• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to cut 300 jobs (heavily arcade/pub staff), refocusing on digital/mobile/PC [Up]

Yakuza
Shinobi
Sonic
Phantasy Star
Shining Force
Shenmue
Valkyria Chronicles
Persona
Streets of Rage
Virtua Fighter
Panzer Dragoon
Jet Set Radio
Skies of Arcadia
Space Channel 5
Rez
Daytona USA
Super Monkey Ball
House of the Dead
Virtua Tennis

At one point it had one of the best RPG franchises in Phantasy Star. It had one of the best mascots in Sonic. It had one of the best open world games in Shenmue. It had one of the best on rails shooters in Panzer Dragoon. It had one of the best rally games in Sega Rally. It had one of the best sports games in Virtua Tennis. It had one of the best beat-em ups in Streets of Rage. One of the best SRPG's in Shining Force. One of the best fighting games in Virtua Fighter.

List goes on and on. So much IP potential crushed over the years via horrible mismanagement of basically every IP they own. They killed themselves on the hardware front. Killing themselves on the software front. And now they want to go full on into the mobile world. With what? Sonic Boom?

Always sucks to see a company start to have to axe jobs. But fuck, Sega has to be one of the worst managed companies ... ever? Yeah ever. Just ... utterly sad to watch companies like them operate.

SerTapTap

i would just put it on steam. seriously. put a high-profile dd game on xbla and psn and the most people will pay is $20, maybe $30 tops. do the same for steam and you can probably hit $30 to $40 at launch and it wouldn't be considered an outrage.

i agree on the other points, but i don't think sega japan's teams have much drive anymore.
What? Most indie devs seem to report higher sales but lower revuene on PC because so many are obsessed with steam sales. That didn't sound reasonable at all

AniHawk

Former and current employees talk about the company anonymously:

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/

No sympathy for this fucking joke of a company.

the sega japan/america schism was at least underway during the saturn era, if not earlier (naka really didn't care for sonic team usa). sucks that sega japan in particular is so shitty when it was america and europe that really led the charge for the company's growth in the 90s.

i don't get why europe got so much say though. yeah they sold a lot of mega drives, but they were a big fucking nothing with the saturn like soa was, and soa managed to really turn around the image of the company with the dreamcast kind of on their own.

Lernaean

Banned
I'm sorry to hear this but at the same time hope this means we get more PC ports like Valkyrie Chronicles.

Would love to see Bayonetta and Yakuza on PC.

Sad that Sega could never turn it around. I guess we'll get more PC ports, at least. :p

You don't get it i think. Mobile and Online PC games does not mean any port of any game you might be dreaming.

The SEGA of old was officially dead a decade ago to me.

And to me as well.

AniHawk

What? Most indie devs seem to report higher sales but lower revuene on PC because so many are obsessed with steam sales. That didn't sound reasonable at all

get strong day/week one sales, and then drop the price from $40 to $20 during steam sales. if the game was going to be sold at $20 on psn anyway, at least it looks like it's a pretty great deal now instead of being scrutinized because other psn games are $10-15.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sad that Sega could never turn it around. I guess we'll get more PC ports, at least. :p

You won't because there is no money to pay for them. It feels like a miracle that Valkyria made it out. If Vanquish or Yakuza do make it to PC, then it'll be as some sort of WELP, THATS ALL THE MONEY GONE initiative.

i don't get why europe got so much say though. yeah they sold a lot of mega drives, but they were a big fucking nothing with the saturn like soa was, and soa managed to really turn around the image of the company with the dreamcast kind of on their own.

All the execs and shakers slowly left SOA after the Dreamcast, while Europe held on to some vaguely top personnel. It helped that Sega Europe had plans with things like Champ Manager, whereas America had no plan whatsoever other than to hope Sonic would save the day again. Also, Sega of Europe had the boon of being closer tied to Sumo who were one of few devs still making good Sega games in the west at that point.

In general, Sega America started to rot when Peter Moore legged it after firing tons of people on the way out.

Mytherin

Neo Member
If I'm reading this right, this is Sega US and Sega EU only, right?

Then I honestly couldn't care less. I doubt they'd give up on Creative Assembly after their successes, and that's the only worthwhile studio between Sega US/EU. For the rest all the actually good games are made by Sega JP/Atlus anyway. As long as those aren't affected I'm good.

Hopefully they sell off some franchisees if this is a global shift of direction. If Atlus does happen to go back for sale, anyone but Sony needs to grab them. Persona will survive whoever picks them up but Etrian Odyssey cannot survive a Sony purchase.

Sega does what Nintendon't.

SEGA will always be the kings of my 16 bit era.

Nintendo really did kill them in the end...

No, everything bad that happen, Sega did to themselves. Its amazing that for the number of bad decisions the company has made that they are still even around at all.

Question: Since this seems to be only Sega of America, would anything be lost to Sega fans if they just went away? Assuming the rest of Sega continues existing (Japan, Creative Assembly, Relic, Altus, etc), is anything being lost here, or would we gain something? Somebody would probably license, translate, and release their games here. Maybe more so if Sega of America didn't exist anymore? Not taking anything from their past, and I hope all their employees find awesome employment somewhere else.

I agree, but Sega as an entity shrinking so much is not good at all, even for the Japanese branch and our current interest, Atlus.
I will remain hopeful, but maybe Atlus has a chance of jumping ship to another company or Sega sells them off or something if things suddenly get dire.

brett2

It's been over for a long time now. Japanese gamers simply don't buy home consoles anymore and Japanese made console games (with few exceptions) don't sell that well in the west anymore. There is almost no business model for a Japanese company to make home console games. PC games + mobile games have been moderately successful for Sega so they are smart to focus on their areas of strength. It sucks but all of the old console and arcade franchises are pretty much dead.

Aki-at

the sega japan/america schism was at least underway during the saturn era, if not earlier (naka really didn't care for sonic team usa). sucks that sega japan in particular is so shitty when it was america and europe that really led the charge for the company's growth in the 90s.

Probably because SEGA Europe has had a decade of mostly success vs SEGA America's decade of mostly failures.

I don't think it was always the case, Simon Jeffrey was given plenty of cash to rebuild SEGA America but it kept failing spectacularly whilst Mike Hayes managed to curve out a successful niche for SEGA in the PC arena.

Ferr986

Former and current employees talk about the company anonymously:

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/

No sympathy for this fucking joke of a company.

Bad business decisions, well above my pay grade. Money over quality was the general attitude there, and we missed out on some great opportunities.

This was basically the biggest problem with Sega, especially with Sonic. They were so obsesed in monetarize the franchise from kids that forgot the quality of the product, and thats a bad move, especially with such a big franchise like Sonic. Sonic Boom is probably the biggest example.

How the mighty have fallen.

Like a poster above wrote, it's hard to understand how a company with that many of successful IPs can mismanage so hard that it's barely working these days.

marcincz

So this is definitely the end of ...Shenmue3!? End of speculations and hype trains.

I wonder what happens with Atlus and Yakuza series.

I grew up on Sega consoles so this is a hard pill to swalllow, there goes a significant part of my childhood.

Hoping SEGA Japan will keep going at least.

Well it was nice knowing you Sega.

They're just going to sputter out of existence while churning mobile apps and talking about the "future".

Honestly the best thing that can happen is that they dissolve and the IP they hold gets sold to someone who gives a shit about it. Sega has been dead a long time. The developers and talent are not there anymore. Its like Atari in the 2000s.

hurray 300 people are now unemployed!
One of the most ridiculous things i see on this forum.

Businesses close and people lose their jobs. It happens. We're not on the forum of universal sympathy for all misfortune, we're on fucking gaming side talking about videogames.

I hope you hit Off Topic after every new movie releases to remind everyone that the majority of the crew now needs to find a new project or their families will eventually starve.

brett2

it's hard to understand how a company with that many of successful IPs can mismanage so hard that it's barely working these days.

Sega's management has always been dogshit - ALWAYS. Even in the glory days the Japanese and Western factions couldn't work well together or have any real long term plans. That they were so successful at all is a testament to their amazing game developers and hardware engineers.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
One of the most ridiculous things i see on this forum.

Businesses close and people lose their jobs. It happens. We're not on the forum of universal sympathy for all misfortune, we're on fucking gaming side talking about videogames.

I hope you hit Off Topic after every new movie releases to remind everyone that the majority of the crew now needs to find a new project or their families will eventually starve.
it is more ridiculous to be sad about this than happy

alright

KageMaru

With how many of their franchises I love, this makes me incredibly sad. =(

Does this mean no more Virtua Fighter? I still don't understand how they don't dip into their classics and bring them to the consoles.

Lernaean

Banned
What a downfall. This is more depressing than when they went third party.

This is the direct aftermath of going third party. They went down like SNK and any company that made HW and went third party.
It also is a slap on the face of every 'analyst', professional or amateur, who thinks third party is a good option for any company.

lazygecko

The internal struggles were already there in the 1980's. It was all Sega of America's initiative to push the Genesis as an actual competitor to Nintendo, which SoJ had no faith in. At times it almost seems like the Japanese division was jealous of the success the hardware had overseas and almost sabotaged things with poor decisions out of pure spite.

Nintendo really did kill them in the end...

It's funny how pervasive this stuff is. It feels just like the "Ronald Reagan killed communism" mindset that so many Americans have deluded themselves into thinking.

Like what kind of fucking decision is it to not have sonic 1-3+knuckles available on ps4+xb1? Why? Its one of those dead simple, cant lose things. Make them available for $5 each, I bet they sell consistent numbers across the life of those systems and costs almost nothing to accomplish.

Sega should be doing like nintendo and having their classic franchises available on every generation of console because they will always be consistent sellers..

Great products like the whitehead sonic CD and 1+2 are left on mobile platforms while they spend millions on sonic boom for consoles and wonder why it doesn't sell? Lol

Top Bottom