• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

MikeMyers

Mostly Capcom stuff; Alien vs. Predator, Jojo's, Street Fighter 3 New Generation, 2nd Impact, and 3rd Strike.

That rumored Raiden Fighters compilation would've been neat too. I loved Raiden Fighters Aces on my 360, but I would love it more on Saturn, lol.

You know I could have sworn I saw MvC1 Saturn announcement once.

Wonder how a Saturn SF3 would work. If I remember correctly even the Dreamcast version wasn't perfect.

I wanted Top Skater on the Saturn, and Lost World (arcade) and Star Wars Trilogy (arcade) on the Dreamcast.

I believe this was in development on Dreamcast and they ended up cancelling it :(

Mostly Capcom stuff; Alien vs. Predator, Jojo's, Street Fighter 3 New Generation, 2nd Impact, and 3rd Strike.

That rumored Raiden Fighters compilation would've been neat too. I loved Raiden Fighters Aces on my 360, but I would love it more on Saturn, lol.

And that was going to be on 32X and that too was cancelled.

I really, really hope that Capcom gets the rights to AVP again to release the arcade game on Xbox/PS. I know it will happen one day!

The Lost World on the other hand is probably lost forever :(

MikeMyers

I would have liked the actual Star Wars Arcade game ported instead, of what we got on the 32X. And Sonic Arcade of course.
Is the port on 32x any good?

Really though they shouldn't have even bothered with 32x and save those games for the Saturn launch.

I wanted Top Skater on the Saturn, and Lost World (arcade) and Star Wars Trilogy (arcade) on the Dreamcast.
I remember AM3 saying in a Sega Saturn Magazine UK interview that they didn't think Saturn could handle Lost World.

VF3 will always be the most fascinating. Model 1's Wing War might have been neat. Regarding Model 2, it kinda would have been neat to see Dynamite Deka 2 looking like the original Dynamite Deka. Maybe Pilot Kids and Zero Gunner could have made it over? They would probably be 30fps in that case, but how wild would it be to see 60fps adaptations? I'm picturing Zero Gunner with flat-texture stages and a tamer camera with sprite buildings or some shit, lol.

There's a lot of big non-Sega 2D stuff of course. Raizing's Battle Bakraid and Armed Police Batrider come to mind. I would love to have seen more of Cave's early games with great Saturn ports, too.
Now that Suzuki is back to making console games, maybe more information about Saturn VF3 will come out in interviews.

TeaJay

i just came back from my store and they had saturn 10 player bomber man.

I have a small apartment and a 20 inch PVM, but I can hook 3 regular controllers, 1 3D pad and one HSS-0136 arcade stick on my Bomberman multitap and boy, it sure is fun playing Saturn Bomberman on multiplayer (even if someone has to sit on the floor).

IrishNinja

Fucking 32x.

Still wanna try Kolibri though.

attachment.php

I have a small apartment and a 20 inch PVM, but I can hook 3 regular controllers, 1 3D pad and one HSS-0136 arcade stick on my Bomberman multitap and boy, it sure is fun playing Saturn Bomberman on multiplayer (even if someone has to sit on the floor).

i wish it wasn't 300 dollars

IrishNinja

jesus, that dude has so much saturn goodness *fans self*

As for the 32x, the only game I've really played it was Knuckles Chaotix, which I found kinda boring.

what kills me is the game looks & sounds fantastic to me, it just feels like a barren tech demo. one of the things im gonna try out is this hack that puts a bunch of enemies in it!

Kolibri is another bizarre one for me; i just fly around and turn it off when nothing happens. i know i gotta stick with it longer!

MikeMyers

Yeah the presentation was good but the game play felt unfinished. Like Star Wars Arcade might have been better if it just waited for Saturn. Well I guess you can say that about the 32x in general.

KC-Slater

The 32x as a whole.

Oh my, it's been a while.

I think the 32X could've been pretty cool, but they just brought the wrong kind of games to it. It shouldn't been CPS2 and Neo Geo ports, "2 1/2-D" scrollers, more super-scaler games. Stuff like 'Astal', instead of overly ambitious 3D games like 'Metal head'.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. I don't imagine those 2D games would've sold very well at the time. I remember everyone was already on the polygonal 3D hype-train. Commercially, I think it was destined to fail, but I still would've liked a decent library out of it, instead of the shit that we got.

last night I cracked open my SCART cable and wired my Saturn to my arcade cabinet.

Need to fiddle with the monitor a bit, but yeah.

I gutted a Genesis once and wired it for JAMMA. I couldn't get the 2nd controller to work properly though so I probably fucked up somewhere. Do you just have the SCART RGB-sync-stereo signals going to the appropriate JAMMA lines? What are you using for control?

Edit: I see that my last question has already been answered.

IrishNinja

I think the 32X could've been pretty cool, but they just brought the wrong kind of games to it. It shouldn't been CPS2 and Neo Geo ports, "2 1/2-D" scrollers, more super-scaler games. Stuff like 'Astal', instead of overly ambitious 3D games like 'Metal head'.

for sure - look at any noteworthy 32X games, they're pretty much the 2D ones

poor burning rangers
also i keep meaning to ask: your avatar is awesome, but why is little jogurt on the mic?

I mean 3D could have existed but they shouldn't have gone all in like they did. Imagine how great it would have been if more developers had taken advantage of a 2D and 3D architecture like the Saturn had.

I think it's from an art book. I like to think he's keeping all the other rejected force members entertained.

MikeMyers

Hindsight is 20/20 though. I don't imagine those 2D games would've sold very well at the time. I remember everyone was already on the polygonal 3D hype-train. Commercially, I think it was destined to fail, but I still would've liked a decent library out of it, instead of the shit that we got.

It could have had some classics if Sega didn't prematurely kill it, but I just think having 2 32-bit systems was a dumb move from the beginning.

It could have had some classics if Sega didn't prematurely kill it, but I just think having 2 32-bit systems was a dumb move from the beginning.

that's what killed my interest in the Saturn. i didn't know if sega would jump ship after buying it. i was saving up for sega cd, then 32x came out. then saturn. it confused me with my limited money at the time.

D.Lo

3D wasn't ready yet. The first 3D console should have been the Dreamcast.
Nah, plenty of killer 3D games on Saturn/PS1/N64. Especially N64 with Z-buferreing stabilising everything, I played Mario and Banjo yesterday and they were still an absolute joy.

On Saturn alone, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Resident Evil, Radiant Silvergun...

32X was definitely Sega's dumbest move, and that's saying a lot, this is Sega who released a new console every single year bar one for six years at one point (SG1000-Mega Drive 1983-1988).

koopas

that's what killed my interest in the Saturn. i didn't know if sega would jump ship after buying it. i was saving up for sega cd, then 32x came out. then saturn. it confused me with my limited money at the time.
I remember discovering

Sega CD + 32X + Nomad + Saturn

all in the span of a year and being overwhelmed. I realise they didn't come out that rapidly but still my thinking was very much to wait it out for the ULTRA 64 that was coming soon (or at least according to Killer Instinct at the arcade anyways).

Also raise your hand if you remember being disappointed that the Saturn cartridge slot didn't play Genesis games

I remember discovering

all in the span of a year and being overwhelmed. I realise they didn't come out that rapidly but still my thinking was very much to wait it out for the ULTRA 64 that was coming soon (or at least according to Killer Instinct at the arcade anyways).

Also raise your hand if you remember being disappointed that the Saturn cartridge slot didn't play Genesis games

I spent months trying to convince all my friends at school that they should get a Saturn because it could play new 3D games and Genesis games. It's too bad I was wrong. The Saturn was expensive enough as it was. I can't imagine how expensive putting a Genesis in there would have been.

god, yeah id not have gotten far without it!

Maybe it's that I haven't gotten that far yet but it seems MUCH easier to navigate than I remember.

I remember discovering

i was a nintendo faithful. and they got me confused too. i was waiting for SNES CD and then they skipped 32bit entirely. i went and grabbed an N64 christmas eve of the launch. my friend was huge Sega fan and got sega CD 32x and saturn and i laughed but Panzer Dragoon and Nights were awesome. i think he still has his stuff too. now i'm sitting here with envy of you Saturn owners =)

MikeMyers

Nah, plenty of killer 3D games on Saturn/PS1/N64. Especially N64 with Z-buferreing stabilising everything, I played Mario and Banjo yesterday and they were still an absolute joy.

On Saturn alone, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Resident Evil, Radiant Silvergun...

32X was definitely Sega's dumbest move, and that's saying a lot, this is Sega who released a new console every single year bar one for six years at one point (SG1000-Mega Drive 1983-1988).

Yeah I've seen it said a lot that 5th gen games were bad at 3D, but I've never had a problem with them. I think there's more 3D games I like on Saturn than on Dreamcast, honestly.

my friend was huge Sega fan and got sega CD 32x and saturn and i laughed but Panzer Dragoon and Nights were awesome. i think he still has his stuff too. now i'm sitting here with envy of you Saturn owners =)

Haha there were a lot of people like this. You are not alone.

I'm playing Shining the Holy Ark right now. I'm pretty sure the last time I played I didn't realize there's a map function.

Good lord!!! That would make this, easily a 70+ hour game without a map lol. On a side note. This game has some of the best shop/Tavern music ever created.

Easily add $75-$100 to that, already overpriced console for that feature. And yes! I was disappointed.

poor burning rangers
also i keep meaning to ask: your avatar is awesome, but why is little jogurt on the mic?

A couple more months in development would have done wonders for this game. Not worth the asking price, but still good for at least one play through.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I jumped from the Nes straight to a PC, and started heavily emulating Nes/Snes/Mega Drive during this gen. Eventually got a PS1 as well, but never fell in love with it as I was so used to PC-gaming and retro stuff. Just later did i realize what i lost out on with the Saturn, which I never actually experienced at the time.

Anyways, is Deep Fear playable in japanese?

Good lord!!! That would make this, easily a 70+ hour game without a map lol. On a side note. This game has some of the best shop/Tavern music ever created.

The last time I played I had to use youtube videos as guides to get through all of the dungeons.
A couple more months in development would have done wonders for this game. Not worth the asking price, but still good for at least one play through.

This song alone makes the game worth it.

I always lusted after Saturn in game magazines but with no real source of income at that age, never got one. My parents were practical and got me a PS1 cuz they saw the writing on the wall, and realistically the playstation was a better value.

Aside from store kiosks and a couple weekend console rentals at Blockbuster I eventually started playing Saturn games regularly in 2005 after finding one at a Goodwill for $10 it was a risk because it didn't come with a power or AV cables, but I got it anyway. Needless to say it worked fine once I got the proper hook-ups and the rest is history.

Top Bottom