercussions.

What's up with that Japanese xenophobic attitude?

eternalb

According to the Nintendomination dude, Nintendo looks to be getting into the YouTube copyright business...

BFupmVeCIAIZGW-.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/TiLMEN

wrowa

It's like Nintendo is doing everything they can in order to become less and less relevant in the connected world.

Nekofrog

Banned
I got one of those copyright notices on my youtube channel for my Donkey Kong remix that was on the Serious Monkey Business album a few years ago.

Guess I won't be remixing Nintendo music anymore!

sugarless

(Note: I just want to discuss the legal stuff, no investment in SF or what Sega are doing here, also I am not a lawyer, just have some experience here)

A few people have mentioned fair use as a defense against claims of copyright infringement, but my understanding is that this doesn't usually hold water. For one thing, fair use isn't defined the same way in every country, and the definition from the country of origin of the IP holder might take precedent. Japan in particular doesn't really have robust legislation supporting fair use like the oft-cited 17 USC 107 section.

Also, fair use isn't just something you can claim like a get-out-of-jail-free card. You need to make proper attribution and be using a limited portion of the original work, like quoting text in a book review or using a short clip from a film in a video work discussing cinematography techniques. Which part you use also matters: there was a famous case of (I think) a newspaper book review quoting a very short part of a famous person's autobiography but as it was one of the juiciest revelations in the book, the publisher sued and won the case that it wasn't fair use because it significantly damaged the commercial viability of the original book. In other words, they quoted the part that was demonstrably one of the main reasons people might have bought the book. You can see how this can start to apply to Let's Play-ing an entire game on YouTube: it's at the discretion of a particular developer or publisher to decide if showing their game off like that is of value to them.

It doesn't matter whether or not you make money from your video, or whether you think you're giving them free publicity, as the copyright holder is entitled to control how their work is used and may not want your particular brand of publicity. (Edit: personally, I think they should leave small-time users who are clearly enamoured with a game alone...)

Anyway, if I'm completely wrong about anything then it would be great to hear from someone more knowledgeable!

Deft Beck

I feel as if video game publishers/developers should not stifle the LP community. It doesn't foster a healthy relationship between the two if the content owners are striking down people like that.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Never heard of this game.

Maybe I would have or maybe I'd buy it if someone could send me a youtube link to some gameplay.

Sega's own fault I haven't bought a game with their name on it in fucking ages.

95% of the time if I'm going to buy, hell even when I'm going to rent a game I check GB for a quicklook, and if not I'll check youtube for a LP.

If there is neither? Probably going to not bother and then quickly forget the game ever existed.

Takao

Banned
Well, the good news (is it good? Media.Vision made this game, and they could use a hit) is that the game didn't do very well. I suspect that has more to do with a declining PSP than anything related to this.

Victrix

*beard*
I feel as if video game publishers/developers should not stifle the LP community. It doesn't foster a healthy relationship between the two if the content owners are striking down people like that.

The smart ones are actively using youtube and twitch streamers as free marketing

The dumb ones are aggressively attacking their most ardent fans

RotBot

Only Japan I presume, because meanwhile, the Western branches of Sega are perfectly happy with letting the fans spit in their faces over Colonial Marines on YouTube (how else would we have gotten that GIF?), completely free of repercussions.

What's up with that Japanese xenophobic attitude?

Japan is just more anal about usage rights in general. Any clip from Japanese TV uploaded to Youtube is usually removed by the TV station within a couple of days. I don't know what the situation is now, but in the early 2000s, some Japanese game publishers were going after any Japanese gaming site that attempted to post screenshots of their games.

espher

According to the Nintendomination dude, Nintendo looks to be getting into the YouTube copyright business...

Doesn't necessarily mean they're going to have videos taken down, just that they're laying claim to their content, so to speak. The Rock Band: Harmonies Project channel has about 200 videos uploaded with only two blocked (well, it was three, one I successfully dispute under Fair Use criteria for Canada, but I just let the other two go). I've had to acknowledge they're someone else's content, and Germany gets boned because lol licencing, but they're up there for most of my audience.

Hi everyone,

I guess someone from SEGA West still retains some common sense (whoa!) and even managed to share some with the Japanese HQ (who I bet relunctly accepted but still managed to do their thing blocking videos in Japan) .

It was mentioned earlier in this topic:

This started back in August with the same 'Sega' user filing copyright complaints against videos on the Shining Force SOS YouTube account - which is totally ridiculous as the videos were of people (Shining Force fans, specifically) saying who they are and that they love Shining Force. I'm not sure how Sega can claim to own the rights to videos of these people. They only targetted a few videos, primarily those posted by Shining ROM hackers, myself (Shining Force Central creator) and an editor from GamesTM magazine whose opinion I guess holds some weight too.

It would seem to stem from an altercation between Japanese fans of the 'new' Shining series from 2chan who took a dislike to 'classic' series fans supporting the SF:SOS campaign. This original altercation led to a misunderstanding with Sega and consequently bad feelings (being conveyed in less than polite way, which I have been warned not to post publically) from Sega Japan's Shining producer towards myself and the SFC community.

It may well be the folks from 2chan trying to stir things up again - though how they managed to get an official Sega Japan email address on their YouTube account is unknown. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which videos get flagged and they certainly don't all even include gameplay footage and some include little more than a logo or the mention of the words 'Shining Force'.

Hi everyone,

I'm glad Sega has finally presented a statement on the matter, I was just thinking the other day about how it bothered me how I'd heard nothing since, and I presumed the matter was going to be forgotten.

It would seem that way. I'm getting a "Oops, sorry, we have decided it is best to only spit in the face of Japanese fans" vibe since that is where the new Shining games are being released. It's nice to know it is safe to post videos, but the communication here is still lacking.

It may be out of their control, Japanese parent company and all. I'm impressed they put their foot down solidly enough to make this statement and apology.

Someone presumably at Sega's Japanese side is still a massive idiot, but I'm glad the US/EU side is trying to make up for it and protect against it in the future.

Eusis

My guess is that Sega of Japan genuinely failed to recognize it as a potential problem, that it was just regular marketting to clean up the videos of older games so the newer ones could be highlighted. Ignoring those aren't videos they made even if they're made based on properties they own (nevermind vicdoes that may only MENTION said property, not actually show anything), or that they could get people permanently banned for this or at least have permanent black marks on those Youtube accounts.

It's like you pound one nail down only for another to pop up!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So uhhhh

apparently this is happening to Bayonetta videos now

Some of my favorite players are losing tons of content from years ago

Riposte

So uhhhh

On the bright side, I don't think they are touching nico right? So we can always rebuild the library of crazy Bayonetta videos.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
On the bright side, I don't think they are touching nico right? So we can always rebuild the library of crazy Bayonetta videos.

There are some talented english speaking players that operate primarily on youtube and those are the people I'm really referring to

So uhhhh

If this is the case, Sega's right back to square one. (Unless it's a third party filing notices to troll or something, which isn't uncommon for YouTube. But why would I not be surprised if Sega didn't learn their lesson on the subject...)

Madao

i'm glad i have no Sega videos in my account.

i'd be pissed beyond reality if my channel closed due to shit like this.

So uhhhh

Really? That's odd. I have some videos from the Bayonetta demo but all I noticed is that Sega claimed copyright on the audio - seems a lot of game developers are doing that now, too, as Nintendo and Capcom did the same (for Super Mario Galaxy and RE5 videos I have up).

My videos were flagged, but not in a way that forces me to take them down - I just acknowledge that yes, they use music produced by their respective companies, and that means there are now ads on those videos and whatever proceeds go directly to Sega or whoever the publisher is.

I've deleted two of the Bayonetta videos (they weren't very popular anyway), but I'm leaving one up just because I write for a Sega-centric news site and I want to see what happens.

Top Bottom