• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

There is also a FMV Street Fighter game...

oh man, i just picked up Street Fighter: the movie for like 10 bucks, and what a game, baby! SF with MK graphics, and story mode even starts you as van damne getting his ass beat by raul julia. what more could you ask for in a fighting game?!

Wereroku

Honestly I thought the game was extremely lacking. The music was terrible and the whole momentum thing, where you run by constantly pounding the Y button, was really strange (and if you don't do this you run at a snail's pace). Hit detection also seemed extremely off. Probably one of the worst Zelda clones I've ever played.

I went to a flea market last night and there were 2 Saturns for sale... a couple Saturn games but nothing really that interesting. Bought a Saturn for my friend for his upcoming birthday, since he LOVES fighting games and doesn't have one for whatever reason.

I admit I am looking through rose glasses with it since I played it new but I find the controls pretty easy but yeah they are a little clunky.

IrishNinja

It's an average rpg with dull combat and a boring story stuffed full of rubber chickens. It was never really worth playing.

damn, ya'll are harsh...time i spent with it seemed interesting. anyone that wants to part with this stinker, let me know!

also, was about to ask in the SHMUP thread: got a guy offering me DoDonPachi + Akumajo Draclua X for $100 shipped, thinking of jumping on that one. thoughts?

damn, ya'll are harsh...time i spent with it seemed interesting. anyone that wants to part with this stinker, let me know!

also, was about to ask in the SHMUP thread: got a guy offering me DoDonPachi + Akumajo Draclua X for $100 shipped, thinking of jumping on that one. thoughts?

By Drac X do you mean Chi no Rondo or SotN? Since you're in the Saturn thread I'm assuming it's Saturn SotN. If so, avoid. It runs terribly and looks ugly as fuck thanks to some nearest neighbor scaling.

If you want to play as Maria get Dracula X Chronicles on PSP and download a save file with SotN unlocked. I think she's in the version too.

If you want to play as Maria get Dracula X Chronicles on PSP and download a save file with SotN unlocked. I think she's in the version too.

That's inferior Maria. Saturn Maria is the best version! (Seriously, she was downgraded a bit in the PSP version. She's still great, but not quite as great as she is on Saturn.)

Wereroku

Yeah they took away most of her moves and made her a much weaker character. As far as I have read SOTN saturn is completely unique in some ways that have not been ported anywhere else.

It IS a rough port, but after the initial shock wears off, it's a pretty unique experience*. Granted I am a major CV fan, but I prefer this version to the one I purchased a PS1 for back in 1998, if only because of the odd new (if limited) areas. (I have also become a Saturn nut in the past year or so - thanks in no small part to this thread -, so I am definitely biased.)

* I have only completed the first castle though (wish I had received the quick boots earlier!).

IrishNinja

yeah, i really do wanna see those other areas, and take any chance i get to replay SOTN every few years anyway...im just thinking it might be tricky to catch at that price. what does it usually fetch?

Paid about $100 for it, but I'm OCD therefore I needed the spine + registration card. Whole thing is mint though, so I didn't really mind paying a premium.

Still, I believe you can catch it for $60-$75 if you're patient.

It IS a rough port, but after the initial shock wears off, it's a pretty unique experience*. Granted I am a major CV fan, but I prefer this version to the one I purchased a PS1 for back in 1998, if only because of the odd new (if limited) areas. (I have also become a Saturn nut in the past year or so - thanks in no small part to this thread -, so I am definitely biased.)

* I have only completed the first castle though (wish I had received the quick boots earlier!).
I second this.

Don't get me wrong. The slowdown is bad and the screen door transparencies are a huge disappointment.

...but the Saturn version is still very playable and the shortcomings are easily overshadowed by the unique content. The PS original is a beautiful game, visually and gameplay wise, but I actually prefer the Saturn version.

Ramune

Pretty sure the Mega Man comic by Archie was doing a Super Adventure Rockman adaptation of some sort. This is the game with Ra Moon, right? The comic's take on the storyline is pretty damn dark...

Yeah, they just finished the Ra Moon arc. I'm liking how dark they made it personally. Much better than the original's games story by far! Still as a Mega Man fan, I enjoyed watching SAR, but not sure if I'd enjoy playing it. ;)

Paid about $100 for it, but I'm OCD therefore I needed the spine + registration card. Whole thing is mint though, so I didn't really mind paying a premium.

Still, I believe you can catch it for $60-$75 if you're patient.

Saturn SotN was one of those rare few games I really lucked out on. A long time friend of mine gave me the game as a souvenir from his brief trip to Japan back when I was in High School around 98-99. Complete with spine card, although the case had sticker residue. Probably Goo Gone that stuff now that I think about it....

Celine

Daytona USA CE finally clicked with me.
So fun and challenging.

oh man, i just picked up Street Fighter: the movie for like 10 bucks, and what a game, baby! SF with MK graphics, and story mode even starts you as van damne getting his ass beat by raul julia. what more could you ask for in a fighting game?!
No no, I really meant a FMV game based on SF2 and released only in Japan for Saturn and PS1 to not be confused with the shitty digitalized fighting game starring Van Damme.

Behold Street Fighter II Movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9bRzoMeKXs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyio_8_eEGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7LTxDSLOo

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Oh, and FWIW, the Saturn port of Dodonpachi isn't great. In fact, it's worse than the PS1 port, which still isn't arcade perfect.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Daytona USA CE finally clicked with me.
So fun and challenging.
Man, sometimes I think of the money and time I spent in my youth looking for a console port of Daytona that did the game justice. That game was an obsession to me. It was the entire reason I bought a Saturn as soon as I could.

We finally got the HD version to do it justice, but then I couldn't find anyone online capable of keeping up with me and lost interest. It's lonely at the top.

Celine

Yay, got first at Dinosaur Canyon track.

VFRh0A6.jpg

IrishNinja

Oh, and FWIW, the Saturn port of Dodonpachi isn't great. In fact, it's worse than the PS1 port, which still isn't arcade perfect.

really? i played it a bit & dug it, was just reading that SHMUPs post about it and it sounds like...slowdown here & there, anything else specific though?

really? i played it a bit & dug it, was just reading that SHMUPs post about it and it sounds like...slowdown here & there, anything else specific though?
The biggest problem is that the game looks really nasty in YOKO. Very pixelated.

In TATE it looks pretty close to the arcade original. Some of the explosions are pixelated and some sound effects are missing, but it's still very playable and closer to the arcade experience than the PS1 port.

Supposedly chaining is messed up in the PS1 version, making scoring completely diffent than the arcade and Saturn versions. The PS1 version also limits both players to using the same ship in 2 player mode.

Both versions run too fast, however. I believe DDP arcade runs at 57 Hz. The Saturn and PS1 ports run at 60Hz.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The biggest problem is that the game looks really nasty in YOKO. Very pixelated.

In TATE it looks pretty close to the arcade original. Some of the explosions are pixelated and some sound effects are missing, but it's still very playable and closer to the arcade experience than the PS1 port.

Supposedly chaining is messed up in the PS1 version, making scoring completely diffent than the arcade and Saturn versions. The PS1 version also limits both players to using the same ship in 2 player mode.

Both versions run too fast, however. I believe DDP arcade runs at 57 Hz. The Saturn and PS1 ports run at 60Hz.

Yep.

Donpachi fared better on both systems. The Saturn version was good, but had similar issues to Dodonpachi on the Saturn in terms of being kinda pixelated. The PS1 version lost all of the slowdown that was in the arcade version (which honestly wasn't too necessary considering it's not really even a bullet hell shooter) and has better sound quality than the arcade original.

IrishNinja

hmm...never played DonPachi, just DoDon. also got another offer for Soukyugurentai + Fighting Vipers for $55, which isn't bad...only, US version of Vipers means no Pepsiman, haha.

Teknoman

You don't need the damn Pepsiman, you need bloody Souky. Like, yesterday. Jump on that shit!

Isnt it safer to get Soukyugurentai Otokuyo, or at least I remember reading that earlier? Some glitch or something?

At any rate...its so tempting to spend stuff like rewards points to get cheap stuff that was on your list...but i'm going to stay strong (maybe). At least want to save enough to take a good chunk off Hyper Duel, Blast Wind, Burning Rangers, or PDS.

But then there is the PC engine side with Cotton staring me in the face.

IrishNinja

also, can Deep Fear be played in japanese? im guessing that's one of the ones we would've got if Saturn lived longer...

You don't need the damn Pepsiman, you need bloody Souky. Like, yesterday. Jump on that shit!

ah, he seems to only wanna sell them as a pair...lemme see what i can do!

Isnt it safer to get Soukyugurentai Otokuyo, or at least I remember reading that earlier? Some glitch or something?

Yeah the OG Soukyu has graphical glitches when played on American systems. Not an issue if you have a Japanese console or region switch though. The Otokuyo version doesn't have any of these issues on an American system.

Teknoman

also, can Deep Fear be played in japanese? im guessing that's one of the ones we would've got if Saturn lived longer...

ah, he seems to only wanna sell them as a pair...lemme see what i can do!

I wanna say it can (only because I bought it for cheap long ago). I'm still iffy about switching discs with Action Replay. Some say it does an auto save at disc switch, so you can just reset the system at the time, and pop in disc 2. Others claim it doesnt.

Of course I still need some item translations. You can sorta figure out things if you've played any classic survival horror, and the voices are in english...but some items you'd need help.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm looking to get some of the Marvel fighting games on the Saturn, but I noticed there's actually a lot of them. Are any of these stinkers or at least not as good as the others? Which ones do you guys think are the best?

X-Men Children of the Atom
Marvel Super Heroes
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter

IrishNinja

^i'll tell you this: they're all quality by me, but the Vs ones are imports and i think both need the RAM cart, which you should own as part of an Action Replay anyway! also, consider importing the lot of them, cause i just caught Marvel Superheroes for $20 and its way more than that domestic.

ZealousD

^i'll tell you this: they're all quality by me, but the Vs ones are imports and i think both need the RAM cart, which you should own as part of an Action Replay anyway! also, consider importing the lot of them, cause i just caught Marvel Superheroes for $20 and its way more than that domestic.

Yeah, no region or ram cart barrier here. I've got an Action Replay Plus and I own Vampire Savior, so I know it works.

I'm looking to get some of the Marvel fighting games on the Saturn, but I noticed there's actually a lot of them. Are any of these stinkers or at least not as good as the others? Which ones do you guys think are the best?

X-Men Children of the Atom
Marvel Super Heroes
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter

They're all great games and are worth owning, but the first two aren't arcade-perfect ports, as they have some slowdown and, I think, some missing frames...unless you have a RAM cart and turn it on in the options menu. I don't know if X-Men: Children of the Atom has that feature, but Marvel Super Heroes does. I think slowdown exists either way, though...but I don't think it's too bad.

The latter two are arcade-perfect, as far as I know, but are only available in Japan, and require 4MB RAM carts. If you have an Action Replay cartridge (which I now see you do), you should be fine.

IrishNinja

*high five* i just picked up Vampire Savior too! for four dollars!! this import scene is awesome, reminds me of PCE - i'm buying crap i don't even understand! Lunar SSS for $3? sure/ Policenauts LE for < $20? why not! fuck i just won Soul Hackers for a penny. a penny!

ZealousD

*high five* i just picked up Vampire Savior too! for four dollars!! this import scene is awesome, reminds me of PCE - i'm buying crap i don't even understand! Lunar SSS for $3? sure/ Policenauts LE for < $20? why not! fuck i just won Soul Hackers for a penny. a penny!

Yeah, I definitely buy me some Saturn/PCE imports, but I don't think I'd ever import something that wasn't import friendly, lol.

I did buy Space Invaders the other day though. Definitely nice to get a version that's arcade perfect.

Mercutio

SOTN on Saturn (Dracula X) is disappointing in nearly every way. The new areas are horribly boring, contain nearly nothing, and the new enemies don't even look like they fit graphically with the rest of the game. Also, why on EARTH do I have to bring up the map from the menu screen? And why does it take so long to load? Collector's novelty, that's the only reason to own the Saturn version. It is inferior.

Khaz

Anyone in here own the official wireless Saturn controllers? Was wondering how reliable they are and if they're worth splurging on..

It's IR technology. So if you don't point it in the right direction or someone walks between you and the receiver, the signal is lost. It's the same inconvenience as the Wii when using the pointer: if you have one, you'll run into the same problems.

I have a pair of IR controllers with a receiver that I want to mod into bluetooth controllers, someday.

You guys were right with regards to Mega Man 8... the prices have skyrocketed. On eBay, you can't find one under $125 and I feel this is the lowest it's going to be for at least a while - game seems scarce as hell. The (domestic) Saturn collecting scene is getting crazier every year!

IrishNinja

What on your wishlist is going to break your bank?

for saturn? the usual white whales:

Panzer Saga
Burning Rangers
Shining Force III
Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
Shining Wisdom
Saturn Bomberman

i think that's it, the rest of the SHMUPs & stuff like Elevator Action Returns are more in the $50 bracket i think, actually Wisdom's about there somedays too. the rest of that lot, not so much - i'm holding outside hope that i hear back from 2 gaffers who seemed interested in deals on some of em but nothin' yet...and ebay is ravenous! i don't really know where else to look, amazon's even worse.

IrishNinja

yeah, i played a copy i have of it and got to the 2nd level, i can see where it's not for everyone (isometric, but then so is Dark Savior, Sonic 3D Blast & other stuff) plus some platforming...but it's my man Naka so i gotta see it through. I still don't know how 2 copies went for like $20 last month, must've been a 1 or 2 day auction, but that's what i get for slippin'.

PDS will break anyones bank.

i know it's supposed to be brilliant, but i'm trying to stay under $250. fuck these markups, they're just as bad as the earthbound ones from before the digital re-release.

...Burning Rangers isn't isometric, it's full 3D. On a console that can't handle 3D too well, so it's not much of a looker, but it's still technically impressive.

I really think it's a game that needs the HD treatment more than most. It's a good game, but it's being held back by the hardware it's on; the framerate is utterly atrocious. Could probably also do with separating the "dodge" button from the "large jump" button, since I tend to do the former when I'm trying to do the latter. (Also, I keep forgetting the game has Zelda-style jumping from platform edges, but eh, that's on me.)

I'm not sure what Saturn holy grails I have left to get, really. Shining Force III and Wisdom, I suppose. Radiant Silvergun, likely, since it's one of the few shmups I genuinely enjoy playing. Maybe Saturn Bomberman, but I live alone so it wouldn't get much use.

Beyond that, there's Duke Nukem 3D to round out the Lobotomy FPS trilogy, and Willy Wombat because it's dirt-cheap and looks kinda fun.

IrishNinja

Good picks - i think i had a Silvergun offer for $100, might regret not jumping on that one.

hey, would Panzer Saga PAL version play the same speed/etc?

Top Bottom