• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega says Sonic/Mario Olympics will sell 4 million copies

puck1337

Wii + DS, worldwide lifetime? It'll do that. The Wii version alone will do a million in North America in the first year.

Doogdogg

:lol

Ohh Sega...

The old days you make some great games that sold 4000 copies.....now you make shitty games that sells 40 copies.

Yoboman

I can see it. Mario and Sonic, in an Olympics game in the year of the Olympics. It'll push millions easy

Meier

Anyone who expects LESS than 4 million for this is in for a rude awakening. 6-7 million combined.. easily.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Maxwell House said:
There is no chance in hell. I'd be surprised if it sells half that much.

You'd be surprised if it sold a million copies in the states, and half a million each in Japan and the UK?

Yoboman

Leave the hyperbole to me, Sega
mysmilie_1474.gif

GDGF said:
Yeah, this game will appeal to a shit load of audiences. Nintendo fans, Sega fans, casual gamers, Olympic, uh, fans.

It may not hit 4 million, but it's going to hit multiple millions. Hell, four isn't really out of the question.

Seriously, if they did put a Wiimote in the package I would say 4 for sure.
Packing a $40 controller in with a $50 game would make Escape From Bug Island a best seller.

Haunted

Across the two platforms and worldwide, I'd say it's a locked multi-million seller. 2, 3 or 4 million... I dunno. These things are so hard to gauge.

And we all know what happened last time devs predicted multi-million sales for their game.

I think it's pretty reasonable, they have the christmas rush and sales will be driven by the Mario and Sonic names. Advertise it again next year when the olympics start and you'll rake in more sales by it being an official olympic game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
4 million is not impossible, but I don't think it's likely.

Easily a million seller, though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I bet Sega is thinking:

1 million for being an Olympic game and being on the Wii
1 million for featuring Sonic
1 million for featuring Mario
1 million for featuring both of them together for the first time
----------------------------
Total: 4 million

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Sega says Sonic/Mario Olympics will sell 4 million copies

Damn right it will, providing it doesnt get the Boogie and MySims syndrome, and get crappy reviews.

I personally was thinking of buying Boogie and Mysims, but now Boogie is out of the question, and I HEAVILY doubt I will be buying Mysims. Sure, I will buy Mario & Sonic no matter what, but I don't think this would apply to everyone.

I dont doubt it.

I was talking to a friend the other day and the game he was most excited about was this.

Wii owners arent too bright and would buy a mediocer game because of waggle.

Maxwell House said:
It's a game about the olympics. What sort of sales appeal does a game like that have?

Well judging by the success of mini games(and Wii sports) on Nintendo platforms, the Olympics offer a huge potential for the sheer variety of sports you can play. The Olympics = World Cup of Mini-games

Linkzg said:
I dont doubt it.

I was talking to a friend the other day and the game he was most excited about was this.

Oh wow!

the formula is there for a sure fire hit.

Mario + sonic + Olympics comming up + wii

as long as the game is pretty good i can see that worldwide.. especially with a decent marketing campaign.

hell if the game turns out as a A title who knows.. Sega are capable of AAA titles still hopefully. lets hope the game has tons of unlockables and isn't Shallow.. if it has any kinda depth i'd buy it.

AniHawk

Linkzg said:
dude, its 4:13 am, I have been listening to this 1upyours for over 2 hours at this point.

dont even try to complain about a random spelling error.
So many punctuation errors.

CassSept

Why does everybody laugh at it?
Its entirely possible, being game with Mario (sonic isnt so hot brand atm), sports game (bah, official licensed olympics game!), on Wii and DS, why wont it reach 4 mls sold?

Lobster

Banned
If its a good game and advertised it will sell 4million. If its just put out there with the Mario name it will probably only sell about 2 million WW.

Let's do a ban bet. If it doesn't reach that after a reasonable time frame, Sega gets banned from GAF. It it does hit the 4mil, anyone who bought it gets banned.

Lobster

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Let's do a ban bet. If it doesn't reach that after a reasonable time frame, Sega gets banned from GAF. It it does hit the 4mil, anyone who bought it gets banned.

If that bet is taken theres going to be a massacre at GAF. 2,000+ people banned is not cool.

_PsiFire_

The target is equivalent to almost 20 percent of Sega’s games sales during the last financial year ended March 31.
If they reach this feat, I'm sure they will put most of that profit into 360 and/or PS3 game exclusives.

ram

dont underestimate this game - the game will be huge (at least sales wise) - thats why sega focused at this game only at the german games convention too (sega rally was only playable at microsoft and at the business center).

Shahadan

So, Sega is the Britney Spears of the video game industry, right?
Drugged, fat, and not even trying to do good things.

EktorPR

Linkzg said:
I dont doubt it.

I seriously hope this is a joke post.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but something tell me that this game won't sell well at all.

You are dead set wrong. Nintendo fans and Sega fans will buy it because of Mario VS Sonic. Rest of the world will buy it because it has Mario in the title and because its a olympic games title.

cvxfreak

I myself find the expectation to be reasonable. Europe is a big market for Sonic and Japan's become bigger for Mario over the last few years.

Juice

This would bee entirely likely if they released the Wii in mainland China to coincide with the games. Just fill the leftover space in the box with cyanide to keep out pirate modders

Topfuel

Doogdogg said:
:lol

Ohh Sega...

The old days you make some great games that sold 4000 copies.....now you make shitty games that sells 40 copies.

...and still they make more money now, compared to the old days.......

Jokeropia

Quite ambitious, but I guess it's a possibility.
davepoobond said:
and that matters to people who are like in their 30s now...
Many people who started gaming with either Sega or Nintendo are of that age.

Top Bottom