• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA World Drivers Championship (Arcade, UE4)

"Yea I know about the new Daytona (and have already written it off), but the reasoning for the lack of H shifter stings even worse with this announcement."

I wouldn't be so sure that's an H-pattern shifter unless they're doing Daytona style drifting here. It makes no sense in a modern GT car as they're all using Paddle Shifters. The article implies the cabinet will have paddle shifters and indeed you can kind of make out red paddle shifters behind the wheel in the cabinet renders.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like yet another 'realistic' driving game..how exciting.

Gimme arcade racers goddammit.

It is an arcade racer. I mean, it's literally an arcade racer. There's no sim gameplay.

Synth

It's been out for a while. I played it. It's good!

I haven't played it yet myself, but a guy that plays Daytona regularly with us on XBL has had nothing good to say about it at all. He compared it to CCE, which is basically kryptonite to me.

I wouldn't be so sure that's an H-pattern shifter unless they're doing Daytona style drifting here. It makes no sense in a modern GT car as they're all using Paddle Shifters. The article implies the cabinet will have paddle shifters and indeed you can kind of make out red paddle shifters behind the wheel in the cabinet renders.

I dunno man... it sure looks like one (including the ridges it seems to slot into for each gear). As a 45 player online arcade game I can't imagine they're too concerned with realism. They've probably just opted to give the option for both sequential shifting with the paddles, alongside the shifter.

In a parallel world, my brother does.

But in that world, we have console Daytona 2.

And in that world Daytona USA is the second largest eSport, just behind Quake.

Oh and SEGA kinda dominates the console space, and arcades are thriving.

Raitaro

When's Outrun 3, fam?

Came to post this. Either they are leading up to it by getting their feet wet first or they haven't been able to get the Ferrari license I fear.

I do remember a Sega rep mentioning it was on their radar not that long ago though, so fingers crossed!

"I dunno man... it sure looks like one (including the ridges it seems to slot into for each gear). As a 45 player online arcade game I can't imagine they're too concerned with realism. They've probably just opted to give the option for both sequential shifting with the paddles, alongside the shifter."

Yeah, it's certainly possible. I would agree that I doubt this'll be realistic and over the top drifting would certainly make sense with an h-pattern shifter. And I mean, look at the course map in the screenshot. Large, long sweeping curves, kinda begs for super arcade-y drifting.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Came to post this. Either they are leading up to it by getting their feet wet first or they haven't been able to get the Ferrari license I fear.

I do remember a Sega rep mentioning it was on their radar not that long ago though, so fingers crossed!

SEGA's road to 2020 initiative involved resurrecting dormant franchises, and this WDC game carries some new 'SEGA Drive' branding...

Not impossible.

Raitaro

SEGA's road to 2020 initiative involved resurrecting dormant franchises, and this WDC game carries some new 'SEGA Drive' branding...

Not impossible.

Let's just hope Yu Suzuki is done with Shenmue 3 by then so he can act as a consultant for it ;-)

Shaneus

I actually have it on good authority that this is *NOT* live action footage, but actually in-game graphics. The only part that's live action is the part showing humans.
Dude, there is no way that isn't real footage. The GTA copyright logo on the corner stands for the GT Association. That means it's footage shot for broadcast, I'd say.

JamboGT

That's real race footage, have watched some of those races.....

Hmm wonder if this is why there has been a lack of SuperGT in GT Sport footage?

Yep:
1jDecme.jpg

Please don't fuck this up, SEGA...

Ikebukuro and Akihabara, definitely I'll be there

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Interested to see how this pans out, although I get an inkling this may be more F355 Challenge than Scud race. Someone really needs to reignite the old school race space and I'd love it to be Sega!

I do hope they don't westernise this too much and instead go all Japa-Kawaii in the out of race presentation with Super GT race queens in full effect.

https://supergt.net/gallerys/index/photos/all/all/gt500?tag=RACE_QUEEN

I don't see how race queens are any different than normal grid girls.

RAIDEN1

So I assume then Sega are long past that stage when they used to be producing cutting edge Model 3, 4, 5 boards etc....and getting the likes of AM2 to produce some kick-ass arcade games....now it's just a case of using Unreal engine 4..

Lucumo

So I assume then Sega are long past that stage when they used to be producing cutting edge Model 3, 4, 5 boards etc....and getting the likes of AM2 to produce some kick-ass arcade games....now it's just a case of using Unreal engine 4..

Seems like that. I never really got the excitement regarding engines anyway. Who cares whether it's UE4 or not? Your word, "just", nails it, in my opinion.

With Sega on board, I think that would make Koei Tecmo and Konami the only major Japanese console publishers who don't have at least one UE4 game in development.

Theonik

Seems like that. I never really got the excitement regarding engines anyway. Who cares whether it's UE4 or not? Your word, "just", nails it, in my opinion.
I mean, if you look at major publishers like SEGA as putting investment to try and advance game technology obviously them using UE4 is bad because they aren't developing that cutting edge anymore.

If you care about SEGA as a business and the quality of their games, the more efficient they can get their game development the better. There is not so much reason for every Japanese dev to bog themselves in making their own toolchains. This opens a lot more time and effort for making the games themselves. Of course UE4 is much better productivity wise than they in-house tools it's replacing which has in part contributed to the sort of JP game renaissance we are seeing. (partly triggered by Epic opening a studio in Japan allowing them to provide business support there)

oneida

Model 3 is just a specialized computer. Unreal is an engine. they aren't mutually exclusive...

Lucumo

I mean, if you look at major publishers like SEGA as putting investment to try and advance game technology obviously them using UE4 is bad because they aren't developing that cutting edge anymore.

If you care about SEGA as a business and the quality of their games, the more efficient they can get their game development the better. There is not so much reason for every Japanese dev to bog themselves in making their own toolchains. This opens a lot more time and effort for making the games themselves. Of course UE4 is much better productivity wise than they in-house tools it's replacing which has in part contributed to the sort of JP game renaissance we are seeing. (partly triggered by Epic opening a studio in Japan allowing them to provide business support there)

I think it's neither good nor bad that they are using UE4. For arcade games, you ideally want companies to push technology, so it seems counter-intuitive to praise the use of this specific engine. Ideally, you would want something specifically tailored to your needs.
In the end, all I want is Sega making money, considering I will always remain hopeful of a proper SEGA revival (which will never happen in the way I want it to happen).

"I think it's neither good nor bad that they are using UE4. For arcade games, you ideally want companies to push technology, so it seems counter-intuitive to praise the use of this specific engine. Ideally, you would want something specifically tailored to your needs.
In the end, all I want is Sega making money, considering I will always remain hopeful of a proper SEGA revival (which will never happen in the way I want it to happen)."

Companies haven't done this in the arcade space since...Lindbergh? Chihiro? like 12 years ago? And the Namco arcade machines for their fighting games were always Playstation-based. The Bemani series has used low end PC hardware since 2004. There hasn't been a cutting edge arcade system since Model 3. They've all been piggybacking off of consoles or made with middle or low end PC hardware.

That way of thinking is *long* gone.

Theonik

"Companies haven't done this in the arcade space since...Lindbergh? Chihiro? like 12 years ago? And the Namco arcade machines for their fighting games were always Playstation-based. The Bemani series has used low end PC hardware since 2004. There hasn't been a cutting edge arcade system since Model 3. They've all been piggybacking off of consoles or made with middle or low end PC hardware.

That way of thinking is *long* gone."

Chihiro was Xbox based. Lindbergh was a midrange PC from the time. Really the business of making expensive arcade hardware is too expensive now on the processing side and the business case for it is long past. Where arcades are now especially in the west but less so in Japan is in pushing 'experiences' lightgun setups with big screens, racing wheels and the like. If you can do that with off the shelf hardware then so be it.

Theonik

The last time SEGA did this was in the Model 3 iirc, if you ignore some bespoke games, though NAOMI brought a ton of very interesting ideas hardware wise and was still an interesting design. (The GD-ROM drive was re-used on the Triforce and Chihiro and was a very novel concept in how it worked, the boards also supported being combined to increase processing power. Up to 16 boards iirc. But the hardware itself was basically a SEGA Dreamcast.

Lucumo

"Companies haven't done this in the arcade space since...Lindbergh? Chihiro? like 12 years ago? And the Namco arcade machines for their fighting games were always Playstation-based. The Bemani series has used low end PC hardware since 2004. There hasn't been a cutting edge arcade system since Model 3. They've all been piggybacking off of consoles or made with middle or low end PC hardware.

That way of thinking is *long* gone."

Yep, unfortunately. That's also the reason why I used "ideally", twice. But I still think it can make a comeback, considering VR and considering Japan and their limited space.

"The last time SEGA did this was in the Model 3 iirc, if you ignore some bespoke games, though NAOMI brought a ton of very interesting ideas hardware wise and was still an interesting design. (The GD-ROM drive was re-used on the Triforce and Chihiro and was a very novel concept in how it worked, the boards also supported being combined to increase processing power. Up to 16 boards iirc. But the hardware itself was basically a SEGA Dreamcast."

Yeah, that's kind of what I said.

Theonik

Yep, unfortunately. That's also the reason why I used "ideally", twice. But I still think it can make a comeback, considering VR and considering Japan and their limited space.
Companies are already doing that in Japan using the HTC Vive in an arcade concept with ambient effects scents etc. The thing is that again you can use off the shelf hardware to make very nice experiences without bankrupting your company.

Yeah, that's kind of what I said.
/nuance/

Lucumo

Companies are already doing that in Japan using the HTC Vive in an arcade concept with ambient effects scents etc. The thing is that again you can use off the shelf hardware to make very nice experiences without bankrupting your company.
They do? Damn, I missed that.

...but they could have even better experiences. Nah, I get what you are saying. I guess the final solution is to develop the perfect arcade VR .hack game.

"Companies are already doing that in Japan using the HTC Vive in an arcade concept with ambient effects scents etc. The thing is that again you can use off the shelf hardware to make very nice experiences without bankrupting your company."

Yeah, there's a lot you can do with the hardware available now. And there's just no more room for the kind of leap in graphics technology that Model 3 was, barring some major breakthrough in GPU/CPU engineering.

lupinko

Since when did those happen? Lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So this is what happens when Total War goes above & beyond expectations.

Looking forward to trying it out in 2018.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Remember that NASCAR Arcade game Sega did? That game was fun, maybe they can hook up with the NASCAR Heat guys and do a sequel.

Sini

"I dunno man... it sure looks like one (including the ridges it seems to slot into for each gear). As a 45 player online arcade game I can't imagine they're too concerned with realism. They've probably just opted to give the option for both sequential shifting with the paddles, alongside the shifter."

Yeah, it's certainly possible. I would agree that I doubt this'll be realistic and over the top drifting would certainly make sense with an h-pattern shifter. And I mean, look at the course map in the screenshot. Large, long sweeping curves, kinda begs for super arcade-y drifting.
Why are you not using quote button?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Believe what you want to believe but it's true guys. Suzuki-san himself told me in person it's in-game footage. They're able to do these graphics because it's running on the new
Model 4 prototype.

In all seriousness this seems like a game I can certainly co-sign if it ever gets a PC/Console release.

steveovig

How does online play in Arcades work exactly? You'd think they'd want quick plays and I can't imagine setting up a race online would be amazingly quick. Forgive my ignorance but have there been online arcade games in the past?

BTW, I echo the sentiment of wanting this for a home release.

oneida

How does online play in Arcades work exactly? You'd think they'd want quick plays and I can't imagine setting up a race online would be amazingly quick. Forgive my ignorance but have there been online arcade games in the past?

BTW, I echo the sentiment of wanting this for a home release.
tbh online play has been a component of arcade games for roughly as long as it has been a component of console games. the reason these games are profitable (in Japan) despite being $1 to play is that a shitload of people will be playing.

(in Japan)

Top Bottom