• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The Saturn version had a really good implementation of Sonic 2 style special stages. Nothing else in the game is worth playing, so the Saturn version wins by default.

vireland

Oh, and I always recommend Mr. Bones. A unique and charming multiple genre single player experience. Underrated and fairly affordable.

Ha. Funny Mr. Bones story. I was on a plane to or from E3 one year (I think it was maybe Atlanta?) and the producer/director of Mr. Bones was one row back across the aisle. He said something complementary about what we did and said he did Mr. Bones, and I responded with "oh, yeah, that one has great music", but they took it as "that game sucked, all I can say is the music was good" and looked at me incredulously then turned to his traveling partner with a "what the f?"

Awkward (especially since that wasn't what I was implying at all).

Teknoman

The Genesis version of 3D Blast having a better soundtrack?

i6H4EL8gXTlaW.gif

http://youtu.be/np76lPXKfCo?t=16s

No contest.

I can still imagine a 2D Saturn Sonic with 3D character models and 2D gameplay...and those bonus stages.

The Genesis version of 3D Blast having a better soundtrack?

i6H4EL8gXTlaW.gif

http://youtu.be/np76lPXKfCo?t=16s

No contest.

I can still imagine a 2D Saturn Sonic with 3D character models and 2D gameplay...and those bonus stages.

I'll play a game based on that bonus stage alone. Best part of the Saturn remake.

Genesis one has this though

http://youtu.be/Mf7-ixllcgo

http://youtu.be/5uNUdf_AZoE

Besides music, I like Genesis 3D blast more because seems more like a techical achievement.

Teknoman

Diamond Dust zone Act 1 16bit does have a good sound to it.

What was on the Bootleg again? Was it the demo that came in a sleeve that looked like a brown paper bag or something?

BTails

I just finally played (and beat) Sonic 3D Blast ablut a month ago on the Saturn. The music was pretty great, and the bonus stages are probably the best ever for Sonic. A couple bosses were tough, but other than that it was pretty darn easy.

Quite a fun playthrough for the first few acts, but I was bored by the end.

AmyS

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On [Windows PC 3D accelerated PowerVR version]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYj7y5YMfTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAC-yWCOScw

^Looks really nice running on a PC with the Matrox M3D card (PowerVR PCX2) the refresh / revision of PCX1. Both were first gen PowerVR Series 1 chips, an entire generation before PowerVR2, of which, a custom version was used in Dreamcast and NAOMI, PowerVR2DC aka CLX2.

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (電脳戦機バーチャロン Dennō Senki Bācharon?) was released in arcades and for Sega Saturn and PC, all in both America and Japan. There were actually two PC versions released, a normal version for North America and a 3D accelerated version for Japan. There were also two-player online versions of the game released in America and Japan for the Sega Saturn using the NetLink and XBAND services. A PlayStation 2 version was released on October 30, 2007, as part of the Sega Ages 2500 line, featuring improved framerates, music and additional features not found in the original versions.

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Cyber_Troopers_Virtual-On:_Operation_Moongate

PS3 and Xbox 360 got a port of Model 2 arcade Cyber Troopers Virtual-On on PSN / XBLA in Japan, I wish the western world could play it without having to create a Japanese count.

360 / XBLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfNN7TvqQro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuVQn6vG1BI

Japanese PS2 also got a port (Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 31)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153-bGnXK4g&list=PLgwdsbkcm-n-j4C6xrEBoXflXe6cMuy3h&index=1

Khaz

I have both the Saturn and the PS2 versions and they are very good. Sega did a good job at converting the controls to the traditional gamepad, you don't miss the Twinstick and the game looks very good on the Saturn. On the other hand the Dual Shock is very good at simulating the Twinstick. I'm usually not a fan of Playstation controllers due to their stick symmetry, but it's for the better with this game.

I love this game

AmyS

I have both the Saturn and the PS2 versions and they are very good. Sega did a good job at converting the controls to the traditional gamepad, you don't miss the Twinstick and the game looks very good on the Saturn. On the other hand the Dual Shock is very good at simulating the Twinstick. I'm usually not a fan of Playstation controllers due to their stick symmetry, but it's for the better with this game.

I love this game

Sweet.

I always wanted to see what the Model 3 version of VOOT looked like in motion, after owning the Japanese Dreamcast import.

After a bidding frenzy, the following items are on their way:
Action Reply 4M
2x Total Control 3
2x White Japanese controllers
Virtua Cop with Stunner
Virtua Cop 2
Golden Axe: The Duel
Metal Slug
Darius Gaiden
Xmen vs Street Fighter with 4M cart
Dynamite Deka
Virtual ON
Cyberbots
Guardian Heroes
Tempest 2000
Dayton USA Circuit Edition
Sega Rally Championship Edition
Firepro Wrestling S
Xmen Children of the Atom
I feel like it's a good start.

Khaz

Guys, quick reminder that we're having a permanent ranking for several games. Currently Sega Rally and Daytona USA, because most people have it, but we can add other games with times or scores if enough people are interested in competing in. It's a ranking, you don't have to beat the high score to get in, it's more to see where you place in relation to other Gaffers. Although if you do beat some scores, it's even better! Be competitive! Beat your GAF nemesis!

You don't need to provide proof, it's all in a friendly way.
Everybody has an Action replay to modify everything anyway.
But you can show it off, it will be appreciated! Only if people express doubts at extraordinay claims then screenshots will be demanded.

Measure yourself to GAF!

Sega Rally Championship

Arcade, 1 lap
  1. 3'27"27 khaz (celica, auto)
  2. 3'31"42 flohen95
Arcade, 3 laps
  1. 10'26"43 flohen95
Time attack, Desert 3 laps
  1. 2'42"30 fastest lap 0'53"49 khaz (Celica, auto)
  2. 2'47"62 fastest lap 0'54"35 flohen95
  3. ---------- fastest lap 0'54"00 MoGamesXNA (Celica, manual)

Daytona USA

Arcade, Three Seven Speedway
  1. 2'31"02 fastest lap 0'18"18 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 2'31"07 fastest lap 0'18"17 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 2'31"38 fastest lap 0'17"90 Celine (CE, Magic auto)
Dinosaur Canyon
  1. 3'18"44 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'21"41 fastest lap 0'47"91 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 3'35"02 fastest lap 0'51"53 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
Seaside Street Galaxy
  1. 3'38"44 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'53"64 fastest lap 1'53"95 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 4'05"13 fastest lap 1'59"79 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
National Park Speedway
  1. 3'41"66 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 4'04"00 fastest lap 0'36"69 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. ---------- fastest lap 0'38"96 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
Desert City
  1. 3'33"65 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'50"29 fastest lap 0'53"89 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 3'59"41 fastest lap 0'54"89 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)

[edit] Nights could be a good game to compete on too. It's score-based, and everybody should have it anyway because it's a really good game and iconic of the console. I'm not really good at it though but I'll give it a try if other people are interested.

originalself

Neo Member
Action Reply 4M
2x Total Control 3
Virtua Cop with Stunner
Virtua Cop 2
Metal Slug
Darius Gaiden
Dynamite Deka
Virtual ON
Cyberbots
Guardian Heroes
Tempest 2000
Firepro Wrestling S
Congratulations! That is a very nice start.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, anyone play Keio Flying Squadron 2/ Keio Yuugekitai Katsugekihen

I grabbed this recently out of curiosity and genuinely love it. It's a beautiful 2D platformer with great 2D shooter segments. It's a very focused game but it's really quite addictive and challenging. Honestly, it's one of the best looking platformers I've seen on the Saturn. Really beautiful pixel art and great animation.

d9Y.png
e9Y.png
f9Y.png

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Action Reply 4M
2x Total Control 3
Virtua Cop with Stunner
Virtua Cop 2
Metal Slug
Darius Gaiden
Dynamite Deka
Virtual ON
Cyberbots
Guardian Heroes
Tempest 2000
Firepro Wrestling S
needs more Vf2 and last Bronx

kinn

They did an excellent job. I am almost through scenario 2 now.
I also recommend using the scenario 1 patch since it fixes the changes from the original.

Are they complete fully? I used to follow their progress and they always had things to do like the bookshelves, insert lines etc.

Ramune

Hmm, anyone play Keio Flying Squadron 2/ Keio Yuugekitai Katsugekihen

I grabbed this recently out of curiosity and genuinely love it. It's a beautiful 2D platformer with great 2D shooter segments. It's a very focused game but it's really quite addictive and challenging. Honestly, it's one of the best looking platformers I've seen on the Saturn. Really beautiful pixel art and great animation.

d9Y.png
e9Y.png
f9Y.png

Most definitely. I have the European version, and it plays great on a NA Saturn. Just a few things with audio not finishing in the between level segments, but its not important. And the hidden depth in its scoring system, and unlocking all the omake pictures. Shows just how much the game tries its best to deviously mess up your high score by sending it to the negative for not following the game's rules. Ha ha! And its absolutely gorgeous. Its even better on an RGB source, like your pics show (from an emulator?)

Tain

PS3 and Xbox 360 got a port of Model 2 arcade Cyber Troopers Virtual-On on PSN / XBLA in Japan, I wish the western world could play it without having to create a Japanese count.

All three of the 360 Virtual On releases are great. It's really nice to have the best version of every arcade game in the series on one console. I'd imagine even moreso with those super deluxe sticks.

originalself

Neo Member
Are they complete fully? I used to follow their progress and they always had things to do like the bookshelves, insert lines etc.

They just released ver 15 that tweaked a few translations across the board. While playing scenario 1&2 I did not run into a single line of untranslated text.

Khaz

They just released ver 15 that tweaked a few translations across the board. While playing scenario 1&2 I did not run into a single line of untranslated text.
V15 plus the latest blog note makes the first episode complete and finished. The last two are completely translated and the text is inserted, they are replaying it in order to debug everything (text corrupted or misplaced, etc). We may have the second episode next year with the last one a year after.

I just unearthed my Sega Saturn from my closet and I have a few questions.

1: I have a Datel Pro Universal Adapter for import games, but I'm not quite sure how to get it to work. I put it in the cartridge slot and loaded up my Japanese Marvel Super Heroes and it doesn't seem to load the disc. I tried my US X-Men: COTA and that works fine.

2: There doesn't seem to be any sound. I made sure the cables are firmly plugged in and I get nothing. Picture shows, but no sound. Is it possible it's the cable or is there something that could go wrong over time with the system itself?

Mzo

The Saturn's cart slot is shit. Check the memory manager to make sure it's registering the cart.

Sound issue, though, I have no idea.

Yeah that cover is great. I like a lot of the Japanese cover art more than the Western releases actually. Wipeout XL is one of my faves:

Sorry, but no. It looks like a cheap photoshop combining random Wipeout design and 3D renders of ships, why are there two Feisars with different sizes on the cover?

All the design and artwork in the first three Wipeout games were done by the UK based The Designers Republic, a graphic design studio praised for their modern designs of advertisements and album covers at the time. The original PAL covers is where their great design really shines through:

Other examples of typical design from TDR in the mid-nineties:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Most definitely. I have the European version, and it plays great on a NA Saturn. Just a few things with audio not finishing in the between level segments, but its not important. And the hidden depth in its scoring system, and unlocking all the omake pictures. Shows just how much the game tries its best to deviously mess up your high score by sending it to the negative for not following the game's rules. Ha ha! And its absolutely gorgeous. Its even better on an RGB source, like your pics show (from an emulator?)
Yeah, I just pulled those shots from HG101's article on it but I'm also playing it via RGB on a Japanese Saturn. It's really remarkably beautiful.

How did they handle the localization, by the way? They go way overboard with the kanji usage in the JP version even displaying the score that way. Did they translate all of the stuff in the omake section? The letter from the creators was kind of a strange inclusion, I thought.

Ramune

Yeah, I just pulled those shots from HG101's article on it but I'm also playing it via RGB on a Japanese Saturn. It's really remarkably beautiful.

How did they handle the localization, by the way? They go way overboard with the kanji usage in the JP version even displaying the score that way. Did they translate all of the stuff in the omake section? The letter from the creators was kind of a strange inclusion, I thought.

DSC_0066.PNG

They translated what was basically important (Hud, text from enemies, omake pictures) but still pet background stuff like the kappa sign untranslated. The returning characters used the same voice actors from the Sega CD game, so there's some consistency there if you played that. Though unlike the Sega CD game, they dubbed the in-game speech too this time around. Don't remember cringing at the dub so its pretty decent for what it was. Im sure there is creative liberties done, but for a silly game like this, I don't think being 100% faithful is possible. :)

Btw, what was the letter from the creators? I might be forgetting something...

reson8or

Recently picked this up myself. Its a really great game. So many little touches throughout the levels, you can tell a lot of passion went into making the game. So happy I have this game now.

mltplkxr

Sorry, but no. It looks like a cheap photoshop combining random Wipeout design and 3D renders of ships, why are there two Feisars with different sizes on the cover?

All the design and artwork in the first three Wipeout games were done by the UK based The Designers Republic, a graphic design studio praised for their modern designs of advertisements and album covers at the time. The original PAL covers is where their great design really shines through:

Other examples of typical design from TDR in the mid-nineties:

Love love love TDR. So glad I bought some of their posters before it was too late.

mltplkxr

2: There doesn't seem to be any sound. I made sure the cables are firmly plugged in and I get nothing. Picture shows, but no sound. Is it possible it's the cable or is there something that could go wrong over time with the system itself?

Have you checked the pins on the end that plugs into the Saturn? Mine had a pin that was pushed in. It didn't connect and so there was no sound on the left channel. Pulled it out to make it as long as the right channel pin and it fixed the issue.

S-Video cables are pretty cheap btw.

Have you checked the pins on the end that plugs into the Saturn? Mine had a pin that was pushed in. It didn't connect and so there was no sound on the left channel. Pulled it out to make it as long as the right channel pin and it fixed the issue.

S-Video cables are pretty cheap btw.
I'll take a look when I get home and make sure the pins are okay. A local retro game store has Saturn cables for $10 so its not too big of a deal.

morch

I somehow lost my white sega saturn's battery panel during our family house move around, i feel a great loss over something so small...

anyone know any websites to check other than ebay? even japanese sites or something

I'm late to this argument, but Richard Jacques's Saturn/PC soundtrack > Senoue/Maeda's Genesis/Mega Drive soundtrack for Rusty Ruins alone. I am a huge sucker for piano pieces like that.

Top Bottom