• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Celine

I think I know my next purchase...

T-24601G%20J%20BOOK.jpg

IrishNinja

nice haul! man azel looks pretty, wonder how much is playable?

my JP lot should hopefully be here soon, post-holiday mail seems improved but still slow-ish for some reason.

CrovaxPSO

I ordered a couple Saturn games from eBay and they came in nice bags that fold over and seal. Does anyone know where I can buy these bags on their own? I'd like to put more of my stuff in them. I know this isn't really a Saturn-specific question but this seems like a good place to ask.

Mikhal

I probably won't be able to give any of the games a good shot till the weekend. Maybe I can get in some multiplayer Funky Head Boxers then too.

I ordered a couple Saturn games from eBay and they came in nice bags that fold over and seal. Does anyone know where I can buy these bags on their own? I'd like to put more of my stuff in them. I know this isn't really a Saturn-specific question but this seems like a good place to ask.

You can try these: http://www.meritline.com/10mm-cd-jewel-case-opp-clear-bag---p-20454.aspx

I hear the Japanese made ones are higher quality so if you want those check out ebay.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kingdom Grandprix, nice. Only part of the Raizing STG trilogy on Saturn that I'm missing. How do you like it?

I'm not that dude, but Kingdom Grand Prix is alright. It's one of the more interesting shooters up there, just because it's all designed to be a race, but beyond that novelty... it's nothing too special. Certainly not on the level of Battle Garegga or Soukyugurentai.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah, that's them. I was having some kind of brain fart and couldn't figure out what terms to use to find them. Looks like they're just called resealable sleeves. Thanks!

cj_iwakura

I guess someone here is more likely to know: at what point in Dragon Force PS2 should I prepare to go after the optional bosses? I'm almost done with Fandaria(Tristan Campaign).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I guess someone here is more likely to know: at what point in Dragon Force PS2 should I prepare to go after the optional bosses? I'm almost done with Fandaria(Tristan Campaign).
Their level scales according to your monarch, so I'm not sure if it matters much. Ayame & Matsuri are fairly easy. Harseld is probably the hardest fight in the game, especially if you're the type who prefers not to use troop crests.

Mikhal

Yeah. I'd say less than $20. It was 1210 yen but then you have to take into account shipping and the fact that I used a proxy for the whole thing. In the end, the whole package costs around $120 shipped to me. I never heard about Azel having problems on an NA Saturn. Is it just a disc swap issue? I have a J-Saturn so I didn't really think about that stuff.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah. I'd say less than $20. It was 1210 yen but then you have to take into account shipping and the fact that I used a proxy for the whole thing. In the end, the whole package costs around $120 shipped to me. I never heard about Azel having problems on an NA Saturn. Is it just a disc swap issue? I have a J-Saturn so I didn't really think about that stuff.

It just doesn't work with the Action Replay like every other game does. PAL copies have the same problem.

The workaround is a code manually entered onto the AR cart which must be enabled when you boot the Saturn. Details here.

cj_iwakura

Their level scales according to your monarch, so I'm not sure if it matters much. Ayame & Matsuri are fairly easy. Harseld is probably the hardest fight in the game, especially if you're the type who prefers not to use troop crests.

When can you fight them? And I've kept Junon legit this time. (Teiris not so much.)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
When can you fight them? And I've kept Junon legit this time. (Teiris not so much.)
Ayame & Matsuri are south of Palemoon. You have to fight them first. I know you're told to check out the area at some point in the story.
Harseld is on the very northern end of Fandaria.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Speaking of Dragon Force... Been too long since I played it, but my boyfriend resumed his old game (which he hadn't touched in a while, was sitting on his backlog along with countless others). He knows you need to send certain generals to certain shrines based on elemental hints, but how are you supposed to know which general has which element?

I offered to look up the solution on GameFAQs but he's being stubborn to the point of being stupid and is just slogging through different combinations. :p

Young Magus

The JP release usually goes for < $20. It requires some elbow grease to get running on a NA Saturn.

Props to Last Bronx btw

Cool might pick it up out here if I can find it! Amazon JP prices are around 5000 yen :(

IrishNinja

well, i'm gonna have to behave for a bit: just bought PDS for $250 shipped. pristine, but damn that's the most ive ever paid for a game...i debated it for a bit, but here we are in 2014 and the game has hovered well over $200 for more than a decade now, and i've prolly spent more on far less i figure. yay!

well, i'm gonna have to behave for a bit: just bought PDS for $250 shipped. pristine, but damn that's the most ive ever paid for a game...i debated it for a bit, but here we are in 2014 and the game has hovered well over $200 for more than a decade now, and i've prolly spent more on far less i figure. yay!

Grats. I hope to make a similar purchase soon. Keep running into cases where I am not completely sure about the condition of the game so I don't go though with it.

Gunsmithx

Grats dude! Now I have a copy to borrow ;)

Mikhal

Speaking of Dragon Force... Been too long since I played it, but my boyfriend resumed his old game (which he hadn't touched in a while, was sitting on his backlog along with countless others). He knows you need to send certain generals to certain shrines based on elemental hints, but how are you supposed to know which general has which element?

I offered to look up the solution on GameFAQs but he's being stubborn to the point of being stupid and is just slogging through different combinations. :p

If he just wants hints the generals are the 8 main characters/monarchs. He must also put them in a party together with no extra generals in it or the event won't trigger. The south one (Water/Fire/Forest) is probably the easiest to figure out. If you just want the answers, see the spoiler.

Forest Shrine (South): Teiris, Reinhart, Gongos
Cape Shrine (East): Leon, Mikhal, Junon
Snow Shrine (North): Wein, Goldark

How's that pinball game on the bottom left? I checked it out on YouTube after seeing it on eBay and it looked nice.

I still haven't played anything I got. Working nights and in 12 hour shifts sorta take up most of my time. I do hope to try most of it out during the weekend though. I heard the game was decent, but it's no Alien's Crush. I got it cause it was a Technosoft game and it was cheap!

Awesome! Where'd you get it?

IrishNinja

Awesome! Where'd you get it?

deal on another forum, which pretty much seems (outside of random CL listings, if you're lucky) the best spot for retro stuff at a decent price these days. dude was asking $350+, so as i'm want to do, i drunkenly posted that i'd buy it at $250 or less if he had no offers - he PM'd an offer of $300 and now sober, i politely explained that i understood his desire to maximize his profit, as he could very likely get his asking price on ebay, and i'd rather just be patient, right? few days later, he invoiced me for my amount, and didn't mind waiting till i got paid again. if it wasn't for paypal leaning so heavily in the buyer's favor i'd be more wary, but i think dude just wants some quick $, so hopefully it works out. i do intend to finish Zwei & only play when the Year of the Saturn calls for it, so i can finally experience it with fellow gaffers!

really excited though, caught Shining Wisdom on a deal with a fellow gaffer this week so that leaves Shining Force III, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Burning Rangers on the high end; no hurry but i'm keeping my eyes open. you know what else joined that group, though? fuckin' Elevator Action Returns; i swear to god it was like $40-50 a few months back; last open auction ended yesterday at $100+. even certain elements of the import scene are starting to be affected by the bubble, so i think i'm taking a step back from the saturn scene & looking into dreamcast soon before that gets bad, yeesh.

cj_iwakura

If he just wants hints the generals are the 8 main characters/monarchs. He must also put them in a party together with no extra generals in it or the event won't trigger. The south one (Water/Fire/Forest) is probably the easiest to figure out. If you just want the answers, see the spoiler.

Forest Shrine (South): Teiris, Reinhart, Gongos
Cape Shrine (East): Leon, Mikhal, Junon
Snow Shrine (North): Wein, Goldark

I think this changes based on the campaign, though.

IrishNinja

^me too, man...i like to think this will remain the single most expensive game i'll buy, since even MKR, Snatcher etc are like $150 tops - thanks 16!

Minor plot extras for playing the previous ones, but nothing that is going to make PDS not make sense.

Man, I cringe every time I hear someone buying PDS...because its always a large amount regardless of the deal (I got mine when it was released. Played $65 for it new). At this point, Sega just needs to do a straight port. I know some will complain about their games loosing value, but sorry, I think video games are meant to be played.

Still, congrats, Irish, on getting a reasonable modern deal on PDS.

I still need to play through Burning Rangers (friend was getting rid of most of his Saturn games and gifted it to me), and finish up Radiant Silvergun (fiancee had bought me a copy while she was doing her study abroad in Japan back in 2010).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
imo it's worth about $80 to a SEGA nerd like me. it's solid but no fucking way is it worth its asking price.

at least it's better than Burning Rangers.

Teknoman

Congrats man, and yeah thats just one of those things you have to bite the bullet on with a price you feel comfortable with.

Mzo

Grats, Irish! I got crazy lucky with mine around 12 years ago, when I still worked at EBX. Someone came to trade it in, we didn't take Saturn games anymore, got it cheap. Kind of miss the perks of working at a game store sometimes, but times have changed and working at GS is way worse these days.

Just got Gunbird and Princess Crown from Arcade Gear. I fully recommend that store to anybody into J Saturn stuff, btw. He has found me some great stuff at great prices, and always in pristine condition.

Kind of bummed out by all the text in Princess Crown. It has steeled my resolve to learn Japanese, though, because that game is gorgeous. I'll fumble through with a walkthrough for now.

Gunbird was inexpensive and I didn't want my only version of the game to be Mobile motherfucking Light Force. I have an irrational love for Psykio shooters and this is a really fun one to play.

Next up on the list are Twinkle Star Sprites and PuLiRuLa.

I'm so glad I got all of the Panzer Dragoon games when they were first released.

I'm sure I've posted a different picture of it before, but here's my current Saturn collection:

There's still a few more games I keep meaning to get, but I keep getting distracted by a ton of other games on other consoles. Heh.

I almost ordered X-Men vs. Street Fighter a few weeks back, but didn't go through with it. It was a cheap copy, too, from the U.S.! Oh, well. I'll get it eventually. Good thing it doesn't go for all that much. I also want to get Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, but I don't like that game as much, so it can wait.

Grats, Irish! I got crazy lucky with mine around 12 years ago, when I still worked at EBX. Someone came to trade it in, we didn't take Saturn games anymore, got it cheap. Kind of miss the perks of working at a game store sometimes, but times have changed and working at GS is way worse these days.

Just got Gunbird and Princess Crown from Arcade Gear. I fully recommend that store to anybody into J Saturn stuff, btw. He has found me some great stuff at great prices, and always in pristine condition.

Kind of bummed out by all the text in Princess Crown. It has steeled my resolve to learn Japanese, though, because that game is gorgeous. I'll fumble through with a walkthrough for now.

Gunbird was inexpensive and I didn't want my only version of the game to be Mobile motherfucking Light Force. I have an irrational love for Psykio shooters and this is a really fun one to play.

Next up on the list are Twinkle Star Sprites and PuLiRuLa.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did Pricess Crown run you?

I had an interesting expierence aquiring that game. I bought the game from an eBay seller in 09 for $75. Shortly there after, I found out about the PSP port, and decided it'd be cool to have that. Paid $35 for it. I then gave the Saturn version as a gift to a friend who had bought a Japanese Saturn. Later, this friend dropped nearing all of his video game stuff (he's a bit OCD, for him its all or nothing, and in his case I can see it). he ended up granting a bunch of his unsold game stuff to a female mutual friend. This mutual friend later became my fiancee.

Mzo

If you don't mind me asking, how much did Pricess Crown run you?

I had an interesting expierence aquiring that game. I bought the game from an eBay seller in 09 for $75. Shortly there after, I found out about the PSP port, and decided it'd be cool to have that. Paid $35 for it. I then gave the Saturn version as a gift to a friend who had bought a Japanese Saturn. Later, this friend dropped nearing all of his video game stuff (he's a bit OCD, for him its all or nothing, and in his case I can see it). he ended up granting a bunch of his unsold game stuff to a female mutual friend. This mutual friend later became my fiancee.

Yeah, no problem. Just looked up the email, Arcade Gear charged me 5000 yen for it.

Grats on PDS, have my eyes on a Space Adventure Cobra for Sega CD right now that if it goes for around $100 I might pick up. But I'm still amazed at how bad the bubble has gotten for the also ran systems. Stuff like Shinobi Legions and others are way overpriced nowadays.

So what is February for Year of the Saturn?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He knows they are the main generals, and he doesn't want the answer (I found it on various FAQs and offered to tell him while he was playing, but he stubbornly refuses to use a FAQ). My question wasn't who needed to go where, but how you are supposed to know who goes where. For instance, how are you supposed to know Golddark is "light" or Junon is "thunder"? Is there any in-game or in-manual hint about that? I could guess Mikhal being "wind" based on his "sonic boom" and gale-something abilities, but Junon's magic is fire, so that's obviously not consistent.

Basically, how is a normal player, without a FAQ, supposed to figure it out?

Yes. There's no real direct connection between them, as far as I can remember...and the same goes for all of the games in the series, really.
Eh? The games are indeed very much connected story-wise. However, it's perfectly possible to play PDS without having played the others. You'd miss out on some lore and background story but the story itself will make enough sense, I think. There definitely is a direct connection, however.

Celine

How are the two Dragon Ball games on Saturn?

To me they looks inferior to the similar games on SNES and PC Engine (Hyper Dimension and DRAGON BALL Z: IDAINARU GOKU DENSETSU).

Eh? The games are indeed very much connected story-wise. However, it's perfectly possible to play PDS without having played the others. You'd miss out on some lore and background story but the story itself will make enough sense, I think. There definitely is a direct connection, however.
I meant more like that they're not direct sequels or anything. They all have different characters and stories.

Mikhal

I think this changes based on the campaign, though.
I don't recall ever having to change who goes where. There are some scenarios where you're missing a needed person, but they end up meeting you at the correct shrine I think. I could be wrong though.

Grats on PDS, have my eyes on a Space Adventure Cobra for Sega CD right now that if it goes for around $100 I might pick up. But I'm still amazed at how bad the bubble has gotten for the also ran systems. Stuff like Shinobi Legions and others are way overpriced nowadays.

So what is February for Year of the Saturn?

I regret not getting Shinobi when it was cheaper. Still need to hunt that one down.

He knows they are the main generals, and he doesn't want the answer (I found it on various FAQs and offered to tell him while he was playing, but he stubbornly refuses to use a FAQ). My question wasn't who needed to go where, but how you are supposed to know who goes where. For instance, how are you supposed to know Golddark is "light" or Junon is "thunder"? Is there any in-game or in-manual hint about that? I could guess Mikhal being "wind" based on his "sonic boom" and gale-something abilities, but Junon's magic is fire, so that's obviously not consistent.

Basically, how is a normal player, without a FAQ, supposed to figure it out?

I can't explain every general because the clues are pretty shit. I was stuck for a long time when I initially played too. I hinted at tackling the Forest Shrine first because that's the only one that made sense. The hint here for me was to look at the second opening intro to see who is fire and water. The guard of the forest being Gongos is obvious to complete the trio. Then I just make educated guesses for the other two shrines with the remaining generals. Goldark is actually kindness, but nobody would ever realize that until his scenario gets played.

Top Bottom