• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA love and berry DS boxart

loosus

Banned
SaitoH said:
lol, so making games that have zero appeal to gamers that liked previous Sega games is a good thing?
It's not like there's been a whole hell of a lot of them in the past 8 years. You're just a piss in the ocean.

SaitoH

There's no doubt I mean absolutely nothing to Sega, but what's best for a companies bottom line, and profit margins, don't necessarily make for a very good game. I don't care how much companies make, or lose, I just care about playing fun games. So I have a hard time understanding the profit cheering crowd.

*shrugs*

ethelred

SaitoH said:
There's no doubt I mean absolutely nothing to Sega, but what's best for a companies bottom line, and profit margins, don't necessarily make for a very good game. I don't care how much companies make, or lose, I just care about playing fun games. So I have a hard time understanding the profit cheering crowd.

*shrugs*

Here's the thing: companies can't make good games when they aren't making money.

One would think that Sega fans of all people would be able to appreciate this concept.

Do you like the fact that Sega's consoles were financial disasters and that more and more of their games bombed in sales? Do you think that's been a good thing or a bad thing in terms of impacting their creation of quality games?

jax (old)

Banned
SaitoH said:

*shrugs*

you're right.

And I'm not suprised that etherlred is here crowin about sales figure. because HE SURE IS ACTIVE IN THEM SALES THREADS with his "anal-ysis"

ethelred

Jax said:
you're right.

And I'm not suprised that etherlred is here crowin about sales figure. because HE SURE IS ACTIVE IN THEM SALES THREADS with his "anal-ysis"

Do you somehow disagree with what I said, that companies need to make money to survive? Do you somehow think Sega is better off now that the bulk of their business choices have led to financial ruin?

Jax said:
you're right.

First: Insult was uncalled for.

Second: If a company cannot make a profit in the first place, then it cannot make games. If it can make profit with games you do not like, it still frees up the ability to make games you do like. We're still getting Virtua Fighter and a 3D Sonic that has a faint potential to not suck, so I don't see why you people are complaining.

AirBrian

:Motorbass said:
shrimp.gif
190346b.jpg

ethelred said:
Shiren is not going to sell anywhere close to a million. The series isn't anywhere remotely near being that popular.

i know, but on amazon.jp it's always on the top and release date is in December... often above Love & Berry even if it comes out 3 weeks later

when a game hits the top chart months before the release, it means it will sell a lot, maybe not a million seller, but i think Sega will not be disappointed about Shiren sales

if Sega will make money with these 3 titles maybe will start to support more and more DS, i still hope for a JSR game... it should be perfect with stylus

SaitoH

ethelred said:
Here's the thing: companies can't make good games when they aren't making money.

One would think that Sega fans of all people would be able to appreciate this concept.

Do you like the fact that Sega's consoles were financial disasters and that more and more of their games bombed in sales? Do you think that's been a good thing or a bad thing in terms of impacting their creation of quality games?

I agree that companies need money to survive, but having cash doesn't assure quality either. Profit margins can crush creativity and quality. Anyway, point is old Sega made games that I liked and new Sega (aside from VF) doesn't.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Having themes which target a different demographic doesn't make a game bad or uncreative.

mj1108

Jax said:
you're right.

The fact that some here don't realize that companies need money to survive makes me happy that they aren't running any game companies.

Even if a developer is creative its often a hit or miss. U can't expect to please all the people so u focus on one specific demographic which has the potential to sell alot of copies.

cvxfreak

SaitoH said:

*shrugs*

Even excluding the profit cheering crowd, it's pretty obvious 1.5 Million girls are going to enjoy this. Why deny THEM the enjoyment? Their cash will help fund the next Sonic or Virtua Fighter.
And hopefully Shenmue. :(

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
Even excluding the profit cheering crowd, it's pretty obvious 1.5 Million girls are going to enjoy this. Why deny THEM the enjoyment? Their cash will help fund the next Sonic or Virtua Fighter.
And hopefully Shenmue. :(

I know that's what Hamuraba's predicting and all, but I really doubt it'll be selling anywhere near that much. We'll see soon enough.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Derps said:
It's a sad day for gamers when junk like this outsells good games
That would only be true if "gamers" outnumbered "non-gamers".
It's not as if Sega is going to stop making other games and go just this route. Expanding your market is a good thing for any company.

HyperionX said:
If it does become a million-seller than the "non-game" game has official jumped the shark.

But u can't deny their success & they actually sold a million or more
-Brain Training Series
-Animal Crossing DS
-Nintendogs
-Tamagotchi DS

MegaTen

Banned
People still use stupid terms like "non-game"? A game is a game regardless of what the gameplay is like. If you can't accept that, find a new hobby.

Tabris

Any good news for Nintendo DS is good news for GAF, right? :p

The fact this thread has 2 pages and has more posts than threads like Maps Galore, and almost as much as the official rainbow six thread (just going based on front page).

Come on nintendo fans, you don't have to cheer every single thing that gets released on your console/handheld of choice. This is like a sony fan cheering on some crappy gundam/dbz game being released for the 10th time on his platform.

ethelred

Tabris said:

The fact this thread has 2 pages and has more posts than threads like Maps Galore, and almost as much as the official rainbow six thread (just going based on front page).

Come on nintendo fans, you don't have to cheer every single thing that gets released on your console/handheld of choice. This is like a sony fan cheering on some crappy gundam/dbz game being released for the 10th time on his platform.

I dunno who this is directed to, but my first post in this thread was simply "Appalling," and I stand by that.

I'm sorry other people have bigger "threads" than you, though. Please don't allow it to inspire any feelings of inadequacy.

AniHawk

Tabris said:

No, any good news for Nintendo DS is good news for gaming.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Tabris said:

Why aren't you excited by the human flaws shown in this thread?

Tabris said:

**** knows what thread you read before you posted, but it can't have been this one...

whenever Sega expirements with weird stuff, GAF says it's a Financial disaster
whenever Nintendo expirements with weird stuff, GAF says it's innovationary revolution
*sigh*

MegaTen said:
People still use stupid terms like "non-game"? A game is a game regardless of what the gameplay is like. If you can't accept that, find a new hobby.

I think so too but I can't help using it to distinguish this from common types ol games (rpg/action/adv) n everybody is using it already so I thought "hey, why not".

:D

ethelred

gutter_trash said:
whenever Sega expirements with weird stuff, GAF says it's a Financial disaster
whenever Nintendo expirements with weird stuff, GAF says it's innovationary revolution
*sigh*

Sega's better than this kind of lowest common denominator shit. But, hey, if it gets them the money to keep making worthwhile games, that's okay, then, I guess... even though I accept in the dim corners in the back of my head that the old Sega will never be back.

http://web-japan.org said:
http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/cool/05-11/cool051102.html

WHAT'S COOL IN JAPAN
November 2005
Osharemajo Love and Berry

Young girls have always liked to dress up their favorite dolls in elegant, flowing dresses, style the dolls' hair, and deck them out with bags and other accessories. Now a card game based on this type of fun has become wildly popular among Japanese girls.

Osharemajo Love and Berry (meaning Fashion Witches Love and Berry) was launched in October 2004 by Sega, the same company that created the popular boys' card game The King of Beetles Mushiking. At the start of the game, players receive an Oshare Maho(Fashion Magic) card containing a picture of a fashion item, such as a dress or a pair of shoes. game over and over. Next, they choose between two characters: Love, who adores cute clothing, and Berry, who prefers a cool style of dress. Players then scan their Oshare Maho cards into the game machine and dress their characters up in their favorite styles. After making their characters look just right, the players tap buttons in time with the sound of a tambourine to make their character dance; the winner is the one who can make their character look and dance best. The more cards a player collects, the more options she has to coordinate her player's fashion, so this motivates many girls to play the game over and over.

First-grade elementary school student Yurika began playing Love and Berry this spring and has managed to collect all 88 cards in the 2005 spring/summer collection. "I like watching Love and Berry dance while wearing clothing combinations that match my tastes," said Yurika, who was playing the game at an arcade in a shopping mall with her mom. She has even organized her card collection in an original card holder.

A Sega spokesperson says, "In the autumn/winter 2005 version of the game, players will be able to select from six settings for the game, including a ball, a fashion street, and a disco. When choosing clothing, the advice of the player's mother will be helpful. For instance, a mother might say, 'For a ball, a long dress will stand out.' We hope that this will encourage the mother and child to enjoy communicating while playing the game."

Since mid-September 2005, official contests have been held on weekends at some stores where the game machines are located. Starting at the end of October, Sega began to release the 106 cards that make up the autumn collection, and these new cards will give fashion-loving girls even more choices of clothes and accessories to use in the Love and Berry game.

Looks like virtual barbie using collectible cards with rhythm / dance off gameplay.

Lhadatt

Hey, chowderheads. Let's apply some common sense here.

First-grade elementary school student Yurika began playing Love and Berry this spring and has managed to collect all 88 cards in the 2005 spring/summer collection. "I like watching Love and Berry dance while wearing clothing combinations that match my tastes," said Yurika, who was playing the game at an arcade in a shopping mall with her mom. She has even organized her card collection in an original card holder.

FIRST GRADE. FIRST FRAKING GRADE. SEGA HAS FIRST GRADERS PLAYING GAMES.

I repeat.

SEGA HAS FIRST GRADERS PLAYING GAMES.

This game is a GATEWAY DRUG, and is NO DIFFERENT than those stupid things you people played on GBA with the e-Reader. Girls that play this game will find other games to play with their DS. They will later play more complicated games, and will grow into playing the classics that Sega will finance using the money from their gateway drug games.

In short: ethelred, you have no idea what you're talking about. Shut up.

cvxfreak

Tabris said:

Why the **** do you care so much? Stop complaining about what other posters like to post already. At least it's not your typical lame trolls.

Tsubaki

ethelred said:
Do you somehow think Sega is better off now that the bulk of their business choices have led to financial ruin?

I think Sega was better off dying with the Dreamcast than the shovelware they've been putting out as a 3rd party for 5 years now. It was ok to give them a break back then, but come on. Enough is enough.

Tsubaki said:
I think Sega was better off dying with the Dreamcast than the shovelware they've been putting out as a 3rd party for 5 years now. It was ok to give them a break back then, but come on. Enough is enough.

Moron, parents lining up with their card-game junky kids to have them get a shot at Love and Berry in the department-stores and arcades will LOVE Sega for releasing this on DS. Don't be so damn ego-centric when you judge games GAF. Arrrghhh! If 3rd party focused Sega can cater well for wide segments, even YOUR segment will get more resourceful games to enjoy.

(I agree the Sonic series has fallen far off the cliff though...)

Also, I'm pretty happy I didn't start my daughter on this card drug thing. I see similar face expressions in these kids as WoW players - Stone-faced auto-pilot. I want "playing Wii and enjoying it as hell"-smiles for my kids.

Tsubaki said:

I guess Sega is better off with fresh 'new gamers' instead of old bitter one's full of hate. :lol

Poor Sega:)

Brofist

I don't see the big deal here. So they are releasing a fun little game that's popular with the kiddies (and a few resident GAF peds). Now some of the responses defending the game in this topic are a bit creepy and a little overly defensive.

kpop100 said:
I don't see the big deal here. So they are releasing a fun little game that's popular with the kiddies (and a few resident GAF peds). Now some of the responses defending the game in this topic are a bit creepy and a little overly defensive.

It's not about this game if u reread all post from the top on this page.

Branduil

What's this? A game company releasing a game that does not appeal to me in any way? I am appalled, and offended, and hurt.

:D
Branduil said:
What's this? A game company releasing a game that does not appeal to me in any way? I am appalled, and offended, and hurt.

Unless u r a First-grade elementary japanese school girl ur not the target of this game. :lol but its more disturbing to make a big fuss about it on this message board or any kids game. Seriously though lets bump this topic down and focus on other games that r worth talking about.

Is there any admin here plz lock this down. :D

Top Bottom