• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Dave Long

Banned
This is why the internet sucks, every two-bit shop owner at the flea market just looks up prices online :|
This is mostly true, but it really does depend on the owner. This place I found locally was actually either in line with eBay minus shipping or lower... sometimes a lot lower. So that was nice. I picked up Silpheed SEGA CD ($6 complete near mint WITH foamy thingy) as well as Flashback ($4 complete near mint) and Mega Turrican ($15 complete near mint) for SEGA Genesis.

This is likely the exception and not the rule, but it's always worth looking around locally for dealers or stores, even within a <50 mile radius or so. One drive might be worth it for some really nice deals. Pair it up with some other shopping or a dinner out or something like that and it's a bigger win. I ended up getting a $5 haircut at a new Great Clips that opened in a center nearby. lol! :)

I just look for mom n' pop retro shops that have shit loads of NES and SNES related stuff on display. These guys usually price Nintendo related merchandise ridiculously high while the Sega rarities slip through the cracks, receiving one-size-fits-all pricing. They may notice Radiant Silvergun or Panzer Dragoon Saga, but they aren't going to pay much attention to anything else.

I picked up a mint CIB US Gunbird 2 from a local shop recently for $22. That's about what it's going for on eBay without paying shipping. Not too bad. I also nabbed a PS1 Namco Stick in good condition from the same place for $20 awhile ago. $20! Meanwhile, they are selling roughed up NES Contra carts that look like someone pissed on them for $29, locked away in a glass case. If it ain't Nintendo, they don't seem to care.

The Saturn sold far less than the Genesis or any of the Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo consoles (Virtual Boy excepted), so you shouldn't expect to see as much Saturn stuff as you do games for those other systems. There aren't as many of them out there -- remember that it only sold a few million systems in the US! Around here, like in most places, yeah, Saturn stuff's not too common. There are a couple of places around here with small Saturn collections, but they rarely get new titles, it's mostly the same stuff that isn't selling. At those places or elsewhere, new Saturn games only show up occasionally. When I do see one I often get it, but I probably have as many or more Saturn games from EBay than I do from stores, something not true about any other consoles I have except for the Turbografx, which has that same problem but worse. Apart from the system itself, which I did get locally, everything else I have for the TG16 is from ebay...

In The Hunt has a lot of slowdown in general. My North American copy of the game won't even boot past the publisher logos with my PAR card inserted though.
In the Hunt is a game to buy for Playstation and not bother with on Saturn. Oh, sure, the Saturn version is a good port of the arcade game, bad slowdown and all, but the Playstation version (which also has a US release) is improved all around. It's got greatly reduced slowdown, backup save for options menu selections and your high scores (the Saturn version does not save anything, stupidly), and a second, CD audio soundtrack option, instead of just the original arcade PCM music like the Saturn has (ie, the PSX has both, the Saturn PCM only.). There are no advantages to the Saturn version. It's too bad that it's one of the three US-released Saturn shmups, because it's one of the least worth having versus the Playstation...

I should note that these two versions have very different Marias playable. If I recall correctly, the PSP Maria is based a lot more on her Rondo of Blood incarnation, while Saturn Maria instead has some kind of chargable ranged attack. It's been a while since I played either, so I don't really remember specifics...

Good point, the Saturn version does indeed have a unique, and better, version of playable Maria.

On the other hand though, I entirely agree that the load time waiting for the map screen in Saturn SotN is a real pain. You get used to it, kind of, but it's annoying for sure. But still, better Maria.

Yeah, the Saturn Maria uses a variety of spells and martial arts attacks. I have heard that she is incredibly broken and the game is a cakewalk with her.

Yeah, PSP SotN Maria ditches the punches, kicks, and magic in favor of stuff more reminiscent of RoB Maria's attacks. I prefer the Saturn style, myself. And yes, I think she was nerfed a bit of PSP as well.

Credo

I wish I lived in some place where gaming and technology is more of a "thing." Other than that chain of retro game stores, there's not a single other retro game store that I know about around here. The last Mom 'n Pop place I visited shut down over 5 years ago, and all I was able to get out of their clearance was Dragon Warrior 7 and Silent Hill for $10 each. They didn't have Saturn games there either.

I could probably get a few good things from that retro chain if I weren't so picky about quality. About 75% of the NES, SNES, and Genesis games they sell have badly worn labels or weird gummy residue on the cartridge, and the PS1-era cases and books look mangled or really discolored. I guess I'd do better if I just accepted anything.

I just look for mom n' pop retro shops that have shit loads of NES and SNES related stuff on display. These guys usually price Nintendo related merchandise ridiculously high while the Sega rarities slip through the cracks, receiving one-size-fits-all pricing. They may notice Radiant Silvergun or Panzer Dragoon Saga, but they aren't going to pay much attention to anything else.

I picked up a mint CIB US Gunbird 2 from a local shop recently for $22. That's about what it's going for on eBay without paying shipping. Not too bad. I also nabbed a PS1 Namco Stick in good condition from the same place for $20 awhile ago. $20! Meanwhile, they are selling roughed up NES Contra carts that look like someone pissed on them for $29, locked away in a glass case. If it ain't Nintendo, they don't seem to care.
Haha, I just clicked you profile and now recognize you from your youtube page.

Seik

Banned
Bumbity bump!

With all this hype aroung EVO and fighting games I decided to test a couple of those with SSF. Shit looks good, really fun to play fullscreen on an HDTV.

One thing that is really fun and that I'd like to propose to any fighting game enthusiasts is to play these games on SSF with their fightsticks, for those who don't know: The sticks on PS360 works perfectly on your PC with SSF, and god its good.

Here's Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers Revenge), the game works perfectly and is a blast to play, though I really should get Vampire Savior on Ebay soon.

mKEha.png
J9DJf.png

The best Street Fighter for me: Street Fighter Zero 3, man there should still be tournaments with this one, its just that good. The Saturn version is pretty damn perfect. The World Tour concept was so good, I don't understand why they didn't try to keep it for future games. This shit was and still is so addicting.

hn86n.png
39ZKS.png

MriVN.png
pkUOR.png

Hype!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im still kicking myself in the ass for not having picked up a used saturn over here in Japan when there were a lot of nicer choice ones for sale at Hot Potato.

After the announcement of the repair service stopping oh man did the stock vanish FAST.

By far the SEGA Saturn was one of the ultimate gaming machines for people who love video games.

Yay, this thread again! Yeah, the Saturn version of Zero 3 is far superior to any other version I've played. I'm amused that it's been going up in price only fairly recently. It could be found on eBay of all places for around $20 for several years.

Speaking of Saturn, some locals here in Austin are getting together for a shmup/run n' gun themed meet up at the Game Over on Lamar & 183 today. We will run from 1pm to 6pm and should have a few Saturn rarities to try out along with everything else. Drop by if you're in the area.

Seik

Banned
Well I got my copy of SFZ3 on a site similar to GAF, but for collectors in Quebec. Its mint and I got it out for 60$shipped. Which sounds like a fair price especially after I took a look at these prices on Ebay. Though its really worth it, like I said, this version is just perfect.

The dreamcast version is great too, but I prefer the Saturn controller from far! The game is easier to rip too because its not a GD-ROM, which are a clusterfuck to rip.:p

Ramune

Well I got my copy of SFZ3 on a site similar to GAF, but for collectors in Quebec. Its mint and I got it out for 60$shipped. Which sounds like a fair price especially after I took a look at these prices on Ebay. Though its really worth it, like I said, this version is just perfect.

The dreamcast version is great too, but I prefer the Saturn controller from far! The game is easier to rip too because its not a GD-ROM, which are a clusterfuck to rip.:p

Nice find! eBay can be a considered a last resort for these types of things. ^_^;

I have a question about the emulator if someone can help. I can't get it to load the game. I tried the disk after opening the program and before and nothing happens, it just says disk tray open at the bottom. Is there something I'm missing that I have to do? Also, what's a good program for ripping saturn isos? I was trying imgburn that I use for my ps1 and ps2 disks and works fine but when I try with saturn it just hangs like 10 secs in at "splitting audio tracks" or something along those lines and never actually progresses. Do I need a different program? Thanks.

arit

I have a question about the emulator if someone can help. I can't get it to load the game. I tried the disk after opening the program and before and nothing happens, it just says disk tray open at the bottom. Is there something I'm missing that I have to do? Also, what's a good program for ripping saturn isos? I was trying imgburn that I use for my ps1 and ps2 disks and works fine but when I try with saturn it just hangs like 10 secs in at "splitting audio tracks" or something along those lines and never actually progresses. Do I need a different program? Thanks.

Is "Option -> Peripheral -> CD Drive" set to your physical drive?

rjc571

Banned
How is it my P4 2.5Ghz can run Dreamcast emu 80-100%% but Saturn 0%???

Because SSF uses LLE while NullDC uses HLE. Basically SSF is using brute force to emulate the Saturn as accurately as possible, while NullDC employs a bunch of tricks and shortcuts to do what the game is telling the hardware to do as efficiently as possible.

In my case, I use DeamonTools.

I mount my ripped ISO in the virtual drive.
(Make sure your CD plugin is set to this drive).

Shouldn't be much more than this.

What program did you use to rip the isos? And now I keep getting C++ runtime errors and it makes the program crash. :/ I wonder what the hell is going on with it.

The Saturn still remains the only console with respectable ports of both Marvel Superheroes vs Streetfighter (with Norimaro?) and X-men vs Streetfighter.

Seik

Banned
EDIT: OP updated, added some extra infos and a direct link to get the most recent version of SSF available.

What program did you use to rip the isos? And now I keep getting C++ runtime errors and it makes the program crash. :/ I wonder what the hell is going on with it.

Make sure to update your DirectX.

I use Imgburn to rip my discs. :)

The Saturn still remains the only console with respectable ports of both Marvel Superheroes vs Streetfighter (with Norimaro?) and X-men vs Streetfighter.

Yep, he's in there. :p Both ports are almost arcade perfect.

Because SSF uses LLE while NullDC uses HLE. Basically SSF is using brute force to emulate the Saturn as accurately as possible, while NullDC employs a bunch of tricks and shortcuts to do what the game is telling the hardware to do as efficiently as possible.

Yeah, this. Saturn emulators are almost entirely dependent on the CPU due to the complexity of the original Saturn hardware. Two main processors, two video chips, two sound chips and a couple other support processors all need to be emulated. Also, the Saturn renders 3D games in quads and not traditional triangle based polygons like the PS1, Dreamcast or N64. This makes HLE through GPU's a very tricky process. Though from what I understand, some Saturn emulator developers are trying to add hardware acceleration through the CUDA cores on Nvidia based cards and such.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

most people are fine using imgburn, but once in a while i encounter a saturn disc that just refuses to read in most software, like sega ages afterburner. cdrwin has worked perfectly for me in those cases.

snkryo

I love the time I spent playing my Sega Saturn. It was the last time I dedicated myself playing a systems library, before work and dating was part of life. It was also the first time I imported games for the system. The games I imported were Radiant Silvergun, Fire pro wrestling and Metsl slug....yep great first batch of games I ordered.

tearsofash

Bought a Saturn a month or so go and was hoping someone would bump this.

I plan on buying Waku Waku 7 and Super Tempo (someday) but I hear WW7 is a pretty bad port?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Bought a Saturn a month or so go and was hoping someone would bump this.

I plan on buying Waku Waku 7 and Super Tempo (someday) but I hear WW7 is a pretty bad port?

pretty much. you'd be better off getting the sunsoft collection on ps2.

EDIT: OP updated, added some extra infos and a direct link to get the most recent version of SSF available.

Make sure to update your DirectX.

I use Imgburn to rip my discs. :)

Yep, he's in there. :p Both ports are almost arcade perfect.

Really? Hmm... I only have Sonic Jam at home, the rest are in storage. Maybe it's just something with that game that imgburn doesn't like. First disk that I've had problems with but only did ps1/ps2 before this. I'll look for a direct x update, I play pc games so much though I'm surprised it would be outdated but still worth a shot. It didn't give me the error yesterday, but it is now even if I redownload it.

most people are fine using imgburn, but once in a while i encounter a saturn disc that just refuses to read in most software, like sega ages afterburner. cdrwin has worked perfectly for me in those cases.

Sweet, thanks! I'll give it one more shot in imgburn and then try that out next if it still doesn't work. Thanks for all the help guys!

tearsofash

Yeah, but I don't have a ps2 :(

When I had an AES before I sold it earlier in the year I was thinking of getting it on that but..l $$$

What exactly is wrong with WW7 on Saturn? I'm pretty forgiving.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yeah, but I don't have a ps2 :(

When I had an AES before I sold it earlier in the year I was thinking of getting it on that but..l $$$

What exactly is wrong with WW7 on Saturn? I'm pretty forgiving.

in a nutshell - load times, low resolution backgrounds, and slowdown.

So what's the best emulator to use? I'd like to play Panzer Dragoon with a 360 controller or Nights.
SSF, now and forever

Bumbity bump!

With all this hype aroung EVO and fighting games I decided to test a couple of those with SSF. Shit looks good, really fun to play fullscreen on an HDTV.

One thing that is really fun and that I'd like to propose to any fighting game enthusiasts is to play these games on SSF with their fightsticks, for those who don't know: The sticks on PS360 works perfectly on your PC with SSF, and god its good.

Here's Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers Revenge), the game works perfectly and is a blast to play, though I really should get Vampire Savior on Ebay soon.

mKEha.png
J9DJf.png

The best Street Fighter for me: Street Fighter Zero 3, man there should still be tournaments with this one, its just that good. The Saturn version is pretty damn perfect. The World Tour concept was so good, I don't understand why they didn't try to keep it for future games. This shit was and still is so addicting.

hn86n.png
39ZKS.png

MriVN.png
pkUOR.png

Hype!

I still can't believe a company like Capcom who loves to nickel and dime gamers haven't released these games yet for XBLA and PSN. It's really baffling.

tearsofash

Are there any good FMV games or really embarrassing games on the Saturn? I have Street Fighter The Movie of The Game, but I'm always on the hunt for quirky random stuff for non-gamer friends. I only picked up my Saturn a month ago, I don't really even know where to start.

in a nutshell - load times, low resolution backgrounds, and slowdown.

Damn. I'll get it if it's cheap enough. If worse comes to worse I'll catch a ride to the arcade, they have it there.

Seik

Banned
I still can't believe a company like Capcom who loves to nickel and dime gamers haven't released these games yet for XBLA and PSN. It's really baffling.

Well there is a Darkstalkers game and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PSN.

The thing is that those are the inferior playstation versions. :/

Does SSF have plugins or shaders of any kind?

I don't think so, everything SSF does is basically made to replicate the original games perfectly, so no extra shadows, resolution, ect.

I used to have SF Zero 3 for Saturn, imported it from GameCave or whatever shop was advertising it in GameFan Magazine, IIRC. It really was the perfect version in my eyes, but I understand the Dreamcast version is very comparable if not better. And it's in English. So I sold my Saturn disc for like $80 on Amazon last year. I have SF Collection (JP version) for Alpha 2 Gold now, but it's just not the same as having ol' Zero 3...

Seik

Banned
Meh, is there a different emulator then? I want to pretend I'm playing a PC game with bad graphics.

I know there is another one but I can't remember the name, though I think people talked about it in this very thread, but this one is far from being just as stable, compatible and easy to use as SSF.

I used to have SF Zero 3 for Saturn, imported it from GameCave or whatever shop was advertising it in GameFan Magazine, IIRC. It really was the perfect version in my eyes, but I understand the Dreamcast version is very comparable if not better. And it's in English. So I sold my Saturn disc for like $80 on Amazon last year. I have SF Collection (JP version) for Alpha 2 Gold now, but it's just not the same as having ol' Zero 3...

9gBm5.png

so I can't for the life of me can figure out why imgburn won't work. I'm trying to rip Shining Force 3 but it's been "Analyzing... Sessions 1 Track 2" for over an hour. And I've tried changing settings and whatever else. Am I missing something obvious? I know the disc is fine on my laptop, except that when SSF is running straight from the disc, I can hear the optical drive making lots of noise and the game skips.

M3d10n

Meh, is there a different emulator then? I want to pretend I'm playing a PC game with bad graphics.

You better pretend you're playing a really old PC game then, since all others emulators I know of (Satourne, Yabause and GiriGiri) are long dead and have very low compatibility rates compared to SSF.

There is/was a better version of GiriGiri around, but it's not legal since it's a hacked version of Sega's own version of the emulator, which they licensed and improved for their digital download services (and GameTap).

For further tears, here's some screenshots I took from the Shining Force 3 demo from back when Sega's DD service was still active (it looked good but was still glitchy):

sf3_demo_006fhjsb.jpg
sf3_demo_007srk8x.jpg

sf3_demo_0127bjbc.jpg
sf3_demo_043h8kxk.jpg

Seik

Banned
so I can't for the life of me can figure out why imgburn won't work. I'm trying to rip Shining Force 3 but it's been "Analyzing... Sessions 1 Track 2" for over an hour. And I've tried changing settings and whatever else. Am I missing something obvious? I know the disc is fine on my laptop, except that when SSF is running straight from the disc, I can hear the optical drive making lots of noise and the game skips.

Are you trying to rip your to disc into an .ISO or .bin?

.bin for me and it always works!

Are you trying to rip your to disc into an .ISO or .bin?

.bin for me and it always works!

I'm doing .bin
So first I do Create image file from disc (or Read mode), Settings are at Max/Max.
It does a few checks, and just stays on Analyzing Session 1 Track 2 forever.
And I tried doing .iso but it refuses to and forces me to do .bin anyways.

Top Bottom