• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new game. Exciting!

Ziming

Banned
images

Takao

Banned
Nintendo should buy Camelot and get them to make a new Shining-style game - maybe mix things up by doing Fire Emblem on consoles and a new SRPG on portables. Variety is the spice of life - and overdoing any series (FE, Advance Wars) isn't good.

Why would Nintendo buy Camelot? They already work with Nintendo, and there's reason to believe that company has already made their best game as both the recent Mario Tennis, and Golden Sun games have shown.

They can kill all the let's play channels for all I care but please don't kill the music uploaders.

Err, if anything I would imagine the music uploaders would be the first to get axed given soundtrack CDs/digital releases exist, although I don't know if they exist for the Shining games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nothing but good can come from this action Sega and it isn't like the internet is known to be spiteful when actions like this are taken.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sega is doing the lord's work in trying to erase the memory of poor off brand Fire Emblem clone Shining Force and embracing furry hentai artist laden modern Shining Force.

I really don't think he is a furry artist. I mean, notice how after realizing Rouen being a hit he decided to make them very terrible?

Nintendo should buy Camelot and get them to make a new Shining-style game - maybe mix things up by doing Fire Emblem on consoles and a new SRPG on portables. Variety is the spice of life - and overdoing any series (FE, Advance Wars) isn't good.

Meanwhile I suggest looking for FEDA: Emblem of Justice. Apparently it's made by some of the Shining Force gang back during the SNES/Genesis era.

Shion

SEGA was already dead by that point, just a good-looking zombie. SEGA actually died with the Saturn.
Really?

I was fine when this "zombie" made games like Shenmue, Rez, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Panzer Dragoon Orta, OutRun2 etc.

Dreamcast/early post-Dreamcast era Sega was still alive and kicking.

Sega died when Sammy took over.

Wilsongt

I really don't think he is a furry artist. I mean, notice how after realizing Rouen being a hit he decided to make them very terrible?

Meanwhile I suggest looking for FEDA: Emblem of Justice. Apparently it's made by some of the Shining Force gang back during the SNES/Genesis era.

Eh, he put effort into Rouen, but I wouldn't call his other furry characters bad... he just made them skinny and basic...

You could definitely tell he put most of his time into the female characters... But he is terrible at doing original faces. A lot of his characters look same. It's hard to tell if characters are crossing over, decedents or what. A lot of the Blade girls look like they just stepped right out of Tears/Wind.

Should have stuck with pako for a few more games. Shining Force Feather's characters look good.

Tony Taka's girls have faces so similar I have to squint to tell the difference. That's bad. Yoshitaki Tamaki had no trouble varying his character designs, even when basing characters off of familiar Shining tropes. The quality of character design in the Shining games has steadily decreased from Tamaki's originals, and it could worsen yet.

Oh well. What SEGA's Shining department's doing is far prettier anyway

Wilsongt

Tony Taka's girls have faces so similar I have to squint to tell the difference. That's bad. Yoshitaki Tamaki had no trouble varying his character designs, even when basing characters off of familiar Shining tropes. The quality of character design in the Shining games has steadily decreased from Tamaki's originals, and it could worsen yet.

Oh well. What SEGA's Shining department's doing is far prettier anyway

At least Sega is shipping the games out to various other developers to have them done. I wish they would change the artist a bit more, though. They obviously know the right people to give the games to: The Wild ARMs team, Flight Plan, the Valkyria team, Neverland.

I would say the only horrible team they have working on the new Shining games is Amusement vision. They made that trashy Shining Force remake, as well as Tears which should have been a no-brainer continuation of the systems used in the Soul games, but instead they fucked it up. As well as Wind, which got panned.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Camelot is essentially 2nd party or basically owned by Nintendo.

Most games they make are Mario Sports games.

They really need to bring the Golden out from Golden Sun.

I'm just saying I'd like to see a new Shining force from them.

Why would Nintendo buy Camelot? They already work with Nintendo, and there's reason to believe that company has already made their best game as both the recent Mario Tennis, and Golden Sun games have shown.
Golden Sun DD was great, I think it's the best game in the series. I honestly liked it more than DQIX or FF4HOL.

Mario Tennis 3DS I haven't played but I understand it's core is solid (basically MT N64 with good graphics) amd a real step up from the GC/Wii game. Honestly if Nintendo/Camelot hadn't cheaped out and just added a Campaign RPG-mode, people would probably be calling it the best in the series.

It was made by Max Entertainment, who were an ex-Climax group that had people who'd worked on Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force 1 and LandStalker. It was a SFC game though it also had an expanded Saturn rerelease and a (worse) PS1sequel iirc.

Boss Doggie

Eh, he put effort into Rouen, but I wouldn't call his other furry characters bad... he just made them skinny and basic...

You could definitely tell he put most of his time into the female characters... But he is terrible at doing original faces. A lot of his characters look same. It's hard to tell if characters are crossing over, decedents or what. A lot of the Blade girls look like they just stepped right out of Tears/Wind.

Should have stuck with pako for a few more games. Shining Force Feather's characters look good.

Which is why his later furries looked off. I thought Rouen was perfection.

And yeah his problem is the samey face on characters. Which is hilarious, because I thought his first game design - Tears - had okay designs.

It was made by Max Entertainment, who were an ex-Climax group that had people who'd worked on Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force 1 and LandStalker. It was a SFC game though it also had an expanded Saturn rerelease and a (worse) PS1sequel iirc.

A shitty sequel and a Saturn re-release, yeah.

FEDA's no substitute for Camelot's greatness, though it's a great game in its own right.

Should be enough to satiate the hunger.

Watch out for furries though - that game is nearly filled with that.

Wilsongt

The GBA one? What was so bad about that?

A lot of it were problems with balancing and the way they changed some of the story.

* Max having a voice is fine, despite it being tradition that the MC is silent (except with the jumping between Scenario 1 - 3 of SFIII).
* Max and Kane being brothers is fine, that's well established, but the whole sending them forward in time is so shitty.
* Magic comes from satellites?
* The character back stories and some of the boss enemies (Elliot mostly) had their history rewritten which completely obliterated a lot of continuity. Such as Elliot being the last Dragonaut (False: he has a son), Tao being an only child (False: Two sisters: Diane and Wendy); and a few other examples. Some of the back stories were nice.
* The inclusion of Mawlock and Zuika were unnecessary as was the card mechanic. It cards were nice novelties but if you keep playing as the difficulty goes up, the become essential, which is annoying. Zuika, while powerful, contributes nothing. Narsha is the best inclusion as her story makes sense and the end of it is quite fitting. She's fine.
* A lot of the story follows along with Shining Force Neo, including the bad changes.

Characters were rebalanced, some for better, some for worse. Arthur is no longer a powerhouse, so using him is not beneficial anymore. Bleu got nerfed so bad. Mae and Ken got nerfed so bad. Magic levels and power got switched around so that using Lv 4 spells is no longer useful due to the cost, so that makes Tao pretty useless, not that she was great before other than her speed.

I could go on, but yeah. It's a decent game, but was badly mangled.

Dreamer RD

They also blocked my Yakuza 5 demo vid with warning to account. What the fuck are they thinkng? Pathetic company.
Also the whole YT content ID system is piece of shit. Recorded Final Fantasy IX Excalibur 2 walkthrough in january, and now some parts are blocked due to fucking copyrights out of nowhere.
I can understand music and movies stuff that should be deleted or blocked, but damn, it's just a fucking game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They also blocked my Yakuza 5 demo vid with warning to account. What the fuck are they thinkng? Pathetic company.
Also the whole YT content ID system is piece of shit. Recorded Final Fantasy IX Excalibur 2 walkthrough in january, and now some parts are blocked due to fucking copyrights out of nowhere.
I can understand music and movies stuff that should be deleted or blocked, but damn, it's just a fucking game.

Yep, pretty.....stupid. No other way to put it.

M3d10n

Content ID is a joke. Lots of false positives and there are troll companies which will randomly fill in bogus claims on high-view videos so they can rake in the ads before it gets disputed, since a claim will go through almost right away while disputing it takes a long time.

Boss Doggie

Finally finished the vid (stopped halfway). Man, SEGA's really projecting that "one step forward, hundred steps back" image. I may not like Shining Force Central but what they did was a sucker punch.

I tend to speed read through topic titles to know if I want to reply to them... Every time this gets bumped my mind gets to "Sega is shutting down..." before moving to the next topic, then quickly jumping back up to confirm what I read, then I see the rest.

Evil title topic throwing me off.

Youtube should shut down Sega's ability to file DMCA notices, with the way they've abused it. Flagging videos that have nothing but a person talking to a camera is beyond stupid.

Jac_Solar

The way you wrote it, it sounds like Youtube banned people without a good reason -- as if Sega simply told Youtube to ban whoever they thought had any content related to their new game, without concern for the rules.

Is this true? Or did the users infact break some "rules"?

Spierek

Youtube should shut down Sega's ability to file DMCA notices, with the way they've abused it.

More like "Youtube should throw out the DMCA system in its entirety, with the way it's being abused.". SEGA's idiocy may be the most offensive example yet, but it doesn't mean that DMCA wasn't being overused in the past.

Oh, and thanks for the link to that video. It's a tad long, but it explains the entire problem rather nicely.

Boss Doggie

The video itself can cut some fat (as much as I like TB him being in the vid feels more like advertisement).

Kusano123

Neo Member
Lol, I think even Tony Taka is tired of designing characters for the series. The character designs this time seems extremely stale.

Coxy

so best case scenario they're illegally abusing DMCA to improve search rankings for shining ark?
worst case scenario they're illegally abusing DMCA to maliciously attack fans they dont like?
or possibly both?

wow, only sega.

Fraeon

Is this true? Or did the users infact break some "rules"?

Some of the videos contain no SEGA owned content. We're not even talking about fair use here when you have some talking head on a video.

So yeah, the worst case and the best case both involve illegally abusing the DMCA.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is some serious bullshit, and sets a precedent for even more bullshit. Content creators need to learn how to take advantage of Youtube and how it fosters their fanbases rather than kneecapping themselves.

televator

So SEGA, of all the game companies, is going after the fans that most likely kept them afloat enough to survive through the hardest of their times? What a weird strategy...

Nuklear

Banned
I hate when Devs do that to Twitch streams too. I can't tell you how many games I had no intention of buying but ended up buying a game because I saw a person playing it on Twitch especially if the game isn't out yet. Developers really need to recognize streamers/youtube are a very important part of pre-release hype that will increase your sales. In fact I think they are much more important than any blog.

Just a small list of games I bought on impulse because of streamers.

1. SC V
2. UMVC3
3. Tekken Tag 2
4. Persona 4 Arena
5. Sleeping Dogs

and those are just games off the top of my head. I've bought many more.

TriGen

I hate when Devs do that to Twitch streams too. I can't tell you how many games I had no intention of buying but ended up buying a game because I saw a person playing it on Twitch especially if the game isn't out yet. Developers really need to recognize streamers/youtube are a very important part of pre-release hype that will increase your sales. In fact I think they are much more important than any blog.

Just a small list of games I bought on impulse because of streamers.

1. SC V
2. UMVC3
3. Tekken Tag 2
4. Persona 4 Arena
5. Sleeping Dogs

and those are just games off the top of my head. I've bought many more.

I've bought a bunch of games because of LP's and such. Games that I'm iffy on I need to see more than a trailer.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
so best case scenario they're illegally abusing DMCA to improve search rankings for shining ark?
worst case scenario they're illegally abusing DMCA to maliciously attack fans they dont like?
or possibly both?
So SEGA, of all the game companies, is going after the fans that most likely kept them afloat enough to survive through the hardest of their times? What a weird strategy...
For real, yo. Wooowwwww.

"Don't love me that way! Fuck you!"

Pretty much the opposite of the heart behind Sonic Generations, Sega Heritage, and the Genesis collections, so I wonder WTF is going on over there. Given that Sawada was a massive douche about all this, I wouldn't be surprised if it is all his initiative and the rest of Sega Japan is either clueless or doesn't give a fuck because it is international dealings.

They need to wise up because we live in a globalized, digital age now. National boarders and time has nothing to do with whether or not people end up knowing and even loving products you have made, and you should love them for going to the trouble even when you didn't extend it to their markets. You can affirm to them that no more games like that are going to come, but giving them shit for it is just so stupid.

I won't bash all of Sega, though. If there was an international fan push for Burning Rangers to get one of these HD remakes (pleasepleaseplease sega please) I can't imagine Sonic Team telling them to fuck off.

Draikin 2

Last we heard from TotalBiscuit, it doesn't seem like Sega intends to drop the copyright claims on his videos, let alone apologize for taking them down. So he's still boycotting them as well. Some fans managed to submit a counter-claim, but Youtube's actually preventing some people from submitting them. In other words, plenty of videos and even entire channels are still down. One of the fans had 2000 videos on his channel which were lost because Sega took down 3 of his "let's play" videos. Meanwhile, Sega refuses to even talk about the matter with their fans. And unfortunately those fans simply can't make enough noise to really put pressure on Sega of Japan to stop this practice, even with TotalBiscuit's help.

I have to say, this is one of the most embarrassing things Sega has done in a long, long time. The English-speaking side is being extraordinarily tight-lipped about it, which I'd guess means (along with the other evidence present) it's very specifically a Japan directive they can't do anything about. And whoever gave said directive needs a wake-up call.

Draikin 2

I have to say, this is one of the most embarrassing things Sega has done in a long, long time. The English-speaking side is being extraordinarily tight-lipped about it, which I'd guess means it's very specifically a Japan directive they can't do anything about. And whoever gave said directive needs a wake-up call.
It does seem that way. Also worthy of note is that Sega of Japan is still blocking comments and ratings on Shining Ark videos on their own Youtube channel, after users posted negative comments there. So they know full well what's going on, yet they refuse to simply drop the copyright claims and end this nonsense.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Hi everyone,

Official statement below:

Thank you to all of our fans for waiting while we worked hard to get this issue solved. While SEGA may need to remove videos in rare cases, we’re happy to confirm that there are no further plans to remove Shining Force videos uploaded to Youtube by users living in North American and European territories. Additionally, if you live in these territories and your video was removed, please get in touch with us at communityteam@sega.com so that we can look into it for you.

SEGA believes strongly in our fans and we apologize for any inconvenience. You all are what keep us going – thank you!

Top Bottom