• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to cut 300 jobs (heavily arcade/pub staff), refocusing on digital/mobile/PC [Up]

tuffy

If Atlus wasn't profitable just doing their thing, I don't think Sega would've acquired them in the first place. So I'm not particularly worried about that side of the business. In the worst case, I expect they'll just be folded under someone else's umbrella.

Sony need to buy the rights to Shenmue, sort out all the red tape and licensing issues surrounding the two games and bring out a HD collection, all the while hiring Suzuki, Masahiro Yoshimoto, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and other people from the original development team to work on Shenmue 3, as part of a Studio Japan team. I mean it's not like Sega is ever going to do it.

And no, this does not read like fan-fiction, SHUT THE HELL UP!

Sony need to buy the rights to Shenmue, sort out all the red tape and licensing issues surrounding the two games and bring out a HD collection, all the while hiring Suzuki, Masahiro Yoshimoto, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and other people from the original development team to work on Shenmue 3, as part of a Studio Japan team. I mean it's not like Sega is ever going to do it.

There are just not enough people who care about shenmue and its kind of a bad game. Sorry to be blunt about it. I just don't get the shenmue thing.

Model 3 arcade collections should be about 1000 items up the list from a shenmue collection.

KageMaru

Anyone needs to buy the rights to Shenmue, sort out all the red tape and licensing issues surrounding the two games and bring out a HD collection, all the while hiring Suzuki, Masahiro Yoshimoto, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and other people from the original development team to work on Shenmue 3, as part of a Studio Japan team. I mean it's not like Sega is ever going to do it.

FTFY.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is the direct aftermath of going third party. They went down like SNK and any company that made HW and went third party.
It also is a slap on the face of every 'analyst', professional or amateur, who thinks third party is a good option for any company.

SNK was third party before they made a console. Their downfall is no surprise, as they continually try to milk the emaciated Metal Slug/King of Fighter cows rather than come up with something new.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Like what kind of fucking decision is it to not have sonic 1-3+knuckles available on ps4+xb1? Why? Its one of those dead simple, cant lose things. Make them available for $5 each, I bet they sell consistent numbers across the life of those systems and costs almost nothing to accomplish.

Can't afford to pay the guy that already has working S3&K prototype for all platforms. Can't afford to put Sonic 1 & 2 through testing and cert + whatever miniscule work it would require to get them onto consoles + PC.

Its like an 18-Wheeler full of diamonds and jewels ripe for the market, but the brakes are out and since nobody on board has the nouse to fix them they have no choice but to careen off a cliff and be lost forever to the depths of the sea.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Updated the title a bit.

Their development staff sounds like it's getting reserved cuts, but will refocus what they're working on.

Malio

That's too bad. Can't wait for the digital market well to dry up then we can laugh at them all over again.

I wonder what this means for Yakuza 5....I know they partnered with Sony for localization but I'm still nervous about it. I've been waiting so long for the next installment in the series to reach NA, I hope it's still coming.

Lernaean

Banned
SNK was third party before they made a console. Their downfall is no surprise, as they continually try to milk the emaciated Metal Slug/King of Fighter cows rather than come up with something new.

If you do not care to sell your HW you don't take chances, experiment and innovate, you just milk your popular entries. That's what SNK does, that's what Sega does, and that's the safest way to reach complete irrelevance.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So no Generations 2 then? No chance of ever getting JSRF HD? Panzer Dragoon HD Collection? ;-;

I don't really understand Sega going digital considering they barely release any of their back catalog via digital.

Shenmue, Skies, Virtua titles, Sega Rally...all these releases completely dried up a few years ago.

It's literally like this company has given up, so it's not surprising that they're slowly dying.

my favorite part of this thread is people saying that sega doesnt make money on pc and theyre dead now

this is probably the smartest move theyve made in years

marcincz

Dude. I love Shenmue, but it's impossible. In '90 when Sony was empire it could be happen, but now? Unfortunately, not.
Let's hope they will be still releasing Yakuza series.

Occam

The real Sega died 14 years ago. Are there any of the people left who created the wealth of Sega arcade and console titles of the 80s and 90s? I doubt it.

Tizoc

Wait wait... is it about Sega in Japan or Sega USA ?

Mainly SEGA USA.

I don't really understand Sega going digital considering they barely release any of their back catalog via digital.

Shenmue, Skies, Virtua titles, Sega Rally...all these releases completely dried up a few years ago.

It's literally like this company has given up, so it's not surprising that they're slowly dying.

...and should they DO announce them for Steam, you'll flip a 180 and be all 'SEGA IS SAVED!' :p

Somnid

Eventually they're gonna run out of marketshare and mindshare to retreat into, I mean they've been giving up ground since the early 90s.

Can't afford to pay the guy that already has working S3&K prototype for all platforms. Can't afford to put Sonic 1 & 2 through testing and cert + whatever miniscule work it would require to get them onto consoles + PC.

Its like an 18-Wheeler full of diamonds and jewels ripe for the market, but the brakes are out and since nobody on board has the nouse to fix them they have no choice but to careen off a cliff and be lost forever to the depths of the sea.

They can probably afford it. They probably just don't have any interest in it, especially since from my understanding, the main people that pushed for the Taxman ports on the US side of things aren't at the company anymore.

Granted, that's probably even more retarded than not being able to afford it, but yeah.

In terms of having absolute treasures and opportunities slip through their fingers, even ones that should've been a given, SEGA has got to be just about the most afflicted in the sum of gaming history.

Thanks for all the good times.

iupnm0hg9f5n21.gif

...and should they DO announce them for Steam, you'll flip a 180 and be all 'SEGA IS SAVED!' :p

No, not until their balance sheet starts looking a lot better. They're still scheduled to make a profit, but it's trending smaller.

I'll say Sega is saved when they actually start releasing bold titles like they used to, rather than churning out Sonic and Football Manager...

The best title the once-great Sega is associated with now is FOOTBALL MANAGER...

tumblr_lqrl3xemDw1qb0q9io1_400.gif

There are just not enough people who care about shenmue and its kind of a bad game. Sorry to be blunt about it. I just don't get the shenmue thing.

Model 3 arcade collections should be about 1000 items up the list from a shenmue collection.

I think it was Gio Corsi who said recently that out of all the games that are requested at the #BuildingTheList campaign Sony's got going over on Twitter, Shenmue is by far the most asked for. That's gotta count for something. And then not so long ago, there was Empire's 100 Video Games Of All Time list as voted by their readership, in which Shenmue II came in at 50-something and Shenmue came in at 7, beating the likes of Skyrim and GTA V. Now I know that such examples don't state definitively that Shenmue is a potential goldmine in dire need of resurrecting for that untapped commercial potential, but it is testament to the fact that the memory of the franchise lives on long after its last proper installment. People will never stop bleating on about Shenmue, it's just that good.

What do SEGA have anyway..... Sonic, Yakuza, Miku and whatever the VC/SW/SoA team does.

Thats all I expect.

Atlus not included.

They own several of the most successful (pc) studio's; sports interactive, Relic, Creative Assembly. Football Manager makes tons of money as does total war.

I think it was Gio Corsi who said recently that out of all the games that are requested at the #BuildingTheList campaign Sony's got going over on Twitter, Shenmue is by far the most asked for. That's gotta count for something. And then not so long ago, there was Empire's 100 Video Games Of All Time list as voted by their readership, in which Shenmue II came in at 50-something and Shenmue came in at 7, beating the likes of Skyrim and GTA V. Now I know that such examples don't state definitively that Shenmue is a potential goldmine in dire need of resurrecting for that untapped commercial potential, but it is testament to the fact that the memory of the franchise lives on long after its last proper installment. People will never stop bleating on about Shenmue, it's just that good.

Being the most requested means what in terms of number ?

Dr. Buni

Focusing on PC, huh?

It would be wonderful if this means SEGA is going to port some of their gems to PC, like the Panzer Dragoon games. Localizing Phantasy Star Online 2 would be neat, too.
Thank you! As long as Atlus stays unaffected emotions stay in the realm of happiness!
lmao

Atlus fanboys are the worst.

brett2

The only realistic path I can see for a Shenmue III is to have a HD remake of Shenmue I & II and see how they sell first. Of course if you want those to actually sell you are going to need to put in a good amount of development to make some pretty major updates, such as the control scheme, camera angles and character textures in particular. I would love to see it happen but the realist in me says it's dead as a doornail. I just don't see your typical console gamer that buys FIFA and COD giving a game like Shenmue, where you feed an ailing cat and have long talks on park benches with your girlfriend, a chance.

This is the direct aftermath of going third party. They went down like SNK and any company that made HW and went third party.
It also is a slap on the face of every 'analyst', professional or amateur, who thinks third party is a good option for any company.

That's nonsense. Sega and Snk were dead companies before they went third party. Both are examples how going third party can save the ass of the company.

Cheebo

Banned
Why are people treating this like Sega is dead? Since when are mobile games and PC games not real games? Those two platforms are very much at the center of the entire gaming industry. People here STILL aren't over being bitter about mobile? Mobile as a platform is not going away anytime soon.

Tizoc

Why are people treating this like Sega is dead? Since when are mobile games and PC games not real games? Those two platforms are very much at the center of the entire gaming industry. People here STILL aren't over being bitter about mobile? Mobile as a platform is not going away any time soon.

Thisisgaf.gif

Which reminds me that I should get Chain Chronicles already.

Soriku

Wait wait... is it about Sega in Japan or Sega USA ?

“Local organisations managing packaged game software in Western markets will be streamlined”, the company has said, with its San Francisco already confirmed for closure.

They're primarily talking about USA.

Atlus and Yakuza team are pretty successful, why would they screw them over?

Why are people treating this like Sega is dead? Since when are mobile games and PC games not real games? Those two platforms are very much at the center of the entire gaming industry. People here STILL aren't over being bitter about mobile? Mobile as a platform is not going away anytime soon.

People aren't bitter because Sega still makes mobile games, people are bitter because they won't make more games like the ones they enjoyed years ago.

Top Bottom