• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate confirms Wray as next FBI director

WiseguyMVP

And this guy apparently has ties to the Trump families real estate business through a law firm. Ruh-roh

The Senate on Tuesday voted to confirm Christopher A. Wray as the next FBI director, filling a critical post that has remained vacant since President Trump fired James B. Comey in May.

The vote on Wray’s nomination is ongoing but he has secured the needed votes for confirmation.

The Senate on Tuesday voted to confirm Christopher A. Wray as the next FBI director, filling a critical post that has remained vacant since President Trump fired James B. Comey in May.

The vote on Wray’s nomination is ongoing but he has secured the needed votes for confirmation.

Trump’s firing of Comey immediately led to accusations that he was trying to impede the bureau’s Russia investigation and ultimately led to the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller. Comey later testified that Trump asked him for a “loyalty” oath and to drop a probe of former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn’s contacts with Russian officials.

Wray, a former senior Justice Department official known for his low-key demeanor, pledged to lawmakers during his confirmation hearing that he would never pledge loyalty to the president and that if Trump ever pressured him to drop an investigation, he would push back or resign. This pledge appeared to gain him the confidence of Senate Judiciary Committee lawmakers, who unanimously approved his nomination and urged their colleagues to vote in favor his confirmation

New FBI Director Christopher Wray, seen here in a file photo, has said he would resign if pressured to drop any investigations. (Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
By Karoun Demirjian
August 1 at 5:13 PM

The Daily 202 newsletter
PowerPost's must-read morning briefing for decision-makers.
Trump’s firing of Comey immediately led to accusations that he was trying to impede the bureau’s Russia investigation and ultimately led to the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller. Comey later testified that Trump asked him for a “loyalty” oath and to drop a probe of former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn’s contacts with Russian officials.

Wray, a former senior Justice Department official known for his low-key demeanor, pledged to lawmakers during his confirmation hearing that he would never pledge loyalty to the president and that if Trump ever pressured him to drop an investigation, he would push back or resign. This pledge appeared to gain him the confidence of Senate Judiciary Committee lawmakers, who unanimously approved his nomination and urged their colleagues to vote in favor his confirmation.

“He told the committee that he won’t condone tampering with investigations, and that he would resign rather than be unduly influenced in any manner. Mr. Wray’s record of service, and his reputation, give us no reason to doubt him,” committee chairman Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) said Tuesday. “He made no loyalty pledges then, and I expect him never to make such a pledge moving forward.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...ifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.6674f92498cf

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He was in the justice department for two years and then later defended Christie during Bridge Gate. He really has no business heading the F.B.I.

JackDT

Let the President who just fired an FBI director for investigating him, who then reported that Trump demanded 'loyalty' above the rule of law, hand pick the next FBI directory.

No problem!

Morts

Between healthcare, the Mooch, and that Browden testimony I didn't even realize there was a nominee.

Rocwell

No need to jump the gun here even Mueller's firm had ties to Trump.
He was in the justice department for two years and then later defended Christie during Bridge Gate. He really has no business heading the F.B.I.
Nevermind, carry on.

jtb

Banned
Apparently this was part of some nominations package before the recess.

I don't know what the Dems could possibly have gotten in return, though. This is pretty embarassing.

Shauni

Being part of a firm with ties to the Trump family doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself. Mueller was part of a firm that had some ties to Ivanka and Jared.

But having said that, considering what we know about Trump and how he's structured his picks, especially post-Russia scandal, I consider it bad and most likely the end of the FBI part of the Russia investigation. Weird to see such an overwhelming confirmation, though, didn't expect that, particularly after that terrible hearing he had.

RootCause

Amazing stuff. Wonder how long it will take before they attempt to take the Mueller out, or disrupt the investigation.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Are Dems just letting this slide, hoping it turns into a shitshow with egg on the White House's face? I mean I'm all for making people feel salty, but not at the cost of ruining this nation's reputation for decades, if not, indefinitely.

Shauni

Disappointed in Harris, Murphy, and Bernie. Should not be voting on a new FBI director until the investigation is completed

The guy was getting confirmed either way, it really didn't matter how the Democrats voted. It's weird so many voted for him, though.

Apparently this was part of some nominations package before the recess.

I don't know what the Dems could possibly have gotten in return, though. This is pretty embarassing.

This is purely speculation on my part, but maybe it has something to do with that supposed legislation or whatever it was that Lindsay Graham mentioned at the end of last week to try and do more to protect Mueller's investigation on Trump-Russia?

Either that or something like the GOP Senators agreeing to start being more bipartisan on the healthcare issue would be my guess. Again though, that's all purely speculation on my part.

Alternate reality question: Hillary wins election, fires Comey, survives impeachment attempt (obviously), and nominates a new FBI director.

How many Republican Senators vote to confirm?

Steel

Banned
When did Trump 1st announce him? Today?

They sure didn't give anyone any time to investigate his background...

There was a hearing a couple weeks ago.

Alternate reality question: Hillary wins election, fires Comey, survives impeachment attempt (obviously), and nominates a new FBI director.

How many Republican Senators vote to confirm?

Considering they gave Comey hell, I do wonder.

Top Bottom