• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega nears deal to acquire Angry Birds maker Rovio for $1 billion

ManaByte

Gold Member

April 14 (Reuters) - Japan's Sega Sammy Holdings Inc (6460.T) is nearing a deal to acquire Rovio Entertainment (ROVIO.HE), the company behind the 'Angry Birds' mobile game, for about $1 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.
Tokyo-based Sega could finalize the deal to complete the acquisition of Rovio by early next week, the report said citing people familiar with the matter.

Angry Birds hasn't been relevant for some time now though. That's a lot of money on Sega's part for a washed up franchise. it's surprising to see such a bad move when historically they've done great. Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment were solid acquisitions in the strategy genre.

Holammer

Release the perturbed birbs on Steam and I'll buy.
Rovio only ever released Angry Birds Space on Steam (delisted now of cuz) and giftable copies go for fantasy sums today.

Release the perturbed birbs on Steam and I'll buy.
Rovio only ever released Angry Birds Space on Steam (delisted now of cuz) and giftable copies go for fantasy sums today.
I'm taken aback you did some research in the secondary market for a copy. You want to play Angry Birds Space that bad?

Buggy Loop

burning alejandro jodorowsky GIF

What a fucking waste

Fbh

Seems way overpriced for a company whose main product isn't nearly as popular as it once was.

According to their site their revenue in 2022 was $317 million and the operating profit was $39 million. Hardly seems worth the billion dollar investment specially with nothing exciting on the horizon.

feynoob

Banned
I am going post this here, since people dont understand how good this deal is for sega.
They arent clown. If anything, its smart move.
Mobile brings alot of money, and having a proven mobile game is good for sega.
This is their revenue
YearRovio Annual Revenue
2022€317.7 million
2021€286.2 million
2020€272.3 million
2019€289.1 million
2018€281.2 million
2017€297.2 million
2016€191.7 million
2015€142.1 million
2014€158.3 million
2013€173.5 million
2012€152.2 million
2011€75.6 million
2010€6.5 million

hemo memo

Gold Member
Here is a better idea. Put 600 million budget to remake Persona 1,2,3,4 and save 400 million instead of this awful acquisition. Or just give that 1 billion Atlus, they will definitely spend it better.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I am going post this here, since people dont understand how good this deal is for sega.
And i’m gonna quote this post here so people know how awful this deal is:

Seems way overpriced for a company whose main product isn't nearly as popular as it once was.

According to their site their revenue in 2022 was $317 million and the operating profit was $39 million. Hardly seems worth the billion dollar investment specially with nothing exciting on the horizon.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Angry birds has made much more money on merchandise and licensing than they ever did with the actual game. So maybe sega has a plan for that.
"In 2022, Rovio Entertainment, the developer of the popular mobile game Angry Birds generated 317.7 million euros in revenue. The majority of company revenues were generated via games, with brand licensing only accounting for 3.5 percent of the total result."
Sounds like they are still pulling in major revenue from games but the 'angry birds' on everything has died down.

I mean.... that's enough profit for Sega to make their money back in the next 4-5 years.

And this right here is why Sega doesn’t make hardware anymore. And after this, it’ll probably be the reason why they don’t make games anymore.

Sojiro

But why? Has Rovio done anything even remotely relevant other than Angry Birds? Just seems like such a bone headed decision.

Shubh_C63

It must be solely for the IP because what exactly Sega can learn from Rovio/Angry Birds. Sega has more knowledge about mobile game making and merchandising.

DeVeAn

They probably want an experienced mobile developer to help them in that space. Makes sense long term.

feynoob

Banned
Revenue doesn't paint the whole picture.

This is a nonsensical deal if the quoted figures are true.
Its not, considering the IPs that sega has.
Having a company that prints these type of revenue is generally a good thing, as they can generate more revenue, if you the content. Sega has the IPs to make a cash cow mobile games, and rovio has the mobile expertise.

They also have cloud infrastructe that is called beacon.

https://www.rovio.com/beacon/

Last edited:
Top Bottom