• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

It's such a great game. Oh well.

for real forreal

So I gave Zwei another chance today. With the lock-on technique it made the game a bit more enjoyable to me.

Remember yesterday I said I just quit after beating level 3? Well today I played level 4, and then it clicked with me. Really liked the direction in that stage.

glad to hear it man! there's honestly not much more to it, see what you think of the final stages.

Technically you want a mix of the two. Jamming on the button is how you use Lundi's machine gun, and only that can shoot down certain projectiles... but holding down the button to let Lagi lock-on to tons of enemies at once is the quicker way to deal with multiple targets, IIRC. I forget which actually does more damage - probably the homing lasers, to counteract how much slower they are, but I really can't say for certain.

fair points, just trying to introduce the basics of the game

I haven't played Saga, but I will someday...

i'll say this, ABF: if you loved the stuff about PD/Z, and you're clearly able to visit & contemporize, i think you'll dig PDS. not to say it's gonna justify however many hundreds of dollars etc but if someone lent it to you or whatever, i think you'd get the hype. it's just on another level in some areas.

I liked the original Panzer Dragoon till I got to stage 5 then I just played Zwei.

Ehh i can dig it but Saga in particular references the endings of the others, it's worth tying them up beforehand!

MikeMyers

Here's the top 10 Saturn games from AniHawk's thread, but I added in the Arcade ports:

01. Panzer Dragoon Saga
02. NiGHTS Into Dreams...
03. Virtua Fighter 2
04. Shining Force III
05. Sega Rally Championship
06. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
07. Radiant Silvergun
08. Daytona USA
09. Guardian Heroes
10. X-Men vs. Street Fighter

I know the last one was on PlayStation too, but the PSX port is pretty bad to the point where I see SF fans just count it as Saturn-exclusive anyways.

Khaz

sega rally is lots of fun. short though.

GAME OVER YEAH

Not if you actually play the game. Finishing first in Arcade Mode is not an easy feat and will take many replays. And chasing the fastest laps can be very addicting, like in any other racers.

There was a collection of gaffers best times on Sega Rally and Daytona USA somewhere in this thread, maybe it could be brought back?

MikeMyers

Nice list. I see VF2 high on your list, have you played Fighters MegaMix or Fighting Vipers? It's a mash up of both games. I prefer it to VF2.

It's from the "best of Gen 5" that GAF people voted on. AniHawk made a Saturn-exclusive list, but it didn't include arcade ports, so I added them in.

But to answer your question, yes I have played both and enjoy them both. VF3 is actually my favourite Sega fighter, and I'm forever salty the Saturn version wasn't released.

Khaz

What do fans of Virtua Fighter think of Virtua Fighter Kids? I never see it mentioned even though it came after 2.

It's from the "best of Gen 5" that GAF people voted on. AniHawk made a Saturn-exclusive list, but it didn't include arcade ports, so I added them in.

But to answer your question, yes I have played both and enjoy them both. VF3 is actually my favourite Sega fighter, and I'm forever salty the Saturn version wasn't released.

Yeah, I just woke up from a nap and thought that was your list. LOL

Celine

Here's the top 10 Saturn games from AniHawk's thread, but I added in the Arcade ports:

01. Panzer Dragoon Saga
02. NiGHTS Into Dreams...
03. Virtua Fighter 2
04. Shining Force III
05. Sega Rally Championship
06. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
07. Radiant Silvergun
08. Daytona USA
09. Guardian Heroes
10. X-Men vs. Street Fighter

I know the last one was on PlayStation too, but the PSX port is pretty bad to the point where I see SF fans just count it as Saturn-exclusive anyways.
Overall a competent list.

sega rally is lots of fun. short though.

GAME OVER YEAH
As any classic arcade game it is very replayable especially thanks to the awesome handling.

There was a collection of gaffers best times on Sega Rally and Daytona USA somewhere in this thread, maybe it could be brought back?
Oh yeah, that was fun.
Not sure how many gaffers are interested though.

MikeMyers

What I really like about Fighting Vipers is that you can wear your opponent down. If you keep attacking them in certain areas, they become more vulnerable in that area. Wish some more fighting games did that. I know some WWE did it.

VF Kids is cute. Has some funny FMV's.

Timu

What I really like about Fighting Vipers is that you can wear your opponent down. If you keep attacking them in certain areas, they become more vulnerable in that area. Wish some more fighting games did that. I know some WWE did it.
Fighter's History does this.

Fuck it. I'm putting aside $100 of every paycheck for the next few months so that maybe I can buy PDS by Christmas.

Then the other half of it is actually finding a copy you are willing to spend all that money on. I've had cash ready for a while now but have not come across a good copy yet. :c

Khaz

What's the the story on KOF? Apparently some wont work with the AR Ram Cart?

King of fighters 95 needs its own ROM cart so cannot be region-freed with the Action replay cart.
The other King of fighters only need a 1M RAM cart so they're cool with the Action Replay.

VF Kids is cute. Has some funny FMV's.

The Data East game Fighters History Dynamite on Neo Geo and Saturn did this, IRC

So are the capcom generations 5 ports of SF better on saturn on ps1.
It seems for ST the ps1 edged out the saturn version so I'm assuming that's the case here as well.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think Oneida did a screenshot comparison of the two a couple of months ago.

Edit: Here it is
I should've noticed that the stretching is most obvious if you look at the star on the floor.
decent controller > correct aspect ratio imho
I play the Saturn version from time to time, it's mostly fine and the controller is much better. but it's hard to recommend an inferior port when it's also more expensive.

Yeah luckily my Hori SS stick also has a PCB that seems to work with the ps1, I had to solder in a ps1 controller cable to it but now it works on saturn/ps1/ps2. Also put in a Cthulhu so it works on the ps3 as well so I'm happy.

Since this thread probably contains more Panzer Dragoon fans than any other on Gaf, I'd like to ask the question about Crimson Dragon on the Xbox One. I actually thought it was quite okay to play through, kind of made me think a full production Panzer Dragoon would be cool. Any thoughts on it here?

Timu

Since this thread probably contains more Panzer Dragoon fans than any other on Gaf, I'd like to ask the question about Crimson Dragon on the Xbox One. I actually thought it was quite okay to play through, kind of made me think a full production Panzer Dragoon would be cool. Any thoughts on it here?
I hope a real Panzer Dragoon happens again because Crimson Dragon, while the weakest, isn't horrible and made me wish we got another Panzer Dragoon instead.

I hope a real Panzer Dragoon happens again because Crimson Dragon, while the weakest, isn't horrible and made me wish we got another Panzer Dragoon instead.

Kind of how I felt playing it too. I enjoyed it for what it was. It really could have needed the Panzer Dragoon franchise name though.

bjork

What do fans of Virtua Fighter think of Virtua Fighter Kids? I never see it mentioned even though it came after 2.

My dad's Wolf could beat anyone. He doesn't even like fighting games, but something about VF Kids tapped into some hidden well of godlike skill when he played it.

I don't think it really adds anything to VF2, it was more of a cash-grab with SD art style from what I've read. It's not like Fighters Megamix where there are some VF3 elements incorporated.

Teknoman

I FINALLY DID IT.

Or6VRgp.jpg

6Xea38c.jpg

1 down, 3 to go!

My thumbs haven't had a work out like that in forever.

Really wish the art and composers for the series would do an RPG or 3D adventure game for this generation.

Is there a good list of recommended Saturn imports out there? I'm in Tokyo for the next few months, and I'd like to buy a system with a few games. I *loved* the Saturn when it came out, and I've always wanted to check out what's available from Japan.

edit: And what's a reasonable price to pay for a Saturn? I was pretty shocked to see they were going for ~$50 at Super Potato (which I understand is more expensive than other shops, but still!).

Teknoman

Is it just me, or on the Sega CD and Saturn, when playing using RGB, FMV games are grainier than they used to be? Or is it just I haven't played something like that in a long time, and now its just really evident?

Is there a good list of recommended Saturn imports out there? I'm in Tokyo for the next few months, and I'd like to buy a system with a few games. I *loved* the Saturn when it came out, and I've always wanted to check out what's available from Japan.

edit: And what's a reasonable price to pay for a Saturn? I was pretty shocked to see they were going for ~$50 at Super Potato (which I understand is more expensive than other shops, but still!).

Really most of the shoot em ups that aren't available here, and any English title title that's more than it should be yet doesn't have much in the way of text.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is it just me, or on the Sega CD and Saturn, when playing using RGB, FMV games are grainier than they used to be? Or is it just I haven't played something like that in a long time, and now its just really evident?

Video compression artifacts are just more apparent when using a clear RGB video signal. RGB will clean up graphics that the hardware generates itself, but it won't help pre-rendered video playback.

Theonik

Video compression artifacts are just more apparent when using a clear RGB video signal. RGB will clean up graphics that the hardware generates itself, but it won't help pre-rendered video playback.
RGB just helps transmit content as it is generated on the consoles output with a much lower amount of distortion and clarity, it doesn't improve the signal that is generated. Pre-rendered video has more visible blemishes with RGB because many of those blemishes were hidden behind the poor output of composite. However, clarity is much better and the effect RGB has on the signal doesn't change.

Although it should be noted that video at the time was often optimised with the assumption that it would be viewed with composite.

Teknoman

RGB just helps transmit content as it is generated on the consoles output with a much lower amount of distortion and clarity, it doesn't improve the signal that is generated. Pre-rendered video has more visible blemishes with RGB because many of those blemishes were hidden behind the poor output of composite. However, clarity is much better and the effect RGB has on the signal doesn't change.

Although it should be noted that video at the time was often optimised with the assumption that it would be viewed with composite.

Glad it wasn't just me being over analytical then. Well, I can still enjoy D regardless.

Teknoman

What are those games, though? :)

Dodonpachi
Metal Black
Salamander Deluxe Collection
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
Kingdom Grand Prix (its a shoot em up / Racer hybrid, so i'd check a video first)
Parodius Collection
Any Capcom fighting game
Cotton 2
Soukyugurentai
Saturn Bomberman
Hot Blooded Family
Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2
Outrun

That's about all I can think of atm.

If you can find HyperDuel or Blast Wind for super cheap...well you've got insane luck.

Speaking of, why is Radiant Silvergun still so expensive? Anything different in the Saturn version than the XBLA game?

Top Bottom