• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, I forgot to mention the translation. It's really pure Working Designs, haha. Which means it can be funny sometimes, but it often tries too hard with the self-awareness and pop culture jokes and it can get eye-rolling at times. I did chuckle a few times though, especially when they outright bashed Beyond the Beyond (so not classy but funny xD), and when they mocked the "save the princess" trope.

Shame that it lost all continuity with the Shining Force 2 universe. I did get that "Zhaion" was supposed to be Zeon, but it didn't even occur to me that Palacia was supposed to be Parmecia. Heh.

RobbieNick

Imported Waku Waku 7. That one's.......different. Love the crazy cast even though there's only seven fighters in arcade mode, it's still pretty fun and easy to pull off moves. the background's are HORRIBLE on the Saturn though. In one section, there are some animated cats that look like they were taken off an Atari 2600. It's a poor port which is too bad seeing as how the main fighters look great and are animated well.

smbu2000

Come to think of it, I wonder if they could wire up a custom Genesis Model 1 cable that gets the RGB from the back of the console, but has two separate wires for stereo audio? I kind of want to fetch the stereo from the stereo ports on either the Sega CD it's plugged into, or the stereo ports that were modded into the Genesis as part of the S-Video mod I've got on it.

I do see a SCART cable with separate RCA audio cables, but that seems to be on the output end and not the input end. The closest thing I see to what I do want is a cable that fetches RGB from the port in back and stereo audio from the headphone port, which is... probably acceptable, but not ideal.

(I'm not quite ready to jump to RGB, since nothing I have really supports it at this time, but thinking ahead...)
Do you mean something like this?

P1010887_a_zps33d3fa10.jpg

This is my Megadrive 1 RGB (JP21) cable. It has a 3.5mm cable to plug into the "stereo" headphone jack on the MD1. I bought this from a guy who makes his own RGB cables on Yahoo Auctions JP.
(and yes this should probably be in the MD/Genesis thread)

JLynn

Oh, yeah, that's the newest version of the Victor VCD card. It'll let you use photo CDs, too. As far as I know, Victor's cards were the go-to for VCD playback.

Thanks to you and RoryDropkick for the replies. I knew it could play VCDs as I played one. I look at it as a novelty; something nice to own as a Saturn collector but its limited purpose doesn't make it a must own like say a Japanese design controller. I also have a few more questions.

1: Is anybody familiar with the Australian designed Saturn controller? I see them every now and then on ebay and I wonder if they're a good alternative to the Japanese controller

pad-sega-aussie.jpg

2: Did the Action Replay 4M Plus ever came in black?

Is anybody familiar with the Australian designed Saturn controller? I see them every now and then on ebay and I wonder if they're a good alternative to the Japanese controller

pad-sega-aussie.jpg
AFAIK, that is the Japanese controller, just black. Same as the US Model 2 controller, really.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Thanks to you and RoryDropkick for the replies. I knew it could play VCDs as I played one. I look at it as a novelty; something nice to own as a Saturn collector but its limited purpose doesn't make it a must own like say a Japanese design controller. I also have a few more questions.

1: Is anybody familiar with the Australian designed Saturn controller? I see them every now and then on ebay and I wonder if they're a good alternative to the Japanese controller

pad-sega-aussie.jpg

2: Did the Action Replay 4M Plus ever came in black?

I'm not aware of the Action Replay coming in any color other than grey.

Imported Waku Waku 7. That one's.......different. Love the crazy cast even though there's only seven fighters in arcade mode, it's still pretty fun and easy to pull off moves. the background's are HORRIBLE on the Saturn though. In one section, there are some animated cats that look like they were taken off an Atari 2600. It's a poor port which is too bad seeing as how the main fighters look great and are animated well.

Really? I wonder why.. I guess the game needed the 4MB Ram expansion, a perfect arcade port should have been no problem on Saturn.

Absolutely gorgeous game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Really? I wonder why.. I guess the game needed the 4MB Ram expansion, a perfect arcade port should have been no problem on Saturn.

Some games just got inexplicably bad ports, even if the Saturn was capable of an arcade perfect port. Other examples would include Donpachi and Dodonpachi, which suffered primarily from graphical issues. Some Neo games I can understand being downgraded, given how much RAM the NG had to work with, but others are less forgivable.

Teknoman

I recently borrowed Shining Wisdom from my brother. I remember this game having had average reviews back in the day, and I can sorta see why. It plays and feels like a 16-bit game, not a 32-bit game*. And I don't just mean the graphics, though they are indeed fairly primitive, but as far as Zelda clones go I've seen much better. The sword has pitiful range, and the enemies respawn if you so much as move out of the screen for two inches, making combat a bit frustrating sometimes. Also it was frustrating to not be able to use the special boots at the same time as the sword (seriously, WTF). The Saturn had 6 buttons, there's really no excuse for that; even if it's adapted from a Genesis framework, the Genesis did have a 6-button controller!
I'm still early into the game and haven't yet found any orbs, so I'm hoping this will add some depth to the combat a bit.

Oh and the music is honestly pretty bad so far. The dungeons background music is a more repetitive ambient style that isn't too grating, but the world map, the main town and the castle have really bad music. Which is really surprising considering it's the same composer as Landstalker and Shining Force 1 and 2, which had pretty good music on a less powerful console too. Weird.

* According to Wikipedia, "Shining Wisdom was originally designed for the Mega Drive, and adapted for the Saturn at the last minute, presumably in order to bolster the new system's library of games.", which certainly explains a lot. Though honestly there are later Genesis games that look, sound and play better than Shining Wisdom, such as Beyond Oasis or Landstalker, hah.

I'll still give it a chance but overall it seems like an okay game at best, to play if you really need to scratch that Zelda itch. :)

Shining Wisdom's okay... Because it was translated by Working Designs, it loses a little bit of continuity.

Guess i'll be looking for Holy Ark instead.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Probably a good idea. Holy Ark is very different than Wisdom. Shining Wisdom is a Zelda clone, but Holy Ark is a traditional first-person jRPG with random turn-based battles, a true spiritual sequel to Shining in the Darkness, but thankfully with automatic in-game maps... no need to draw them by hand anymore, which is a good thing because these maps are huuuuuge. I remember really enjoying it. It's fairly challenging, but without getting grindy like those old 8-bit RPGs (in fact I don't recall ever needing to grind at all). And the music was pretty cool, by Motoi Sakuraba (Shining Force 3, Valkyrie Profile, Tales games, Star Ocean, etc. and Dark Souls too!).

Although to be fair to Shining Wisdom, I am still very, very early into the game, so take that mini-review for what it's worth.

kazuo

Do you mean something like this? This is my Megadrive 1 RGB (JP21) cable. It has a 3.5mm cable to plug into the "stereo" headphone jack on the MD1. I bought this from a guy who makes his own RGB cables on Yahoo Auctions JP.
(and yes this should probably be in the MD/Genesis thread)

I'll share this link just to be helpful, but additional discussion of this should probably migrate to the MD/Genesis thread so we don't derail this thread.

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...esis-1-stereo-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead.html

As others pointed out, the DIN jack on the back only outputs mono, you have to pull stereo audio from the headphone jack up front and re-integrate into the SCART connector to get stereo on your monitor/speakers.

We're still bagging on Working Designs translations? C'mon guys,it ain't the 90s. Do you really need the 100% true authentic JP story and characterization to...Shining Wisdom? :p

smbu2000

Sweet, just got this in the mail from retrogamingcables.

a Sony PVM (BNC) -> Scart cable. They even wired it up for JP21 connections for me and shipped it out to me here in Japan. Very nice service!

Did a quick test with my Mega Drive, watched the Lunar SSSC mpeg intro and played some Silhouette Mirage for awhile to test it out. Looks great on my 20" PVM!

I also won a lot of 15 Saturn games for about $23 shipped on Yahoo Auctions JP, should be getting here soon. Some of the games are so-so/I already own, but others are good. Includes Nights in the box with a white Analog Controller (my old one is black), Christmas Nights, Grandia Prelude demo disk(which I've wanted), and Burning Rangers (wanted this as well!).

I also won a lot of 15 Saturn games for about $23 shipped on Yahoo Auctions JP, should be getting here soon. Some of the games are so-so/I already own, but others are good. Includes Nights in the box with a white Analog Controller (my old one is black), Christmas Nights, Grandia Prelude demo disk(which I've wanted), and Burning Rangers (wanted this as well!).
Nice. I really want one of those, but I can't find them for a decent price.

Nice. I really want one of those, but I can't find them for a decent price.

The place to go is Yahoo Auctions Japan. I got mine (Nights pack) for like US$ 10 (+ international shipping) a year ago.

But probably you will need a deputy service since almost every seller do not ship outside Japan. This add a little more cost (but it will be like US$ 5 or 8). I usually use shoppingmalljapan for that).

The place to go is Yahoo Auctions Japan. I got mine (Nights pack) for like US$ 10 (+ international shipping) a year ago.

But probably you will need a deputy service since almost every seller do not ship outside Japan. This add a little more cost (but it will be like US$ 5 or 8). I usually use shoppingmalljapan for that).

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that!

Sweet, just got this in the mail from retrogamingcables.

a Sony PVM (BNC) -> Scart cable. They even wired it up for JP21 connections for me and shipped it out to me here in Japan. Very nice service!

Looks better made then the one I got from them like a month ago.

Wish I had the more solid look of yours since the black parts on mine are starting to get bent, what with the separation between where the inputs are in my PVM.

Somewhat off topic, but how would I go about getting something from Yahoo Auctions JP using a deputy service? There's a JP Game Boy game I see for sale that I'd like to get, but I don't have any clue on how to proceed.

Like I said, I use shoppingmalljapan which is pretty good since I am not in US. I am sure that are other (and maybe better) options available to US residents, but I never had a single problem with them.

Keep in mind that there will be fees, like:
- shipping internally in Japan (expressed in the auction itself, around US$ 5)
- wire-transfer fee (to pay the seller, almost no one accepts credit cards): US$ 3
- deputy service fee (starting at US$ 6), go here for all prices: http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com/servicefees.html
- shipping to you. Costs varies based on service you choose (SAL, EMS) and the size of the itens. There are some restrictions explained in their website.

Been playing my Saturn again, but my tv does not have an S-video out (most modern tv's dont) so I am using an RF unit and it looks horrendous. Are there any receivers out there that are affordable and can do a reasonable upscale?

yes, your best picture option would be a Saturn Scart Cable (US$ 17) plus a SCART RGB to Component Converter (US$ 50) plust a SCART audio extractor (US$ 13).

Kind of pricely, but worth (actually it will cost more than the console itself, but it is the best image you can get from the machine, much better than S-video).

* According to Wikipedia, "Shining Wisdom was originally designed for the Mega Drive, and adapted for the Saturn at the last minute, presumably in order to bolster the new system's library of games.", which certainly explains a lot. Though honestly there are later Genesis games that look, sound and play better than Shining Wisdom, such as Beyond Oasis or Landstalker, hah.
That explains why the music's all synth-based: Takenouchi wouldn't have had enough time to rearrange the music he'd composed for the Mega Drive's chip. Still, I think the soundtrack's a helluva lot better than you say it is, at least in terms of composition. It's always sounded weird because synth-rock doesn't fit the game's context well at all.

Like I said, I use shoppingmalljapan which is pretty good since I am not in US. I am sure that are other (and maybe better) options available to US residents, but I never had a single problem with them.

Keep in mind that there will be fees, like:
- shipping internally in Japan (expressed in the auction itself, around US$ 5)
- wire-transfer fee (to pay the seller, almost no one accepts credit cards): US$ 3
- deputy service fee (starting at US$ 6), go here for all prices: http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com/servicefees.html
- shipping to you. Costs varies based on service you choose (SAL, EMS) and the size of the itens. There are some restrictions explained in their website.

Thanks for the info!

TriAceJP

Any advice on how to speed up SSF when it 'reads the disc'? Playing Albert Odyssey, and every battle has quite the load time.

smbu2000

I got my package in the mail! The controller is in excellent condition.

The games/stuff that I wanted:

Extra stuff (or stuff I already had):

It also included a Virtual On strategy guide as well. Not bad for the ~$24 that I paid for the whole lot (including shipping.)

It also included a Virtual On strategy guide as well. Not bad for the ~$24 that I paid for the whole lot (including shipping.)

I jelly. I think learning Japanese just so I can pay less on video games is a bad idea though. Still, gonna end up paying like $150 for just Burning Rangers along someday soon.

Any Gaffers played Keios flying Squadron 2?

remember playing the demo and loved it but looking at the price of copies in the UK... Ridiculous!
anyone know of cheap places online that may sell it?

Yay, my gamble paid off. Blast Wind CIB with spine + reg. Now to see if I like this game better than last time.

25xnYkul.jpg
So, what's the verdict? If you want to get rid of it again, I'm your man! ;)

Also, I'm dropping by to announce that I am a new member of the Hyper Duel Club: got the game for $215, including the obi and registration card. :)

Ms. Tea

The game was absolutely full of animation, so I'm not surprised it couldn't fit in the 1MB RAM cart. I really wish they hadn't slashed the background to ribbons, but I guess the alternative (with the 1MB cart) would have been to cut character animation like Groove on Fight did.

Waku Waku 7 came out on Saturn five months before the 4MB RAM cart came out (November 27, 1997, alongside X-Men vs Street Fighter), which I guess explains why it uses the 1MB cart. I wish they'd waited, but I guess waiting an extra half a year and launching against a much higher-profile game wouldn't have been terribly viable for them.

So, what's the verdict? If you want to get rid of it again, I'm your man! ;)

Also, I'm dropping by to announce that I am a new member of the Hyper Duel Club: got the game for $215, including the obi and registration card. :)

Ooh, Hyper Duel. Outta sight!

As for Blast Wind, I actually kind of like it this time around. I'm playing it for score right now with a few doods at Racketboy, and it's pretty fun trying to go for a no-death 1cc to maximize your scoreline. Still hella short, though, but it's as difficult as you want to make it between the normal settings and the gimped 2P ship.

Music is sweet, when you can hear it.

dave_d

Quick question, do any of the Saturn to usb adapters actually support the 3d pad? Come to think of it does SSF even support proportional controls?

Ms. Tea

This USB adaptor works perfectly with the 3D controller, and SSF is able to support it no problem. I've played plenty of Nights both in SSF and on the PC version, and it controls perfectly.

Slermy

I picked up Advanced V.G. on the cheap and tried it out over the weekend. It's clearly a Street Fighter / King of Fighters clone (most of the moves are ripped straight from them), but I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. The cutscenes in the story mode are pretty well done, though I feel like different artists worked on the characters and the style will change randomly mid-scene.

Sure did. Dropping truth bombs up in here:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/saturn/saturnhard.htm

Wow, you learn something new every day.

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to buy another just so it's black? I currently have a US saturn, and it'd look much better with one of those in it instead of the common grey one.

This doesn't ship outside of the UK does it?

Sure does. Rob is a stand-up guy, too.

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to buy another just so it's black? I currently have a US saturn, and it'd look much better with one of those in it instead of the common grey one.

Nah, it's not wrong. But you should buy a soldering iron and a Region-free BIOS chip, instead. :p

Yeah, that's what the Game Sack guys were saying, that's a shame though.

This is my main issue with Gate/Lords/Wind of Thunder.

Top Bottom