• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Ramune

Any kind soul want let me know what this says?

I just started getting it on boot up. I also just put in an Action Replay. I only have 34 save blocks left in system memory so maybe it is warning me I'm getting low?

5757048F-5943-4845-80A1-FD65B582C387-11951-00000CEDADFE24BC.jpg

Also, got to try out the Saturn/PS adapter. Works like a champ...recommended!

B03F8330-19D4-48AD-A056-D1A788AC8E2A-11951-00000CEFC2382172.jpg

Just going to take an educated guess and say it's telling you in order to save "Score Ranking" you need at least 36 blocks of memory which your Saturn doesn't have at the moment. Press L & R + Reset button to go to Saturn's Data Management screen?

Is that really a Playstation adapter for Saturn? Saturn already has the best 2D controller and the 3D Pad is fine...wait, I see! Playstation 1 (& 2?) joysticks! *drools at the thought for shmups* What's the brand and name so we can look out for it? :)

Yes Boss!

Just going to take an educated guess and say it's telling you in order to save "Score Ranking" you need at least 36 blocks of memory which your Saturn doesn't have at the moment. Press L & R + Reset button to go to Saturn's Data Management screen?

Is that really a Playstation adapter for Saturn? Saturn already has the best 2D controller and the 3D Pad is fine...wait, I see! Playstation 1 (& 2?) joysticks! *drools at the thought for shmups* What's the brand and name so we can look out for it? :)

After getting a pop-up message that differed for each game I finally figured out that it was indeed a space issue. Cleared some blocks and moved them to the backup cartridge and all is fine. But, yeah, internal save on Saturn is smallish...only about twenty different save files till filled up.

I got the adapter because I have much nicer sticks for PS1/2 than Saturn. It was called Totatek and was in the pickup thread a few months back. Working good so far.

My little PS Fighting stick is awesome. Picked it up used and I love it. About as good as any stick in my collection with a metal top.

meppi

Can't read all of it, but that's indeed what it comes down to.

Asking you if you'd like to either manage your data on the internal RAM and make room for saving this game, or if you would like to go ahead and play the game without saving.

Yes Boss!, do keep in mind that some games can save directly to en external RAM cartridge while others can only save to the internal RAM.
So it's a good idea to copy all the internal save files to the external cart and delete them from the system, then boot up your games and see if they take the RAM cart saves or if they create a new internal one.
That way you can keep the ones that use the external cart off your system and have more room on the internal RAM for the ones that can only use it.

Wish I could post a link to a list, but I can't seem to find one.

Oh and you can always mod the official Japanese Sega Saturn stick with Sanwa parts. :)
The European ones are pretty terrible though and cant be modded either.

Been spending a lot of time with Dragon Force recently after getting a new console off ebay, but now it's time to move on. Think I'm gonna marathon all 5 parallels of Dark Savior. I have two copies of the game for some unknown reason (maybe they've been breeding while I've kept them in storage).

on the other hand, there's an ebay seller with a $20 3-in-1 (SS,PSX,N64) usb adapter. anyone have any experience with it?

I recently got one of these because I was fed up with using my 360 controller with its crappy d-pad on PC games. Only tried it with the Saturn pad so far but it was really easy to set up and works beautifully.

Yes Boss!

Oh and you can always mod the official Japanese Sega Saturn stick with Sanwa parts. :)
The European ones are pretty terrible though and cant be modded either.

My saturn sticks are two in total: the cheapy astro cab looking one and the ghetto grey version. Sad state of affairs. Really should pay to have a custom one built.

I'm probably going look into modding the astro looking one. Just got to get it out of storage next year. Also, going to try the HRAP2 PS2 next uear (storage again).

Dream, of course, is two find the big double stick. That has been frustrating, though.

morch

Been spending a lot of time with Dragon Force recently after getting a new console off ebay, but now it's time to move on. Think I'm gonna marathon all 5 parallels of Dark Savior. I have two copies of the game for some unknown reason (maybe they've been breeding while I've kept them in storage).

I recently got one of these because I was fed up with using my 360 controller with its crappy d-pad on PC games. Only tried it with the Saturn pad so far but it was really easy to set up and works beautifully.

i had one but i found it a bit annoying with the holding start making it go a bit funny, otherwise it's nice

thankfully i got 2 of the SLS knockoffs (solid grey ones in jap boxes) a couple of years ago for £30 :D takes a beating on mame for street fighter and mega drive emulators

Shion

Does anybody know how can I record some footage from SSF?

Fraps slows everything down and the "video record" option on SSF gives me a weird file that I have no idea what to do with it.

Does anybody know how can I record some footage from SSF?

Fraps slows everything down and the "video record" option on SSF gives me a weird file that I have no idea what to do with it.

You have to use a utility called AviUtl to open those files and save them to a typical format like AVI.

Yes Boss!

Since, the thread has been bumped,

Would Saturn folks consider Wolf Fang a shooter? Or is is more a run-n-gun/metal slug thing?

Forced scrolling run n' gun?

Add: Goddamnit I need to warm up the Saturn. I have literally been playing nothing but Code of Princess on my 3DS for the last month. Maybe I can do another shmups meet or something. Anyone in Austin interested?

Yes Boss!

Forced scrolling run n' gun?

Add: Goddamnit I need to warm up the Saturn. I have literally been playing nothing but Code of Princess on my 3DS for the last month.

I'm just trying to compile the full list of shooters for the system. I'm using racketboy's list but I'm sure there are some borderline titles. In the Hunt, I'm including and videos make Wolf Fang seem similar.

Code of Princess recommended? Yes?

I'm pretty relaxed in my definition of shmup. I would classify games like In the Hunt and Wolf Fang as in the same family.

Code of Princess, yes. Especially if you enjoyed Guardian Heroes. Make sure you read up on it and watch a few reviews. It's a bit more linear and arena based than GH was. The combat is just as over the top and insane though.

Yes Boss!

I'll add it to my list.

Been wanting Code of Princess for a bit. Will get. There is a real lack of quality third-party games on 3DS right now. Hopefully 2013 is better.

Yes Boss!

Enemy zero and nights was fond memories.

As a Michael Nyman super-fan I approve. Probably have about a hundred of his recordings and the Enemy Zero score was such a bizzare and random choice for Kenji Eno...but it makes sense since The Piano was so damn huge in Japan (and all the Greenaway stuff re-appropriated for Iron Chef, of all things).

I've got both the US and Japan versions of EO.

nyman.jpg

Teknoman

Quick question about the Saturn Action Replay 4m Plus. I bought one from another GAF member awhile back, and its worked perfectly...however I just read a few posts on another forum that certain versions of the cartridge (shipped before 04.16.1998) have some RAM compatibility issues with games like the Dungeons and Dragons collection along with Vampire Savior.

Is there any way to tell what date the cartridge was manufactured or shipped, or can you just tell by the action replay firmware (mine is 2.01)? Its got the parallel port on top of the cart if that makes any difference.

Quick question about the Saturn Action Replay 4m Plus. I bought one from another GAF member awhile back, and its worked perfectly...however I just read a few posts on another forum that certain versions of the cartridge (shipped before 04.16.1998) have some RAM compatibility issues with games like the Dungeons and Dragons collection along with Vampire Savior.

Is there any way to tell what date the cartridge was manufactured or shipped, or can you just tell by the action replay firmware (mine is 2.01)? Its got the parallel port on top of the cart if that makes any difference.

I think the only way to tell is by trying it. The serial port on top does not necessarily mean it will work with those games, as I know first hand mine didn't. If it doesn't work, it can be modified to work if you follow these instructions: http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/information/4MBRAM-mod.htm

Teknoman

I guess i'll go with something fairly cheap (compared to D&D anyway) and not re-released like MSH vs SF to test things out. Or does it have to be a game released after a certain date to accurately test?

Teknoman

This post reminds me I need D&D. Looks like a real good beat-em-up. =_=

Yeah it looks great...and it doesnt help that i've been on a real action kick lately. I think Shadows of Mystaria is the part of the collection that needs the ram? Was watching a Game Sack video talking about it.

I need to get In the Hunt at some point too...which i've read people have had problems playing the JP version with the 4mplus as well? Maybe I misread. I know Black Falcon says the PS1 version is better, but there is just something about playing shoot em ups on the Saturn.

Seik

Banned
Yeah it looks great...and it doesnt help that i've been on a real action kick lately. I think Shadows of Mystaria is the part of the collection that needs the ram? Was watching a Game Sack video talking about it.

Dunno, but I have a Action Replay 4in1 so I'll be okay even without it.

Still, I need to wait a bit, that Wii U launch cost me a shitload of money. D:

Teknoman

Dunno, but I have a Action Replay 4in1 so I'll be okay even without it.

Still, I need to wait a bit, that Wii U launch cost me a shitload of money. D:

Yeah same here. I dunno why I thought it would be cheaper lol. But with someone selling MSH vs SF for like 20 bucks on Amazon, I figure I can use that to test the 4 in 1 ram, and then just figure out what I want to do from there.

Probably wont be touching D&D until I can save up some Amazon gift cards lol. Just cant see spending 100+ on any game alone.

woodypop

I need to get In the Hunt at some point too...which i've read people have had problems playing the JP version with the 4mplus as well? Maybe I misread. I know Black Falcon says the PS1 version is better, but there is just something about playing shoot em ups on the Saturn.
Does the JP version of In the Hunt use the RAM cart? I didn't know that.

Teknoman

I think the only way to tell is by trying it. The serial port on top does not necessarily mean it will work with those games, as I know first hand mine didn't. If it doesn't work, it can be modified to work if you follow these instructions: http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/information/4MBRAM-mod.htm

Looking at the traces on the cart I have, they dont seem to match the first picture. Its closer to picture 3 in that the trace that the guide recommends to cut, isnt on my board, and its already got a trace leading between the two points where the guide recommends to solder the wire...so I guess i'm in the clear.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

IIRC, if your cart has a switch to change between 1MB and 4MB RAM modes, then you're good. I believe this is the difference between the "4-in-1" and "4-in-1 Plus."

Teknoman

IIRC, if your cart has a switch to change between 1MB and 4MB RAM modes, then you're good. I believe this is the difference between the "4-in-1" and "4-in-1 Plus."

As in a physical switch on the outside of the cart, or that the cart auto-switches on its own? Either way this is what I have:

Cart-AReplay4MB.gif

I'm pretty confident that it'll work just fine, now that i've opened it and checked against that shinforce.com image:

SAT-4MBRAM-mod2.jpg

They recommend modding if your board looks like this^ (the trace that needs to be cut is highlighted in white).

SAT-4MBRAM-mod3.jpg

But my board looks like this ^ , where the traces already match the way they should look after the mod (similar to the two points with "O". An actual trace, not a placed/soldered piece of wire).

Teknoman

Whoo Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter works perfectly! It looks kinda jumpy at the character select screen...but that might be something else. Just glad the ram feature works.

The Saturn version is pretty much a straight arcade port. It has massive amounts of slowdown, only the arcade content, and does not save your high scores (or settings or anything).

On the other hand, the PS1 version has reduced slowdown, does have high score table and options saving, and has an option for a CD audio soundtrack option, instead of just the arcade PCM track that both ports have. It really is all-around better.

It is funny that a 2d game is better on PS1, but this isn't the only case -- there are some other 2d games that I've read are technically better on PS1, such as Strikers 1945 II (released in the US on PS1 as "Strikers 1945", but it's the second one), or of course Castlevania SotN. I agree that I'd rather play games on Saturn than PS1, absolutely, but in this case, where In the Hunt has so much more stuff than the Saturn version, I can't justify getting it when the PS1 one is so much better.

But why would you import it anyway, if you really wanted the Saturn version? Is that cheaper than the US release?

Yeah, only one of the two D&D Collection games supports the RAM pack. The other has much longer load times.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

picked up a few games recently. playing through grandia properly for the first time right now. it's really good! i am in love with the soundtrack.

also, bulk slash is tha bidness. for serious.

edit: i'm not kidding, bulk slash is the secret best saturn game ever. everyone should buy it.

woodypop

The Saturn version is pretty much a straight arcade port. It has massive amounts of slowdown, only the arcade content, and does not save your high scores (or settings or anything).

On the other hand, the PS1 version has reduced slowdown, does have high score table and options saving, and has an option for a CD audio soundtrack option, instead of just the arcade PCM track that both ports have. It really is all-around better.
Does the PS1 version retain all the frames of animation?

Symytry

c244a578f5d94350df96bccfbacfcedb713bb684.jpg

Ah the memories. It's almost criminal nobody posted a screenshot from the best Saturn game ever until now! I know know how I will be playing PDS again! I wish you could up the resolution, but it appears that can't happen.

I was thinking the same thing... Definitely still the best of the best Saturn memories. For some reason, Wachenroder also popped into my head. I loved that game!

Dave Long

Banned
So I FINALLY got Necronomicon from a Japanese seller. Paid just $15 with slow boat shipping! It's not quite as awesome as Last Gladiators: Digital Pinball, but it's close and that's good enough for me. Kaze Co. produced some of the best videogame pinball I've ever played and it's great to get three more tables to enjoy.

I am sorely tempted to track down Bulk Slash now. I remember reading about that a long time ago and digging what I saw. I really love the Saturn. I can't figure out which I love more... Genesis, Saturn or Dreamcast, but I know I'll always have them hooked up to play at a moment's notice. Many of my all-time favorites are on these systems.

Sanctuary

Appreciate the sentiment, but nothing beats the real thing.

My Saturn's always hooked up.

I think it looks good in HD, too. Better audio quality than my PS3, no less.

Are you using an upscaler? Because it looks absolutely awful on my plasma.

Anyway, the Saturn was probably my most played system of the 90s. Yeah, I played all of the big games on the PSX as well, but once SF2 hit at the arcades, I was completely hooked on fighting games, and the Saturn was the Capcom fighting game console, with probably the best designed gamepads ever for fighting games. It also had the fabulous Dragon Force, Megaman X4 and Radiant Silvergun. Other than those games though, I didn't find it too memorable of a system library wise. I had Panzer Dragoon Saga, but after about halfway through it just felt like I was going through the motions, so I lost interest. I also had Shining Force 3, but I really didn't like the way it looked on the Saturn compared to the sprite style of the two on the Genesis.

So I FINALLY got Necronomicon from a Japanese seller. Paid just $15 with slow boat shipping! It's not quite as awesome as Last Gladiators: Digital Pinball, but it's close and that's good enough for me. Kaze Co. produced some of the best videogame pinball I've ever played and it's great to get three more tables to enjoy.

I am sorely tempted to track down Bulk Slash now. I remember reading about that a long time ago and digging what I saw. I really love the Saturn. I can't figure out which I love more... Genesis, Saturn or Dreamcast, but I know I'll always have them hooked up to play at a moment's notice. Many of my all-time favorites are on these systems.

You think Last Gladiators is better? I always hear the opposite.

Are you using an upscaler? Because it looks absolutely awful on my plasma.

What cables are you using? I hate to sound like a Best Buy employee, but your AV setup is only as good as your cables. RGB or go home.

and get your ass a CRT!

Dave Long

Banned
You think Last Gladiators is better? I always hear the opposite.
It's still early. I only got it last week. However, I do think the total presentation is better in Last Gladiators and the music and voice sampling is less repetitive than in Necronomicon. The music is overall just better also, IMO.

Playwise, the tables are probably of the same high quality in both games. These are easily the best pinball games of that era and maybe the best ever produced with original tables not trying to replicate real ones.

3rdman

I really have to update my Saturn Emu and try it again...I must admit I became a bit spoiled using GiriGiri and its ability to render the games in HD. I keep hoping that someone will finally release the source code for that emu as it's stellar...perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. Are any of the emus out there capably of rendering in HD?

Top Bottom