• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new game. Exciting!

If they stated going after Miku, watch the fan rage increase a thousand fold.

For most us Americans, it is our only exposure to the game since Sega refuses to license it for the West.

I see that and raise the possibility in Sega of Japan succeeding in shutting down TotalBiscuit's YouTube channel. That would be a shit hurricane. He's already declared a boycott and probably will formalise the announcement, which will hopefully prompt a sufficiently large shitstorm to snap some sense into Sega. But still: not wise.

Tizoc

So this is only for this Shinning game? No other SEGA game series is being withheld due to copyright?

Same thing happened to me and others when Guardian Heroes HD dropped last year. Haven't recovered from that since then. Such a shame this is happening to others for whatever the reason is.

stha_groupmsoki.jpg

shiningwindbzwrml.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new.
Haven't bought an SF game since III but I'm part of the problem anyway.

The erasure of TotalBiscuit's SFIII LP should actually be punishable with a prison sentence.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This isn't a copyright violation, and the reason Youtube bends to any corporation who asks them to take stuff down is because they've had their nuts in the legal vice before.

So... yeah.

Mikey Jr.

You know what would make money?

Translate all of Shining Force 3. Maybe touch up the graphics.

Put it on Psn/xbla.

Profit.

Out with the old, in with the new.
Haven't bought an SF game since III but I'm part of the problem anyway.

The erasure of TotalBiscuit's SFIII LP should actually be punishable with a prison sentence.

Let's Plays are always a very legally gray area. Unlike written commentaries, they infuse most of the content from the IP into the production itself.

It's like if someone was writing a book review and quoted most of the book within his narrative.

I think this is very backward thinking on the part of Sega (especially considering the commercial benefits of Let's Plays from exposure), but as content producers, they're entitled to their actions.

(Yes, I realize a person watching the Let's Play might get inspired to play it a different way, warranting a purchase. I'm not saying Let's Plays negatively impact sales.)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Let's Plays are always a very legally gray area. Unlike traditional written commentaries, they infuse most of the content from the IP into the production itself.

It's like if someone was writing a book review and quoted most of the book within his narrative.

I think this is very backward thinking on the part of Sega (especially considering the commercial benefits of Let's Plays from exposure), but as content producers, they're entitled to their actions.

(Yes, I realize a person watching the Let's Play might get inspired to play it a different way, warranting a purchase. I'm not not saying Let's Plays negatively impact sales.)

Thing is, without having any impact on sales and when Let's Plays are non-commercial (well, barring whatever ads a dude has linked to his channel), it's hard not to consider Let's Play videos to be protected by fair use... and that's if you consider random footage of a game to be copyrightable subject matter in the first place.

17 USC Section 107, kids. It's all we have left :(

Let's Plays are always a very legally gray area. Unlike written commentaries, they infuse most of the content from the IP into the production itself.

(Yes, I realize a person watching the Let's Play might get inspired to play it a different way, warranting a purchase. I'm not not saying Let's Plays negatively impact sales.)

Totalbiscuit has the licence to do these videos there's no legal gray area

It's stuff like this that makes me want to move on to other video sharing sites. I shouldn't have to freak out about copyright violations when uploading a parody video, a let's play, or even a home video with a copyrighted song.

If only there was a good replacement...

There's an interesting comment on Eurogamer that may shed some light on this situation:

This is a very bizarre situation all around. I guess we'll have to wait and see if Sega responds to clarify what's going on. Obviously the only result of this kind of behavior will be to upset longtime fans of the company, so it's not something any right thinking person there should be approving.

batfax

Wasn't there some debacle where some jerk not actually associated with any company targeted a slew of Let's Players for some dumb reason ages ago? I remember it was caused apparently by Youtube just following through with anyone claiming copyright because of their past issues and never actually fact-checked the guy filing actually held any copyright. Eventually it was all sorted out, so hopefully this blows over.

Thing is, without having any impact on sales and when Let's Plays are non-commercial (well, barring whatever ads a dude has linked to his channel), it's hard not to consider Let's Play videos to be protected by fair use... and that's if you consider random footage of a game to be copyrightable subject matter in the first place.

17 USC Section 107, kids. It's all we have left :(

"Random footage" is one thing, but comprehensive footage showing every facet of the game 100% completed...is another. ESPECIALLY in story-based games where gameplay isn't very important.

It's because some Let's Players receive advertising revenue from showing off copyrighted material...that make it so legally gray.

You can argue that Let's Players monetize their commentary, but there are instances where the monetization is fueled by the attraction of the IP itself.

For example, Let's Players who monetize a video without any commentary at all, or Let's Players who mostly remain silent through their video.

What fuels the ad revenue in those situations? The game, not the personality. And do most Let's Players have permission from the content producer to use the game to make money on a digital platform? No.

cicero

So... They sent a letter. "Hi, we're jacking your shit."

They don't get an immediate response and think all's well?

Way to completely miss the point. It was THREE WHOLE YEARS, but you describe it as not getting "an immediate response"? Like they specifically stated, "We accepted the ESA policies regarding the DMCA as well". Sega had every opportunity to pursue action against them, FOR THREE YEARS, but they conveniently waited until a day after the project was released, and a day before they were set to release their own expensive crap port, to finally shut them down. My initial point was drawing a correlation between this apparent new youtube issue and Sega's well-known previous similar activities towards fans and fan based projects. The point is that Sega can do better than actions like these. Now it may turn out that Sega isn't even behind these Youtube takedowns, or it might involve someone affiliated with Sega holding a grudge and pursuing some kind of personal vendetta, the issue still holds for Sega's previous actions regardless.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So they are shutting down people for having videos of old titles due to similar names to this one.

Low.

I was interested in Shining Ark until I learned it was going to be one of "those" games.

I wish Camelot would make another Shining Force.

Shining Erotica or Shining Cliche Romance isn't my glass of Iced Tea.

Yeah, it was kinda stupid how they titled their game Shining Ark despite it having nothing to do with the similarly titled Shining the Holy Ark at all. And now they're getting uppity at old fans who wanted to share their love for the older title? Ridiculous.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They should have just went all the way with it like they did with their PS2 Shining Force and called this game Shining The Holy Ark. I mean, why stop short?

cicero

They should have just went all the way with it like they did with their PS2 Shining Force and called this game Shining The Holy Ark. I mean, why stop short?

Seeing your name makes me realize it has been like 15 years since I saw Record of Lodoss War. Crazy.

Reminds me of when I got hit for a copyright claim after putting a video I made of Garouden Break Blow(Ps2) shortly after release showing off how brutal and fun it was. You know, to convince others to pick it up? Hey free advertising guys. "You stole our IP" Pretty much put an end to me even posting videos. Got hit again recently for another video of a Japanese Playstation game.

Despite having been offered money to add music to my videos or advertising I always said no. I did this to bring attention to games that I felt deserved it. I get rewarded with copyright claims and threats to close my account. Good job guys.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Quick edit to incorporate an important synopsis

with attached melodramatic overreaction! someone fucked up and it sucks. no one's out to destroy the precious work of hardworking devoted fans or whatever.

Meicyn

Gold Member
with attached melodramatic overreaction! someone fucked up and it sucks. no one's out to destroy the precious work of hardworking devoted fans or whatever.
Excellent, it wouldn't be a proper GAF thread unless there was at least one contrarian reply in it.

This is a very Corporate Japanese way of going about marketing, is what it is. I can't say I'm terribly surprised.

This sort of stuff is also why I sigh every time I get a mail in my inbox from people asking if it's "okay" to show our games on Youtube or w/e. Yes, guys, we don't care THAT much! It's okay! Really!

There's an interesting comment on Eurogamer that may shed some light on this situation:

Alternately, a section of 2channel going rabid is also something I could entirely believe.

Top Bottom