• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

jerry1594

Anybody take apart their controllers and clean them? If so, what do you use to dry them off? I stupidly used a dish towel and it left some scratches on the back of mine :(

MikeMyers

Hmm, my Action Replay didn't work when I tried it today. Had to take it out and put it back in to get it to work. Wonder what happened there?

I love the consistency of the CD art on the SF games, each in a shade of colour. Since these are SF games I can afford, anybody have a pic of Zero 3's disc?

CNbeKVNUcAAAIZW.jpg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Any idea if the port runs at 240p or did they make it 480i only.
I'm guessing if youre saying the aspect ratio is right it should be 240p and support rgb.

No, it's not specifically a resolution problem. The image is literally not displayed correctly when compared against the arcade version; the Saturn version stretches it horizontally making everyone appear a bit fatter.

No, it's not specifically a resolution problem. The image is literally not displayed correctly when compared against the arcade version; the Saturn version stretches it horizontally making everyone appear a bit fatter.

Gotcha.
So the ps1 version, any idea if that supports 240p/RGB?
As far as I knew only the saturn version did.

Thanks man

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People, go vote for your favourite 5th gen games if you haven't done so already! The lack of participation is mildly troubling to me. xD Classics like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III and Guardian Heroes could use a few more votes I think.

If you love Zuntata tunes, the soundtracks for Darius Gaiden and Layer Section are on the game discs as redbook audio. I'm a weirdo and listened to them in the gym today.

cj_iwakura

I only own the PS2 version on Taito Legends 2, sadly.

(I listen to Yuzo Koshiro's Maximum Tune OSTs all the time, how can I judge?)

cj_iwakura

I wore my first copy of Lunar: The Silver Star out by using it as an audio CD so many times. Heh, it also has the voice acting, so I almost spoiled myself on plot developments the first time I played it.

Sadly EB SCD only has the main theme and Lucia's song(which are still great to have).

DCharlie

Banned
He still posts from time to time, not as much as the GAF early days, though. He has a family now.

I love how he bought, sold and rebought his retro collection so many times over lol.

bought - sold - rebought,
bought - sold - rebought,
bought - sold

and looking at the prices of stuff i sold a few years back - to see what they are going for now in Akihabara today....

240k for a boxed Rendering Ranger?!

hot retrogaming tears. I sold out too soon. But hey. I'll survive, but i sure as hell aint buying this stuff back. Even low level stuff like Wild Guns boxes is hitting 50k yen :/ It's stupid right now - and a few of the big stores are starting to look like the retro isn't going to be restocked.

cj_iwakura

First is a decent little romp. Short, runs like shit, hasn't aged very well, but I still have fun when I go back to it.

That about sums it up. It was worth the $50 I paid for it at launch, but what it goes for now? No way.

It also has two campaigns, if that matters, and people you can rescue, kind of like Space Channel 5.

What does SaturnGAF think of Burning Rangers & Die Hard Arcade?

Unless you're really hardcore about owning early Sonic Team work, I'd say pass on BR if the asking price is over $50, it just didn't age all too well and the dub was rather meh to be honest.

If you don't own the SEGA Ages version of Dynamite Deka, then by all means get the Saturn version.

MikeMyers

Will get Die Hard Arcade then.

The import version of Burning Rangers goes for $25 on amazon.

I'm a big fan of Sonic/Ristar and Nights is my all-time favourite game ever made, but starting with the Dreamcast I began to dislike Sonic Teams work. So I'm kinda torn wherever I'd like Burning Rangers.

The import version of Burning Rangers goes for $25 on amazon.
Do you speak Japanese? If not, you will likely be hopelessly lost. The game extensively uses voiced dialog from your navigator to tell you where to go. Memorization will only get you so far, too, as they randomize the stages a bit each time (not too much, but certain rooms will open up on one playthrough and be completely shut the next).

This is partly why that game is so expensive now. I paid $50 in 2008-2010 or so and it seemed high then...

Frankly, it's a game screaming for a remake a la the recent NiGHTS do-overs. If only so it runs at a solid 30 FPS instead of dipping all the time.

AniHawk

i guess it wasn't known before in threads like these, but there is a game of gen 5 voting thread and soundtracks of gen 5 voting thread going on right now. just make sure to read the first post first if you feel like contributing!

edit: woops - i see it was already covered. well, now people should know about the soundtrack thread at least.

also, to be on topic, i am borrowing panzer dragoon saga and i have been waiting to start it. kind of too excited to do it knowing it's one of those rare classics.

Ah, so its not an import friendly game? What about DH Arcade? Can't think it would be too hard outside of some QTE's.

Die Hard Arcade can be played in Japanese pretty easily (well when I played the Ages version, though I have the English Saturn version), worst case the only thing you'd have to memorize is the Katakana for Jump(ジャンプ), Punch (パンチ), and Kick (キック).

also, to be on topic, i am borrowing panzer dragoon saga and i have been waiting to start it. kind of too excited to do it knowing it's one of those rare classics.
Know that its length is deceptive. Four discs, but it's still over pretty quickly. My first run clocked in at 12 hours - although I admittedly missed a few sidequests.

That said, it's kind of like Chrono Trigger in that it's probably all the sweeter for its brief length, as it doesn't outstay its welcome in the slightest - and it does so many things differently-yet-exceedingly-well that I don't regret purchasing a copy at all.

AniHawk

Know that its length is deceptive. Four discs, but it's still over pretty quickly. My first run clocked in at 12 hours - although I admittedly missed a few sidequests.

That said, it's kind of like Chrono Trigger in that it's probably all the sweeter for its brief length, as it doesn't outstay its welcome in the slightest - and it does so many things differently-yet-exceedingly-well that I don't regret purchasing a copy at all.
yeah, i was made aware of its length before i took it into my possession. honestly, that's a plus in my book if a game has tight pacing, even if it clocks in at 12-20 hours.

No, it runs at an incorrect aspect ratio and has worse slowdown on some of the stages.

So after getting in the ps1 version and comparing it to the saturn version

Yes the ps1 version has less slowdown
Yes the aspect ratio looks much better

It also has a shortcut option to reduce loading times (removes VS screen portraits and win quotes after)

The only downside I've noticed is the controls. You have to input commands much faster than the saturn version (fireballs/dragon punches for example) to get them to come out consistent.

Great port though, thanks for the tip.

I don't have the same game on both systems (just the first SF collection on Saturn and SF Collection 2 on PS1), but comparing say, HF on PS1 and ST on Saturn, the difference in aspect ratio is noticeable, even if things like stage graphics aren't identical.

Top Bottom