• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

KC-Slater

I'm having difficulty running Elevator Action Returns on my RHEA. Specially, it hangs on the loading screen just before a level starts. Has anyone else encountered this? I've tried re-ripping the game multiple times, and it's not a problem with the disc (works on my stock Saturn just fine.)

Thoughts?

I'm having difficulty running Elevator Action Returns on my RHEA. Specially, it hangs on the loading screen just before a level starts. Has anyone else encountered this? I've tried re-ripping the game multiple times, and it's not a problem with the disc (works on my stock Saturn just fine.)

Thoughts?

Do you have any special configuration settings? Have you asked the GDEMU blog or sent him an email?

KC-Slater

Do you have any special configuration settings? Have you asked the GDEMU blog or sent him an email?

I haven't asked him (but the guy seems like kind of a dismissive dick, despite having a great product...)

I rip everything with the same settings: Scan gaps/Indexes, R-W (CD+G), PQ, RAW read all checked in DiscJuggler.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to inbox me if you'd prefer to take this offline. Thanks!

I haven't asked him (but the guy seems like kind of a dismissive dick, despite having a great product...)

Biggest problem with his suite right here.

I don't have EA:R so I can't help but, if you're ripping settings are consistent and you don't have anything weird in rhea.ini, I'd imagine that it's a bug in either the hardware or firmware. It would definitely be helpful for him to be aware of it.

that's a shame, the more i hear about RHEA the more i hope someone better comes along with a competitive product.

It's great if you're willing to set up an email alert and dedicate a few hours of your Saturday to catch the brief 5 minute window that he is willing to list it for sale.

that's a shame, the more i hear about RHEA the more i hope someone better comes along with a competitive product.

Prof Abrasive (The guy who cracked the Saturn DRM last year) started a patreon to get his version of the Saturn card reader out sooner. maybe if enough people back him, we'll get a good alternative. The SD reader that plugs into the mpeg slot.

Prof Abrasive (The guy who cracked the Saturn DRM last year) started a patreon to get his version of the Saturn card reader out sooner. maybe if enough people back him, we'll get a good alternative. The SD reader that plugs into the mpeg slot.

But what if I want to play Lunar or watch some Cantonese music videos?

TeaJay

I've been playing Magic knight Rayearth lately, and while it seems like a really fun game, the (english) dialogue and voice acting are absolutely horrendous. I don't usually mind but it's really, really awful.

I don't suppose I could get a translated game with japanese dialogue? Probably not, seeing as there's an english version available. Could always just burn myself the japanese version, but I wonder if I would be totally lost on where to actually go or what to do.

KC-Slater

It's great if you're willing to set up an email alert and dedicate a few hours of your Saturday to catch the brief 5 minute window that he is willing to list it for sale.

It's strange because you get the vibe from his whiny blog posts that assembling the devices to sell them is such a burden. You have an endless list of people wanting to purchase the device you exclusively sell -- explain to me why are you such a victim again?

I really like both the RHEA and the GDEMU as products, but the sole proprietor running this show seems like such a diva.

I've been playing Magic knight Rayearth lately, and while it seems like a really fun game, the (english) dialogue and voice acting are absolutely horrendous. I don't usually mind but it's really, really awful.

I don't suppose I could get a translated game with japanese dialogue? Probably not, seeing as there's an english version available. Could always just burn myself the japanese version, but I wonder if I would be totally lost on where to actually go or what to do.
It'd also run worse, because the western release improved performance in several areas.

TeaJay

I did find an UNDUB version with japanese audio and english screen text and it's much more enjoyable, but I will have to see if I run into performance issues.

IrishNinja

I did find an UNDUB version with japanese audio and english screen text and it's much more enjoyable, but I will have to see if I run into performance issues.

didn't even know this existed! i didn't mind the voices in MKR when i finally got around to it last year that much, mostly cause i contemporized it & god knows RPG/anime dub voices from that era were pretty often atrocious

Only console version that runs at 60fps I think.

That optional 60 fps mode uses some funky interpolation. The arcade original was 30fps.

Fun to mess with, but it's kinda jarring to me.

Either way, Outrun is a must-buy on Saturn. One of my favorite games. The JP version has some arrange songs too, done by Hiro himself.

That optional 60 fps mode uses some funky interpolation. The arcade original was 30fps.

Fun to mess with, but it's kinda jarring to me.

Considering I paid 45 for it, I'll have to put a lot of time in it to justify the purchase, so there will be messing around.

Not that it will be a hard thing to do...

gelf

3DS is the definitive home version for me because the 3D works so well with Outrun. Playing in 3D makes me slightly less shit at the game too.

I have the 3DS version, which I enjoy, but it seems with each passing year I find less enjoyment in playing on a portable system.

Bumping up to an XL helped me in this regard.

As I get older, I get more prone to eye strain and I already have an image convergence issue that is exacerbated by small text and images.

IrishNinja

Dont forget about power drift either.

hah! man i wish that game would plummet in price

Either way, Outrun is a must-buy on Saturn. One of my favorite games. The JP version has some arrange songs too, done by Hiro himself.

see i love my WD sega ages copy but i'd grab this & space harrier JP releases in a heart beat if i found em on the cheap

I have the 3DS version, which I enjoy, but it seems with each passing year I find less enjoyment in playing on a portable system.

yeah i had a lotta fun with it on the pooper but sometimes i really love playing these games on a proper set again, feeling like the arcade & all...i really should get a racing wheel for it one day

cj_iwakura

I think the dub itself is great, especially the villains. Just very... liberally translated.

Timu

I just beat X-men Children of the Atom...fuck that's a hard as hell fighting game, and the bosses are just brutal. Had to use Ice Man to beat them.

Timu

I just got X-Men vs Street Fighter...this is a great port and is considered to be the best home version of the game!

piggychan

This was so mindblowing to see when it originally came out.

It gets even more mindblowing having all the huge sprite characters onscreen and enabling the super speed mode!

Anyway really enjoying replaying Lunar 2 EB on the saturn again. I miss the style of these old skool graphics and Love the music there.
SS ver
760x11.gif
GZrk5J.gif

PSX ver
vgvMQ0.gif
xGx023.gif

Teknoman

Its that time again...bonus time. Already divided up savings and other stuff, and I usually use the spending section to drop on a big hit Saturn / PC engine game.

I would run with Battle Garegga, but thats getting a PS4 port at some point right? Of course that doesnt stop me from wanting Radiant Silvergun...hmm...

Galdelico

Collector's-GAF, I've got a question for you.

Anyone with a mint (or a brand new and opened up) copy of Legend of Oasis can confirm whether or not the manual came with the usual registration card attached to the back cover? Also, anything else included, other than the manual itself and the foam brick?

Thanks in advance guys. ^_-

NDPsycho

Anyone with a mint (or a brand new and opened up) copy of Legend of Oasis can confirm whether or not the manual came with the usual registration card attached to the back cover? Also, anything else included, other than the manual itself and the foam brick?

I bought mine new and there's no card attached to the back and nothing else in the case.

Then a wheel and memorization might help. I have the Saturn wheel (the guy I bought a Saturn from to replace my childhood one threw it in for free) but have never used it. I don't have Outrun on the Saturn but I have a few other racing games. I'll play around with it this weekend and update whether it makes things easier.

piggychan

I don't I've ever gotten them on my copy either. I compared it too the Guardian Heroes one.
DE57F56A-9712-4BD6-9CA1-8C807B8322AA.jpg

Top is GH bottom is LoO
73AD2733-D162-4E3B-9DDD-D7BF1E0F1944.jpg

Top Bottom