• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

Shauni

Some shocking footage of McCain turning against his party here:

gwz6Tis.gif

McCain could've stopped this from happening earlier, but a decisive defeat like this gives the GOP less of a chance to salvage something right? Or is there something I'm missing.

EYEL1NER

Fuck you, McConnell. Talking about United States citizens "suffering" under Obamacare.
"Oh, I'm suffering so much with all this health care. All of these vitally necessary treatments I needed that I couldn't get before are just so unbearable! And I haven't even gone bankrupt in the process?! Why won't anyone stop this madness!!!"

Fucking Mitch McConnell... Fucking GOP...

So did McCain vote to move debate forward a few days ago just so he could deliver the killing blow himself?

I'm sure there's more nuance to his positions, but I choose to believe that hilarious reality instead.

"You fuckers called me in after I told you I have brain cancer. You wasted some of my last days on earth, and now I'm going to waste your time by making everyone debate this."

MartyStu

I would also like this answered please.

As many times as they want.

They have tried to repeal it literally dozens of times while Obama was in office.

The hope is that it becomes increasing politically toxic to try. Especially to try and fail miserably.

hamchan

McCain turn is pretty damn shocking. There was so much vitriol said against him the last few days on this forum, even I was feeling like it like a Two Minutes Hate.

kirblar

So did McCain vote to move debate forward a few days just so he could deliver the killing blow himself?

I'm sure there's more nuance to his positions, but I choose to believe that hilarious reality instead.

"You fuckers called me in after I told you I have brain cancer. You wasted some of my last days on earth, and now I'm going to waste yours."
Yes. They took him neither seriously nor literally on his threats. (tbf, neither did us Dems) This was their reward for not doing so.

Wouldn't be surprised if I wake up tomorrow morning to find that Republicans are already trying to push another version through. This is like the third time the health care bill has died, but it always seems to come back.

Toxi

Banned
Can we not turn McCain into a hero here? He is still literally and figuratively cancer.
As someone who had cynically written off John McCain long ago, I'm just kinda flabbergasted to see him actually break ranks.

It's like seeing a man in a wheelchair get up and tap dance. Even if he sits back in the wheelchair right afterwards, that's gonna leave an impression.

Shauni

Trump stay losing. Anyone know why McCain voted no?

Not yet. It could something as simple as the 'skinny repeal' not being what he was promised it was and he was pissed off that he dragged his rotting brain self out of the hospital for it, or it could be more complicated that in what will be perhaps of his last acts in Congress, his last important act at the very least, he decided to give a big fuck you to Trump for all the shit he said about him. We'll probably never know for sure.

What is this McCain face turn. Literally he stopped the damn match.

I want to believe that McCain's cancer diagnosis has given him some perspective, that he's finally had enough of Trump, that he's been holding a grudge since the primary season, and that the ban on transgender troops was the last straw.

It's totally not true, but that's my personal headcanon.

danthefan

Fuck you, McConnell. Talking about United States citizens "suffering" under Obamacare.
"Oh, I'm suffering so much with all this health care. All of these vitally necessary treatments I needed that I couldn't get before are just so unbearable!"

Fucking Mitch McConnell... Fucking GOP...

Was there anything at all in this new bill that even slightly helped the working or middle class? Is there even a tenuous example they can use to show it would help some Americans or are they just straight up lying about this shit?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I absolutely cannot wait for his morning twitter storm in which he berates and slanders a man dieing of cancer that he pulled out of care to serve his shitty agenda.

McCain, Collins and Murkowski are about to be the subject of his twitter tantrums.

This is good news. But if we've learned anything from this bill, do NOT let your guard down. Until we have a Dem house or a Dem president, this is not over.

Shauni

McCain could've stopped this from happening earlier, but a decisive defeat like this gives the GOP less of a chance to salvage something right? Or is there something I'm missing.

I don't know about that, exactly, but it basically means they wasted a very long week and time doing all of this.

kirblar

McCain, Collins and Murkowski are about to be the subject of his twitter tantrums.
Murkowski very specifically does not need the GOP (Dems actually helped vote her in after she was primaried) and could easily flip after the '18 midterms if the Dems pick up any seats.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gonna eat this here crow in honor of McMaverick.

edcard_gbbc_american_crow_paul-powers-_ga_2012_kk.jpg

McCain should not suddenly be hailed as a hero because of this. This is most likely due to the enormous backlash and I guarantee the "maverick" will fall in line with the GOP on the next big issue.

Top Bottom